In The Name of God.....Go

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

southendmadhammer

Re: In The Name of God.....Go

Post by southendmadhammer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 am

To echo the feelings of many on here:

This club has been my life ever since my Dad first took me in 1994 and has been the emotional connection between me and my old man throughout this time. I can't accurately describe the excitement I would get the night before a match and the feeling I get when I went with him.

I gave GSB the benefit of the doubt when we moved but since it has become clear that they not only do not have the club's best interests at heart, but are simply intent on milking every supporter, the history of the club and its assets for every last penny for their own personal gain. It has been utterly heartbreaking to see.

I never ever ever thought I would have the apathy that I now have for a lifelong love - to the point where I now miss home games that are on tv. It has been the first step for me.

I won't be renewing next season. I can no longer justify giving money to them. It was a decision that I have made reluctantly but I implore every one of you to consider it as I have done. In my view, it is the only way in which we can force change.

Lil Joe 17

Post by Lil Joe 17 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:37 am

Disclaimer: I am an overseas West Ham fan, so if that gives you a right to discredit my opinion then so be it, as I know it's an obvious thing you can use to discredit my opinion. I have travelled to Olympic Stadium from the other side of the world as much as I can, and dont believe my parents decision to emigrate when I was 14 makes me any less of a fan.

My personal view on the matter, and I acknowledge it's controversial...The owners are crap, but the supporters have been crap too over the past 5/10 years too. We have crap owners, but our fans look at every opportunity to spin everything into negativity and put all blame on the doorstep of the owners, which creates further negativity, and creates a toxic atmosphere.

Pellegrini makes a poor decision, or Bilic makes a poor decision? They're making a statement to the owners to prove a point.

Allardyce & Moyes? Never given a chance.

We're divisive, and need to be united with an approach whether it's by protest or whether it's by getting behind the team. But even before the owners were in charge, if you look through the archives it's negativity whether it's about our managers or the owners in charge. We're not going to have a local East London billionaire take over and say "I'm a West Ham fan and have got all this money I don't know what to do with" so my opinion is that we need to get behind the team and acknowledge that we are going to look dreadful at times, and celebrate the times that we look awesome.

NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:40 am

Lil Joe 17 wrote:We're not going to have a local East London billionaire take over and say "I'm a West Ham fan and have got all this money I don't know what to do with".
We don't need one either, Leicester's foreign ownership for example have shown they understand and appreciate their support far more than our current East London & Welsh Billionaires understand ours...

Lil Joe 17

Post by Lil Joe 17 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:43 am

NorthBankAlliance wrote: We don't need one either, Leicester's foreign ownership for example have shown they understand and appreciate their support far more than our current East London & Welsh Billionaires understand ours...
Fair, they're quite clearly brilliant owners. Not many of them out there, unfortunately.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:53 am

brooking_1980 wrote:They are not going until the 10 year anniversary of the Concession Agreement, March 2023, then they don't have to pay a slice to the Government.

This is what I've always said , they're going to do their damnedest to keep hold of the London Stadium tenancy up until that date in the hope that they'll be able to make the stadium their own - on the cheap of course .

They've pissed off the LLDC so much with their ' hard negotiations ' that the result is apathetic stewardship , overpriced food and a refusal to change the carpeted area to claret - negotiations should be about ' give and take ' , not ' take take take ' - there'll always be consequences and these consequences don't affect G&S in the slightest - they arrive in their Rolls Royce , will be shown to their Director's Box , someone will bring them a sandwich at half time - the consequences affect the supporters - Dave Sullivan won't care if someone else is in your seat , he doesn't care if you have to queue up for ages or that the price of your half time burger is extortionate - he'll blame it all on the Stadium Owners - G&S' ' negotiations ' are the reason why your London Stadium experience is so poor .
It might have been better had G&S formed some sort of temporary ' partnership ' with the LLDC , it may have resulted in a much better match-day experience for everybody .

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:58 am

Not one other owner sold their home to move into an athletics stadium.

A couple did it after near bankruptcy as a stop gap measure (Bristol Rovers off the top of my head) but nobody chose to do it to progress.

Billy Bonds said our fans deserve a football stadium and the LS just simply is not one.

It’s not really a very complicated or unreasonable idea.

hxhammer

Post by hxhammer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:00 am

Marky wrote:In the Forge I know zero out of the 100 odd I have got to know who are renewing

We pay double Boleyn so I guess to them we matter more ?
There are 10 of us in there and we've all tipped bowlocks, the lounge is as souless as the rest of ths stadium, its like sitting in the reception of a Holiday Inn Express.

