Women's team

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

HalfTimePie

Re: Women's team

Post by HalfTimePie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Whilst I do understand what you are saying Johnny that competitive games are different than pre season warm up type matches......why is it that we only hear about the women's teams losing to boys teams? Genuine question, are there many cases where they actually win?

If they want to be taken more seriously and make a statement then wouldn't they want to win these matches? Honestly I just feel that they can't beat them.

HalfTimePie

Post by HalfTimePie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Think Puff nailed it.

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:53 pm

In Womens cricket the ball is smaller - 4 3/4 oz I believe as opposed to 5 1/2 oz and the boundaries are brought in.

Having much smaller boundaries can look a bit ridiculous but it's a way of generating more 6s. The standard is improving but it's very hard to get adult women to play cricket at amateur clubs.

I definitely think the goals should be smaller for women. It would be too much hassle to make the pitches smaller though. I think the ball should be smaller too. That would speed up the passing and shooting.

It's marketed as 'elite' sport but that's a tough sell.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:57 pm

It was the Australian women’s national team - they lost 7-0 to an under 15s boys club!

:lol:

BARKING IRON

Post by BARKING IRON » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Maybe I’m simplifying it but you would think young girls growing up playing netball the transition to goalkeeper wouldn’t be such an issue look at someone like Randolph he made the transition from basketball to playing in the PL, you tend to get it in woman’s basketball where they tend to aim straight for the hoop because of their netball background where males tend to aim for the back board.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Maybe one way of levelling things up for women, could be they use 5 a side sized goals

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Over half the population are female, why can't women play football? Why can't we have adult sensible discussions on the matter. Some posts on this thread definitely have an undertone to them which in 2018 are quite uncomfortable to read.

It's never going to be the same game or played to the same level as men so not sure why some are trying to compare the two. If the skill level is similar between the two women's teams playing then the game can be enjoyable to watch. It's a great way for parents to take their kids to watch a West Ham team cheaply. It gets kids out the house and away from the TV/Laptop/Mobile. It gets adults out the house / those who might be sick to the back teeth of WHUFC / are priced out of going to PL games.

IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:19 am

Kialos wrote:Over half the population are female, why can't women play football? Why can't we have adult sensible discussions on the matter. Some posts on this thread definitely have an undertone to them which in 2018 are quite uncomfortable to read.

It's never going to be the same game or played to the same level as men so not sure why some are trying to compare the two. If the skill level is similar between the two women's teams playing then the game can be enjoyable to watch. It's a great way for parents to take their kids to watch a West Ham team cheaply. It gets kids out the house and away from the TV/Laptop/Mobile. It gets adults out the house / those who might be sick to the back teeth of WHUFC / are priced out of going to PL games.
Bit like Tennis, it will be played at 70% of the men's game, still interesting to those who watch it but not a comparable standard .... (except when it comes to pay) .... and just like tennis the women's game will be played on 'outside courts' with only the very top matches getting any coverage ...

That's not sexist it's reality ... women are way better at a lot of things than men, but football will never be one of those things .....

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:33 am

The reason women aren’t as good at football is the money.

The money going into grassroots football for boys and then coaching and training throughout the men’s game dwarfs that of women’s.

We have 18 year olds earning thousands whilst England internationals work second jobs. They can’t dedicate their life to training like that.

If from the very beginning women’s football was equally funded as men’s we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Yes the standard isn’t amazing, but there’s lots of little female West Ham fans growing up who would love a hero to look up to.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 am

all comes down to television money mate...

if a sport cannot generate it's own money, it gets funded....see American college "other" sports, in general funded by the big revenue generators...football, basketball/baseball...other sports don't generate so they funded in part if not all, but the other sports...

so until big crowds attend and there is a lot of interest, then it won't get shown on the telly and won't bring in income and fund itself there is probably a limit to how much, the bigger the club the bigger they get supplement the loss in the balance sheet.....

ergo, in general the bigger men's clubs supplement their women's programme, ergo it is more successful..

not saying there shouldn't be but it's the way it is...there would be a HUGE outcry in the taxpayer funded it and as there are more boys playing, they will get the bulk of the money.

they won't (the F.A.) share equally any monies between boys and girls when there are more boy participants. there should be proportionate monies that's for sure though.

kentishiron

Post by kentishiron » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:15 am

Surely the main reason why the standard of women football is lower is because they aren't physically as gifted as men? This isn't just in football either, in most sports the standard of women competition is lower than mens. Thats not sexist either before any white knights come at me!

