West Ham say pay to have your say in club affairs

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

S-H

Re: West Ham say pay to have your say in club affairs

Post by S-H » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Pavilion Bar?

Danny's Dyer Acting

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:21 pm

nickyj82 wrote:Anytime. Maybe we can get rid of some of that obvious pent up aggression that you quite obviously harbour.
:lol:

It's football boys. Calm down.

nickyj82

Post by nickyj82 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:24 pm

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:
:lol:

It's football boys. Calm down.
It goes beyond when you get personal. He obviously has the problem, not me.

AMoCS

Post by AMoCS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Just for the record: WHUISA have said nothing on the issue of the £500 and nor would we. Since my (admittedly short) time on the committee we have maintained a policy of not criticising other groups.

Our only input in all of this is to offer the observation that Sanchoz's original piece is "interesting". Which it is.

nickyj82

Post by nickyj82 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 pm

AMoCS wrote:Just for the record: WHUISA have said nothing on the issue of the £500 and nor would we. Since my (admittedly short) time on the committee we have maintained a policy of not criticising other groups.

Our only input in all of this is to offer the observation that Sanchoz's original piece is "interesting". Which it is.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either you need to stop talking nonsense or you need a meeting to get onto the same page.

AMoCS

Post by AMoCS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:59 pm

That was nothing to do with Sanchoz's piece. Which I rather thought was the issue here?

nickyj82

Post by nickyj82 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:03 pm

AMoCS wrote:That was nothing to do with Sanchoz's piece. Which I rather thought was the issue here?
“However when people cannot see the wood for the trees and accept donations towards charitable causes as a way for Socios to try to ingratiate themselves and soften the edges (as per their strategy from PR firm Pretty Green), you begin to wonder if those who previously backed initial calls to say no to Socios are actually going to stay the course.”
That is a direct quote from the piece.
Cannot see the wood through the trees. Come on now!
I think it’s you who cannot see the trees through the wood. If you think that denying children in Africa the charitable donation of £500 when it’s quite clear that they need donations and are playing in dire conditions which quite clearly you do by the response to the tweet that suggested the the exwhuemployee turned it down , and think it is a worthy way to make a stance against a app that we don’t agree with, then try to use that stance as a pr stunt to garner support you really need to give your head a real wobble.
First world problem vs third world problem and you people think that FOOTBALL is more important.
I beg you, please take your blinkers off and open your eyes to the world around you, this socios problem of ours is microscopic in comparison

nickyj82

Post by nickyj82 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:20 pm

S-H wrote:Pavilion Bar?
Never heard of it

AMoCS

Post by AMoCS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:42 pm

Sanchoz is not on the WHUISA committee and doesn't speak for us. As I've said, we make it a policy not to criticise other independent groups and for what it's worth wouldn't have used those words.

Which doesn't mean it isn't "an interesting piece".

e17

Post by e17 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Personally I’ve no problem with them donating money to any charity

I do have a problem with their deal & involvement with my club.

The former, as positive & as great a gesture as it may be, is not related to my club.

Its odd to me how often with WHU very worthy charity causes seem to be dragged into the discussion and activity of anything that might be undesirable or called out by supporters.

nickyj82

Post by nickyj82 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:03 pm

AMoCS wrote:Sanchoz is not on the WHUISA committee and doesn't speak for us. As I've said, we make it a policy not to criticise other independent groups and for what it's worth wouldn't have used those words.

Which doesn't mean it isn't "an interesting piece".
Interesting piece or not, the linked tweet came directly from the whuisa account that agreed that the exwhuemployee turned down the donation as a stand against socios. Which was also implied in the article. Come on now pal, please don’t try the old politicians trick of swerving the issue. This is a gross misjudgment of character , and you should be apologising, not only for that train of thought, but for trying to drag us all into it as well by tagging us. If you want to raise money, raise money, do not try to make it a stance to garner support as I fundamentally disagree for denying charitable donations for charity for good causes because of personal opinion and/or agenda. You should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting that was a good idea. So should Sanchoz.

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:09 pm

I am a member of WHUISA, Hammers United and RWHFAG, I have been supportive and critical of all 3 groups. I do not watch any you tube channel, plenty do.

This thread on Socios was started 30th April on the biggest West Ham fan site by far. Well done KUMB and its members for bringing it to the widest West Ham audience possible and well done to those that followed with the story later. The more publicity against Socios the better as far as I'm concerned.

