Carlos Sanchez

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Re: Carlos Sanchez

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 am

Well, albeit I personally wanted Medel or Mvila instead him, I have to say, he looks really sharp last night...

Whats remind me the feeling I had seeing some clips of him as he was playing 2018 in La Liga for Espanyol and in Serie A... the likes I wanted to show you to discuss on him...

1) 28/02/2018 vs Real Madrid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Rqg8N2y-Q

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z-Rqg8N2y-Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

2) 28/08/2016 playing for Fiorentina vs Chievo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B54zAKG2Tt4

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B54zAKG2Tt4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

In both videos you can see whats hes able to do defensively, and that the performance from yesterday is not an exception.. some passes, distribution, anticipation, blocks, etc.. maybe far far from world class, but not that bad too as many folks were all the time thinking, imho..

8-)

Hockley Hammer

Post by Hockley Hammer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:58 am

I spent last night arguing with my mates about his performance.

They think he is crap and his passing woeful, but seemed to accept the same kind of passing from our so-called better players.

I think he gives us a bit of shape and we should use that to our advantage.

He seems another player who was used to having more space and time on the ball where he has played before. You don't get that in he PL, and you learn the hard way if you dawdle on the ball.

Yes it was a lower league side, but several players who I expected to do better performed poorer than Sanchez.

Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:05 am

I thought he was the same technically dreadful player with a slow turning circle as he has always shown. Had his customary suicide pass and loss of the ball outside a box which we were lucky to not concede from. Also misjudged the ball completely a few times and either missed it or got done for pace.

But on a positive side, he was responsible for the shape we had and was very aware of what he was supposed to be doing.

I hope he doesn’t play for us in the Prem, except for if he comes on as a late sub to try and close a win out.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:13 am

Thought he was the original Mr Cool last night

Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:19 am

Thought he did well...albeit against a "weak" opposition...

Noticed in the second half... he was on the end of a few awkward passes and ended up losing possesion, this then seemed to cause a loss of concentration and he went on to make a few unforced errors (one led to a shot on goal iirc).

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:20 am

While I didn't watch the whole game, there are a couple of loose passes from him in the Sky highlights package alone - actually, in the build up to both goals. The first, he plays a pass 2/3 yards behind Wilshere who has to come back and collect, and for the second he plays a ball 2/3 yards ahead of Snodgrass who can't stretch to reach it.

His positioning is excellent, though, and as others have said he holds his spot and the team shape very well. Just seems to not have the technical passing side of game quite in sync.

Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:27 am

Thing is, playing in centre mid, you really have to be in the rhythm to play well. If you're out of practise you get caught on the ball and are a bit slow reacting to stuff around you, unless your just going to run around like a madman flying into tackles, it takes a few games. Sadly you don't really get those few games in the middle, that's why top centre midfielders are so lauded.

He'll do a job no doubt, and he'll make mistakes during some games. But we still need a better player in there to push on.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:03 pm

He was one of our better performers last night, but he had the easiest job on the pitch. Playing defensive midfield against a team that barely attacked through the middle at all, and in the second half barely attacked full stop.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Aceface wrote:He was one of our better performers last night, but he had the easiest job on the pitch. Playing defensive midfield against a team that barely attacked through the middle at all, and in the second half barely attacked full stop.
That is true, but the one benefit Sanchez offers that no-one else we have does is that he knows exactly where to be ob the pitch to play that role
Whether we need someone to play that role is a different topic altogether, but it is undeniable he provides us with shape

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Aztec Hammer wrote:I thought he was the same technically dreadful player with a slow turning circle as he has always shown. Had his customary suicide pass and loss of the ball outside a box which we were lucky to not concede from. Also misjudged the ball completely a few times and either missed it or got done for pace.

But on a positive side, he was responsible for the shape we had and was very aware of what he was supposed to be doing.

I hope he doesn’t play for us in the Prem, except for if he comes on as a late sub to try and close a win out.
Spot on.

OnePaulHilton

Post by OnePaulHilton » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:51 pm

I thought, on the well known, expectation/performance ratio index, he came out top last night.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:54 pm

That was Wilshere for me.

OnePaulHilton

Post by OnePaulHilton » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Wow, you must have low expectations of Wilshere.

Colours never run

Post by Colours never run » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Sorry I must have misunderstood what you're getting at. I just meant Wilshere was the best performer on the night by some distance.

poplargeezer

Post by poplargeezer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Thought he had a decent game at Newport standing tall and resilient at the heart of midfield.
Think he deserves particular credit for rescuing young Coventry from what could have been a career-defining or ending mistake that could have led to a goal.

A useful squad member for playing the DM role

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:40 pm

YorksHammer wrote:His positioning is excellent, though, and as others have said he holds his spot and the team shape very well. Just seems to not have the technical passing side of game quite in sync.
Rice could do well to learn this side of the game from him as positioning is everything at DM, especially if we are only playing the 1. He was tidy and effective last night, he's another that's had a long time out of the game. British football is so intense, even at this level, it doesn't let players work their way back easily after long lay offs.

ereford ammer

Post by ereford ammer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 pm

poplargeezer wrote:Thought he had a decent game at Newport standing tall and resilient at the heart of midfield.
Think he deserves particular credit for rescuing young Coventry from what could have been a career-defining or ending mistake that could have led to a goal.

A useful squad member for playing the DM role
:thup:

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 pm

OnePaulHilton wrote:I thought, on the well known, expectation/performance ratio index, he came out top last night.

#metoo

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Bob was alright in goal.

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Post by dodger » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:52 pm

I thought he did OK, but I still don’t want to see him play for us in the PL.

He looks strong but is actually very weak, evidenced by his getting muscled out of it twice last night to players of smaller stature. He is also too slow.

He did the simple things well last night, and I’m fine with him playing for us against League One or League Two opposition, but that’s it.