Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by HammerPDC »

Ozza wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:35 pm agree bud, the constant groundhog day feeling with this club is horrific.

The only thing changing the manager does in my view is free up some transfer funds and give some fresh thought processes, that will disappear after a season to the dross and lack of investment we are used to
Your right there fella, it’s another summer of investment followed by more summers of underinvestment. After the Burnley home game a couple of seasons back they stared all that abuse in the face and did the bare minimum they could to relatively speaking get the fans back on side and that was one summer of investment and no more.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

The pattern is, spend money in the first season, pull the rug from under them in the second season.

I just cant figure out why.

Anyone?
HammerPDC

Post by HammerPDC »

essexguy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:35 pm If we were sitting in mid table I wouldn’t be calling him to be sacked. We aren’t talking about mid table, we are talking about getting relegated.

It would be different if we had a run of difficult games but then had some easy games coming up. You could look 8 games ahead and think about picking more points. Our next 8 games are worrying.

It’s also no longer about long term plans. An appointment needs to be made to steady the ship. If we get someone who works out longer term then great!

Anyway this is all theory anyway. The Dave’s will not twist when they would have to pay so much money in compensation to MP.
Whilst I disagree on the threat of relegation for now you’ve hit the nail on the head at the end there. David Sullivan will do a hell of a lot to not part with a pound note
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

Simple mate, 3 year contracts, pay some money first year budget hard second and third so you know exactly what you are paying, know that the bloke in charge will keep you in the league with minimal outlay, whilst the bloke in charge then realises that the kings shilling he took means he gets no cash, the dream he has of doing something amazing here disappears quickly and motivation drops from the top downwards.

Short term, all about keeping the brand in the premier league until the big sale comes in.

They’ve done it for decades

At the end of 3 years, rinse and repeat
Last edited by Ozza on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

It does appear to be a total lack of confidence, you should expect more from that 11 today so what next? possibly only one player gets any credit and that once again was Snodgrass.
I do detest Sullivan and co but He has enough tools to conjure up better displays than the last two games .
The Roberto situation is a bloody joke . Players have turned to **** in a few weeks i do not get it.
Last edited by 61dicksey on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Patito wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:18 pm Mainly because of the sales of Maguire, Mahrez, Kante etc.

Leicester don’t undermine Rogers in the media either.
Agreed, but all top class players who they sold and needed replacing.

In terms of gross spend, Leicester have spent about £70M more than us during the 5 years period.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

S-H wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:35 pm The pattern is, spend money in the first season, pull the rug from under them in the second season.

I just cant figure out why.

Anyone?
So they can blame the manager for the team’s failings in years two and three, which comes due to their lack of / poor investments in the playing squad.
HammerPDC

Post by HammerPDC »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:36 pm I think we really missed a trick not going for Brendan Rodgers. He was who i wanted before we went in for Pellers.

Its a pertinent question you ask; and i'm not sure who we could go in for.
I think had he been at Celtic still it would have been a credible shout for sure, as others have said he does have a short term affect!

It’ll be interesting to see if he doesn’t turn out as another Pardew, Bilic esque good start merchant because he has some serious talent in that Leicester squad
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

HammerPDC wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:30 pm It’s a great shout, I do really like Pellegrini I genuinely do think for everything he has achieved in the game he is a world class manager and whilst I don’t think we should consider moving on from him yet when we eventually do I think a younger manager with a philosophy is where we should be looking!

The natural choice in this country is Howe, what he has done with the resources available at Bournemouth has been unbelievable and to play an attacking brand of football at the same time is very hard to do in the modern premier league!

For now though I think Pellegrini will turn us around and pull us back to mid table he did it at the beginning of last season and for me he’ll do it again
Why would Howe commit career suicide by leaving Bournemouth, where he had total control? Only a top four team that will guarantee backing have a chance.

And he left Bournemouth once, and soon scampered back as his family is settled there
Last edited by Ironing Board on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerPDC

Post by HammerPDC »

Ozza wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:39 pm Simple mate, 3 year contracts, pay some money first year budget hard second and third so you know exactly what you are paying, know that the bloke in charge will keep you in the league with minimal outlay, whilst the bloke in charge then realises that the kings shilling he took means he gets no cash, the dream he has of doing something amazing here disappears quickly and motivation drops from the top downwards.

Short term, all about keeping the brand in the premier league until the big sale comes in.

