Lucas Pérez

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

bonzosbeard

Re: Lucas Pérez

Post by bonzosbeard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

All this talk about him being worth millions and Barcelona wanting him sadly doesn't surprise me.

We are an awful club who never try to be anything other than also rans. Players know it and the attitude pervades the place. Stinks the place out.

We need a real root and branch change.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:09 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm
All this talk about him being worth millions and Barcelona wanting him sadly doesn't surprise me.

We are an awful club who never try to be anything other than also rans. Players know it and the attitude pervades the place. Stinks the place out.

….… and that cascades all the way down from the top. Since they have no ambition, other than to just stay in the Premier League, then cannot expect anybody else to, either

Pob!

Post by Pob! » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:19 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

So true..

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:20 pm

Perez is entirely a product of La Liga and hasn't done well outside of it. They're not really buying "our" Lucas Perez but the one that thrives whenever he's in Spain.

That doesn't mean I won't be delighted to see headlines in the wider press taking the piss out of Sullivan for this. Release the hounds.

steps

Post by steps » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:31 pm

He scored 6 goals for us in all comps and cost about £4m.

In today’s market, that’s not bad value.

They’ve let far too many handy utility players go over years which often come back to bite them in the arse. Our season would definitely be looking different right now if we didn’t let Adrian, Hernandez, Obiang and Perez go.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Think you're being overly generous to Obiang there. I'm comfortable in suggesting we'd be in the exact same funk had he still been here being beige in midfield.

steps

Post by steps » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Aceface wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm
Think you're being overly generous to Obiang there. I'm comfortable in suggesting we'd be in the exact same funk had he still been here being beige in midfield.
He was a bit clumsy at times, but good respite for Noble. They used to rotate them for/in games and it worked well for us. When one a bad game the other player alright, and vice versa. This season Noble has been asked to play every game with only Sanchez as cover, who’s not worthy of a reserves game.

And then there’s always this:

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm

steps wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:31 pm
He scored 6 goals for us in all comps and cost about £4m.

In today’s market, that’s not bad value.

They’ve let far too many handy utility players go over years which often come back to bite them in the arse. Our season would definitely be looking different right now if we didn’t let Adrian, Hernandez, Obiang and Perez go.
He was 4th choice striker. He didn't want to be 4th choice striker
How were we supposed to make him stay?

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Aceface wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm
We would be higher up the table if we had Obiang, especially if utilised properly
Unfortunately Pelle didn't rate him much so he wanted to leave for first team football as well

Sir_Trevor

Post by Sir_Trevor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Well, he would be 2nd (or possibly even 1st) choice by now if he had stayed, so we could have started by pointing that out to him.

Graza

Post by Graza » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm
In fairness had he stayed he'd have been 1st choice as everyone else was leaving, then 2nd once Haller came in. He'd have seen a lot more pitch time than he had in years and much more than Ajeti who if we had also purchased would have been 3rd choice and only really broken out for the cups.

Personally of that little lot mentioned Adrian is the most obvious miss, our season died when Roberto had his spell in goal (coinciding as it did with other key injuries true but Adrian would have given us a bit more belief at the back). He also wouldn't have then been playing for Liverpool and maybe they'd have lost a game or two breaking their mystic...

I don't think we were ever going to play the way needed to get the best of Hernandez.

Obiang and to be honest Fernandez are huge misses for me. Neither brilliant but both capable, mostly fit and could have subbed in for any of the 3 central midfield positions to give us legs and solidity towards the end of games..in Obiangs first season early doors he came on for the last 20 of games we were winning to put his foot on the ball, play simple passes and recycle possession. How many times could we have used that this season.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:25 pm

Graza wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:13 pm
In fairness had he stayed he'd have been 1st choice as everyone else was leaving, then 2nd once Haller came in. He'd have seen a lot more pitch time than he had in years and much more than Ajeti who if we had also purchased would have been 3rd choice and only really broken out for the cups.

Maybe, maybe not. Pelligrini didn't seem to rate him much so
When a Spanish La Liga team came in for him with promises of first team football back in homeland, there wasn;t much of a decision to be made in his mind. i doubt he would have hung around on the vague chance he might move up the pecking order

Obiang could definitely have helped us but, again, he had spent the last two seasons as a bit part player. A mid-table Serie A side came in for him and guaranteed first team football was a big incentive. tbf he has played pretty much every game for them, so the right decision from his point of view

We always seem to struggle to keep our squad players happy

Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:32 pm

I think the issue with Perez ws partly that he wanted to leave but more that he apparently absolutely stunk the dressing room out and was resoundly disliked by one and all.

I liked Obiang and really wanted him to come good but I think his history is being slightly rewritten here...Can't remember ever thinking "he's had a really good game" he was a steady-eddy (with an occiasional ricket) through and through.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Sloop John B wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:32 pm
I liked Obiang and really wanted him to come good but I think his history is being slightly rewritten here...Can't remember ever thinking "he's had a really good game" he was a steady-eddy (with an occiasional ricket) through and through.
He seemed from afar to be the most sensible, well-rounded human being who's played for the club in eons. Would have loved for him to be a great player for us. And he did admittedly have that spell in Bilic's second season where he was good for a few months before getting injured. But outside of that period, as you say, he was invariably ineffective.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 pm

really liked obiang, but his cards were marked when nobes was off on compassionate leave in the run up to everton at home so obiang operated in a two with rice and they got absolute rings run around them.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:34 pm

Beavis Danzig wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 pm
really liked obiang, but his cards were marked when nobes was off on compassionate leave in the run up to everton at home so obiang operated in a two with rice and they got absolute rings run around them.
Yah, i really liked him as well. Trouble was he was considered a defensive midfielder for us and i don't think he was suited to that in the Premier League [maybe in Italy where the game is slower and less physical]

Whenever he had the opportunity to play further forward i thought he was class, evidenced by Goodison last season and also Southampton at home end of last season. When he was on song he had a terrific range of passes both long and short and very good at incisive through balls

his ideal position for me would be in a midfield two with a DM behind them

Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:34 pm
When he was on song he had a terrific range of passes both long and short and very good at incisive through balls
I very much enjoyed his cross field banana balls that would curve almost back to the 18yard box and land at the wingers feet