Women's team

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Row X

Re: Women's team

Post by Row X » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am

The Women's game will never generate interest\money until they do something with the goalkeepers.

The outfield players are technically sound with some great touches and passing moves, just a little slower than the men.

However, in goalkeeping they are years behind.

Any high shot on target has a chance of going in... the amount of high, loopy, no power shots that beat keepers is a joke, it's like watching an U-12's keeper.

Maybe they should make the goals a tiny bit smaller, 7ft high instead of 8ft... that would improve the whole game for me. However, I feel they wouldn't do that because there will be uproar from the PC Brigade, saying Women are equal to Men, etc. Why can't some people just accept that the 2 genders are different with different limitations.

No amount of coaching will get the women keepers to reach high shots.

Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:40 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:This can't help women's football much at all...

I understand the new team logic, but if their opponents have this to look forward to, it might be a long season..

Couldn't the coach have made them play keep away, or score from the halfway line or 28 consecutive passes, half of which had to be forward or something...

Shirley no need for this:

Benfica women claim 28-0 victory on debut in Portuguese second division

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45547857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be like Man Utd this season already won 12-0 in the league

not sure why they didnt apply for WSL given the money they thrown at it.

Collison Theory

Post by Collison Theory » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Row X wrote:The Women's game will never generate interest\money until they do something with the goalkeepers.

The outfield players are technically sound with some great touches and passing moves, just a little slower than the men.

However, in goalkeeping they are years behind.

Any high shot on target has a chance of going in... the amount of high, loopy, no power shots that beat keepers is a joke, it's like watching an U-12's keeper.

Maybe they should make the goals a tiny bit smaller, 7ft high instead of 8ft... that would improve the whole game for me. However, I feel they wouldn't do that because there will be uproar from the PC Brigade, saying Women are equal to Men, etc. Why can't some people just accept that the 2 genders are different with different limitations.

No amount of coaching will get the women keepers to reach high shots.
I dunno, that would be a lot of hassle for clubs in switching between men and women's goalposts.

I do agree that the goalkeeping tends to be the weakest aspect. I also find this when watching really old clips of men's football, maybe there's more of an art to goalkeeping than we think?

I'm really not sure that's necessary. It's not that rare to get women around the 6 foot mark, if you watch women's tennis, for example, loads of the top players are in that area, Sharapova is 6 foot 2 and not regarded as freakishly tall. David Ospina is six nothing and has played in the Champions League.

Maybe it's a case of a lot of girls growing up playing with boys, and not playing in goal when they're younger because they're smaller?

I am Lawro

Post by I am Lawro » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm

I think it boils to goalkeeper being the least glamorous position. Any girl with a decent amount of talent when they're younger is going to be playing as a striker/midfielder as the talent pool is shallower. It's difficult to transition an outfield player into becoming a goalkeeper and I suspect a number of women's keepers are those who love football but weren't quite good enough to make it as an outfield player.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:31 pm

It is amusing to see all the clubs plowing money into the women’s game despite a lack of interest and the remarkably poor standard. What is driving this?

Also the BBC like to just use team names in stories so you accidentally click on women’s football (which will be used to say more people are reading about women’s football too).

Ironically the pioneers of the women’s game have also been shoved aside in favor of having teams bearing the names of men’s clubs. Very strange indeed.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Row X wrote:The Women's game will never generate interest\money until they do something with the goalkeepers.
I'm glad it is not just me who has noticed this

Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Ironing Board wrote:Also the BBC like to just use team names in stories so you accidentally click on women’s football.

:lol:

Collison Theory

Post by Collison Theory » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Ironing Board wrote:It is amusing to see all the clubs plowing money into the women’s game despite a lack of interest and the remarkably poor standard. What is driving this?

Also the BBC like to just use team names in stories so you accidentally click on women’s football (which will be used to say more people are reading about women’s football too).

Ironically the pioneers of the women’s game have also been shoved aside in favor of having teams bearing the names of men’s clubs. Very strange indeed.
Well it’s a bit chicken and egg, if no one invests, what is going to drive improvement and interest?

Also, “plowing money” is relative. What percentage on our men’s team budget have clubs like us invested? Spare change really.

Really the FA are the ones with a responsibility to promote the women’s game, considering those idiots banned women’s football when it was very popular, and didn’t reinstate it until the bloody 70s.