They’ve done it for decades

At the end of 3 years, rinse and repeat
It’ll be one of the happiest days as a West Ham United fan the day Gold Sullivan and Brady are out of this football club

Everything you’ve said there is spot on and this club will sadly never realise it’s full potential while they are here no matter the manager
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Ozza wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:40 pm In the world of Premiership football the investment we have is small, always has been, and regardless of age all of our previous managers seem to go through exactly the same issues, with exactly the same things levelled at them, "no plan B", "lacklustre performances", "players don't care", "no leadership", "tactical naivety" etc etc.

The only constants in all of that, Sully, **** investment, the training ground
There's my train of thought Ozza. I appreciate he's no spring chicken, but everything he's achieved has been backed with untold millions.

Let's put it into more of a context; would Guardiola be as successful if he became (no laughing at the back) West Ham's 18th manager under the current regime?

I think we all know the answer!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Ozza wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:31 pm What I can’t get over though Burnley is that this exact problem, the motivation, the work rate, the gaps, the passion, the tactical ability, has been levelled against every manager that have worked under this lot.

It doesn’t seem to matter who is in charge it always gets to this, why is that?
It's probably true that the ownership doesn't inspire a lot of motivation in the team. Apart from that... Zola was an inexperienced manager but a nice guy, and was most likely being carried by his assistant manager. Avram Grant was a poor choice and I recall someone saying that he hardly spent any time on the training ground. Sam Allardyce did a pretty decent job imo - could have been better if he wasn't so stubborn with regards to certain players and team selection. Bilic.. that's a tricky one. He inspired in his first season but to some degree, he did strike it lucky with Payet. Regarding the disaster of the window in his second season, as much as I'd like to pin it all on Sullivan, I'm not so sure. Gokhan Tore certainly wasn't Sullivans idea. What we did see though with Sam and with Bilic were strong indications that their contracts were not going to be renewed. If the managers get wind of that well in advance, then of course it affects everything. Even more so if it's common knowledge with the players. Same thing might be happening here with Pellegrini. What I'd like to see is a bit more thought put into the manager recruitment, I'd like to see a 3 year contract given, and I'd like Sulli to work out his financial strategy in advance and split the budget evenly each year. Having your budget halving each year is ridiculous. If it's going to be 120m net over 2 seasons then I'd rather them give the manager 60m each season than chuck it all at them the first window and then f*** all after that.

You're right though... something at the club is demotivating players no matter who the manager is. It's a consistent pattern.
HammerPDC

Post by HammerPDC »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:42 pm Why would Howe commit career suicide by leaving Bournemouth, where he had total control? He not a top four team that will guarantee backing have a chance.

And he left Bournemouth once, and soon scampered back as his family is settled there
I agree IB, but to play devils advocate at some point he’ll want to see how far his philosophy can take him and whilst the club is flawed there can be no doubt that we are a far bigger club than Bournemouth

It was more of an example of who would potentially be intriguing as a replacement for Pellegrini that’s all
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

It’s horrible reading “he’s past it”, “can’t motivate”, “doesn’t care” on here I’ve seen similar stuff on here about every manager we’ve had, I refuse to believe that someone with his record can’t be arsed or is just ****.

Said it before there is one constant at this club that gets us to this point every couple of years.

I’m not saying our managers aren’t excusable in the mistakes they’ve made, but the probability from their careers says they would have been successful here if they had been backed and supported properly.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

chalks wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:11 pm :lol:

Are you serious?
Chalks, not really. Just had a few wines and cannot believe how we have gone from hero to zeros in no time.

If in the future Nobes did take his badges he would know how this club ticks. If say Pellers jacked it in (which he wont) then I wouldn't mind him being caretaker. As for being relegated well that should get rid of the owners and I've always liked the competitiveness of the Championship so it wasn't totally flippant.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

There’s a reason Sully pays way over the top for his managers.

Zola was the only one who was able to lift the lid on the c**** who run this club, and that was only because he was on a contract not set out by our owners.

Some of you lot need to go and read some stuff
Patito

Post by Patito »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:39 pm Agreed, but all top class players who they sold and needed replacing.

In terms of gross spend, Leicester have spent about £70M more than us during the 5 years period.
And they’ve replaced well! Currently 2-0 up against Arsenal.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

He’s not interested, multi millionaire following Jose‘s ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude and hoping to spend Christmas on the beach in Santiago clutching a fat payoff cheque.. get rid and good riddance
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Get in your car Deirdre Barlow and drive away and never come back
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

rossmundo wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:15 pm Get in your car Deirdre Barlow and drive away and never come back
Sorry for being naive and green, but WTF is that all about?