Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Post Reply
mushy
Posts: 13977
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by mushy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:00 pm

I have seen the price of the Sat morning trains..
Jeez

Northbank Bar
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Northbank Bar » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:51 am

Please find below letter we have just EMailed to West Ham.

Jake Heath,
Supporters Services Manager,
West Ham United FC.,
London Stadium,
London E20 2ST.

September 26th 2019.

Dear Jake,
Many of our members are expressing concern about the distribution of tickets to our away matches. and we write on their behalf accordingly.Hammers United eagerly await your response to the views expressed in this letter as well as the practical suggestion that has been put forward.
Football. Football is a unique entity. If you ask someone why they have chosen their football club or what their football club means to them, typical responses are likely to share key elements. People might describe themselves as fans or supporters, possibly prefacing those descriptions with another term, such as loyal. They might reference family or community and the sense of attachment and belonging that they feel and experience.
If a football club were to be viewed as a business, and those who spend money at that football club viewed as customers, then this would be a true ‘one of kind’ business operating in a true ‘one of a kind’ market. If Football were a business, it would be a unique one. This would be a business that could turn a profit without customers of its own yet a business where it’s own customers will return, unconditionally, to invest their time and money. A lot of time and a lot of money. The business would not need to market itself to attract custom, it would not need to provide a service to keep it’s customers, it would not need a complex pricing strategy to entice customers and would not have to worry about customers leaving to invest time and money with a rival.
So whether you view West Ham United as a business with customers or a football club with fans and supporters, you cannot argue against the fact that it’s position is unique.
So a question arises. Should the football club look after it’s fans? Or, to ask the same question from another viewpoint, should the business value it’s customers? Financially, it might not be a requirement. Morally, it is surely a must.
Football clubs don’t appear to respond to that question with a consistent answer. There are many examples that demonstrate this. The specific example Hammers United would like to focus on at this point is the travelling fan. This fan often commits huge sums of money and vast expanses of their time to following their team away from home. Should they be looked after? Should they be valued?
Some clubs, on the face of it, would appear to answer the question with a resounding ‘yes’. Ticket details might be released at the earliest opportunity, travel might be subsidised or paid for all together, letters of recognition might be received, gifts might even be bestowed on supporters as they come through the turnstiles in the away end. At present, there is a feeling among our members, that West Ham United might answer that question a little differently. Does West Ham United value it’s loyal travelling support and should it look after those fans?
We are not writing asking for any gesture, such as those listed above, that would cost the club money. Nor a measure of value that would require additional thought, creativity or a great deal of time. We are suggesting something that is free, simple and straightforward to implement: Transparency.
The travelling fan keeps a close eye on their chances of acquiring tickets to away games. If they can’t acquire tickets they look into what they might do to put themselves in a position to acquire them in the future. A lack of transparency around how tickets are sold leads to confusion on this front. A fan or supporter who is valued, would be made to feel valued by being informed.
In practical terms, this would be something as simple as publishing which groups of supporters are purchasing the allocated tickets for any given away game. The travelling fan would then feel informed. They would know which group they would have to belong to, to enable them to secure tickets in future. For example, how many tickets were sold to Away Season Ticket Holders, how many to Corporate Season Ticket Holders, how many to Bondholders and how many to each level of Priority Points holder.
We would like to engage with West Ham United on the matter of transparency and looking after fans and supporters. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this specific topic as well as the sentiment expressed here. We believe a positive step in the specific area of away ticketing will act as a welcome symbol of the clubs stance and intent.

Kind regards,

Lee Rogers.
Joint Secretary.Hammers United.

We are doing our best to improve things for West Ham supporters.
Check out our website www.hammersunited.com

Watford 'Ammer
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:59 pm

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Watford 'Ammer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:11 pm

I think the sentiment expressed is spot on.

I will be interesting to see if the club acknowledge that.

Kialos
Posts: 8200
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 pm

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Kialos » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:50 pm

I see from the article below that the OSB have invited select individuals to a meeting to discuss away ticketing.

Both the author of the article and another regular contributor to WHTID have been invited. Both anti away season tickets and want them scrapped.

