Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Puff Daddy »

rossmundo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:58 pm Never ever, ever should we have not offered Moyes the Job he was just what we needed. Still baffles me now.

He was a safe pair of hands, but I'm not sure taking the squad off on that jaunt to Miami was the wisest move he could've made and at that time of the season, what with Sullivan looking for any excuse he could conjure up to get shot of him when the season ended. With the team and management conveniently out of the way for a bit, I reckon Sullivan used this break to sound out Pellers and in getting him, this is a classic piece of Sullivan vanity
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

Giving pellegrini the job was a brave decision was it a wise one time will tell but if we fall into the bottom three I think Moyes might be a safer bet to get us out I hope it will not come down to that.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 pm He was a safe pair of hands, but I'm not sure taking the squad off on that jaunt to Miami was the wisest move he could've made and at that time of the season, what with Sullivan looking for any excuse he could conjure up to get shot of him when the season ended. With the team and management conveniently out of the way for a bit, I reckon Sullivan used this break to sound out Pellers and in getting him, this is a classic piece of Sullivan vanity
Swings and roundabouts though - I think it actually worked as a team-building exercise. Put it this way, if staying and making them run up sand dunes while getting relegated is the alternative I think it was a no brained!

Showed minerals too that he stood behind his methods, especially given how he looked hopeless at Sunderland
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

westhamlinnet wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm ..............................

I think Moyes might be a safer bet to get us out I hope it will not come down to that.
I'd like to think Moyes has more dignity and self respect than to work for them again.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:04 pm I hope that's sarcasm
No im deadly serious actually pal... he got us fit and playing well full of energy and desire. Under Pellers we are a soft easy touch lacking fight with a superiorority complex, which he has conned the players into believing that we are some big force. He has a million questions to answer over his buys, his tactics, his line ups his substitutions, the side ways, side ways, stop check, backwards pass **** I have to enjure every time I watch em play.

Not for me thanks.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Ozza wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:38 pm Out of interest what managers out do exactly that?
I feel Eddie Howe, Biesla and that Leipzig manager are. Poch has done reasonably well with a comparatively modest net spend. Rodgers. It's hard to name as football managers get sacked so quickly before they can build. Maybe progressive football itself has a short shelf life and then you find back to basics works best and repeat
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:04 am I feel Eddie Howe, Biesla and that Leipzig manager are. Poch has done reasonably well with a comparatively modest net spend. Rodgers. It's hard to name as football managers get sacked so quickly before they can build. Maybe progressive football itself has a short shelf life and then you find back to basics works best and repeat
Surely by that criteria Moyes is a progressive manager? He built three or four sides at Everton. Sam did that too at Bolton, but has become a bit of a journeyman. Roy Hodgson also does this very well at clubs with all sorts of resource levels.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

In today's world of sky football a 3 year contract is long enough for a manager to build a team and stabalise a club/get his ideas instilled in the players.

Issue is after three years generally teams change manager to freshen up approaches and tactics - even players if you look at most clubs that are successful rarely stay very long at clubs. It is no longer an age where a Noble or a Gerrard is the norm, its Russian Roulette every season. Look at Chelsea, probably one of the most consistently successful clubs over the last 10 years and they change manager every season !!

What you don't see unlike with the cretin that runs our club, is the board undermining the manager in the second season when he still has a year to go ... that to me is just bad business and makes a mockery of calling yourself well run club - we certainly are not, and the main issue with that is you end up with a very good manager at the end of his career like Pelle whilst paying a kings ransom to even get him here. Again not good business when you effectively have to bribe a person to undertake a job that you know has a real shelf life of 12 months.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

rossmundo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:58 pm Never ever, ever should we have not offered Moyes the Job he was just what we needed. Still baffles me now.
The fan base and Sully's ego would never had, had him. Anyway it would have gone the same way, some money then nothing.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Everton looking at Mark Hughes if they sack Silva.

:lol:
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

"I love Lasagne", the point with most of those is that they have been given time, financial backing and run the club pretty much without interference from football manager playing owners, we will never ever have that here under this lot.

