Lucas Pérez

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

submerged

Re: Lucas Pérez

Post by submerged » Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 pm

I like him. Keep.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Tue May 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Barring his irritating penchant to point to the name on his shirt after every goal, I'm not sure you get much better as a back-up striker. Six goals in 19 appearances is not to be sniffed at.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue May 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Barring his irritating penchant to point to the name on his shirt after every goal, I'm not sure you get much better as a back-up striker. Six goals in 19 appearances is not to be sniffed at.
I wouldn't care if he pointed to the name on the back of his shirt every other week mate to be honest.....

:thup:

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Barring his irritating penchant to point to the name on his shirt after every goal, I'm not sure you get much better as a back-up striker. Six goals in 19 appearances is not to be sniffed at.
Don't see pointing to his name as a problem to be honest, but to have a striker like him that can score the odd goal on little time of on the pitch, hold the ball up, and pick a pass - he's done alright.

Worth keeping in my humble opinion. I'd have him over Hernandez if I had to chose. he has a better all round game, despite being a bit of a mardy bugger.

And he doesn't dye his hair silly colours either.

OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler » Tue May 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Is he a mardy bugger, or does he just seem like a mardy bugger?

Hard to argue with his goals tally v time on pitch, and he is only 4th choice, but he really does rub me up the wrong way because he just looks like he doesn't want to be on the pitch.

Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck » Tue May 21, 2019 11:17 pm

If he's mardy it's because he's 4th choice, and he believes he's better. And his record seems to confirm that, although his attitude actually seems to have been fine.

The shirt-pointing is no big deal for me - it's not as if he ear-cupped... :wink:

Marky

Post by Marky » Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Weird one with him. He doesn’t seem to do much but then he scores!

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:46 am

If money is tight, well it is with the dildo boys, then we may have to keep him as back up. I would sell Hernandez over him. arnie rondon/mitrovic and perez would be ok for the season. we also have Antonio and young silva to come in if necessary.

mushy

Post by mushy » Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Marky wrote:Weird one with him. He doesn’t seem to do much but then he scores!
I disagree, his hold up play and link ups are both pretty good.
He also pulls out wide a lot and runs a hell of a lot more then Chicarito.
He looks like a decent footballer to me.

Row X

Post by Row X » Wed May 22, 2019 3:58 pm

mushy wrote: I disagree, his hold up play and link ups are both pretty good.
He also pulls out wide a lot and runs a hell of a lot more then Chicarito.
He looks like a decent footballer to me.
Just shows how football is all about opinions...

I think he is a terrible player, his movement is non-existant, he runs into nothing posistions and offers other players no pass or space.

I usualy like players that can put the ball in the net but do little else, but I just can't warm to him... his goals all seem lucky as well.

Maybe it's because he thinks he's the mutts nuts, but all he has ever done in his career in England is struggle to tie down a place on the bench let alone a place in the starting XI

sutts07

Post by sutts07 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Not an option up top on his own. So all depends how Pellergrini is going to try and play.

Up front in a two, or coming on from the bench, he has actually impressed.

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Here’s the thing, I’m not sure how many prolific goalscorers will be happy to sign on for us with a view to playing second fiddle. If Rondon signs, he is a different type of striker, that could hugely benefit the traits of Arnie or Chich, and I feel would sign as a starter. He seems to be a 10 goal a year guy, with a good availability record. Signing him to bench warm simply wouldn’t make sense.

Last term Perez scored 6 goals, across 19 games in all competitions. In comparison to the vast majority of strikers we have signed since the Dave’s took over, he has been a success as an alternative, especially as Arnie and Chich have outscored him, and we often didn’t play with both starting at the same time. He can find the net, and play a bit. That’s what you want from somebody who is not a regular starter.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:43 pm

He’s allegedly been dropped from the subs bench at least twice in the season by the manager and been made to train with the u23’s. I think that suggests he isn’t massively happy playing third fiddle. I’d sell.

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm

I would also keep him.

Cause, If you see his performances, hes more than just a striker...

He is sometimes a winger, create ocassions, assist, and hes a good finisher. (He was lacking only on trust)

Also, a player thats far much more complete than, for example, Arnie or Chicharito, price/performance segment too... imho.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

seems he has a bad attitude so I would sell if we can get near 5m for him. I agree usueful as a 3rd striker on the bench but he doesn't seem a happy chap to have in the squad. we have enough with arnie so we don't need another petulant child. he is 30 bad attitude get rid 5m. same as Hernandez get rid 10m
get mitrovic in and add one more striker or promote silva to the first team squad IF he is ready.
Antonio is also useful up top.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Wed May 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Didn't Noble say that Perez is the best finisher at the club?

stu1

Post by stu1 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:40 pm

As others have said his goals per min ratio is very good, we won’t get better for a 3/4th choice striker.

However the deciding factor on whether its time to move him on is probably more dependant on whether Arnoutovic and Hernandez move on. Realistically we aren’t going to replace our whole forward line and we’ve already lost the sick note we can’t lose the other three.

johnnyb

Post by johnnyb » Wed May 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Still can't believe that burst of speed from him against Southampton when he laid on what should have been an Arnie hat-trick. Didn't know he possessed that. He seems to do well when he wants to. A real enigma but I would keep him for next season if he realises and accepts the fact that he won't be first choice very often if at all. As for him scoring 'lucky' goals, I would take that all day long. Unfortunately he does have a miserable boat so he doesn't endear himself to a lot of supporters.

e17

Post by e17 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 pm

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:Also, a player thats far much more complete than, for example, Arnie or Chicharito, price/performance segment too... imho.
Absolute b*llocks.

Both Arnie & Hernandez offer far more to the team.

He’s a decent 3rd choice, but the **** doesn’t like starting every other game he plays and when he hasn’t been interested, it’s been clear from almost the start of games.

He’s a decent substitute option, and the fella knows how to get into good positions to score goals, but both those other two consistently offer more options in terms of link up play for the midfield, breaking on the counter attack, and general graft. That’s why Pelboy has generally started with them.

He’s not a bad back up, he scores a few goals despite the mardy stuff, but I’ve seen him in the flesh enough times this season to categorically say he’s never going to be a starter unless we play 2 up top and the other lad plays the Frankie Mac role.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Thu May 23, 2019 7:23 am

Looks Championship.

Back up or not. He's just not good enough.