What did you expect this season ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

BondsoBob

What did you expect this season ?

Post by BondsoBob » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:43 am

What did you realistically expect for this season ?
I was very pleased when Pellegrini was appointed. After all, when was the last time West Ham had a manager with a league title on his CV ?
I wasn't expecting to win the league, and I didn't really think that we would win a cup. And I wasn't expecting things to change dramatically overnight. However (yesterday's performance withstanding) it seems to me to have been just another bang average type of West Ham season.
Some very good performances. And some absolutely diabolical performances.
If we don't get another point this season, which is quite possible, we will finish pretty much the same as last term.
For all the optimism at the start I now feel rather flat and disappointed with it all.
(I should be used to it after 55 years!) :asleep:
What were your expectations ?

prophet:marginal
Location: Boleyn Ground, Westham United Football Club, Green St, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ

Re: What did you expect this season ?

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:56 am

I expected the league to be 6 + 8 + 6 and it broadly turned out that way.

I have been pleasantly surprised that, when we play the best teams (the first 6), we've often tested them more than they've respectively played against each other (City mauled Chelsea, for instance, and THFC did the same at OT). We have a coach who can bring out a surprising performance.

I also expected the team to remain inconsistent, as if it struggles with a basic purpose in its play, from one game to the next.

I didn't expect such large outlay in the months post-Pellers' arrival. I think that most of his signings have done what we'd expect from them, or better, save for the losses to injury, so the foundation he had from Moyes has been strengthened.

I am growing however to accept that the club has deliberately set fairly limited horizons for itself. There isn't any real drive behind any kind of '5 Year Plan'.

As such, the worst parts of the season were predictable; we are a safe-ish bet for survival, but don't waste your money backing us to lift a trophy.

Operation More Of The Same, next time around.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 am

About what we've got to be honest

norse

Post by norse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:16 am

I expected to be placed somewhere between 11th and 17th in the league, avoiding relegation is the only "triumph" one can expect with the current board.

Stepney

Post by Stepney » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:37 am

More performances like yesterday. Funnily enough our other top drawer performance this year was at home against this lot. Ok it would be unrealistic to expect us to play like that every week but personally I expect the players to put in 100% effort at the very least. And It's so obvious when they don't. Being a West Ham fan has never been about winning things for me. It's about exactly what we did yesterday...turning up! Then whatever happens happens. I can honestly live with the result yesterday because watching the commitment and the way we played put a smile on my face like nothing else can. I felt proud that we gave it a real go.

So in conclusion this season I expected us to turn up and put a real shift in a lot more than we have. The times we have done that this season could probably be counted on one hand. Maybe next season they will do it often enough so we can count it on two hands?! That for me would be progress! Seeing as there are 38 games in a season (not including cup) we could perhaps have a 6 year plan where we could increase the number of games we give 100% effort in by 5 games per year? (next year would be 10, the following would be 15 etc). Then after 6 years they would be playing 35 games with 100% effort and commitment (I think we should allow them 3 lazy games as they are also human beings).

sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:45 am

Puff Daddy wrote:About what we've got to be honest

That’s untrue as usual

August the fourth 2018 in a prediction thread you wrote this

Puff Daddy wrote:like one or two others, I think we are in for a pretty good season and for the first time in years, one of my predictions is I do genuinely think we stand a real good chance of actually winning something this year and that most definitely is WHU related

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am

Before a ball was kicked I forecasted an 11th place finish, 49 points and a negative goal difference.

Two of those now look optimistic.

I also stated we had not done enough in the transfer market and any progression up the table would be as a consequence of others inadequacies rather than our improvement. On that I was partially correct I think although at times we are significantly easier on the eye than we were.

What I hadn't expected was the level of inconsistency , either in the performance of individuals or the team, and the Arnie strop was a real curveball, even though it had been brewing from very early on in the season.

For all the talk about finishing 7th though, the brutal truth is we're nowhere near the top 6, and nowhere near winning a trophy of any kind. The idea that we can improve steadily, year upon year and at some point in the future we will magically appear at the top of the tree is just fantasy.

Incremental improvement in this league doesn't work, it requires a quantum leap and or a Devon Loch style collapse of multiple other clubs.

Next season I'm expecting a worse season, a bottom 6 campaign from day 1, an underinvested, unbalanced squad that struggles to defeat the powerhouses that are Bounemouth, Brighton and Norwich.