We've warned them time and again that the product is no now value for money, yet nothing has changed and now, they're putting the prices up?

Genius

jaybs

Post by jaybs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:14 am

I was just ages 10 my first match with my older brother, 225 miles each way in Dad's car, never faltered since, home & away, yes we had ups & downs but the atmosphere was amazing, when I was 23 my rugby career came to an end and I went into training the under 16 side, we were the first side to visit London and play a RL match against a school, we played two games and I fitted in an Arsenal match and of course West Ham with the boys! when I said West Ham, they were afraid, saying that's the East End, but the crowd was amazing in the and with them in their club embroidered jumpers they knew they played rugby league, they asked them about the game, and returning to the place we were staying a Hostel in the mini bus they could believe how friendly & warm the people were! just as I told them.

The last few years has changed so much, it is not even the same for me, I miss games and do not worry, I don;t post as much here as I used to, though I visit daily, It's sad, we are no longer The West Ham, soon there will be very few players who came up through the club, most of the blame I put on three people! two interested in money only, and one who is also on so other companies & boards and in The Lords, how did we get to this state. I am not saying everything was all roses over the years, I ran Martin Peters Fan Club while I was at school for over three years, and the newsletter was printed by a local printer in the North West for me, I once asked to use a photo which the club had copyright for, being in my early teens after waiting a few weeks I sent the newsletter for printing, a day after they came back a letter arrived you can't use the photo! I rang the club when I got home from school then we had Club Secetary's at our club, said what I had done, and the reply was either cut it out, or get a black marker and black it out?? LOL!

I will Never stop supporting the club, but it is just not the same............saddens me!

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:33 am

Doc H Ball wrote:Not one other owner sold their home to move into an athletics stadium.

A couple did it after near bankruptcy as a stop gap measure (Bristol Rovers off the top of my head) but nobody chose to do it to progress.

Billy Bonds said our fans deserve a football stadium and the LS just simply is not one.

I was against the idea from the outset tbf

However, given what we know about football owners and particularly business people who end up owning football clubs, i think quite a few other owners would have moved into the stadium [or an equivalent] if it offered the opportunity for a big new shiny stadium on their doorstep for free, especially one with as much global publicity as the Olympic Stadium. For them, with their business hats on, it was too good an opportunity to miss out on. Unfortunately for us as fans, it wasn't a good plan

Of course, we will never know for sure as it was a very unique set of circumstances

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:37 am

Doc H Ball wrote:Not one other owner sold their home to move into an athletics stadium.

What do you think the answer is now then , Doc ?

Even if we somehow got rid of Gold & Sullivan today we'd still be stuck with the London Stadium .

The Boleyn is gone , it's now a block of flats .

We can't play at Wembley while our old stadium gets re-built so what is the solution ?

I guess we need to own our own stadium and make changes to it - we're stuck with it until 2023 at the very earliest .

mushy

Post by mushy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm

NorthBankAlliance wrote: That corresponded with the mood on here, whereby if you were one of the rare few dissenters against the move you were shot to pieces.

Karren Brady put out the line that we had "bragging rights over Tottenham", and guess what plenty on this forum / matchgoing punters / on social media lapped it up and were out there gloating.
k.
The mood on here? There were three different polls on here, am pretty sure UTJ can furnish you with the results.
You are right in one sense, dissenters were shouted down ,generally though by the same suspects, most of which have disappeared, doesnt mean it was a majority, just means they had the biggest virtual gobs.
The Tottenham thing is correct, but you seem to blame the people that fell for it rather then those that played the fans like a fiddle.
They were conned pure and simple, if your nan loses her life savings because someone knocks on her front door and distracts her while someone else rifles through her stuff, do you blame your nan for.being old and silly, or the blokes that actually did it?
Brady knew exactly how to play the fans, she is an expert grifter, its how she got where she is today.

And thats where the responsibility for all of this starts and ends.

The Moth

Post by The Moth » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Marlow Vaderman wrote:I guess we all agree that they are not going to up and leave in the near future. With this in mind the only option is to look to gather all the dissenting voices and using weight of numbers force the board into meaningful dialogue.
MV, I respect the effort you guys are making for the sake of all supporters, a year on from the planned March it is good to see that there's still hope that we can pull together to put genuine pressure on our owners in order to achieve the changes we all want to see.