Does anyone know how many away season ticket holders or high PP holders are on the OSB and who else has been invited to this meeting?


https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... qJVi7FQiOk

User avatar
OrrMakesItThree
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 am

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by OrrMakesItThree » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Some of the responses to that article are simply laughable (first come first served via the existing ticketing website......I don't think so), not sure the dig at WHUISA and Hammers United was really necessary either and I still don't understand why so much 'anger' is directed towards AST holders.....they are the least of our problems when it comes to away ticket availability.....for the record I don't have a AST, I do have 23 PP built over the course of the last four seasons....Goodison Park on a Wednesday night in November anyone??......but not B'mouth on a Saturday afternoon in September Headbanger

User avatar
Dwight1970
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 am
Location: Sidcup, Kent

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Dwight1970 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I have expressed my concerns about ASTs previously but I do wonder if by increasing the numbers and basically open them up to first come has now basically made it easier to justify any decision to get rid off them completely.

If the numbers had been maintained at 500, with a strict rule of anyone caught not personally using tickets knew they would lose their ASTs and only those with a minimum number of PPs would ever be entitled to any ASTs that came available, I still think there would be a very strong argument to keep them but by increasing their numbers and having inconsistent approach in allocating new ASTs has undermined that strongest argument that they are simply a reward for all our most loyal fans.

My point is no way aimed as a criticism of ASTs themselves because there are no way I believe they are cause of this problem and there are real questions that should be asked elsewhere with our away ticket allocation though I do wish some of them would accept that something that was and still should be easily to justify being in place has been allowed to become what looks like a problem now in many fans eyes because of the way it now operates and react by looking at ways of changing that perception rather than criticising anyone that highlights that to them.

My hope is the club keep ASTs at a more limited number and operate them in a way as I say in my second paragraph so they are seen as a privilege that our most loyal supporters have earned to enjoy but I fear they way are being operated now the majority of fans will soon be content to see them scrapped.

mushy
Posts: 13977
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by mushy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Its quite a fair article from Nigel, up until he brings his own personal feelings and grudges as regards WHUISA into the mix.
My biggest question here is how they chose who to ask to the meetings, for instance the first response on that website appears to be from club favourite Sean Whetstone.
Quite frankly these are the last people I want to represent me.
I would also add that the last people they should be attacking are AST's and other supporter groups.

The one thing they should be asking for is transparency, I see no mention of it anywhere.

Kialos
Posts: 8200
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 pm

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Kialos » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Dwight1970 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:36 pm
I have expressed my concerns about ASTs previously but I do wonder if by increasing the numbers and basically open them up to first come has now basically made it easier to justify any decision to get rid off them completely.

If the numbers had been maintained at 500, with a strict rule of anyone caught not personally using tickets knew they would lose their ASTs and only those with a minimum number of PPs would ever be entitled to any ASTs that came available, I still think there would be a very strong argument to keep them but by increasing their numbers and having inconsistent approach in allocating new ASTs has undermined that strongest argument that they are simply a reward for all our most loyal fans.

My point is no way aimed as a criticism of ASTs themselves because there are no way I believe they are cause of this problem and there are real questions that should be asked elsewhere with our away ticket allocation though I do wish some of them would accept that something that was and still should be easily to justify being in place has been allowed to become what looks like a problem now in many fans eyes because of the way it now operates and react by looking at ways of changing that perception rather than criticising anyone that highlights that to them.

My hope is the club keep ASTs at a more limited number and operate them in a way as I say in my second paragraph so they are seen as a privilege that our most loyal supporters have earned to enjoy but I fear they way are being operated now the majority of fans will soon be content to see them scrapped.
You must think people have short memories and forgotten what you have posted and alleged in the past.

Anyway, It looks like you may get your wish so own it.

User avatar
Dwight1970
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 am
Location: Sidcup, Kent

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Dwight1970 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Kialos Please tell me what I have alledged?
As far as I can recall my postings regarding ASTs was how the way the club were allocating them to new applicants as I know fans with high PPs being refused and was seeing posts on here that those with very few being allocated one, unfortunately for some reasons a few AST holders reacted like you have just have now with personal digs at me and therefore I stated I wouldn’t lose any sleep if AST were scrapped if that is the general feeling amongst AST holders, my criticism is of the club but some reason what has followed was was comments like you have posted towards me?

User avatar
West Ham Dave
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: Loughton

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by West Ham Dave » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:39 pm

Dwight
I don’t want to make assumptions on your age, but if your old enough to remember vinyl records your know that sometimes they got scratched, which caused the needle to get stuck in one groove, this resulted in the same bit of the song constantly repeating itself!!
You get the drift ?

