Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Ironing Board »

Ingwe wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 pm Patito and Ironing Board should get a room. :)
A ring!
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Well it's all got a bit narky in this thread...When's the dream team of Colin, BFS and Moyes taking over? :lol:

On a serious note relegation would only clear the decks/give youth a chance if GSB went with somebody like the Cowleys but they're much much more likely to go with a "promotion at all costs" type manager so I doubt it'd help us as a club.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1964 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

they have no long term plan in place to replace one manager with another one on the same page.

none.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

rciron wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 pm Yeee haaar!! all my ex's life in texas, that's why i hang my hat in tenessee :thdn:
And I'll substantiate the rumor that the English sense of humor is drier than the Texas sand....
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Don’t get me wrong, Pellegrini isn’t perfect. I’m just holding the owners to blame more than the manager at the moment because the same **** keeps happening over and over again, and the same **** is going to keep happening until they either adopt a different approach, or sell the club.

Any company is run from the top down and the mentality of the people in charge will 100% have an effect on the rest of the staff that operate below them. I know it’s football, but it’s like any other workplace. If you have a great line manager who’s really good at their job but doesn't get enough support from the CEO whilst the CEO also keeps increasing the targets, it’ll start to make your job harder through no fault of your own - which will negatively effect your morale.

It’s not as black and white as simply looking at how much money has been spent. As other have quite rightly pointed out, Burnley are doing alright despite spending a lot less than us.

It’s more about the expectations that are set by those in charge.

Our problem is that our owners say one thing, but do another. They said that we’d qualify for the Champions League within 7 years, they said that moving to the OS would lead to greater levels of investment which would mean we’d be able to compete for higher honours, and they said that they were hiring a world-class manager and investing in the playing squad so we could challenge higher up the table.

But none of this has actually transpired.

They say the right things, but then the investment levels don't match their lofty ambitions. As a player or manager, this would be absolutely demoralising. You join the club because they sound ambitious and like they’re moving in the right direction, but actually, you’ve been sold a complete lie and the owners don’t give you, or your manager, the support you actually need to achieve the targets that have been set.

I imagine this is what happened after Payet renewed his contract, and I imagine the same is currently happening with Anderson, Haller, Rice and the rest of the team.

If the board are actually serious about challenging for the top 6 in the near future, then they need to invest more than they have been. However, if they can’t do that, then there’s absolutely nothing wrong with saying that they hope to challenge for the top 6 in the future, after a few years of steadily investing around £25mil per season. Except they can’t say that because they told us that we’d have more money to spend if we moved to the OS.

They’ve set every single expectation that anyone connected to the club currently has. Now whether that’s because they’re trying to fleece us for as much money as they can, or whether they’re genuinely out of their depth - I’m not sure - Pinky’s thread is definitely better place for that.

But I am sure that they’re at fault for raising expectations above what they can currently deliver and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we were in the exact same position again in 18/24 months time if we did sack Pellegrini now.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Those win/loss stats just show how bad Moyes was.

I'd rather go down with the Cowleys than stay up with Moyes
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

=bristolhammerfc post_id=5560485 time=1573506729 user_id=12227]
You have tried to mask it but I know exactly what you meant. You've been caught out and you know it. Why would he "be more respectful to our fans". He wouldn't insult "your" intelligence which he couldn't do unless he was our manager and when people said it was tough to get out of the championship you said Colin has a fantastic record for getting teams out of the championship.

You meant it and you know it.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, you are not having the last word on this. That is your interpretation on what I originally posted. your imagination has worked overtime and your post was extremely bad form for a moderator to resort to insulting another member. I am merely pointing out that managers like him are what is required to get teams out of the Championship, you should know this yourself we had a similar manager who got us out of it last time. It is all irrelevant now in any case, the guy has now announced his retirement. If you really want to know who I would like as our manager, it is those Cowboys or whatever their names are at Huddersfield. Wouldn't say no to Gareth Southgate either, but that'll never happen.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Oh my goodness. Came on here this morning intent on joking Colin is now available.. been well and truly beaten to that one.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm then this
Actually, Bristol, that was my post, not Puff's...though I did have my tongue planted firmly in my cheek when I posted.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:57 am Oh my goodness. Came on here this morning intent on joking Colin is now available.. been well and truly beaten to that one.
Colin? COLIN?! Think that's funny, do ya?! MATE?! Nahhh!
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:57 am Oh my goodness. Came on here this morning intent on joking Colin is now available.. been well and truly beaten to that one.
We need Mourinho in to shake things up a bit. He would be expensive but if Sullivan is paying Pellegrini a fortune to get us relegated, then why not?
aaronhammer
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Romford_Iron, brilliant post! 100% spot on.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 341 likes
Total likes: 598 likes

