Hammers United launch campaign to force dialogue with the Club

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Northbank Bar

Re: Hammers United Inc. New Season, same goals.

Post by Northbank Bar » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:09 pm

westhamshares wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:15 pm
Tomos I think that if MV checks with Kieran maguire he will confirm that all bar Liverpool in the pl have interest free loans from the directors/shareholders

I think the interest figure stated is taken from the accounts of each club and include borrowings from banks etc - on this basis the interest figure quoted for West Ham is correct but only £1.9m was on shareholder loans

This proves the point that unless the people reading the financial figures understand them there is miscommunication

You’re rightly of the view that other clubs are being charged interest on shareholder/director loans and bar Liverpool that I’m pretty sure is NOT the case

MV before you publish such table please make sure some1 who understand figures has reviewed
Good Morning Gents.I apologise for not clearing this matter up sooner but I have been out of the country on holiday.I wrote this article for Hammers United.Kieran Maguire advised from start to finish and endorsed before it was sent out.Marlow often acts as Press Officer for H.U. and as such posted on my behalf.I stand by all the article 'shareholder loans'.Where posters have not understood is that Liverpool do not just have shareholder loans and much,if not all of their interest will be on external loans.Manchester United pay 18 million interest.-all of this is on external loans.West Ham's interest is all paid to the owners.-The other 10 million loan is by Tripp and is interest free.
Marlow is right to point out that we are all volunteers at H.U. but I assure you that does not compromise our professionalism.This article was checked and checked again before it went out.
Thanks again for taking the time to raise your points.

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:16 am

We are pleased to announce we have now reached 5000 members.Next step is 6000 by Christmas.

Onwards Hammers United.We have to hold the club accountable for the broken promises.We have to press for dialogue on the issues important to West Ham supporters.We have to press the club to make available the necessary transfer funds.-And we are progressing well.

The larger our numbers the more influence we have.The first aim was to get to 5000 as soon as possible.This has been achieved so now we move on .You ,our members have joined up and made a commitment.-Please keep spreading the word.If your friends and colleagues are not on facebook point out that they can join by Email, by Emailing us on membership@hammersunited.com.We have around 5002 members at the time of writing.If each one of you joined just one person up today we would have 10000 overnight! Our Committee is totally committed and we will achieve our aims.

But we need your help.

Onwards and Upwards. Hammers United.

We are doing our best to improve things for West Ham supporters.Please check our website out.www.hammersunited.com

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:23 am

Hammers United EGM Meeting Minutes

Venue: King Edward Public House Saturday 31st August 2019

I. Call to order

Paul Colborne, Chairman,called to order the Extra-ordinary General Meeting of Hammers United at 1110hrs at The King Edward Public House, Broadway, Stratford London

II. Roll Call

Joint Secretary Stephen Cross conducted a roll call and the following were present:- Lee rogers (Joint Secretary), Paul Colborne (Chairman) in the chair. Committee Members, Gary Marling, Sanjai Patel, Andy Payne, Gavin Redknap, Mark Telling.

There were a further fifty-seven Hammers United Members in attendance.

The Chairman read out apologies received from committee members Andrew Byrne and Gary Penfold and a large number of member apologies received due to travel disruption.

III. Approval of minutes from last meeting

Paul Colborne read the minutes from the last meeting. The minutes were approved as read.

IV. Open issues

a) Stewarding Initiative – Initiative launched on-line and leaflets being distributed to West Ham Fans to raise awareness. HU have written to the club regarding lack of action taken with Man City Fans in the home end. A sub-committee will be formed to drive this forward.

b) Season Ticket Waiting List – A letter has been sent to the club. A number of members again raised their frustration at this situation. We have a number of examples that we have asked the club to discuss with us and hope their swift co-operation will avoid having to escalate to regulatory bodies and news organisations.

c) Supporter Liaison – A series of letters are being reviewed by our legal advisor and will shortly be sent to both governing and government bodies.

d) Membership – We continue to grow as an organization with our membership standing at four thousand six hundred and ninety two (4,692) as at today’s date. Our goal is to achieve ten thousand (10,000) members by January 1st 2020.

e) Socios – Further to our initial letter to the club (to which we still await a reply) an on-line campaign has been created by a number of supporter’s groups, forums and social media outlets. We will be following up with a further letter to the club and update our members accordingly.

f) GDPR Compliance – We will shortly be undertaking a campaign with all of our members encouraging them to opt-in so we may directly forward them information regarding events and information pertinent to them.

