Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

sussexhammer74
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by sussexhammer74 »

I am listening to Talksport!! Just to add to my misery from last night.

They are currently talking to Ian Abrahams. He said the board are split and when pressed on who on the board are split, he said it was Gold and Sullivan, one wants a change and one wants to wait and see.

He then said "his sources" say if there is a change they will go for an englishman.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

What's rodent up to these days?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 285 likes
Total likes: 996 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

That list looks about as appealing as the general election choices.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 191 likes

Post by Prob »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:59 am Yes net spend is low etc etc but Pellegrini/Husillos were the ones who decided to spend £25M on Fornals in the summer and not a strong centre midfielder which it is blaringly obvious we have needed for about 4 years.
Maybe they was told they can only go after these type of players because agents have been offering them to the club?

In the summer we put way too much onto Rice and hope that Wilshire would be fit for more than 2 games
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 am Reading the last few pages there seems to be a feeling on here that we need a philosophy and a manager that matches that but how long will that last before the boos start. We keep bringing in someone to sort out the mess, then get bored of that so boo until we get a 'flair' manager, then that goes wrong so we want them out and a more pragmatism to keep us up, rinse repeat.

If we got, for example, Howe and in trying to create a philosophy he took us down and not straight back up would fans still want that? If we get Benitez how long before his pragmatic approach is not what people want 'I go to be entertained, the results don't matter'.

I said it when the Bilic out stuff was at its peak and again with Moyes, this is fast becoming an impossible job and not just because of the board.
That really is modern day football fans that our owners are going out of their way to attract.

The young John Lyall had a philosophy that most fans of the time understood so it helped him survive his first relegation and see us eventually bounce back stronger, I honestly believe if most traditional West Ham fans bought into their philosophy that they would back a young hungry manager even if we suffered a temporary relegation as part of that journey but what they won't suffer is someone who has a philosophy they don't buy into it doing that.

What has made things worse in the board have actively driven away many traditional thinking West Ham fans and chased the modern fan where everything is about the here and now so you get the situation you describe unfortunately more and more and many of us older fans (myself included) have fallen into the trap of thinking like that too which allowed the owners sell our home and forget what once special about supporting West Ham.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Find the worst on the list and it’ll be him.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

According to Moose on TalkSport we have a split decision among the Dildos; one wants him out and the other thinks he can turn it around.
Its been like this with every manager. Wonder which ones which?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Martin O'Neil.

I hadn't considered him an option till I just saw his name on that list. Gonna stick some money on it now though.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

There speaks the voice of reason SLWO

You simply cannot placate some people. Opinions change so quickly that you would be building the foundation on sand as the some support would slither away when the going gets tough.

If if if, we get rid of Pellergini, and they go down the long term route, they may as well go young for the longevity and why not the untested lower league route for a rising talent to create a new identity rather than a re-hash of an old stagers previous exploits.
Last edited by Rays Rock on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I remember at the time he took the job, he said, " I won't fail! He did, I have not made that up. It is just that for certain things I have a photographic memory, but for some others, my memory is like a sieve
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Technically he hasn’t failed as the season is not even at halfway point
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2090 likes
Total likes: 1795 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

johnnyb wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:33 am Quoted as saying he will not be coming back to the PL any time soon. Let's see.
Don’t worry, once he gets sacked in China for having the worst form in the league he will gladly come here. He will then recreate the swashbuckling football of his legendary Newcastle United team, and all for a mere 10M per season in wages!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

What are the old c**** waiting for? Us to be turned over by Saints ?
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Who would be the last manager that we had that took the club forward ?

We are, based upon our last league finish, at the same approx point and roughly the same points as we were 10,20 etc... years ago ! But aside from the metric points and position, who was the last manager of the past 20 years that you actually felt the club had moved forward and wasn’t the inconsistent basket case that we are known for ?
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

If they stick to their usual MO, they will be contemplating whether we are *just* good enough to avoid the drop with MP in charge. The lack of confidence in him will be the excuse for not spending in January. We'll limp though the season, finish about 16th and then they'll pull the trigger.

As others have said, the problem isn't the manager, it's the clowns above him. They'll bring in a replacement, fanfares, some spending in July/August. Then this conversation will play out again in two years.
funky chicken
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1237 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The daft thing is if we wait until after the Southampton game and have been thrashed, not to mention are now in the bottom 3, we will become even more unattractive for interested managers and may decide this is too much of a job to handle so will give it a swerve.

Maybe that's what Sully wants so he has the excuse to hire a cheap free manager likes Moyes as no other managers were 'available' at this moment in time. :asleep:
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by johnnyb »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:49 am According to Moose on TalkSport we have a split decision among the Dildos; one wants him out and the other thinks he can turn it around.
Its been like this with every manager. Wonder which ones which?
Yes that was the case with Moyes iirc. I think Gold is the one reluctant to change.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Sullivan will have the final say anyway.
OFT
Has liked: 2953 likes
Total likes: 1745 likes

Post by OFT »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm What are the old ***** waiting for? Us to be turned over by Saints ?
They're waiting for a gentleman to fall on his sword.

Good luck with that sully
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

Our esteemed owner believes he can do as good a job as 90% of most managers , so there`s our answer. We have player/ managers, step forward David Sullivan proud owner/manager, let`s all welcome him into the dugout. I have a spare booster seat he can use.