But I think we are past any point of meaningful dialogue with this lot. I appreciate as a group you would need to make that your first step and to have attempted to reach out to the club, but look how many times supporters have tried to speak with them, websites like this one and all other online sites / social media etc , it's not hard for clubs to listen to and engage with supporters. Our lot are just not interested and on top of that have lied at every point and actively tried to divide the support, they have never been fully called out on it all like they deserve to be. They've lied to us constantly and are an absolute disdain on our club in my opinion and that's even before considering the fact they sold our home and moved us to a rented athletics stadium.

My only interest in regards to the owners is what action is most effective to put enough pressure on them so that they sell up. Any new ownership should then be met with a clear voice from the fans that the club needs a proper football ground that we own.

Personally I think there's only two ways of doing this, either people stop renewing and stay away from the ground in planned boycott or option 2 to organise protests and marches like was originally planned last year.

I'm not one for telling people whether they should give up their season tickets but a boycott of matches would be an extremely effective option if it was to ever happen. Equally protests like at the burnley game have proven to work in terms of putting pressure on the owners, either way it will take big numbers to successfully apply enough continued fan pressure to get the owners out.

I haven't signed up to Hammers United yet but I know people who have, I am just I waiting to see what action you guys plan beyond the attempt at dialogue. Rest assured if or when the time comes for action against the board I will be there and I am sure many others will too, for that we need an action group, and one that's overall aim is for the owners to go so if Hammers United do ever stand by that then I will be signing up. Hopefully Hammers United can be the ones to pick the baton up so to speak after last year and finally drive forward the only real call for change we need to see, that being for Sullivan, Brady and Gold out of our club.

Marlow Vaderman

Post by Marlow Vaderman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Moth
Excellent reply.
Hammers United have set up initially to gather her strength in numbers to try and force the board to engage with the disgruntled fan base. We are feeling our way at the moment as it’s still very early days. A letter has been sent to the club by way of introduction but to date there has been no reply. We currently have c2000 members, a number which is growing daily.
As for next steps we have our own ideas but ultimately these steps will be driven by (a) the attitude of our board (b) when suitable numbers have joined, the membership.
We currently position ourselves as a pressure group but I think all who have worked to set this group up are under no illusion as to where this road will lead. I sincerely hope that in the future you can be persuaded to join us as you are clearly the kind of person we would embrace.
In closing, I would like to state that in my opinion the only way to force change (be that improvements to the match day experience or removal of the current board) is if we stand together as Hammers... United....
COYI
MV ⚒⚒

NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm

mushy wrote:The mood on here? There were three different polls on here, am pretty sure UTJ can furnish you with the results.
You are right in one sense, dissenters were shouted down ,generally though by the same suspects, most of which have disappeared, doesnt mean it was a majority, just means they had the biggest virtual gobs.
The Tottenham thing is correct, but you seem to blame the people that fell for it rather then those that played the fans like a fiddle.
They were conned pure and simple, if your nan loses her life savings because someone knocks on her front door and distracts her while someone else rifles through her stuff, do you blame your nan for.being old and silly, or the blokes that actually did it?
Brady knew exactly how to play the fans, she is an expert grifter, its how she got where she is today.

And thats where the responsibility for all of this starts and ends.
Interesting reading tbf:

Do you support the plans by WHUFC's Board of Directors to move the Club to the Olympic Stadium?
(September 2012)
Yes 64%; No 22%, Undecided 12%

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-this summer's games
(February 2012)
Yes 21%; No 61%, Undecided 17%

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?
(January 2011)
Yes 57%; No 32%, Undecided 11%

Do you support the proposed move to an Olympic Stadium with a running track, post-2012 games?
(May 2010)
Yes 18%; No 72%; Undecided 10%

Do you support David Sullivan's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium?
(January 2010)
Yes 54%; No 21%; Undecided 25%

The analogy is good, and of course you'd blame the wrong uns, as I blame the board.

But what's going on now is akin to my nan following up with the conmen and setting up a monthly direct debit with them...

sendô

Post by sendô » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:10 pm

This is the best we can hope for every season while they're in charge. They don't want us to push on and get into Europe as it would mean needing to invest in the squad to make it deep enough to cover playing twice a week - they want to make a profit on our best players and do enough to keep us mid table and the money rolling in.

They'll be far happier with 12th than 7th.

What's the point in supporting a team like that? :eh:

Prob

Post by Prob » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:10 pm

Since the story about them not having the money to invest in the team this summer because of who much they spent last summer.