V. New business

a) Ratification of Hammers United Constitution – Unanimously approved and ratified unanimously by all in attendance.

b) New Committee Members – The following were formally proposed, seconded and approved by the members present:- Andrew Byrne, Sanjai Patel, Gary Penfold, Gavin Rednap, Gary Marling and Andy Payne.

c) The Chairman highlighted that we still have two positions vacant on the committee and sought nominations from the floor. Michael Campbell was subsequently nominated, formally seconded and elected unanimously.

d) Stadium Seating – A project is to be led by a HU sub-committee to understand the current state on progress made and investigating alternatives in line with member requests.

e) Committee & Sub-Committee Project Alignment – Sub-Committees to be created to lead on Hammers United initiatives by 7th September.

f) Press & Media –

i) Social Media (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram) presence needs dedicated attention to raise HU profile in line with membership goals. Sub-committee and officers to be appointed.

ii) News/Press Coverage – A number of initiatives involving local newspapers, on-line journalists and the BBC were discussed in line with current initiatives. These will be coordinated and managed moving forward by a sub-committee group.

VI. Any Other Business

a) OSB – Frustration at their positioning by the club continues – suggestions for HU members to join individually for insight discussed and dismissed. A number of HU Members and some committee members sat on the previous incarnation (SAB), and its felt by our membership and committee that it wouldn’t be a productive use of time.

b) WHUSIA – Further to initially encouraging conversations with the reincarnated supporters group WHUISA over joint initiatives, and their disappointing public withdrawal of support for Hammers United’s Stewarding Initiative (created in conjunction with the FSA for the benefit of all West Ham supporters), we will not be working collaboratively together at this time.

c) Away Season Tickets – This was raised by several members as an area of immense frustration, with particular emphasis on the recent away cup match at Newport County, where the current system saw the allocation appear only half taken. Accordingly, it will become an initiative and we will create a sub-committee to drive this forward.

VII. Adjournment

Paul Colborne, Chairman, adjourned the meeting at 1215hrs thanking all for their attendance and wishing them a good game and a safe journey home.

Minutes submitted by: Stephen Cross
Minutes approved by: Lee Rogers & Paul Colborne

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:51 am

Hammers United, Our Journey so far.
“You have to know the past to understand the present”
(Carl Sagan)
Firstly I don’t wish to dwell on the past. However we must understand how we have arrived here. So how far do we go with our trip down Memory Lane? Our Working Class roots & heritage in shipbuilding? The general strike? Football through the war? There is so much History. Then there’s the heady days of the 60’s 70’s and 80’s which saw a prolonged period of relative success (I raise a glass to all here who were there in those days) which led to the tag of “The Academy of Football” and saw WH become many peoples “other” team. During this period when travel became widely available at football our fans reputation often preceded us wherever we travelled. The cheeky cockney wit, never say die attitude and loyalty to the Claret & Blue that was envied far and wide.
So we arrive then, via a period of limited success, through the Icelandic Takeover & the associated debt, to the arrival of our current owners. West Ham fans apparently , they would not have risked the takeover for any other club. They would stabilise the debt, and work towards the jewel in their crown, the newly built Olympic Stadium. The lure of increased revenue and attendance was used to promise “A World Class Stadium for a World Class Team.’
It was here that I, Like many, lost the plot. We were taken in by the promises. I just wish we could turn the clock back and do things differently but sadly we didn’t. We took our 30 pieces of silver and “endorsed” in some small way the move to Stratford. Cue broken promises, missed targets and the rest. We should have stuck together. We’ve done it before. Be it 50 at a grim Northern ground in the 70’s making ourselves heard and supporting the team. Or the glorious days of the Bond Scheme Protests. We’re West Ham. It’s what we do. Only this time we didn’t
So the game was lost. And we now see what I feel is the gentrification of football. This is a world where fans are replaced by consumers and customers. More Opera than Upton Park. And I don’t really like what I see.
That brings us to November 2017 and an upsurge in Fans who were willing to stand up and seek answers. With the threat of a large scale march in March 2018 on the cards the Club twitched. Bad Publicity is a genuine fear for these people, damage to brand reputation. And it was on the way to their door, carried by many thousands of Fans who’d quite simply had enough.
A coalition was built, meetings were held and concessions made. Sadly this was where the bubble burst. Normal people up against a multi-million pound machine. Out manoeuvred by the Club the coalition broke down. Two smaller marches went ahead but for many, momentum was lost. And the anger turned to apathy. Many have walked away, others may soon join them. A sad state of affairs. Then came Burnley and for me the hope that the spark was still there. To see the corner flag raised in protest, as we had so many years before was an iconic moment. Someone who cared enough, not about himself, as his actions earned him a lifetime ban (which he accepts), but for all fans. He could stand no more. The rest, as they say, is History. And at that point we will leave the past behind.