I actually believe that Pellers could have been that man, let him do his job, financially back him every window (which Howe gets), and work a five year plan.

One of the problems with Sully is that he is so short term in his thinking, where the f*** is the blueprint for how this club operates, and I mean a blueprint that follows a club like Spuds or Bournemouth where at it's core it's about buying young players from the lower leagues identified as potential (mainly British), but no he just lurches from one fancy to another. He actually operates like most people on here post, one minute he wants pragmatic safe football, the next he wants passing free flowing football, then he'll go back to pragmatic football, when it doesn't work.

Sully's only blueprint is, find a big name manager, pay them a big wedge so they can take the **** and are locked in, don't back them and bin them when their contract is up. I'm sick of it
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ozza wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 am "I love Lasagne", the point with most of those is that they have been given time, financial backing and run the club pretty much without interference from football manager playing owners, we will never ever have that here under this lot.

I actually believe that Pellers could have been that man, let him do his job, financially back him every window (which Howe gets), and work a five year plan.

One of the problems with Sully is that he is so short term in his thinking, where the **** is the blueprint for how this club operates, and I mean a blueprint that follows a club like Spuds or Bournemouth where at it's core it's about buying young players from the lower leagues identified as potential (mainly British), but no he just lurches from one fancy to another. He actually operates like most people on here post, one minute he wants pragmatic safe football, the next he wants passing free flowing football, then he'll go back to pragmatic football, when it doesn't work.

Sully's only blueprint is, find a big name manager, pay them a big wedge so they can take the **** and are locked in, don't back them and bin them when their contract is up. I'm sick of it

……... with gates of 12,500
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

not sure I know what you mean Puff?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ozza wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:09 am not sure I know what you mean Puff?
Howe is backed by his board every window, yet Bournemouth play in front of just 12,500 fans. That's not vert many, yet we play in a huge stadium with 60,000
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

:thup:
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

OK Things are not right at the moment. We're all pretty much agreed on that. But I really can't believe that some people are looking back on the Alladyce/Moyes eras as some kind of golden periods in the history of West Ham United.
BFS fulfilled his mandate, getting us up, by the skin of his teeth. With some awful football, basically throwing the cups and alienating much of the support.
David Moyes fulfilled his mandate. Keeping us up. With some awful football, throwing the cups, and whilst he may not have totally alienated the support he was never ever going to be a fan's favourite.
My own view on Pellegrini now is that he is a good, manager, but maybe wrong club at the wrong time.
I have no idea who should be next for the hot spot.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Attendances mean nothing these days its all about TV ££££££££££
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

BondsoBob wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:31 am OK Things are not right at the moment. We're all pretty much agreed on that. But I really can't believe that some people are looking back on the Alladyce/Moyes eras as some kind of golden periods in the history of West Ham United.
BFS fulfilled his mandate, getting us up, by the skin of his teeth. With some awful football, basically throwing the cups and alienating much of the support.
David Moyes fulfilled his mandate. Keeping us up. With some awful football, throwing the cups, and whilst he may not have totally alienated the support he was never ever going to be a fan's favourite.
My own view on Pellegrini now is that he is a good, manager, but maybe wrong club at the wrong time.
I have no idea who should be next for the hot spot.
There's not exactly an embarrassment of riches right now, that's for sure. Wenger's about the only one, I might consider, but even he I think is now too old and has been out of the game a bit too long and I don't know if he would be the right fit anyway
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

The point is there isn't a right time for any decent manager at this club, I actually can't think of any manager who has performed well under this lot, certainly not for more than a season.

Actually like him or not, Allardyce has probably done the best job under this lot and the football was dire
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Looking back though, the only real progressive, innovative manager we have had at this club was Ron Greenwood, and he had his failings. With the talent he had at his disposal I think we should definitely have done far better in the league in his time, than we did.
John Lyall was a good manager. Ron Greenwoods disciple and apprentice. But his copy book was blotted slightly,by two relegations.
Since then we have really had a succession of mediocre to frankly awful managers. Pretty much the same could be said of the board.