midweek games 2nd and 3rd of April

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: midweek games 2nd and 3rd of April

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:16 pm

oops ! Zidane loses away to Valencia (or at least it's 2-0 in the 85th minute.....)

that new manager bounce didn't last long did it...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Claret&Blue,Thru&

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 pm

What's happened to the BBC coverage?

carnage

Post by carnage » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 pm

Read Spurs didn’t sell out, 2800 empties.

Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:24 am

carnage wrote:Read Spurs didn’t sell out, 2800 empties.
Fully sold out. Capacity was a little reduced due to segregation and a couple of areas that tickets can’t yet be sold for due to the safety certificate. We also announce attendances as actual ‘bums on seats’ as opposed to ‘tickets sold’ like you lot (and Arsenal) do.

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:34 am

Luke (THFC) wrote:Fully sold out. Capacity was a little reduced due to segregation and a couple of areas that tickets can’t yet be sold for due to the safety certificate. We also announce attendances as actual ‘bums on seats’ as opposed to ‘tickets sold’ like you lot (and Arsenal) do.
As it should be, Luke. :thup:
Does my head in. Who the f**k cares how many seats have been sold? That isn't attendance, the clue's in the word.
Did you enjoy it over there?

IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:04 am

carnage wrote:Read Spurs didn’t sell out, 2800 empties.
Pretty sure it was sold out, certainly tickets were for sale for insane prices on the internet ... Spurs use a fully electronic access system so they know not only how many, but also every individual person who does or doesn't attend, as the stadium is 'cash-less' they also know who spends what once inside the ground, it's very big-brother stuff.

Unlike a lot of EPL clubs they are committed to reporting actual attendance numbers not just tickets sold.

We claimed on average >10,000 more attending than who are actually in the ground ... 59,988 against Everton? yet there must have been 15,000 empty seats ...

I think the EPL should insist on all clubs reporting 'actual' attendance ... all clubs record that information so why not use it?

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:07 am

Luke (THFC)

Nah not really. Got off at Seven Sisters then walked up in the sleet. Traffic terrible on the High Street and wondered if I'd get jumped. Then was surrounded by thousands of complete ****ing idiots all chomping away on their craft piss.

I sat there all envious, just like your Karren said. I'm paying a grand for this poncey CL nonsense. Wish I was in your shoes.

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:50 am

Here's a stat that defies the "no easy games in the Prem" theory.

The bottom three have now played 31 games against the top 6 clubs and lost every single one of them. In doing so, they've only scored 17 goals.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:01 am

the premier league is becoming non competitive and boring. watched city cruise to another win. Now whilst they play good football it is not a competitive game like so many of theirs this season as they are too good. one player equals the whole Cardiff team!

as a neutral watching it last night I found it a boring game where the result was never in doubt.

only two teams competing for the title the rest making up the numbers .

football as a sport will die if it continues like this and one team is just too good.

There should be a transfer cap for all teams. say you can only spend 100m. at the moment city can just buy whoever they want and sky/BT go on how wonderful they are against a Cardiff side that cost a tenth of the team.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:37 am

Palace were utterly depressing last night, first half treated Tottenham like they were Barcelona, fair enough be cautious but not 11 men behind the ball

Icardi scores on his return

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:13 am

Watched a little of the Man C game, I say game, was more attack against defence.

KDB was in superlative form for Man C, I appreciate it was against a lower team, but still, coming back from injury and looked really sharp. He stays fit and gets totally match sharp he could be the difference for Man C in the run in.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 am

hammerman11 wrote:the premier league is becoming non competitive and boring. watched city cruise to another win. Now whilst they play good football it is not a competitive game like so many of theirs this season as they are too good. one player equals the whole Cardiff team!

as a neutral watching it last night I found it a boring game where the result was never in doubt.

football as a sport will die if it continues like this and one team is just too good.

There should be a transfer cap for all teams. say you can only spend 100m. at the moment city can just buy whoever they want and sky/BT go on how wonderful they are against a Cardiff side that cost a tenth of the team.
It is not showing any signs of demise at the moment, but for sheer enjoyment, Leagues 1and 2 are the where it's at. Terracing, banter, laughs, mixing with the oppo fans and beers a plenty. It's not showing any signs of dieing down there, quite the opposite in fact. For proof, ask any Pompey fan, where they'd rather be

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:16 am

If dropping to League 2 would equal no more GSB.

I'd take that option every day of the week.

Patito

Post by Patito » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:19 am

hear hear

James P

Post by James P » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 am

hammerman11 wrote:the premier league is becoming non competitive and boring. watched city cruise to another win. Now whilst they play good football it is not a competitive game like so many of theirs this season as they are too good. one player equals the whole Cardiff team!

Was it not ever thus?

The probable champions at home to a probable relegated side is always something of a foregone conclusion isn't it? I doubt there were many occasions in the 80s, 90s, 00s where the champions dropped points at home to a bottom 4-5 side?

I've been watching football for thirty years. I would say most seasons the title is fought between two teams. I'm struggling to think of a time where there was a legitimate three horse race with six games left of the season.

Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:54 am

James P wrote:I doubt there were many occasions in the 80s, 90s, 00s where the champions dropped points at home to a bottom 4-5 side?
Kenny Brown!

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:55 am

S-H wrote:If dropping to League 2 would equal no more GSB.

I'd take that option every day of the week.

We wouldn't have to drop that far, but get your point, as who wouldn't ? The Championship would be enough for them to jack it in. Pompey still got 17,500 gates, even in League 2 and what a ball they had every week and still do

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 am

I agree to a point James.

I guess more today than ever you have the "haves" & the "have nots" - I guess us, Everton, Leicester, teams like us are the in-betweens. Then you have some clubs, mainly new promoted struggling to compete unless they spend very big in the summer. I know there are exceptions, but if they don't spend they tend to be fighting relegation all season. Spending like Fulham does not also guarantee.

I think the gulf between the haves & not is the widest it has ever been, and for me I cannot see that improving, only getting worse.

James P

Post by James P » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:03 am

Monkey Mike wrote:Kenny Brown!
Man Utd weren’t champions and they weren’t at home.

James P

Post by James P » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:I agree to a point James.

I guess more today than ever you have the "haves" & the "have nots" - I guess us, Everton, Leicester, teams like us are the in-betweens. Then you have some clubs, mainly new promoted struggling to compete unless they spend very big in the summer. I know there are exceptions, but if they don't spend they tend to be fighting relegation all season. Spending like Fulham does not also guarantee.

I think the gulf between the haves & not is the widest it has ever been, and for me I cannot see that improving, only getting worse.
Again though, this is not a new thing. In the 90s newly-promoted clubs had a real hard time staying up. The likes of Barnsley, Swindon, Bradford, Watford etc were all either instantly relegated or spent their whole time in the Premier League battling the drop. When you look at how well teams like Bournemouth, Wolves, Watford, Crystal Palace, Burnley have done shortly after promotion in recent years you could make a case that in fact, the plight of a newly promoted side is better than it's ever been.