“We can’t completely understand and build a better future without knowledge of the past. The past informs the future”
(F. Scott Fitzgerald)
In February this year I was contacted and being fairly outspoken on SM asked for my thoughts on starting a new Supporters group. I met shortly after with some other like-minded people and all agreed that we owed it to everyone to try once more. To succeed we would need to gather large numbers and importantly attempt to heal our divided fan base. With this in mind, Hammers United launched in March 2019. We currently have c5050 members.- Not bad as we have only been in existence for less than 6 months.We want to have dialogue with the club and help bring improvements to the match-day experience for all supporters. At the same time we must encourage the club to invest in the playing squad.
We have now established a committee, ratified by our members at an open meeting in Plaistow. We have a constitution , a website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram presence and members also have the ability to register via email.We are full associates of the Football Supporters Association..
Most of us are new to this but make no mistake. We are learning fast. We have written to the club requesting a meeting. This was, as expected, refused. They suggested we apply for a seat on the OSB which was declined by our members 9-1. And here’s the thing. Yes.. our members declined. Because they run Hammers United. We are on hand to do the day to day stuff but our Members dictate the strategy.
The club refuse to meet us and as such are in breach of Premier League,Uefa and Government guidelines, so we have sent formal complaints to all three.We have launched an initiative to assist our fans should they experience inappropriate stewarding.We have written to the club asking them to look into the many anomalies of their season ticket waiting list.We have written raising concerns at away fans in West Ham sections. -One by one we are addressing the issues important to West Ham supporters.These things take time but we are doing our best.
So what happens next? And where is the End Game going to take place? Honestly that’s a question none of us can answer. But I’ll say this. When we launched we all agreed this wasn’t going to be easy. Quite the opposite; I’m still stunned at the amount of work that’s involved so I tip my hat to all who do this on WH sites or groups and salute you.
One thing is clear. This will be a long campaign. I fully believe we will need to demonstrate “Fan Power” in whatever form it takes. But equally I firmly believe it’s worth fighting for. There are currently two options. Put up and shut up, or walk away. I understand why people have chosen to take each option but for me both choices are unpalatable. At Hammers United we want to offer you option 3. Make a stand, Together. I will keep trying till the game is up, and beyond, if you will all stand with me.
We have some good people on and around our committee. We have the backing of many loyal supporters.We had both a show of support and also a fair grilling about our intentions during the open meeting we held. More will come this season. We’re not going away. And we will be visible if you want to come and see us on and around match days.
But, and it’s a massive but, our commitment will only carry us so far. We need the most important ingredient in all this to succeed. YOU…. THE WEST HAM FANS… without you we are just a group of people who want to change things. We can steer the ship but it’s YOU that will make it happen. All of you. When 10-20-30k people say no, the board will have to listen. But we have to make a stand. TOGETHER.
So who’s up for it? If you’re not a member join. Tell everyone. Friends, family & work colleagues. When you see Hammers in the pub or on the train to games, talk to them. We have 5050 members. If everyone signed up one person by the end of October we’d have 10,100,. Do the same again in November 20,200. You can make this happen.
It’s time to take back what’s ours,
Our tradition and heritage is being eroded. We are being gentrified.-And what about the ‘world class team for a world class stadium’?
Make a Stand, Say “No More”
We can do it, as Hammers… United…
Who’s with us?
Find out more and join us at
www.hammersunited.com
Thanks.-The Hammers United Committee.

Marlow Vaderman

Post by Marlow Vaderman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am

Well said NBB
This just shows that despite the feelings of fans in social media (which we all know is monitored by the club) around the importance if a cup run to supporters it seems that one extra place in the premier league at 2M a pop will always be more important to the cash grabbing ownership.
The club should man up and reimburse at least the ticket prices for those hardy souls who were lucky? Enough to have got a ticket for the “match” if not the travel expenses.
It’s also another reminder for those that need it that all is not rosy in the WH garden, and that groups like HU remain vital to the future of our fan base.
Only by standing together and making ourselves heard can we force change.
MV ⚒⚒

Watford 'Ammer

Post by Watford 'Ammer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Great work. 100% behind Hammers United. Keep it up.