The team has given up and the manager has as well. They undermine everything, wouldn't suprised me if they don't want us in Europe becasue they will need to spend out more money to the players and studium.

They have and always will be about keeping cost low and profits high with little risk. They would be happy if the club finished 15th every season

You know what when they do sell up if we go on to push for the league they will take credit for it and tell everyone how they saved us and built us into that team

If it goes tits up and we end up in league 1 it will be the fans fault for pushing them out

psychoscoredthelot

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:14 pm

i gave my ST up this year after 2 years at the bowel

its not what it used to be and never will be again

weve been sold a lemon

will take in the odd home game each season when mates have spares..... but the bowel is so removed from an away day experience its unrecognisable to me

GPW

Post by GPW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:15 pm

[quote="The Moth"] Any new ownership should then be met with a clear voice from the fans that the club needs a proper football ground that we own.

This may be unpopular but I think there's far too much emphasis on the Stadium and (unfortunately) too naive an expectation that somehow new owners will fix that - length of the lease, cost and structural issues of design changes, cost of building an alternative etc etc. Besides, some people seem happy with their lot at the stadium and some will never be happy because it's not the BG.

I still think if the owners were delivering on the pitch a lot of the stadium noise would ease. This is where things don't stack up. We play in the world's most lucrative league (TV, prize money), we have a 60,000 stadium that is largely full, our total income has risen massively since the BG, our stadium operating costs are negligible (not how I would have negotiated it but its a fact) and yet it seems we have no money to spend or a pretty crap squad based on what we have spent. We are underachieving based on those in/around us. That's down to the way the club is managed off the field.

I don't know about you but when I see carefully fed stories about us being at the limit on wages I certainly don't feel any sympathy or adjust my expectations. No, what I see in such statements is a absolutely embarrassing indictment on the way the club is run. We over pay for old, injury prone (often "name") players. It's all short term and we're constantly fixing the gaps that it seems everybody other than the owners can see. Changing the manager and switching one batch of over paid injury prone players for another is not going to change the result. Our owners know the price of everything and the value of nothing. They are short-term "turn a profit" merchants. They don't recognise long term strategic thinking and appear to be out of their depth other than in their ability to make money for themselves (the high interest loans being a particular scandal).

The stadium is a distraction - the media and public have no sympathy on that partly because of the self proclaimed "great deal" we got. We need GSB out because their ongoing management of the club is embarrassingly poor. If we really don't have any money to spend then we are either poorly run from a revenue generation perspective or from a spending perspective. Either way that's a management issue, especially for self proclaimed "successful business execs".

Marlow Vaderman

Post by Marlow Vaderman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:17 pm

So join Hammers United..
If we have enough voices and make enough noise they will have to listen. Love or hate what happened at the Burnley game you can’t deny that it was the focal point of the last round of Fan Pressure and the catalyst for change. Unfortunately the club played divide and conquer and we all played straight into their hands.
Let’s not fall into the trap again. Let’s make our many voices be one..
We are West Ham United.. and we’ve done this before.. now we have to stand together again..
COYI
MV ⚒⚒

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:45 pm

I do not get the criticism of MP, we played poorly and got beat by the better side. Especially given the injury and personal issues we had Saturday, the way to play them would have been to be less expansive, close down their space etc do all the things that Sam or Moyes would have advocated yet that is not “the West Ham way.”

We played pretty much as poorly for 70 minutes against Huddersfield (indeed also against others) yet because we turned it around in the last 20 most were saying what a great game it was. What they were hoping to see - well live by the sword on occasions you will die by it as well. Do people want an open expansive approach or a cautious more respect the point especially when the odds are against you one?

For or against the Stadium move it has happened, harsh as it may be it is like a loved one dying, there is no choice but to move on. The thought that G&S were ever going to make any decision that was not in their best financial interests, be that over Stadium moves, summer transfer budgets or ticket prices is equally delusional, they are in it to make money and will remain until either someone else in it to make money comes along to offer them a short term profit or we luck into one of the owners who see a successful premiership team as a vanity project because that is what top flight football is now, a moneytrain or vanity project.

Yes pressure can and should be brought to make sure they are held to account but the thought they will sacrifice their money for fan “pleasure” is for me wrong. They did not spend £100m and bring in MP in the summer just because of the Burnley game as much as the fact that they saw the manager and squad they had as being far too close to falling out of the gravy train that is the Premier league.