All the people complaining about the standard should keep an eye out, because it is improving a lot, if you haven’t watched in a while, you might be surprised.

I think the best way to enjoy women’s sorts is to try not to compare them to men all the time. A lot of people claim men’s football is too reliant on physicality, so might enjoy watching women.

JCA

Post by JCA » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Spot on RowX. Outfield technically decent, goalkeeping is a big issue.

Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Collison Theory wrote: I'm really not sure that's necessary. It's not that rare to get women around the 6 foot mark, if you watch women's tennis, for example, loads of the top players are in that area, Sharapova is 6 foot 2 and not regarded as freakishly tall.

As you said it is chicken and egg. Any 6'+ woman with decent goalkeeping talent is probably also athletic enough to also be half decent at volleyball, basketball or tennis. Sports where she would make considerably more money and not have to work another side job to play the sport she likes. Hope Solo was one of the best-paid keepers at one point and that was at 100,000 dollars a year. Contrast that with top tennis money and you see why there's a limited amount of tall keepers.

Talent will follow the money, if it's there.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:33 pm

It’s a scandal that the Doncaster Belles, one of the most successful women’s teams, has been pretty much squeezed out in this “exciting” new era.

The women’s league will probably go the way of the women’s NBA - lots of platitudes and praise but hardly any spectators!

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:39 pm

^^^^^^^^

you'd be surprised how many lesbians attend WNBA games !!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

HalfTimePie

Post by HalfTimePie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Didn't the USA women's team lose to an U15 boys team after winning the world cup?

HeadHammerShark

Post by HeadHammerShark » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Imagine going on to a thread celebrating a TV series to tell everyone you think that TV series is rubbish.

If you can't understand the barriers that women and girls face to get into football in this country then you're not trying hard enough.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:^^^^^^^^

you'd be surprised how many lesbians attend WNBA games !!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Who’d have thunk they’d be so interested in ball-handling!

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:04 pm

HHS

I think people have reservations......the women's game has been going on here for ages and still struggles to get audiences in certain markets...some do very well, some don't.

WNBA struggled and continues to do so..

Houston Comets had a great team, won championships 1997/98/99/2000

they went belly up in 2008.

Houston Dash is the women's team..they have ticket give aways, promotion nights, etc. they average less than 4K and that's down so far from last year........Poprtland are the biggest movers their crowds are "down" but most would settle for half of their attendance.....

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018-nwsl-attendance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The issue for the NWSL in the future will be spurring growth in existing franchises. Adding Utah Royals this season was a huge bump, but for future growth teams like Seattle and Houston — once big draws — need to improve.

If that's what people want to watch they will, fair play....up to each individual to choose where they spend their money...............

Whatever our club spend is a pittance and I hope they succeed. just because people express their reservations doesn't mean we hope they fail......

just being realistic.....

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Outside of tennis, I struggle to think of any particularly successful women’s sports that are on some sort of level pegging with the men’s. At the moment women’s tennis is in the doldrums, but it has had its fair share of big names in the past. The WPGA is reasonably successful, but nowhere near as popular as the regular. Some women’s track and field athletes can be popular, as can gymnasts, but on the whole it is almost like the difference between amateur and pro level.

Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:35 pm

HalfTimePie wrote:Didn't the USA women's team lose to an U15 boys team after winning the world cup?
In a meaningless tune-up for the game that mattered, where they won 4-0.
We lost to the Seattle Sounders something like 3 to nil. But I'd reckon if the game mattered for both squads, the result would be different.

Collison Theory

Post by Collison Theory » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
Whatever our club spend is a pittance and I hope they succeed. just because people express their reservations doesn't mean we hope they fail......

just being realistic.....
There's nothing wrong with expressing reservations, what you wrote was actually thoughtful, unlike things like "sorry but id close the curtains if they were playing in my garden, zero interest in the women's game". Like the BBC just put something on Facebook about women's football and the comments were dominated by people just saying "women's football is **** no one cares". I mean I don't like Star Wars but I don't feel the need to mention it every time Star Wars is mentioned, and it comes up a lot more than women's football.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:39 pm

HalfTimePie wrote:Didn't the USA women's team lose to an U15 boys team after winning the world cup?

All the boys goals being shots high into the net, one imagines