Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Doc H Ball

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Doc H Ball » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:41 am

Dwight mate, I question pretty much everything they do. If the Baroness has a crap, I think HMRC should go through it to ensure there’s no smuggled diamonds.

Of course the system should be transparent. How many bondholdes, how often do they go, are they entitled to 2 tickets each? How many new ASTs issued and on what basis? How many corporate being creamed off and are they under the guise of ASTs? Etc etc...

Truth is they would never answer and if given even a sniff would monetarise it further.

Sorry if I was over defensive, but suggesting scrapping a system that ran for ever without issue and giving those ***** a way to whittle the core down even further makes me twitchy.

Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:49 am

Doc H Ball wrote:Dwight mate, I question pretty much everything they do. If the Baroness has a crap, I think HMRC should go through it to ensure there’s no smuggled diamonds.

Of course the system should be transparent. How many bondholdes, how often do they go, are they entitled to 2 tickets each? How many new ASTs issued and on what basis? How many corporate being creamed off and are they under the guise of ASTs? Etc etc...

Truth is they would never answer and if given even a sniff would monetarise it further.

Sorry if I was over defensive, but suggesting scrapping a system that ran for ever without issue and giving those ***** a way to whittle the core down even further makes me twitchy.
Doc I would like to think we kind of agree on the main point and maybe I haven’t put myself across clearly, my approach is that if we as fans see something isn’t it right, we call out it even if it might be detrimental to ourselves and if we can come up with better fairer ways as fans then we should explore them and then put our views to the club I think that then puts the onus on the club to be more open with how things are operating now, if we choose to keep quiet and say nothing I see little reason for the club to carry on doing any different than they are now, my hope was not to wait until more loyal fans including ASTs are suffering at the boards actions before doing it because it will be too late then but it seems I have totally misjudged some of our fans sense of fairness, now I give up and care less than I did about what happens after my interaction with some of them.
Last edited by Dwight1970 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:59 am

Doc H Ball wrote:If the Baroness has a crap, I think HMRC should go through it to ensure there’s no smuggled diamonds.
:lol:

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Dwight1970 wrote: Doc I would like to think we kind of agree on the main point.
I think we all probably do mate. Another symptom of the lack of proper interaction between fans and the Club. In that vacuum, we bicker over things they are to blame for.

You are not wrong to question the fairness of ASTs and, in particular, additional ones issued without regard to PP.

Before the price capping and peak in demand, there was nothing wrong with the AST scheme apart from sometimes being lumbered with a £50 ticket. There wasn't the demand and I can assure you none of those people bought to sell or accumulate points.

There are some soft moral questions to answer being on the AST scheme. If I can't make a game, for example through being hit by a drunken driver (long story..), then I can't give the ticket back, sell on at face value or even give it to your mate out of sympathy. I buy it and let it go empty or give up the scheme.

Should I be able to give it on to someone deserving, like a student who posts on here in Bournemouth and goes whenever he can? Is it better to let it sit empty? Not earth shattering, but honest questions for me to answer to I guess.

Big difference with anyone choosing to renew their AST not really intending to go often but safe in the knowledge that they can shift the tickets or, worse, ever ever selling at profit. The latter's a hanging offence in my West Ham moral coda and the former a real question for those of us as the years pass.

So, you were right to raise it but, maybe, wrong to suggest scrapping the whole thing and letting the dogs loose.

A constructive and transparent way of allocating away tickets would be:

1. See which bondholders go regularly. Offer them ASTs. Offer the others a legal buyout of that term of their bonds.

2. Fix a number of sustainable ASTs. Allow them 2 or 3 misses a year and the ability to return tickets to the Club.

3. Allocate the remainder on a simple PP system.

4. Always take maximum allocations, run Specials and incentivise attendance at difficult away games.

5. Stop using PP as a marketing tool.

6. The Club to buy corporate tickets/freebies separately or only give them away when spare.

Now all of the above would cost the Club so there is no point suggesting it. I disagree about scrapping the AST scheme not because 'I'm all right Jack' but because I have absolutely no trust in them replacing it with anything fair. It worked for years, so the real question should be 'what is going on now which is different?'

There's some terrible touts around. The worst ones seem to be in the lounges.

rottiel

Post by rottiel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:00 pm

brownout wrote:Double points for home cup games, whilst morally wrong, is of limited relevance as almost everyone who travels to most away games will buy ticket for these games.
The season before last I had enough points for every game.

Last season I didnt do the cup or friendly home games , I also chose not to do about 3 aways. I missed out on Wimbledon, Bournemouth and Watford due to lack of points.

This year I started on 14points and well down the pecking order.

Next year will worse :thdn:

Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:03 pm

Well said Doc

Pentonville

Post by Pentonville » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Just got a ticket for Villa with 12 pts! It will mean missing the last 10 minutes to get the last train back to London. Its worth it if only to marginally improve my chances of getting another away ticket this season, although not optimistic given the less than transparent way ticket distribution has gone this season.

Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Doc fantastic post, thank you for taking the time to reply and I wholeheartedly agree with basically everything you have said and would love the club to take something like this on board.

I hope I am reading it correctly that you accept the AST scheme is not perfect and for honestly questioning and challenging personally some of aspects of how it operates in some situations that others perceive as unfair is refreshing and it would pretty much changed my mood on the subject if I felt other AST felt had the same approach you have shown.

Thanks again for posting what I feel is a more positive approach to this subject, I appreciate it.

rottiel

Post by rottiel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Doc :thup:

CapBuckyOHare

Post by CapBuckyOHare » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Has the ballot for Bournemouth already happened?

rottiel

Post by rottiel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:51 pm

CapBuckyOHare wrote:Has the ballot for Bournemouth already happened?
I may be wrong but I don't think they had one for this.

Sold out to 27points

Marky

Post by Marky » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:00 pm

I am superconvinced a lot of tickets go to Basset and Gold guests.

It’s annoying I want to go to BOURNEMOUTH best bet is to message someone at Basset on Linked In !

brownout

Post by brownout » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am

Villa now selling at 10 points.

Phil S

Post by Phil S » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:08 am

brownout wrote:Villa now selling at 10 points.
So surely if that many people were points hoarding it would have sold out at higher points?

Row X

Post by Row X » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 am

Phil S wrote: So surely if that many people were points hoarding it would have sold out at higher points?
Proves how little that happens.

Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:10 am

It's just that the "London and South Coast" brigade don't really fancy it...

rottiel

Post by rottiel » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Albie Beck wrote:It's just that the "London and South Coast" brigade don't really fancy it...
Yeh, that will be it then..

Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Actually it is quite obvious something questionable now goes on before ticket details are announced because their is such a delay.

Oxford announced ticket details yesterday so West Ham pretty much must have known or allocation over the weekend yet no announcement, it was the same for Newport, Spurs for example have confirmed their arrangements for Colchester yesterday.

Considering the amount of AST holders is a set number, surely it would be easy just to deduct that number from the allocation and announce whatever remains goes to Bondholder, etc immediately unless there is a unknown process of offering them elsewhere before they go on sale?

rottiel

Post by rottiel » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:35 pm

brownout wrote:Villa now selling at 10 points.
Sold out now.

steps

Post by steps » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Albie Beck wrote:It's just that the "London and South Coast" brigade don't really fancy it...
Switching the game to a Monday night killed it for me.

It was one I was looking forward to at the start of the season too.