At least 15 West Ham related fan groups of various kind joined together on or around 19th June 2019 calling on the club to reconsider it's relationship with Socios.

I was one of the first posters on KUMB to question the motives behind the various charitable donations and I was also critical of the apparent support being given towards Socios as a result. I remain critical of those fan groups who criticised those who questioned the motives of Socios. I don't care if people think I am being petty or morally bankrupt or any other term they chose to use. As I said in an earlier post on this thread, I am prepared to be made to look bad in order to keep my stance consistent.

It is still my view that these charitably donations are not the wholly altruistic actions they may seem at first glance but rather an attempt to counteract the bad publicity surrounding their trading activities.

I support the article by Sanchoz, I would be a hypocrite if I did not because I have posted views on this thread which chime with much of the article.

Whether the article means the coalition of fans groups is being fractured, who knows. The majority appear to not have a problem with it and if they do, this thread / forum is here for them to speak for themselves although there is a fine line between portrayal of oneself as an aggrieved party and as the old adage goes - the lady doth protest too much.

IMO this latest round of squabbling is not doing any of us any favours apart from Socios and the Brady bunch.

AMoCS

Post by AMoCS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 pm

Our intention was not to criticise but to draw signatories of the banner together. We are not a charity and don't raise money but thought it might be something others wanted to do. I don't really understand why we're the object of any criticism here.

AMoCS

Post by AMoCS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:34 pm

Kialos wrote:.

IMO this latest round of squabbling is not doing any of us any favours apart from Socios and the Brady bunch.
Completely agree. If anybody has any further complaints could they please mail us at info@whuisa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with a full summary of their grievance and we promise we will deal with it.

Big George

Post by Big George » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:53 pm

I always find in these situations asking Kialos what to do and then doing it is very useful guide to correct behaviour.

Big George

Post by Big George » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:35 pm

Details released of West Ham’s crypto scheme with Socios. On Socios website but not West Ham’s which is odd.

https://www.socios.com/west-ham-united-fan-tokens/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the plan is to start small. This doesn’t seem to match the ambition. of Socios CEO. There’s been nothing on the WH website since the first announcement.

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:17 am

3,341,995,514 Chiliz (CHZ) floating about on the crypto currency exchange mechanisms (Chiliz being Socios.com's crypto currency you have to exchange fan tokens into from Big Georges post above) out of a total of 8,888,888,888 CHZ.

Currently valued at $0.011363 USD per CHZ

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/chiliz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Return on investment if you put money into CHZ at the time of launch, compared to today:

Chiliz ROI -64.49%

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:34 am

:thup: Nickyj82.

mushy

Post by mushy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:45 pm

nickyj82 wrote:
Interesting piece or not, the linked tweet came directly from the whuisa account that agreed that the exwhuemployee turned down the donation as a stand against socios. Which was also implied in the article. Come on now pal, please don’t try the old politicians trick of swerving the issue. This is a gross misjudgment of character , and you should be apologising, not only for that train of thought, but for trying to drag us all into it as well by tagging us. If you want to raise money, raise money, do not try to make it a stance to garner support as I fundamentally disagree for denying charitable donations for charity for good causes because of personal opinion and/or agenda. You should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting that was a good idea. So should Sanchoz.
By publically thanking Socios it legitimises them in the eyes of West Ham fans, makes them more desirable, and more likely therefore that fans will put hands in pockets.
That's my view on it anyway.
It's the oldest trick in the dodgy marketing book.

Let's face it if Socios were serious about atruistic donations then they could have quite easily have asked for it to be kept quiet

I also think that Ex has been put in an awkward position, he is damned if he takes it and damned if he don't.
It was the public thankyou that raised my left eyebrow.
My question would be, out of all the different charities available, why would Socios donate to one run by Ex? It's doubtful to me that anyone from Socuos has even heard of the guy.
It's like someone has been set up.
Or there could in fact be a legitimate reason.
Nicky, I would be glad of your thoughts on this please.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:14 pm

mushy wrote:I also think that Ex has been put in an awkward position, he is damned if he takes it and damned if he don't. It was the public thankyou that raised my left eyebrow.
FWIW I'd have taken the donation too in the circumstances. It doesn't necessarily mean one is or has to be supportive of the source.

The error/naivety was in announcing it - although it's quite possible that that was part of the deal.

As I mentioned before, Socios have also made a donation to the Isla Caton appeal so this is quite clearly a deliberate policy of theirs. It doesn't render their arrangement with West Ham any less scandalous.