Steve Sidwell

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

ironsjh

Steve Sidwell

Post by ironsjh » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Just stumbled across this and thought it was worth sharing

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10:44

The Icelandics offered Steve Sidwell three times what Chelsea offered him when his Reading contract expired. He was quite a late offer too. Grant also went in for him in January 2011, if I recall correctly. But we pulled out of the deal as we didn't have enough squad registration places. Still watching the interview so not sure if he will mention it later.

Modes, feel free to close if this isn't the appropriate place to post it.

hammer1975

Re: Steve Sidwell

Post by hammer1975 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Didn’t Karren allegedly pull the plug as Hitzlsperger and Collison were due to return from injury? Their returns were both delayed and they never really looked fit and then Parker got injured so we lost 7 of last 8 games after we’d actually had a few positive results. In the meantime Sidwell went on to win player of the year for Fulham and play in the PL for a few more years whilst we had a season down in the championship. Definitely felt a potential sliding doors moment.

Was a great decision to pass on him .... :thup:

steward205

Post by steward205 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:39 am

Strange this as I used to work in kings wood Surrey where a lot of the footballers live. I traveled by train and looked for the standard newspaper left behind by commuters from London. As I walked up and down the carriage I noticed a ginger haired bloke sat by the window with his mrs. As I picked up the paper he was in an article about not joining us. As I walked past I asked why he wasn’t joining and he said I don’t know and neither does Avram!!!

He wanted to join.

I thought it was something to do with Martin o neill joining and he didn’t get on with Sidwell

Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:47 pm

Pardew would love to have brought him with him from Reading but I think there was some kind of block in the deal.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:52 pm

hammer

that's the story I remember at the time

(however my memory is not brilliant)

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:04 pm

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/70834.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feels like the kind of decision ‘clusterfuck’ was invented for, potentially the decision which cost the club £50m of income and one that our manager publically criticised at the time (so clearly wasn’t a footballing decision).

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:10 pm

well my memory wasn't THAT bad on this occasion...

:thup:

TootingRob

Post by TootingRob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:53 pm

I've seen him a few times in the Kingswood arms, if any of you are ever that way, pop in it's an amazing pub with very good food. Next door to the station.