Marlow Vaderman

Post by Marlow Vaderman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:33 am

Safe journey to all travelling to Bournemouth today.
And for the rest of us.. let’s hope for a performance and at least a draw.. though three points would be so much nicer..
The team owes us one after Wednesday.
Safe journey all
From all at HU..

COYI
MV ⚒⚒

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Northbank Bar wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:16 am
We are pleased to announce...
Well done gents :thup:
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:52 pm

Marlow Vaderman wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am
Well said NBB
This just shows that despite the feelings of fans in social media (which we all know is monitored by the club) around the importance if a cup run to supporters it seems that one extra place in the premier league at 2M a pop will always be more important to the cash grabbing ownership.
The club should man up and reimburse at least the ticket prices for those hardy souls who were lucky? Enough to have got a ticket for the “match” if not the travel expenses.
It’s also another reminder for those that need it that all is not rosy in the WH garden, and that groups like HU remain vital to the future of our fan base.
Only by standing together and making ourselves heard can we force change.
MV ⚒⚒
No chance would front up and refund money, the fans are an annoyance to this current board

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:48 am

Please find West Ham's latest response re away fans in home sections.We have had numerous reports of Man U. fans in West Ham sections so will be replying accordingly.

Dear Lee,

Thank you for your response.

The Club and Stadium Safety team are wholly satisfied with our safety and security processes and we will take appropriate action should any visiting supporter be found to be in the home sectionsof the Stadium.

A bespoke safety strategy is created in advance of every home match and visiting supporters in home sections is one of those elements that we consider when making preparations for the game. Thisalso includes a pre-match meeting of all stadium partners and stakeholders, including members of the Safety Advisory Group (SAG). Members of the SAG are present on matchday and are fully aware of our processes in handling such situations. All incidents aremonitored and handled in a carefully considered and proportionate manner and in accordance with Ground Regulations. Our policy is clear, that any visiting supporters found to be present in home sections will be ejected from the stadium. Last Sunday at ourhome match v Manchester United, we experienced some cases of visiting supporters being present in the home section and all were ejected from the stadium in line with our policy.

The Club also takes a number of proactive steps to mitigate the risk of visiting supporters gaining access to tickets in the home section. This includes monitoring ticket sales patterns for any suspectedvisiting supporters, liaising with the visiting club directly, cancelling ticket purchases, and blocking the accounts to prevent future bookings. We also monitor illegal ticketing agency websites and work with our counterparts at other clubs and the PremierLeague to report any incidents of misuse to the authorities.

Having discussed this subject with my counterparts across the Premier League, I can assure you that this situation is not unique to West Ham United. The modern day global appeal of the Premier Leaguedraws crowds from all corners of the world, many of whom will have varying cultures and different environments within their local stadia. The vast majority of supporters that we eject from London Stadium are international supporters, who purchase tickets viaunofficial channels and may not be fully aware of the environments of football stadia in the UK. Our Ticketing team monitor and cancel any tickets purchased via unofficial sources and will take action against any person or agency found to be selling our ticketsillegally.

Stewards are briefed to remain vigilant at all times and to prevent entry to any supporters who clearly display visiting supporters colours, however, there are occasions were supporters conceal theircolours prior to entry. In any case, the safety and security will take appropriate action in dealing the situation as soon as it is made known to them, either by a steward or through a supporter using the many reporting mechanisms we put in place on matchdayto assist in resolving such issues.

Should any supporter witness a visiting supporter in the home section I would strongly advise that they report this immediately in any of the following ways:

•Speaking to the nearest steward or steward supervisor

•Speaking to the nearest Supporter Liaison Officer

•Sending a text message to the dedicated SMS Reporting Service on 07860 404 069

All text messages sent to our SMS Reporting Service are received directly to our Control Room and it enables us to monitor the situation as it is happening and to take the necessary action.
Please be assured that the safety and security of all supporters is of paramount importance to the Club and London Stadium.

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Letter EMailed to West Ham today re away fans in West Ham parts of the ground.

Jake Heath,

Supporters Services Manager,

West Ham United FC.,

London Stadium.

London E20 2ST.

October 4th 2019.

Dear Jake,

Away Fans in West Ham sections of the ground.

We thank you for your Email dated September 26th and note your comments ‘The Club are wholly satisfied with their safety & securityprocess and will take appropriate action should any visiting supporter be found in the home sections of the Stadium.’Unfortunately Jake we had numerous reports from our members of Manchester United supporters in home sections at the match on September 22nd..Itis clear to all-except perhaps the club,that their safety and security process is inadequate.

