Lucas Pérez

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Cockneyboy311

Re: Lucas Pérez

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Smonnie wrote:I can only say that we'd better be bringing in some pretty impressive replacements.

The guy had one of the best minutes per goal ratios, and was fourth choice. No resale value but good PL experience and won us points.

Can't wait to see who the better fourth choice striker is that we're bringing in.

Stupid business.

Arnie, Murray, Crouch and Hugill :D

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:40 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Even I wouldn't pass a medical at West Ham at the moment

:clap:

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Smonnie wrote:I can only say that we'd better be bringing in some pretty impressive replacements.

The guy had one of the best minutes per goal ratios, and was fourth choice. No resale value but good PL experience and won us points.

Can't wait to see who the better fourth choice striker is that we're bringing in.

Stupid business.
Stupid business? We paid £4m, sold for £2.2m + 30% of any resale, but he was rumoured to be on hefty wages. £80k a week equals £4m a year, so the £1,8m loss is soon swallowed up. An up and coming championship striker could probably be signed on half those wages

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:51 pm

The *real* figure is 7 in 19. Nonsense flag against Leicester.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:56 pm

Stupid business.
He didn't want to be 4th choice any more though. That's the point
If he went to the manager and asked to leave in search of first team football then it makes sense to let him go

Smonnie

Post by Smonnie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:57 pm

goa127 wrote: Stupid business? We paid £4m, sold for £2.2m + 30% of any resale, but he was rumoured to be on hefty wages. £80k a week equals £4m a year, so the £1,8m loss is soon swallowed up. An up and coming championship striker could probably be signed on half those wages
I'm going to say it now - if our fourth choice striker next season scores 6 or more goals, I'll donate £25 to the BMF.

It's nonsense. A terrible fee recouped for a player who will cost much more to replace.

I'm not saying he was worth much more to the buying team, but he was worth more to us.

But hey, the press said he disrespected us, and he liked to point at his name, so it makes sense to get rid of him, right?

Patito

Post by Patito » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:58 pm

He was our 3rd choice striker really though wasn't he? How often was Carroll available or picked ahead of him?

Smonnie

Post by Smonnie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Patito wrote:He was our 3rd choice striker really though wasn't he? How often was Carroll available or picked ahead of him?
I'd forgotten about Carroll - I was referring to Antonio.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Smonnie wrote: I'm going to say it now - if our fourth choice striker next season scores 6 or more goals, I'll donate £25 to the BMF.

It's nonsense. A terrible fee recouped for a player who will cost much more to replace.

I'm not saying he was worth much more to the buying team, but he was worth more to us.

But hey, the press said he disrespected us, and he liked to point at his name, so it makes sense to get rid of him, right?
But as mentioned above, what do you do if he made it clear he wanted to leave to play first team football?

Patito

Post by Patito » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Smonnie wrote: I'd forgotten about Carroll - I was referring to Antonio.
That's a bit of a reach tbh. Antonio mostly played out wide.

Smonnie

Post by Smonnie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Patito wrote: That's a bit of a reach tbh. Antonio mostly played out wide.
Not really a reach.

I think it's fair to say that when fit, Carroll or Antonio was being started ahead of him up front.

At the end of the day I think it's obvious that Pel didn't fancy him. But I'm still allowed to think it's dreadful business, and a mistake.

Patito

Post by Patito » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Smonnie wrote:
Not really a reach.

I think it's fair to say that when fit, Carroll or Antonio was being started ahead of him up front.

The stats don't back up what you're saying at all. Antonio started as a striker 4 times, Perez was only available for 2 of those.

Carroll started up front 3 times. Only once was Perez available (against Brighton). Whereas there are numerous examples of Perez being picked above Carroll (Palace at home, Burnley away etc.).
Smonnie wrote: But I'm still allowed to think it's dreadful business, and a mistake.
Of course, don't think anyone is saying otherwise, just discussing differing opinions on a forum.

libero

Post by libero » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:31 pm

It didn't work out for Lucas Perez at WH and he's gone
He played some matches for us, scored some goals but didn't get a run of games
and so we don't really know what he's like as a player - probably not really all that good.

But I disagree with Smonnie when he says "it was dreadful business and a mistake"
I think it was OK business and more of a punt than a mistake.

Football recruitment teams can't always get it right, it's the nature of the game.
Some good signings, some not so good.

In the current climate, and taking into account the transfer fee we
paid, the wages we paid, transfer fee we got for him, then the amount of money involved
does add up to a mistake or dreadful business in my opinion

Pellegrini's team has tried a few "punts" over this last year - Fredericks, Balbuena, Diop, Nasri
Yarmo, Wilshere. Some have worked out, others haven't - but I still think it's worth trying
if we're not talking ridiculous amounts of money

Smonnie

Post by Smonnie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:14 pm

libero wrote:I
But I disagree with Smonnie when he says "it was dreadful business and a mistake"
I think it was OK business and more of a punt than a mistake.
I'm saying it was dreadful business and a mistake to let him go.

Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:18 pm

I'm filing this under the folder "players you will forget we had in 4 years".

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Carlton'sGoal wrote:I'm filing this under the folder "players you will forget we had in 4 years".
I almost already had :)

libero

Post by libero » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Smonnie wrote:
I'm saying it was dreadful business and a mistake to let him go.
A mistake to let him go?
You could be right there, but rumour has it that there was an attitude problem with Lucas Perez
and if so, it's wise to get him out of the club ASAP even if that involves taking a loss

pezza20

Post by pezza20 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 pm

When Alaves came in he was asked and he said he wanted to leave, club were happy getting his wages off the wage bill and are getting back all of which was left to pay, so he cost 3.5m for his season and scored 6 goals, not a bad return in my book and certainly not a bad deal for the club.

Pelle doesn't want players who are either disruptive or do not want to play for the shirt, hence Lucas's exit.

Good luck to the lad, I don't think he fitted Pelle's system but was a very good finished, one of the best at the club if reports are true.

The Green Man

Post by The Green Man » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm sure he'll do well there but the fact that Alavas were the only team interested is a big sign that something isn't completely right there, that and the fact Arsenal let him go very easily for not much money.

Something more than meets the eye on this one.

Ribbot

Post by Ribbot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 pm

The Green Man wrote:Something more than meets the eye on this one.
Definitely. Theres no way we are going to replace him for 2.2mil. Pel wanted him out of the camp at any cost it seems, and although we will never know for sure I suspect that Perez had too much spare time on his hands and probably used it to spread dissent in the squad.