Transfer news and rumours

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

funky chicken

Re: Transfer news and rumours

Post by funky chicken » Mon May 06, 2019 12:45 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actuali ... ts/1015962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Papa Gueye
I wonder if this is the young French midfielder Pezza mentioned recently.

I see that Jonas Lossl is out of contract. Another potential name to add to our list of freebie Keepers that'll replace Adrian.

I expect the keeper to be one of these either as a freebie, loan, or small fee: Roberto Jimenez, Willy Caballero, Jonas Lossl, Sergio Rico, Claudio Bravo, Daniel Bentley.
Last edited by funky chicken on Mon May 06, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Mon May 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Why would any of them want to be backup at bleeding West Ham, City, Chelsea etc fair enough but not us

Chelsea have a transfer ban and just lost Buka to PSG so may keep Caballero
Lossl why wouldn't he want first team football somewhere
Ditto Rico
Ditto Bentley

bubbles1966
Location: Mama don't like it, way I comb my hair, Papa thinks I'm crazy, clothes I wear....

Post by bubbles1966 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:03 pm

How much do you reckon a starting 'keeper at Brentford gets?
How much do you think we've been paying Adrian to be our cup 'keeper?

Hammerguy

Post by Hammerguy » Mon May 06, 2019 1:56 pm

fmgod wrote:Why would any of them want to be backup at bleeding West Ham, City, Chelsea etc fair enough but not us

Chelsea have a transfer ban and just lost Buka to PSG so may keep Caballero
Lossl why wouldn't he want first team football somewhere
Ditto Rico
Ditto Bentley
Because Fabianski is 34, he will probably on be our #1 for another 2 years. A younger goalkeeper, under 28, will think give me 2 years of cup games and training and ill prove why i should play for a top ten club. Plus they will earn more being our #2 than a championship teams #1. it will increase their exposure meaning after they leave the will increase their income and its also good on their resume, to say the played in front of 66000 and for West Ham

It will not be for every goalkeeper, but everyone has different ambitions, some will see being our number 2 as an opportunity to get better opportunities either internally or externally

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Mon May 06, 2019 2:18 pm

When Fab goes we'll go out and get another already ready-made number one

I don't think anyone will really see being our number 2 that big of pull, we'll end up with a Ross Turnbull type any keeper under the age of 28 who is worth their salt will not come here to sit on the bench, we aren't one of the top teams where they stand a chance of winning something and playing for a worldwide club.

Adrian has played five games this year, that will be appealing to no one bar keepers near the end who are happy to be on the bench, pick up a wage, live in London.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Mon May 06, 2019 2:33 pm

I think Welbeck is done at the top level. He's 28 and missed so much football last 3 years, probably worse record than AC. At least Wilshere was still only 25, has genuine class to realise and playing off the back of 2 relatively injury-free seasons.

Even for us can't see us having any slight interest in Welbeck.

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio » Mon May 06, 2019 2:41 pm

steveyrockstar wrote:I think Welbeck is done at the top level. He's 28 and missed so much football last 3 years, probably worse record than AC. At least Wilshere was still only 25, has genuine class to realise and playing off the back of 2 relatively injury-free seasons.

Even for us can't see us having any slight interest in Welbeck.

Cue the June 1st unveiling of West Ham’s Danny Welbeck.

It’s what we do

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Mon May 06, 2019 4:18 pm

I dunno. Bit like being made to smoke a whole carton of fags until you lose the taste for it, feels a little like the gag point might finally have been reached after the experiences with Wilshere and Nasri this year.

carnage

Post by carnage » Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Cahill and Welbeck are 2 that would reek of Sullivan.

Hammerguy

Post by Hammerguy » Mon May 06, 2019 4:47 pm

fmgod wrote:When Fab goes we'll go out and get another already ready-made number one

I don't think anyone will really see being our number 2 that big of pull, we'll end up with a Ross Turnbull type any keeper under the age of 28 who is worth their salt will not come here to sit on the bench, we aren't one of the top teams where they stand a chance of winning something and playing for a worldwide club.