We would once again Jake suggest the following:-

A review to be undertaken of the current processes to conclude if they remain fit for purpose given their current failings.

An additional training session addressing the levels of understanding of the existing processes with those persons andthe entities they represent prior to the next home game, with all parties signing an undertaking that they have understood them.

Collateral is distributed to visiting clubs’ supporters groups advising of the processes in place, the personal risksto welfare and the potential for being ejected for attempting to sit in the home ends

We also remind you again of the legal obligation of both the Club and its agents regarding the safety of both West Ham and any offending away supporters’ safety, which we urge is given the appropriate level of consideration and attention to provide somesubstance to your assurances.

Jake,our members have genuine concerns and we need the club to take these concerns seriously.Hammers United would be willing tomeet and assist you in every way possible to alleviate these concerns.

Best Regards.

Lee Rogers.

Joint Secretary,Hammers United.

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:03 am

Last week I was asked why we had started Hammers United.Was it because of the broken promises or the badly handled move to the new stadium.Was it because of lack of investment in the playing squad or the total disdain with which the Board treat our fans.Was it because of the unfair season ticket waiting list or the distance of the seats from the pitch at the new stadium.-Or perhaps the rumours over Boleyn Phoenix and the sale of the Boleyn Ground.

Well all of these things contributed but the real reason.
-Well please read my friend Lee's article below and then perhaps you will understand.

The Rogers Family.-100 years of watching The Hammers. I was moaning about how things are not the same since the move and how the club are willing to forget our past. I was asked ‘West Ham and your family, what does it mean?’ Well, my Grandad was at the 1923 FA cup final. He worked on the docks, for a company called Green and Siley Weirs. They had an agreement with West Ham to take on young players for an apprenticeship. So if football came to an end they had something to fall back on. Grandad had five sons and my Dad, Donald, was the middle one, born at home 19, Loxford Avenue, East Ham, which (thanks to Google Maps) I know is 310mtrs from the South Bank at Upton Park. Ernie was the eldest. He has told me that his Dad would take him to Upton Park from 1946 onwards and put him in the cage on the Green Street side of the North Bank, with all the other kids. Then he would go and stand with his mates in the middle. Ernie wasn’t allowed to stand with his Dad until he was 17. Ernie played for East Ham Boys and he said that a few times they played West Ham Boys at Upton Park before a West Ham game, for the Director’s Cup. When the chicken run was rebuilt they got season tickets upstairs North Bank end in line with the penalty spot. Grandad had his until 1979 and Ernie kept his until 1998. My Dad, Don, always told me that, if he didn’t have enough money, he knew where the loose boards were at the back of the Chicken Run and he’d get in for nothing. He took me to my first game on 2nd September, 1972. Manchester United at home, a 2-2 draw, but I saw my hero Bobby Moore.He also took me to the Den Haag and Eintract Frankfurt games in 1976. But when I could raise the money I would go on my own. We lived in Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire, so it could be a bit of a journey for a kid. Lads at school would say come to Arsenal or Spurs with us. You know my reply. I remember Newcastle, Sheffield Utd., etc., etc. I would stand on the North Bank and near the end I would make my way down to the corner flag. At the final whistle I would run down Priory Road and along to Loxford Avenue. My Nan would be waiting and say get in the corner behind a chair and don’t get in the way. I would position myself so I could see the TV and watch the teleprinter results coming in. My Uncles and all their mates would arrive and drink tea and eat whatever my Nan had set out. She would sort of moan about everyone being there, but she loved it. When the traffic had died down they would go and a short while later I would go along the Barking Road, past the Boleyn, up Green Street and to Upton Park station. One game I do remember was on 1st November, 1975. I went to a reserve game. My Nan clipped me behind my ear as I left 19 Loxford Avenue. The reason? I looked like a hooligan because I had a silk scarf hanging from a belt loop of my jeans. While we watched the game it was announced that West Ham had gone 1-0 down at Brum. Cue boos and ‘oh no here we go again’. Then another announcement, we had equalised, ‘yes!’, then another, then another. West Ham eventually won 1-5. Miracles do happen. I remember queuing up on a Sunday morning for 1975 Cup Final tickets with my old man and the youngest of the five Brothers, Edward. My Dad drove to Wembley, we parked and walked the last couple of miles. We met my Uncle Ernie and swapped tickets with him. We got seats with my Grandad and some of Ernie’s friends. There were six of us in a line. Half time a small bottle of whiskey got passed along the line, I took it and got a whack round the head for my troubles, I was 12. One story, that Ernie told me about Grandad, that I love, is about the Hillsborough semi final 1964. He said six of them were together and when they got back on the coach home, my Grandad stood in the aisle. He produced a bottle of whiskey, held it in the air and with tears streaming down his cheeks he said ‘I’ve waited over 40 years for this, we’re going to Wembley’. January 1977, Villa away in the cup, we got walloped. By this time I was proper hooked. That season I went Sunderland 0-6, Newcastle 0-3, Middlesborough on a Friday night. In fact from December to the end of the season I missed one game, Leeds away on a Tuesday night. I was 14. I don’t know how I did it. That was the season I met and was taken under the wings of and older group of lads from Welwyn. The looked after me all the time, they were about 20/21. Who would have known that 40 odd years later we would still be solid mates, that’s West Ham for you. I now go with Edward, the youngest Brother and his son, my Cousin Chris. My two Daughters have been a few times over the years but are not quite as soppy as their old man. But they are threatening to pay a visit to our new stadium. My Wife has been once, Coventry at home, we were 0-3 down at half time, she has never been back. There were periods I didn’t go a lot. The famous 1985/86 season I went to 2 games and I lived in Manor Park. We had our first born and my priorities were different. But it has always been with me. I can’t help it. I just feel that the club has changed so much.-Especially since the Stadium move.Their ‘rebranding’ seems to be pushing people, like me and my family, out. I think it’s because we don’t spend £100 in the club shop before the game. My Uncle Edward, Chris and me still go to the home games but so many of our friends have packed it in since the move after decades of following The Hammers. My hope is that Hammers United can apply pressure, so the club try harder to remember our traditions and heritage, from the past that make West Ham great, not just my past but all our pasts, because we are all West Ham aren’t we?!?!