User avatar
Dwight1970
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 am
Location: Sidcup, Kent

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Dwight1970 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:53 pm

West Ham Dave wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:39 pm
Dwight
I don’t want to make assumptions on your age, but if your old enough to remember vinyl records your know that sometimes they got scratched, which caused the needle to get stuck in one groove, this resulted in the same bit of the song constantly repeating itself!!
You get the drift ?
West Ham Dave
Fair enough if that is how you and others see it especially as my post today was purely at suggesting a justification to keep ASTs so I will say no more but it would helpful if someone could tell what I have supposedly alleged on the subject of ASTs as I am bemused at that comment?

User avatar
Doc H Ball
Posts: 9719
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:29 pm
Location: in nick

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Doc H Ball » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:44 pm

**** the OSB and Co.

If they are there tomorrow come tell it to our faces.

danm79
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by danm79 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Kialos wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:50 pm
I see from the article below that the OSB have invited select individuals to a meeting to discuss away ticketing.

Both the author of the article and another regular contributor to WHTID have been invited. Both anti away season tickets and want them scrapped.

Does anyone know how many away season ticket holders or high PP holders are on the OSB and who else has been invited to this meeting?


https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... qJVi7FQiOk
Can’t see any AST on the OSB, do they say who the AST holder attending is?

danm79
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by danm79 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Doc H Ball wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:44 pm
**** the OSB and Co.

If they are there tomorrow come tell it to our faces.
Thing is they will be there as they seem to be able to get special select tickets to the games they want.

There should be an AST on the OSB, the one that was has left. I don’t think any others are AST.

Does feel that the AST community might need to get a collective voice together at some point.

danm79
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by danm79 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:24 pm

Just seen the chair of this meeting next week has put a survey out re the meeting, heavily waited to changing away ticketing (50% of questions around it), might be an idea for people to complete.

User avatar
Phil S
Posts: 5175
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: Sarfend

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Phil S » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:52 pm

danm79 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:24 pm
Just seen the chair of this meeting next week has put a survey out re the meeting, heavily waited to changing away ticketing (50% of questions around it), might be an idea for people to complete.
How the hell whetstone is allowed on the osb is beyond me.

All AST holders need to be contacted and have this matter discussed with them, not some bollox weighted poll.

Stinks

User avatar
aaronhammer
Posts: 9285
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: The Kitman

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by aaronhammer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Agree Phil.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172413&sk=a&start=20#p5377854
I posted the above back in January so half expected something to happen prior to this season, but perhaps they needed to prep more for it, which could well be happening with this meeting next week.

The key thing I mentioned in that post is transparency. Let’s know how many are allocated to club staff/players (I’ve been told they have an option of up to 2 per game each), how many are allocated to bond holders, how many to away season ticket holders, how many to corporate, and then how many to each points band?

Also release how many are in each points band when tickets go on sale to help people plan when to buy - particularly if buying with others.

Kialos
Posts: 8200
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 pm

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Kialos » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Removing the AST allocation just makes it easier for the club to siphon even more away tickets to sponsors, sullivans and sycophants.

User avatar
simon1982
Posts: 2241
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:52 pm
Location: Clayhall

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by simon1982 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Some of the comments on that linked article are pathetic! I’m a bit confused as to what people are failing to understand. In your working life you often get rewarded for loyalty. What’s the difference in having the privilege of an away season ticket if you attend every game and have been doing so for a number of years.
The club won’t even run a train for us. Do people honestly think the support liaison officers are going to start electronically adding your priority point at the turnstile ten minutes before kick off with hundreds of fans waiting to get in. I struggle to understand what planet some people live on.

People are making themselves busy to cause a problem. All this West Ham family nonsense. It just screams me me me!!
What happens if you can’t attend a home game? Should it be left empty if the club are unable to resale.
Away tickets were not a closed shop at the beginning of the 16/17 season. Anyone could have built up to have 20+ points at this moment in time.

User avatar
Phil S
Posts: 5175
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: Sarfend

Re: Away tickets 2019 / 2020 season

Post by Phil S » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Kialos wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:39 pm
Removing the AST allocation just makes it easier for the club to siphon even more away tickets to sponsors, sullivans and sycophants.
I just wonder how guys like Kev would feel if suddenly he can't do what he's been doing all these years..Obv he's just one example as most on the Hornchurch coaches would have been going every away since the dinosaurs.
How could the club even contemplate taking that away from people? It's their life!

Post Reply