We'll be ace against Tottenham and Man Utd though.

szola

Post by szola » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:47 am

I was hoping for more a more passing game, and a positive goal difference.
Apart from the Arnautovic transfer saga, we've been both far better and worse than expected.

e17

Post by e17 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:58 am

The owners to get away with it and the supporters to turn on the manager once he had us safe from relegation

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 pm

6th .

But I've always been overly optimistic .

Ridler

Post by Ridler » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Before the season started I predicted (not on here) 50 points. My thinking was we can’t get no points against the likes of Newcastle, Brighton again and I didn’t really rate the promoted sides. 17/18 season 50 points would of got you 8th. So I thought 8/9th was possible.

After the first four matches I feared the worse. At Christmas I was thinking top six.

I still believe 50 points is possible with performances like yesterday’s.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:28 pm

And then one month after Sicknote's quote:

Puff Daddy wrote:I think, even after just 4 matches this has to start. Coral's don't fancy our chances, already we are as short as 5/2. Only Cardiff, Huddersfield and Burnley shorter odds than ourselves
Taking both your predictions and working out an average, you did predict about where we are now.

e-20

Post by e-20 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Before a ball was kicked I forecasted an 11th place finish, 49 points and a negative goal difference. Two of those now look optimistic.

I also stated we had not done enough in the transfer market and any progression up the table would be as a consequence of others inadequacies rather than our improvement. On that I was partially correct I think although at times we are significantly easier on the eye than we were.

Incremental improvement in this league doesn't work, it requires a quantum leap and or a Devon Loch style collapse of multiple other clubs.

Next season I'm expecting a worse season, a bottom 6 campaign from day 1, an underinvested, unbalanced squad that struggles to defeat the powerhouses that are Bounemouth, Brighton and Norwich.
That is so spot on. One good thing about this poor finish is it just might stop the usual complacency from the owners though I doubt it. At this point I do worry about next season as there is still so much to be done to create any hope of consistency without any obvious 5 year plan to add youth, vitality and gradually build the team as a longer term vision even in the Leicester vision. It's always fire fighting without the consistent investment to hope to carry out even that suspect limited policy reliably.

But despite all that your best insight is the 'incremental policy' appraisal because as Southampton and others find your better players simply get picked off the moment you show potential, till your ability to continually find replacements fail. Hell we can't even do that short term let alone season after season like the Saints did. The only way to hope to break through is serious and persistent investment both in the squad and the club's facilities so that even if you don't make a very unlikely immediate breakthrough you can keep players on board long enough in the expectation of future riches. Spurs and City have varied in their approach but those general rules very much apply to both. 4m Into the Academy facilities, erratic investment and a big flashy but ultimately unfulfilling sterile stadium doesn't really cut it in those terms outside of the board's deluded minds.

simon hammer

Post by simon hammer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Top half finish, better more pleasing style of football and a positive goal difference.

Next season...struggle in the bottom four or five teams, attritional football and a huge negative goal difference.

Ribbot

Post by Ribbot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Top half, with a positive gd.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Stepney wrote:More performances like yesterday. Funnily enough our other top drawer performance this year was at home against this lot. Ok it would be unrealistic to expect us to play like that every week but personally I expect the players to put in 100% effort at the very least. And It's so obvious when they don't. Being a West Ham fan has never been about winning things for me. It's about exactly what we did yesterday...turning up!
This was my expectation also. A bit more of this and we would have achieved a shot at an FA cup final and possibly a top six finish. Alas, so many games where the effort was non existent. What a waste....again.

Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:54 pm

I expected mid table and a decent cup run.I got the mid table bit spot on.

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:13 pm

On the pitch, 8th - 10th with some better football played. (Not too far off - Better luck next time)
Off the pitch, people whinging and calling for the managers head following a patch if bad form. (Spot on)

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:27 pm

I have no idea.... sicky how do I see what I predicted?

Errrm with the new manager onboard with a DOF I wanted to see the constant and consistent buying issues resolved

I wanted to see some youth getting a chance

I wanted to see exciting football

I wanted to see us give a cup a go

Got 2.5 out of 4, I’ve enjoyed our season under Pellers although I’m not that engaged in much West Ham stuff apart from this site

In typical west ham fashion instead of building on it and transforming things our owners will cluster **** it as usual

Jumby

Post by Jumby » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:13 pm

I hoped not to be bored out of my skull and I hoped for progression.

I wasn't bored for nearly half a season and I thought we were progressing. I'm now bored out of my skull and we're not progressing.

I like Pellegrini though, he's a good man.