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:20 am

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:21 am

Hammers United letter regarding away fan ban...

http://hammersunited.com/hammers-united ... -fans-ban/

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:21 am

A letter received at Hammers United HQ.this morning.

What are our members talking about?

Closed shop?

It has become apparent that the privilege of purchasing away tickets directly from West Ham United is now reserved for those who currently have that access. Breaking into that group is proving ever more difficult, or costly, and even impossible for some. The privilege of buying from the club is not to be confused with the privilege of attending. Attending those games is certainly still open to those with the desire to do so. The only problem being, you can’t attend in your name. Therefore you can’t give yourself the chance of attending future fixtures in your own name or maybe even claiming a more popular ticket in your own name. Demand is high, supply is often limited and so, perhaps naturally, a ‘black’ market evolves. Those with access to directly purchasing tickets don’t want to lose that access and, in many cases, you can argue that they’ve earned that right. But arguing is not what we should be doing. We need to unite. We can’t blame those who have access to tickets for having that access or blame them for utilising the only existing market place to pass those tickets on when the need arises. They are merely operating within the system as it is today. So who do we blame and how do we then level the proverbial playing field to a point where the black market is not the answer for those who wish to follow over land and sea?

1. Gold, Sullivan and Brady. Away fans have often been vocal critics of these three. Anything that sees divisions arise or that muddies the waters for a vocal travelling support, who might tarnish their reputation, would no doubt be very welcome.

2. The move (see above). More season ticket holders and an experience that just doesn’t compare to Upton Park is going to encourage people to travel to look for that experience.

3. Increased corporate season tickets (see above). These guys can ‘jump the queue’ so to speak. But again, this isn’t their fault. GSB wanted to sell more corporate seats.

4. The gentrification of the premier league in general. ‘Away Day’ culture is arguably a growing movement among those who resist popcorn, clappers and half & half scarves.

5. £30 cap. Offering to buy 4 tickets for your mates then sorting out who goes afterwards certainly takes on a different meaning when it’s £120 coming out of your account and not £280.

6. Relocation. I’m sure there was a time when most West Ham fans lived in the East End and jumped on a bus or walked to Upton Park. These days relocation is easy and common. There are hammers everywhere who would love to do their local Away day.

The priority point system, our bond holders, our away season ticket holders, and even the much maligned ballot are not to blame. Changes to these would merely shift the boundaries. Those who are buying the tickets might buy them at a lower point, but the shop door would remain closed. It’s all relative. ‘Blame’ lies with those who took actions that accelerated demand but haven’t catered for that, not with those who are forced to operate within their system to watch their team away from home.

