Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by hammer1975 »

It’s quite a turnaround from the summer when some were criticising how small the net spend figure was and many were saying it was ok because they trusted Pellegrini and Husillos given their track record with buys last season.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

Brown Sauce wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:47 pm I think Mario Husillos has gone.
Is this a predication or do you literally think he has gone and it is yet to be announced?
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

duncanio wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:33 pm Is this a predication or do you literally think he has gone and it is yet to be announced?
Rumours going round that he has been sacked/left. Nothing confirmed yet though.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:09 pm It’s quite a turnaround from the summer when some were criticising how small the net spend figure was and many were saying it was ok because they trusted Pellegrini and Husillos given their track record with buys last season.
Honestly I still trust Husillos and Pellegrini. Things went sideways with injury and Roberto suddenly fell apart, but I don't think their recruitment has been bad at all.
There were two big signings
Haller came out strong, then has faded as the rest of the side falls apart and he is asked to play alone up top
Fornals took his time, but as he has gotten more starts he's improved and settled.

Ajeti was brought on to be the last striker option, and he's barely been on the pitch accordingly.

Really their business over the last 2 years looks good. If you're sacking a DOF because his Free Transfer punt on a backup keeper was a disaster, well.... you aren't a well run club, nobody gets every transfer right. Of course.... we aren't a well run club, so that's exactly what we will do. Panic react to every sign of adversity, blame the nearest scapegoat, then tear everything down, so expectations will be lowered.... rinse and repeat
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 615 likes

Post by NedN »

I get the feeling they are considering sacking Mario because they have to sack someone they can blame for the performances, and he’s probably the cheapest to sack.
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

I’ve been told he walked.

Time will tell.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Brown Sauce wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:47 pm I think Mario Husillos has gone.
Reported in the Guardian West Ham will try to sell 33-year-old Spanish goalkeeper Roberto in January and part ways with the director of football who brought him to the club in the summer, may have come from this
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Aceface wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:34 am
This season has been a crushing disappointment in terms of the gate being open but us not being ready to take advantage of it – will we ever see Man Utd, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal play like midtable sides in the same season again? – but in terms of it being anything much different than most of our own seasons I don't think it is. If you remove the Roberto fixtures our points accumulation has been at a decent clip in the rest.
This.

If only we hadn’t imploded with Fabianski’s injury we could have been top five easily (Burnley, Newcastle and Sheffield United could all easily have been wins on early season form). That thought alone makes me so annoyed at how West Ham had a chance and failed to take it.

it’s just what we do.
mattyD
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by mattyD »

mrbluesky wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:23 pm This.

If only we hadn’t imploded with Fabianski’s injury we could have been top five easily (Burnley, Newcastle and Sheffield United could all easily have been wins on early season form). That thought alone makes me so annoyed at how West Ham had a chance and failed to take it.

it’s just what we do.

We didn't replace Hernandez, Perez or Adrian. And didn't strengthen the areas that needed it. Haller has not done what Arnie used to - and I know he doesn't play like that so why are we not playing to his strengths? All in all we're far weaker throughout the squad. The only decent performances have been when we've had Mike on the pitch to stretch the game. Two injuries and we dropped like a stone.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

So sully has managed to get rid of the bloke he never wanted in the first place, brilliant.

Take it mini Putin will be installing himself as primo DOF (although I doubt he ever relinquished control)

Still it’s another salary saved in this year of cutting the wage bill.

What a joke
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Ozza wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:35 pm So sully has managed to get rid of the bloke he never wanted in the first place, brilliant.

Take it mini Putin will be installing himself as primo DOF (although I doubt he ever relinquished control)

Still it’s another salary saved in this year of cutting the wage bill.

What a joke
He’ll leak that he’s going to replace Husillos in the summer with a new DoF......secretly hoping that getting his hands back on the controls in January he can convince everyone how good he is and keep the role himself.

We’ll never progress as a club with him in control. How many years does he need to prove he’s actually not very good at spotting the right players for the team to move forward?
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Because every duffer he’s brought in is the managers fault and every success is down to him.

Horrible little ****
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Ozza wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:56 pm Because history says they always have and always will. Do you honestly believe that the contracts being handed out are pellers? Didn’t Pellers say he wanted to replace some outgoing players but yet we didn’t. Call him many things, however his CV would say he’s no mug, unlike the people in charge
You don't think he selects players ? Sure he doesn't prepare contracts,
If he's not a mug (and i agree he isn't) why has he not walked away or criticised transfer policy ?
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Ask yourself why the only manager who has ever spoken out was Zola, who wasn’t under this lots contracts and you’ll find your answer

And why would anyone ever walk away from a job in football that’s silly talk
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Love you, Oz :thup:
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Ozza wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:09 pm Ask yourself why the only manager who has ever spoken out was Zola, who wasn’t under this lots contracts and you’ll find your answer

And why would anyone ever walk away from a job in football that’s silly talk
I don't go around worrying about it enough to ask myself questions. It's West Ham and i'm conditioned to it.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Rays Rock wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm If he's not a mug (and i agree he isn't) why has he not walked away or criticised transfer policy ?
DS: "One last thing before we sign the papers, Pellers. Just initial this non-disclosure would ya?"

MP: "No, es loco"

DS: "7 Mill do ya?"

MP: *scribbles furiously*

Later......

DS: "It woz all Pellers' fault. And he woz on 7 mill a year"

MP: "Mmmmmm hmmmm mmmm hmmm hmmmm"
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Can we all get our heads around the fact Husillos was anything but a DoF, the whole appointment of a manager picking a DoF and the dwarf allowing it shows you all you need to know about the ****wit who runs our football club.

I think I've said it before, but the DoF is there to set the agenda on how the whole club plays, who the manager is and that he brings in players to match the system and ethos.

Personally I would not attach any blame to Husillos's door for anything, nor would I lean towards giving him much credit since his job was nowhere approaching a DoF role.

Everything about how our club is run is a joke, but it's a joke that isn't even ****ing funny.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

More a 'head scout' than Dof?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

peter49uk wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:09 pm Reported in the Guardian West Ham will try to sell 33-year-old Spanish goalkeeper Roberto in January and part ways with the director of football who brought him to the club in the summer, may have come from this
Nice little earner for Mario. He’ll give his old pal Manuel a Golden Handshake goodbye in the car park!