Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Ozza »

e17 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:38 pm Cullen & Grady* would have been better than what we had on Saturday.

*possibly even in goal
They’ll be like new signings
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Ozza wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:38 pm To me a large part of the reason we’re in this more is because of lack of investment from the dildos, why the **** would they give him money in jan unless there’s serious concern we’re going down?

And if they think that it’ll be a stop gap buy or loans
Aaaaah the classic Uncle Avram January - who can forget it?

Wayne Bridge having the worst debut of any player ever, Demba Ba being played as a winger, Robbie Keane proving he was true Tottscum
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

I’d locked that memory away, you b*stard
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:48 pm Moyes football was dire risk adverse football.

It's probably why he isn't working at the moment.
Not to mention lost the dressing room, which wasn't the first time he'd done that in the Premier League either
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Not that I want Pellegrini gone any time soon, my realistic preference at the end of a season will still be Eddie Howe, for as long as he's still at Bournemouth and that opinion has remained ever since he got Bournemouth promoted in style. I really do think he's the kind of manager made for us.
Last edited by Colours never run on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ozza wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:38 pm To me a large part of the reason we’re in this mire is because of lack of investment from the dildos, why the **** would they give him money in jan unless there’s serious concern we’re going down?

that's a Catch-22 imvho

if we're not in the relegation mire, there's no need to buy
if we are then they're not going to want to take on a big money signing that might have a relegation clause in the contract
if we are then it might be they won't want to give Pellegrini any more money in case they get shot and a new bloke won't want his squad
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Ozza wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:38 pm To me a large part of the reason we’re in this mire is because of lack of investment from the dildos, why the **** would they give him money in jan unless there’s serious concern we’re going down?

I certainly agree they could/should have invested more but the crux is the amount they have invested has been badly invested. We're not at the stage yet to simply add one £40-50m per season. They needed to be far more astute and sign players to build a squad first, this maybe should be in the "has he taken us as far as he can thread" but I don't think it's lack of money that's the underlying problem it's a lack of footballing intelligence when it comes to player recruitment. How much control does Husillos really have? I'm struggling to believe we got a DoF that thinks Wilshere on a 3 year deal or letting Obiang leave and not replacing him is good football business.

For example Haller; he seems require 2 runners to be at his best, we have one in Antonio who then gets injured and one prospect in Diangana who we loaned out... So now we have a £45m pound player that is isolated as we don't play to his strengths because we don't have the players. We could have had Rondon for £15m and had another £30m to play with. (I accept Pellers may not have wanted him/the money in China may have turned his head but this is the kinda business that needs to be done under these owners as we know next level is just a soundbite).

We're a truly baffling club to understand at the moment. ( I'm well aware of the 3 year cycle :wink: )
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Alex Neil as head coach.

Got Preston playing some good stuff on a shoestring and he’s young and British. Make Zaba and Nolan his assistants.

Spend the whole January (guffaw) transfer budget and Summer transfer budget on the best and brightest from the Championship and League 1. Get Diangana back, promote Holland and anyone else who is promising from the youngsters and lets get our identity back.

I’d rather finish mid-table with a load of home grown lads and a manager who’s got potential than finish mid table paying a retiree multiple millions to spend more multiple millions on foreign mercenaries who give zero fuckz about my club!
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Faithless wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:56 pm I certainly agree they could/should have invested more but the crux is the amount they have invested has been badly invested. We're not at the stage yet to simply add one £40-50m per season. They needed to be far more astute and sign players to build a squad first, this maybe should be in the "has he taken us as far as he can thread" but I don't think it's lack of money that's the underlying problem it's a lack of footballing intelligence when it comes to player recruitment. How much control does Husillos really have? I'm struggling to believe we got a DoF that thinks Wilshere on a 3 year deal or letting Obiang leave and not replacing him is good football business.

For example Haller; he seems require 2 runners to be at his best, we have one in Antonio who then gets injured and one prospect in Diangana who we loaned out... So now we have a £45m pound player that is isolated as we don't play to his strengths because we don't have the players. We could have had Rondon for £15m and had another £30m to play with. (I accept Pellers may not have wanted him/the money in China may have turned his head but this is the kinda business that needs to be done under these owners as we know next level is just a soundbite).

We're a truly baffling club to understand at the moment. ( I'm well aware of the 3 year cycle :wink: )
This post makes a lot of sense.

There has been investment over the last 5 years, but it doesn't seem to be good investment.