So to the rub. How to level the playing field. How to ensure that the 3,000 people who want to drive up the M1 on a Wednesday night to watch their team can do so by purchasing a ticket from the club and not from a (some might say) less reliable source. Here lies the problem. Any solution. Any solution that anyone suggests to improve this system cannot be tested. We have no idea if it addresses the issue and then if it fixes the issue. Until the club will tell us where the tickets go, game by game, they hold all the cards. Just the way they like it. So, say we go for less ASTHs. We will still have no idea where all the tickets go. Or we get rid of the ballot. Well, where did they go for Bournemouth; no ballot there. Or we remove the point for certain games. We still don’t know who’s buying them. Unless we can get the club to engage in a discussion on this issue and to take action to inform the fan base we are stuck. Endlessly debating, continually frustrated and relying on a black market where, it has become apparent, we cannot trust the fellow ‘West Ham fan’.

Hammers United Committee is debating what proposals to put forward to the club .We thought it a good idea to post this member’s letter to help us guage our members’ views.-Thanks.

Hammers United Committee
www.hammersunited.com

Watford 'Ammer

Post by Watford 'Ammer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:38 am

^^^^

Keep chipping away. Keep making reasonable requests on topics that affect the fans. Keep building support slowly and steadily. The club can’t ignore this forever.

Northbank Bar

Football Supporters Asociation.

Post by Northbank Bar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Meeting of F.S.A. Premier League network.October 17th

Our Joint Secretary and Chairman represented Hammers United as we are now fully affiliated to the FSA.-It is such a change to deal with people that for once are on the side of the supporters.

The FSA.lobbies on supporters’ behalf and on occasions can make a difference.-As in when FA Cup final ticket allocations were increased.
There was discussion on many topics but the ones most pertinent to our members were as below:-

V.A.R.
There were concerns that decisions were not being conveyed clearly to fans within stadiums contrary to Premier League commitments.

Kick off times.
The Premier League had missed the last announcement by six days with obvious consequences for travelling supporters.The FSA.was campaigning for introduction of flexible rail tickets,IE.for the match not the date.

General Election.
The FSA.would lobby all political parties with it’s fan manifesto including more redistribution of football wealth to lower leagues,safe standing,flexible rail tickets,governance on clubs in crisis and diversity issues.

European Super League.
The FSA.expected to be part of any consultation and would oppose.

FA Cup.
The FSA.would be meeting the F.A. and would be lobbying for reduced semi-final and final prices and increased allocation.They had been successful in both in the past.Travel problems with Friday night K.O.s were also discussed.-Also that 5th round ties were to be played midweek.

Socios.
West Ham’s proposed moneterisation of fan engagement was noted with concern and the FSA seeking more information.Tross will be reporting separately on Socios and we will post on our website and facebook page accordingly.

Governance.
FSA.would be campaigning rigourously to prevent ‘another Bury’.

Anyone seeking a more detailed report please email us on secretary@hammersunited.com

We are doing our best to improve things for West ham supporters.Please check out our website www.hammersunited.com

Marlow Vaderman

Re: Hammers United launch campaign to force dialogue with the Club

Post by Marlow Vaderman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:23 pm

From Hammers United
West Ham refusing to engage with Supporters bodies.

Today we start our campaign in earnest to get West Ham round the table.-Remember,only West Ham and Hull out of the 91 league clubs refuse to meet their supporters.

We have written similar letters to The Premier League and UEFA as West Ham are also ignoring their laid down guidelines.

We have the full support of the Football Supporters Association and already 2 MPs have promised support.We will get support in the Press and on radio.

We really need the support of the West Ham family.Success would not only mean Hammers United at the negotiating table but would lead the way for other democratic West Ham fan’s groups .Perhaps then we could look at some sort of umbrella group to raise issues with the club and hopefully work together to improve things for West Ham supporters.

We ask our members to please support in every way.Those who havnt joined yet it would be great to have you alongside us.You can join on facebook or by Emailing us at membership@hammersunited.com-Thank You.

Department of Culture, Media & Sport

100 Parliament Street,

London

SW1A 2BQ 13th September 2019

enquiries@culture.gov.uk

Dear Sir/Madam,

Complaint to DCMS regarding West Ham United FC

We write to formally complain about our Club, West Ham United FC, acting in breach of the Football Governance guidelines as set by the DCMS select committee response (HC792-1) in 2011.

We write in good faith, in lieu of approaching an MP and asking that the matter be referred to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, and we therefore politely ask for your consideration.

We write as Hammers United (HU) www.hammersunited.com an independent supporters group representing some five thousand West Ham United supporters. In so doing we have the support of The Football Supporters’ Federation, with whom we are a fully affiliated member.

