Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Double post
brooking_1980
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

One thing I got to applaud Pellegrini for is he got 1 over Sully.

Right now, Pellegrini has forced Sully into a game of Russian Roulette. Does he pay off Pellegrini and get someone in who will need funds, but might keep us up and keep Sully on the Premier League gravy train, or stick with Pellegrini and fingers crossed 3 Teams do worse than us.........

Honestly, I don't see many people who've got one over on Sully so Pellegrini, hats off to you !
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

When he does go we need to have a serious rethink about how the club approaches managers.

They usually last two years at best, and when they go we employ someone with a completely different philosophy who takes on a group of players not purchased to fit his plan.

We spend fortunes on expensive managers every couple of years and fortunes on new players to change the way we play.

Get a proper sporting/technical director and get a long term strategy on how we want to play. Then get players in to fit that ‘culture’. Don’t spend a fortune on a big name manager, get a head coach who understands how he is expected to play and that recruitment is not his remit. I don’t care if no-ones ever heard of him before, in fact that might be exactly what we need.

No big money or long contracts. Put that money into the scouting network & get the recruitment right.

Obviously this is just my opinion & will likely never happen. But for me we’re just making the same mistakes over & over.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Irrons wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:47 pm Hughton is the sort of manager we need if Pellegrini goes. I think he'd give the squad the kick up the backside and will stop the leaking of goals at the back. Ex-player as well. Best realistic option available right now imo
I agree but which , apart from the ex -player bit, is exactly what Moyes and Pearce managed last time we looked a shambles.

People will still moan we’re not playing exciting football though.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

If they appoint Moyes then I am done.

Final death nail in the club
Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce »

What’s the point if they do? He’ll be gone in a year or two, probably at great expense and leaving behind a team nobody wants.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

West Ham United manager Manuel Pellegrini: "We need to recover in 48 hours and we must try to win our home games because in the last games we played there we have not collected the amount of points that we need." What utter drivel!!
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1163 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Samba wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:39 am I think that Sully (like most of us) believes that the return of Fabianski will end our relegation fears & that he won't then need to change the manager, or at least until the Summer.
Reckon this is right. Sulli is probably aware of the fan base response to Moyes or Hughton but doesn’t want to risk an ‘unproven’ PL manager like Kovac (I fall he was even interested) in the position we are in. He’s probably hoping we can scrape through this season with Pellegrini and then have better (and cheaper) options in the summer.

However, I’m less convinced about Fabianski’s return alone being enough to keep us up though -we absolutely need a new athletic option in central midfield as Earl you in January as possible.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:48 am West Ham United manager Manuel Pellegrini: "We need to recover in 48 hours and we must try to win our home games because in the last games we played there we have not collected the amount of points that we need." What utter drivel!!
Is it?

We surely do have to try and win our next 2.

We surely haven’t taken the points we’ve needed to at home recently.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:48 am West Ham United manager Manuel Pellegrini: "We need to recover in 48 hours and we must try to win our home games because in the last games we played there we have not collected the amount of points that we need." What utter drivel!!
He's used this 'we must try to win home games' line all season, then we lose the next home game.

He should have gone after the Burnley game. It's ridiculous he's still here.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

I thought exactly the same thing, insert away games to replace home games and I’m sure that’s what he said previously.

It’s just the same old tripe. The stats are there to see, constantly out ran, out passed and out paced in pretty much every game for the last two to three months with the odd exception.
Man City aside we started the season really well and have just dropped like a stone. Something is very wrong in that dressing room.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

What insight,eh? :)

https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA
denzel

Post by denzel »

I wouldn’t describe it as drivel, it’s just painfully obvious and therefore uninspiring, isn’t it?

I know he doesn’t like giving anything away in his press conferences but it really does make him come across as though he doesn’t care.
lib2007
Has liked: 11 likes

Post by lib2007 »

Brown Sauce wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:04 am When he does go we need to have a serious rethink about how the club approaches managers.
It's a buyers market. We go down the pecking order until somebody says yes. It seems that Bilic was the only one who had reasons other than money or desperation at stake. Everybody else sees it as a pay day with a temporary house in Essex.

The point is, you can't rethink how you approach managers until you have something to manage. And I would personally always want a premium if I were to work for a known 'difficult' boss.

So sorry, but there are no shortcuts - until this board is here, we're ****ed.

Having said that, Pellegrini needs to go.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Nothing will ever change with this manager , same tactics different players bottom 3 in Jan guaranteed , we've needed new full backs for 3 seasons , another non pedestrian dm for 3 seasons , we can all see it every game , if Sanchez can't get a game there is no point him being on the bench either give youth a chance to fail at least ? We have no pace , yet we loaned diangana to wba and he really should be recalled , Liverpool recalled players and they're the best team in the world .

12 days off and once again we look shot post 70 mins, it's a disgrace . SACK him now
denzel

Post by denzel »

chigwells finest wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:19 am 12 days off and once again we look shot post 70 mins, it's a disgrace . SACK him now
You raise some valid points Chigwell but they’re not going to sack him a matter of hours before a match. He’ll be in the dugout for the next two unless we take a battering today. Could get interesting if we lose both of them though.
Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce »

lib2007 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:18 am It's a buyers market. We go down the pecking order until somebody says yes. It seems that Bilic was the only one who had reasons other than money or desperation at stake. Everybody else sees it as a pay day with a temporary house in Essex.

The point is, you can't rethink how you approach managers until you have something to manage. And I would personally always want a premium if I were to work for a known 'difficult' boss.

So sorry, but there are no shortcuts - until this board is here, we're ****ed.

Having said that, Pellegrini needs to go.
I’m saying forget the pecking order. I don’t want us shopping at the expensive end of the market.
Promote Maresca or the U23 manager.
As long as they understand how they are expected to play.
lib2007
Has liked: 11 likes

Post by lib2007 »

Brown Sauce wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:36 am I’m saying forget the pecking order. I don’t want us shopping at the expensive end of the market.
Promote Maresca or the U23 manager.
As long as they understand how they are expected to play.
I would take that, but not sure how our big money players would respond.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

When you listen to him interviewed compared to the majority of others, you get the clear sense of how non-motivating he must be. Listen to the likes of Potter and Wilder and you realise just how inept and out of touch Pellegrini is.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

lib2007 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:49 am I would take that, but not sure how our big money players would respond.
As badly as they currently are?