Or perhaps we just need a better manager to get them playing well.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Fabianski 7M
Roberto 0M
Martin 0M
Zaba 0M
Fredericks 0M
Balbuena 4M
Oggie 7M
Diop 22M
Cresswell 3M
Masuaku 6M

40M or thereabout = ONE Anderson

10 defensive players and we spent less (or similar) than we did for one wide midfielder.

not saying that always spending big gets you top quality, but it does at least show that doing things overall on the cheap doesn't always work either.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:12 pm not saying that always spending big gets you top quality, but it does at least show that doing things overall on the cheap doesn't always work either.
Not suggesting doing things on the cheap CA but doing things with intelligence given the budget restraints (we all want more spent but with GSB we know what we're getting) So to take my example we could've got Rondon (not a mouthwatering signing but proven in teams that in theory created less then we do) and had £30m to buy that elusive B2B/CDM that you, I and many, many others feel we needed/need. That's not doing it on the cheap that's sensible squad building. The fact GSB don't value defenders is a separate issue.
Last edited by Faithless on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

The problem in here is a bit like Brexit, people are more interested in pushing their own narrative than they are in actually discussing the point.

Yes we should spend more, yes are owners are c****. However.... the last poster hit the nail on the head, the management team spent £80m on Haller and Anderson when half that would’ve bought two capable player in the same positions and left £40m for a midfielder.

No doubt we could do with more money to spend, also no doubt that what we did spend should’ve been spent better.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

We can bitch all we like about spending, but we just got humped by Burnley. They've spent a lot less than us, played 4-4-2 and had Jack Cork and Ashley Westwood up against 3 of ours. We should have dominated them in midfield, but we were completely over run.

The team has no structure, discipline and don't look like they are been held to account by the manager.

Most of all, we are seriously lacking character. Burnley had bundles of it and deserved the win totally.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:03 pm We can bitch all we like about spending, but we just got humped by Burnley. They've spent a lot less than us, played 4-4-2 and had Jack Cork and Ashley Westwood up against 3 of ours. We should have dominated them in midfield, but we were completely over run.

The team has no structure, discipline and don't look like they are been held to account by the manager.

Most of all, we are seriously lacking character. Burnley had bundles of it and deserved the win totally.
I said it earlier in the thread. If Pellegrini was getting 100% out of his players then we could argue about needing more money to improve. As it is, more than half of the first team are putting in 5/10 performances. Pellegrini needs to take the blame for that.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

That's about the knub of it. As many others have commented we always look so unfit, lazy, undisciplined, uninterested and just plain f@@@@@@g useless.It seems to have been like that for many years.
We get a new manager in, for a short period there seems to be a bit of improvement then bang! We're back to square 1.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

BondsoBob wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:15 pm That's about the knub of it. As many others have commented we always look so unfit, lazy, undisciplined, uninterested and just plain f@@@@@@g useless.It seems to have been like that for many years.
We get a new manager in, for a short period there seems to be a bit of improvement then bang! We're back to square 1.
Standards are allowed to drop because we don't have a team that holds each other to account. Come Monday they'll all be pissing about laughing and joking again in training telling everyone how good the atmosphere is around the camp and we are going to work hard to put it right.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Croydon wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:21 pm Anyone who comes to us will be paid over the odds unless they are;
  • unknown
  • desperate
  • untested
G&S most likely have a reputation amongst the managerial circles and the only way they have been able to attracts managers with any modicum of nous is by paying well over the top.
This is a very good point. People act as if managers are all completely independent from each other, but like any other walk of life, they have relationships. For example Sam and Moyes were close with Alex Ferguson, and I am sure these two have relationships with younger coaches too. Moyes for example runs a lot of coaching for the SFA and works for UEFA. The idea potential candidates will not sound them, and someone like Pardew, about working for the West Ham owners is rather far-fetched. I am sure that is more than enough to scare of many promising young managers in the game.

And how they treat Pelligrini will no doubt impact their reputation among Latin coaches too, as he is one of the very best.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

They got the right man in when they chose Big Sam but on the whole they’ve appointed some weird choices since they took over.

Which year was it when they were after Billy Davies and Dave Jones and there were Cardiff fans on here saying it was a done deal?

Avram was an especially abysmal appointment- they aren’t up to it.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Talking of Avram..Pellegrini has resembled him in recent weeks, some of our performances have been that bad
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm The problem in here is a bit like Brexit, people are more interested in pushing their own narrative than they are in actually discussing the point.

Yes we should spend more, yes are owners are *****. However.... the last poster hit the nail on the head, the management team spent £80m on Haller and Anderson when half that would’ve bought two capable player in the same positions and left £40m for a midfielder.

No doubt we could do with more money to spend, also no doubt that what we did spend should’ve been spent better.
Not if the person that sanctioned £45m on Haller (Anderson and Haller were signed in different windows) was also promised funds to replace Obiang. Carvalho, Wanyama, Medel the list goes on and precedes Peller's reign.

A top class midfielder would have changed the whole outlook of this team, potentially unlocking Anderson's and Haller's partnership and then we wouldn't be calling either of them sh*t.