Our complaint is that the Club has repeatedly and continues to refuse to engage with any supporter body outside of one of their own making, namely the Official Supporters Board (OSB). We have been asking the Club to engage in direct dialogue with our group seeking to represent our members to discuss matters of most relevance to them and the broader attending fanbase. To date they have repeatedly refused such, explicitly stating that representations can only be made through their club mandated OSB.

We attach copies of correspondence with the Supporter Services Manager, Mr Jake Heath, which you will note conclude with him repeating on behalf of the Club that the OSB is the only organisation that they will have any dialogue with.

West Ham are bound by Article 35 of the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Do ... WNLOAD.pdf as well as other requirements and guidance with regards engagement with independent supporter groupings. Article 35 obliges affiliated Clubs to have ‘proper and constructive dialogue’ with fans and was designed to allow them to have an insight into affairs that affect them.

UEFA’s Regulations were further enforced in the UK by way of the Football Governance guidelines https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 8207_2.pdf

The recommendations of the DCMS’ Select Committee’s response (HC792-1) to the initial committee enquiry headed by Professor Richard Giulianotti (FG 29) in 2011 is explicit in its support of football club engagement with relevant supporter groups in its guidance to the Premier and Football Leagues.

The wording and intention of these Government guidelines are clear, expressing recognition of the problematic and avoidable challenges caused by recalcitrant attitudes at Football Clubs whose choice to disassociate and not properly listen to their supporters and the solutions offered by having open dialogue.

At paragraph 38 they state:

‘The Government believes that every Club should officially recognise the relevant supporters groups or trusts and keep an open dialogue with them. They should hold regular and annual general meetings at which these groups are invited to take part and at which appropriate financial and other information can be shared and consulted upon’.

West Ham have specifically refused to engage in such dialogue, hold such meetings, share such information or properly consult with independent formal groups and the OSB is inadequate for these purposes.

The OSB consists of representatives chosen by Club appointees. It is not democratic; no member is elected by supporters and significant issues that concern and affect attending fans are either unspoken or pass without transparency. The Club has experienced well publicised problems in the recent past with issues such as the management of the stadium, stewarding, fixtures, travel, price increases, waiting lists, ticket allocations etc all being prominent. Most recently the Club have announced a partnership with Socios, a company advertising supporter engagement in return for the buying of tokens, whilst at the same time refusing to engage in dialogue with independent groups.

The OSB and Club are inseparable from each other and the OSB does not constitute an independent, formal or democratic body as envisaged by the Regulations or Guidelines.

Instead it is merely a construct, a reincarnation if you will from the ashes of its previously failed and well documented incarnation, the Supporters Association Board (SAB), designed to give the appearance of compliance to the minimum terms. It is noted that it appears that it is only West Ham United FC and Hull City FC amongst League Clubs in England that are refusing to directly engage with their independent supporters’ groups. This demonstrates a seemingly intransigent attitude to their supporters and the independent supporter’s groups they have chosen to represent them, as well as demonstrating disregard to the Government guidelines.

We strongly believe the club should be embracing the guidelines and encouraging engagement, acting in an inclusive fashion rather than continually trying to shut down or wholly avoid more difficult questions in club-created and club-controlled forums.

Should they be needed we can give multiple examples of specific supporter issues that West Ham have not properly addressed and that either have not been raised by the OSB or, due to its structure, have been unable to be raised.

We would ask the DCMS to urge West Ham United Football Club to engage formally in open discussion at a senior level with our independent and democratic supporter group, in keeping with the spirit of the Government guidelines, rather than exclusively with their own informal and undemocratic body. We are willing to sit down together with other groups fitting the criteria to have a constructive dialogue and progress together the issues which most affect us as attending supporters.

We thank you in advance for your kind assistance in this most frustrating situation we find ourselves in and look forward to your formal response.

Should the Club continue to refuse to engage post your anticipated intervention, it is our intention pursuant to your formal complaint procedures to raise this concerning matter formally with an MP.

Yours faithfully,

Lee Rogers

Joint Secretary

www.hammersunited.com

Watford 'Ammer

Post by Watford 'Ammer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:52 pm

Fully behind Hammers United. We need an independent body in dialogue with the club to help us all.

Please like their FB page or join up on the website to show your support for the work they are doing :thup:

Northbank Bar

Post by Northbank Bar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:45 pm

It is a well structured letter drawing attention once again to how West Ham treat their supporters with disdain.Hopefully the DCMS will act on it and West Ham will be forced to act reasonably and emulate the other 19 Premier League clubs.