Winston Reid

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Kialos

Re: Winston Reid

Post by Kialos » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:51 pm

-DL- wrote:
Or perhaps he's a bit of a non-entity in football and media terms, and just hasn't had the exposure Carroll has :hush:
I don't want any West Ham player to have the "exposure" Carroll has.

If you had actually been at Swansea and seen Reid lying motionless for several minutes whilst concerned medical staff treated him I would like to think you'd not be making posts such as this.

WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:57 pm

I suspect that the key reason Winston isn't derided for his absences the same way Carroll is essentially rests on the 'why' aspect, rather than the 'is' aspect of his injury problems. A chronic back injury (or even a fairly minor complaint) is something that is not only a problem in itself, but it impacts nearly every other part of the body. I won't labour over the details but when I was working as a nurse over 20 years ago, I tore 2 different muscles in my back at different times - and I simply couldn't do the job anymore physically; it wasn't just the debilitating pain in my back, but it affected my legs, my arms, my chest and stomach muscles - pretty much every bit of the body required to do a physically demanding job.

I get the impression that Winston is also the sort of player who will play through a pain barrier when needed, and whilst that's admirable, when one of the main reasons for your injury woes is based on a back injury, it won't ever get better, and you'll end up probably doing a massive amount of chronic damage not just to your back but possibly to your knees, ankles, shoulders and more. I think the analogy to Vincent Kompany is a decent one - the sort of player who will play through a pain barrier for the team's short-term gain but is something that is taking it's toll on him now (similar ages I think?).

We may have to be ruthless and let Winny go, and if so I wouldn't be too amazed if he retired not long afterwards - he's never gonna come back like he was (and for my money about 6 years ago he was one of the very best CB's in the whole PL).

This summer he'll have been with us 9 years - almost unheard of these days (aware AC's been here yonks too!) - and the sentimentalist in me would love to see him maybe get one more year and get a testimonial. He'll leave us with some fab memories and a few epic goal-scoring moments in our folklore forever.

And to be fair - I hope we can also remember those great Andy Carroll moments too. :thup:

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:50 am

-DL- wrote:What shall we do do with him? Keep or get rid?

Another perma-crock, like Carroll, but gets cut loads of slack due to THAT goal, and the one against Millwall.

Fact of the matter is, he's only averaged 4 more appearances a season in all competitions since he's been here (24) than Andy Carroll has.

Time to cut our losses and wave goodbye?
I'd say, time to let Reid go now.

But don't compare Reid with Carroll DL it's embarrassing.

Your constantly defending a player that has shown contempt for the sport and our club, never even attempted to try and look after himself. Something that has been confirmed from various sources. Reid couldnt lace Carroll's boots on this one.

HammeredWasp

Post by HammeredWasp » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:08 am

You can't sell a crock. Give him a freebie, he deserves that at least

szola

Post by szola » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:56 am

Even before his latest injury he's been out every season due to injury.

He missed 9 games earlier in the season before he took his knee.
5 games in the season before that.
17 in the season before that.
12 before that.

These injuries will take its toll, and even more so when you turn 30.
I'm sure that we'll find someone seeing an opportunity to play him, in a league that is not so demanding. We can always fund part of his wage.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:09 am

reid isn't going anywhere as he has 4 years left on his mega contract. I doubt we will ever see him play again for us which is a shame because he was one of my favourite defenders.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:21 am

Winston doesn't seem like the sort of player who will be happy being fit and not playing.
If he gets fit and we decide that he is not p to the Premier League I am sure we will come to an agreement where we give him a free transfer to allow him to play somewherr else - maybe Australia [do NZ still have a representative in the A League?]

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 am

IF he ever gets fit

stu1

Post by stu1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:54 am

Wasn’t there a picture of him training circulated a couple of weeks back?

If so I’d assume, he’s expected to be back fit for the start of next season? Obviously he may have further complications as with any long term injury, but my understanding was that he is nearing a ‘full’ recovery.

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:01 pm

jastons wrote:
In what way would replacing Reid with Cahill be a positive thing to do?
Good solid pro, decent injury record, will be affordable wages wise. What's not to like as a back up/competition for Diop and the General? Who do you think we should go for? Laporte?!

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Impossible for anyone to say until we've seen him again.

The circumstances are difficult to compare to a conventional spell out, both in terms of sheer length of time and in the nature of the injury – it was about as bad as it gets in terms of onfield damage.

If it wasn't for that, in theory a 30 year old centre back has 5 years left in him, which would see out his contract with a year to spare.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 am

Good to see him back

Difficult to tell from that game what sort of level he’ll come back at given how long he’s been out. But think it shows some level of mental strength to come back and hopefully we’ll see him back to his best.

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Amazing that it will be just shy of 18 months since his last competitive appearance, when the season starts. He will be an important option, and hopefully he can rediscover his quality quickly.

westlondonhammer

Post by westlondonhammer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Good to see him back.

At his best he has been magnificent over the years. Even if he isn't quite back to his best he'll be essential in allowing us to rotate Diop and Balbuena. A player who was always better in a back 4 rather than a back 3, he'll fit right into a Peller's way of playing

HammerAl

Post by HammerAl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:12 pm

Amazing to see him back. I thought he was finished. He may not get back to his best level but what a player to have in and around the squad.

Our best defender over the last 10 years IMO. Diop and Balbuena might just have something to say about that over the next season or two though...

e17

Post by e17 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Whatever happens this season, bloke will retire as a player held in similar esteem to Collins, Potts and Galey

My_Sobriquet

Post by My_Sobriquet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:11 pm

e17 wrote:Whatever happens this season, bloke will retire as a player held in similar esteem to Collins, Potts and Galey
Is the correct answer.

Hope he contributes this season though, an asset when fit

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 pm

e17 wrote:Whatever happens this season, bloke will retire as a player held in similar esteem to Collins, Potts and Galey
Really? I wouldn’t have him in the same bracket as Pottsy or Galey. Sure Reid has had some great seasons, but up there with those two? Nah, not for me.

If I had a

Post by If I had a » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Why do you think we are holding off on buying another centre half (Maripan) ? There is every hope and reason to believe that our most experienced defender and one our leaders at the club still has something to offer. A long layoff is not a reason to believe that someone's career is over just yet and comparisons to Carroll are just lazy ... Winston is different and he may be a Kiwi (as am I) but he's one of ours :scarfer:

Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:38 pm

He will be gutted New Zealand lost today