Our relationship with Manchester City fans....

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

martin allen fan club

Our relationship with Manchester City fans....

Post by martin allen fan club » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:47 pm

Ok i search twitter a fair bit and noticed over the past few yrs they very fond affection of us as fans and a club . Im very good friends with a girl in her 30s whos a ST holder at city . We have an ongoing joke everytime we see a tweet showing our love for eachother as fans . Very comically cringe worthy infact haha . Its so bad that the red half up there call it the 'lovin derby' haha ....Anyway i asked my mate 'why do you like us as never understand fans praise of us' her reply was 'always been good fans always have been' made a sense of pride knowing a huge club like them praise us fans . She commented we are very similar but they hit the jackpot . Always wants us to win and told me she loves us even more now we have Zaba and Pelli ect .
Always remember many WH over the yrs going on about there fans as top lads but not sure why . Was it because our hatred of United aswel ?

So if your up there tomz in a bar im sure they will give you a pat on the back and chew your ear off about our 'lovin derby' haha

(Go on twitter and search ManCity West Ham fans youl see what i mean)

martin allen fan club

Re: Our relationship with Manchester City fans....

Post by martin allen fan club » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:27 pm

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read the link

Big George

Post by Big George » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm

I lived in the North West in the late 80s and my flat mate was a City fan so went quite often. I think the fans back then we’re a Northern version of us. Passionate but phlegmatic. Loyal, not just to the club but to the idea of entertaining football. They were also very funny in defeat. I felt very comfortable.

OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 pm

For decades it was always us, them, Newcastle, Sunderland and maybe Leicester fighting it out to avoid relegation, yo-yoing between divisions.

Like us, they were constantly having to deal with supporting an underperforming team in the shadow of bigger, successful rivals. Like us, they would have to take **** virtually every Monday going into school or work, and would have had to develop the same thick skin, bloody-mindedness, loyalty and gallows humour.

I wonder how much of that attitude has survived their transformation over recent years?

Thekorean

Post by Thekorean » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 am

One of the rare fan base that do not hate us.

NT Hammer

Post by NT Hammer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:30 am

Nothing against Man City

But not my experience of my only visit to Maine Road around about 1993/4

Having various stuff & what looked like a large bag of sick thrown at our coach leaving & being about 17 at the time walking back to the coach minding my own business & being confronted & verbally abused right in my face by City fans aged about 40-45 . Very hardmen I thought especially as it was 0-0 lol

These things happen but in general City fans I’ve known down the years to be fair a decent bunch but never known of any love in

sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:01 am

This harks back to the season they got relegated on the last day at the Boleyn ground

And the pitch invasion after, our tradition back then was to swarm on the pitch and the hammer of the year awards and player presentations were done at the steps in the directors box

Mcfc fans big in number were kept in the corner pin during this and singing wonderwall and blue moon and anti Chelsea songs, not anti mufc songs, as our players departed our lot on the pitch went towards the city fans,

We sung bubbles and they stood and respected it, and clapped us, they they sung blue moon and we did the same and clapped them, we then sang with them one man went to war , went to war with Chelsea etc

The old bill decided this was a safe time to leave us to it, and we all ended up shaking hands and some city lads , two with me went for a pint, since that day I’ve had a soft spot for them and know city lads on England trips who hark back to that day, it was a special event by two sets of very similar and passionate sets of supporters, a day I’m proud to have been part of and one I know city lads who were there feel the same

The fact their biggest rival never really got on with us didn’t come into it, but I guess it helps as they really don’t

And their core base of fans is still the 35000 and sometimes more who used to go in the 3rd tier of English football, their club may have changed but they still get it

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:04 am

I remember leaving Maine Road after a win and asking GMP how to get back to Piccadilly (theyd forced us onto coaches to get to the ground but told we had to make our own way back).

Thankfully a few city fans overheard and told us that the old bill had sent us in the wrong direction and pointed us the right way.

I think they have had to put up with loads of ***** over the years and have struck gold. But despite their money, the fans have remained true. I'd take them over any scouse, North / West Londoner or red manc.

Chimera

Post by Chimera » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:31 am

Due to where I lived (Medway) I ended up going to the Man City v Gillingham play off final (Dad scored a couple of tickets the day before and I'd never been to Wembley, cheers West Ham)....

We ended up walking into the wrong part of the area, got caught with the Man City fans. Fearing the worst, we both went a little bit head down and leave as quickly as possible but we clearly stood out. One guy stopped us, and in a thick Manc accent pointed out where we should go, wished us luck and that he hoped it was a decent game. I shook his hand, thanked him and said the same. I won't forget that guy and now and that's why I don't mind City. When they lifted the first title of this era, I thought about how he must feel. Watching his club win a play off final v Gillingham to the league title, must have been a hell of a ride.

Antwerp_Lad

Post by Antwerp_Lad » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 am

I think there is far too much imagined with this.

Sure, there might be some mutual respect between us and them (although not for me, I don't care about City) but stuff like 'West Ham fans would want City to win the league' seems like utter b*llocks.

sutts07

Post by sutts07 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:41 am

Antwerp_Lad wrote: stuff like 'West Ham fans would want City to win the league' seems like utter b*llocks.
I think if you ran a poll asking who we all want to win the league out of the three realistic options now... Man City, Liverpool or Spurs... it would be fairly resounding in Man City's favour.

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:45 am

We have had a lot of players cross over and vice versa too so I think both clubs enjoy a good relationship too. I bet we get Walker when he is 36 or similar.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... layed-both" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by iLoveLasagne on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:46 am

Yep, landslide. In hindsight I'm glad they didn't, but at the time I was hoping for City to pip Leicester the year they won it too.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:06 am

I'd vote twice in favour of City winning the league over those two.

Fancy a draw tonight though!

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:09 am

sutts07 wrote:
I think if you ran a poll asking who we all want to win the league out of the three realistic options now... Man City, Liverpool or Spurs... it would be fairly resounding in Man City's favour.
I think it would be a landslide whichever club's fans you asked! [except Man U of course]

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
I think it would be a landslide whichever club's fans you asked! [except Man U of course]
It would still be a landslide for Man City, Man Utd fans regard Liverpool as their biggest rivals.

DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:12 am

Antwerp_Lad wrote:stuff like 'West Ham fans would want City to win the league' seems like utter b*llocks.
sutts07 wrote:I think if you ran a poll asking who we all want to win the league out of the three realistic options now... Man City, Liverpool or Spurs... it would be fairly resounding in Man City's favour.
That's absolutely the case for the majority, surely?

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:13 am

S-H wrote:
It would still be a landslide for Man City, Man Utd fans regard Liverpool as their biggest rivals.
Surely it would be a landslide for Spurs?

arlhe

Post by arlhe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:15 am

Every ManU fan I know (some are actually from Greater Manchester) wants Citeh rather than Liverpool to win the league.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Surely it would be a landslide for Spurs?
They're just putting the pressure on, I'd say losing to Burnley put them out of it.