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:42 am

kentishiron wrote:Surely the main reason why the standard of women football is lower is because they aren't physically as gifted as men? This isn't just in football either, in most sports the standard of women competition is lower than mens. Thats not sexist either before any white knights come at me!
The standard is lower for sure, and some physical adjustments have been made in some sports. But even the technical ability in women’s football is so much lower, and that comes down to funding and coaching.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:14 am

thejackhammer wrote:The reason women aren’t as good at football is the money.

The money going into grassroots football for boys and then coaching and training throughout the men’s game dwarfs that of women’s.

We have 18 year olds earning thousands whilst England internationals work second jobs. They can’t dedicate their life to training like that.

If from the very beginning women’s football was equally funded as men’s we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Yes the standard isn’t amazing, but there’s lots of little female West Ham fans growing up who would love a hero to look up to.
Complete waffle! Men are just better at sport. It may be hard to accept, but it is a fact. Even the best female footballers, with all the training in the world, would not even make it a League 2 level.

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:11 am

So how come the best player amongst my kid's mates (they're all 12, and mostly train with Shrewsbury or KHFC youth teams) is female?...interestingly, the lads don't even give it a second thought.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:49 am

The two games are different. women cannot match the speed or physicality of the mens game. fact.

not better just different. I prefer the mens game

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:32 am

hammerman11 wrote:The two games are different. women cannot match the speed or physicality of the mens game. fact.

not better just different. I prefer the mens game
You’re right here, there are biological differences that cannot be overcome. But the difference in skill and technique comes down to years and years of the men’s game being well funded. I stand by if Women’s football has been fully funded like men’s football from be beginning the technical standard would be much a par. It would probably be a slower more technical game however.

Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 am

Ironing Board wrote:Men are just better at sport. It may be hard to accept, but it is a fact.
:lol:

This thread is classic. What have you based this on?

HalfTimePie

Post by HalfTimePie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:23 am

Ironing Board wrote:
Complete waffle! Men are just better at sport. It may be hard to accept, but it is a fact. Even the best female footballers, with all the training in the world, would not even make it a League 2 level.
Apparently they wouldn't even make it at U15s boys level

sutts07

Post by sutts07 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:29 am

Ironing Board wrote:Men are just better at sport. It may be hard to accept, but it is a fact.
Carlton'sGoal wrote: This thread is classic. What have you based this on?
To be fair to IB.... how many overall world records in sport are held by women?

Take the 100m sprint for example... if Flo-Jo went up against Bolt, both at their peak, she would finish close to a full second behind him. The best female boxer wouldn't stand a chance against the best male.

I am by no means belittling women here, just pointing out facts as they have been requested. I guess equal opportunities were just not around in Mother Nature's day.

sutts07

Post by sutts07 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:49 am

Tenbury wrote:So how come the best player amongst my kid's mates (they're all 12, and mostly train with Shrewsbury or KHFC youth teams) is female?...interestingly, the lads don't even give it a second thought.
Simply because they are not fully developed. Why are some two year olds better at walking than others?
I very much doubt she will still be the best in the group in ten years time. Good luck to her if she is.

I doubt anyone (other than the real pedantic's) would argue the fact that kids are better at sport than adults and an adult male is typically stronger, quicker and bigger than an adult female, in the same way that an adult is stronger, quicker and bigger than a child (all be it on a much greater scale).

That physical advantage naturally lends itself to the vast majority of sports (if not all). It is not about equal equality or political correctness, it is simple genetics.