Post by Croydon »

Mourinho's biggest achievement would be to get these conceding less than 3 a game.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 pm they have no long term plan in place to replace one manager with another one on the same page.

none.
Exactly this. This is likely Pellegrini's last gig, the intention should have been to get a high profile manager in like Pellegrini, change the mentality of this club and finally make us look attractive to a good upcoming manager. There is no plan or identity, we dont buy a particular type of player or try to play a certain way, there is no "philosiphy". For a prospective manager on the outside looking in they wont know what the log term plans of the club are and thats how modern day football clubs work now...except for us :lol:

I would love to see an outlay of what the board expect in the next five seasons, where we should be challenging, the money that will be invested to do this and the plans to improve the infrastructure/facilities so we no longer look like a football team from the 80's.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

The Gibbins wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:07 am Exactly this. This is likely Pellegrini's last gig, the intention should have been to get a high profile manager in like Pellegrini, change the mentality of this club and finally make us look attractive to a good upcoming manager. There is no plan or identity, we dont buy a particular type of player or try to play a certain way, there is no "philosiphy". For a prospective manager on the outside looking in they wont know what the log term plans of the club are and thats how modern day football clubs work now...except for us :lol:

I would love to see an outlay of what the board expect in the next five seasons, where we should be challenging, the money that will be invested to do this and the plans to improve the infrastructure/facilities so we no longer look like a football team from the 80's.

the problem with the approach we take is that we lurch from one manager who brings in all his own team, and the costs associated with it, to another

Id love mourinhio..what a ride that would be!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Too right. We have gone from Allardyce (save us) to Bilic (we need to play football) to Moyes (save us) and then back to Pellegrini....there is no plan. They are just so desperate to stay in this league it gets in the way of future planning.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

The Gibbins wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:07 am I would love to see an outlay of what the board expect in the next five seasons, where we should be challenging, the money that will be invested to do this and the plans to improve the infrastructure/facilities so we no longer look like a football team from the 80's.
We had that ten years ago: the "Ten Point Plan". And how much of it has actually happened...?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Sullivans Transfer policy is very similar to what the Tories have done with Police numbers... Cut 21,000 Police Jobs one year then make a song and dance about investing in 20,000 new jobs a few years later.

Under invest, under invest, spend a bit and then point to that spending whenever you are accused of under investing.

If fans stuck by Pellegrini through this rough patch (which is what it is) it would cut Sullivans antics out at the root.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

We haven't had consistency for a long time now, different managers, different ideas and any new manager needs that time to bring their own players in to instill their ideas. I don't think this squad comes close to what Pellegrini wants, bringing in as many players as he has hasn't even touched the surface as the squad needed an overhaul. We are still reliant on Noble and Snodgrass and having Zabaleta in the squad shows we are still pretty weak in quite a few areas. The transfer window last season was needed, and it was needed again this window and will be needed again in the next becuase this squad has had no proper investment or future planning for some time and we are playing catch up. It is all well and good saying we should be top 6, but i think the board assume this all comes with having a big stadium rather than the important part which is the quality of personnel..

I could list so many players in this team who are not good enough if we are aiming top 6. To replace ALL of these players takes a long time unless the board go for broke in a transfer window and sign 7 or 8 more players. The defence is the worst i have seen it in years and that takes some doing considering some of the **** i have had to watch defend our goal over the years :lol:
Graza

Post by Graza »

Sloop John B wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:35 am Sullivans Transfer policy is very similar to what the Tories have done with Police numbers... Cut 21,000 Police Jobs one year then make a song and dance about investing in 20,000 new jobs a few years later.

Under invest, under invest, spend a bit and then point to that spending whenever you are accused of under investing.

If fans stuck by Pellegrini through this rough patch (which is what it is) it would cut Sullivans antics out at the root.
It wouldn't though. He'd just lean harder into the media campaign through his usual puppets to claim the fans are all against him no matter what the truth is.