Adrian has played five games this year, that will be appealing to no one bar keepers near the end who are happy to be on the bench, pick up a wage, live in London.
I understand, but if you are playing in the championship e.g. Will use Declan Rudd Preston Goalkeeper (Chosen randomly) as the example, he is their number one, rumoured to be on 12k a week. We could offer him 40k a week, we offer him 5 games a year. Its his one last to become the Goalkeeper he dreamed of being. Get coached by a better coach who has coached Real Madrid and Liverpool. If he takes his opportunity he is on a pathway of premier league football and potential for an england cap. If he fails another championship team will buy him e.g. Use Randolph as an example. It win-win. Your assumption is that you believe Fabianski can't be moved, i would sell it as if you impress you become number 1. I agree we will not get someone of Fabianski's level, no team regardless of size can keep 2 goalkeepers of the same ability happy for a long period of time, but we can get either a potential keeper or an high quality championship/low prem goalkeeper to be backup

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Mon May 06, 2019 4:58 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actuali ... ts/1015962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Papa Gueye
Thanks for that, Bubbles.

But, its anyway PapE Gueye, 20 years old MF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pape_Gueye

Geoff Peters-Moore

Post by Geoff Peters-Moore » Mon May 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Just throwing a name out there to replace Adrian.... Betinneli from Fulham. Honestly don't know much about him but he is the right age, won't mind being 2nd fiddle and was very highly thought of this time last year. Honestly don't know if he is good enough though. For midfield I would put Milivojevic right at the top of my list. Been banging on about him for a couple of years now.

Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck » Mon May 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Geoff Peters-Moore wrote:Just throwing a name out there to replace Adrian.... Betinneli from Fulham.
Good call. He's about 25 I think, and got an England call-up so is probably good enough and could get better.

BostonHammer

Post by BostonHammer » Mon May 06, 2019 5:52 pm

I imagine we will be making at least two decent Bosman signings this window as the budget is low but the wages will be cleared. My money is on Brahimi to replace Nasri/Obiang. Not sure who the second one will be but there are plenty of "names" out there.

DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock » Mon May 06, 2019 6:14 pm

I shall miss Adrian.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Mon May 06, 2019 7:46 pm

We should all miss Adrian’s personality but to be fair he is only an average Premier keeper. Would happily keep him as a number 2 mind you.

Last summer many were saying Fabianski was not an upgrade - hopefully after this season they may appreciate just how much of an upgrade he was. He just gives everyone so much more confidence that he will control his box and not have the rush of blood Adrian was prone to.

We will need a back up however I suspect etc that they will not want to devote a significant amount of a limited budget to someone they hope never plays, suggests Bosman or cheaper purchase from abroad.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:54 pm

I think keepers have a different attitude regarding regular games to outfield players. They're well aware there's only 18 first choice keepers in the premier league, but if they could double their wages they might be happy to sit on the bench. Many young keepers have joined clubs as back-up to find themselves the regular No.1

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Tue May 07, 2019 4:23 am

Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Daniel Bentley, Joe Lumley, Christian Walton, and Jordan Archer are all decent shouts for backup keeper, All home grown, all on a fraction of Adrian’s wages, all 26 or younger and all with 2 years or less on their contracts and all decent keepers. Peacock-Farrell would be my first choice, but that depends on Leeds not being promoted. Walton is a good young keeper but Brighton have 3 other keepers under contract for at least as long as he is. Archer is short for a keeper, ex Spurs and Millwall, but he is decent and out of contract.

hxhammer

Post by hxhammer » Tue May 07, 2019 7:46 am

Shelevy's old man is telling everybody at our golf club, that he's coming to West Ham. Lets hope its more of his standard bull****

S-H

Post by S-H » Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 am

hxhammer wrote:Shelevy's old man is telling everybody at our golf club, that he's coming to West Ham. Lets hope its more of his standard bull****
I hope that isn't true!