The greatest English Footballer of all time (WHU related)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

The greatest English Footballer of all time (WHU related)

Post by Colours never run » Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Bobby Moore

Now this won't come as much of a shock to any Hammer or astute football supporter, but why I wanted to bring him up is although other Teams have been more successful than us, the one true proud claim we as Hammers can ever make is Bobby Moore was this Countries greatest ever Footballer, including the entire UK and Ireland. No one read the game better than him, no one was calmer than him under the most extreme circumstances (in some instances whilst also knowing he was battling cancer keeping it to himself - astonishing), no other Englishman had more presence than him, no one commanded more respect from the game.

And every so often I like to question other Clubs Fans who they think is the greatest player either Ireland or the UK produced and the realisation suddenly dawn's on them that it is indeed West Ham United's Bobby Moore. I like to think even those Hammers amongst us that are either Welsh, Scottish or Irish also feel just as proud about proclaiming this fact as much as any Englishman should too.

We ain't as successful as others but for me Bobby Moore represented so much that is good about us as a Club and for Country and he was ours, one of us. I feel we as Fans should never be shy of celebrating the fact he still is the greatest of all time from these shores.

People might say, well he never won the League and such like, however he did play a huge role in England winning the greatest honour of them all. And one quickly off back to back hat-trick wins of the FA Cup and only the 2nd British Club to ever win a European Cup at the time. He then of course went on to win the Beebs Personality of the Year to prove just how popular he was also as a person to go with his ability as a fine Footballer.

Does anyone else have similar debates with other Club Fans regarding who the greatest of them all was, or maybe you're a rival Fan who thinks he was anyway?

DasNutNock

Re: The greatest English Footballer of all time (WHU related)

Post by DasNutNock » Sun May 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Still the only man to captain England to international football’s top honour. I don’t think there’s ever really been anyone to compare with him, certainly not in terms of what he achieved for his country.

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer » Sun May 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Toss up (!) between Jimmy Greaves and Paul Gascoigne in their days. Both ran into problems but were definitely among the best.

e17

Post by e17 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Too young to see him play in the flesh. In my lifetime it would definitely be Gazza.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Sun May 19, 2019 6:09 pm

vietnammer wrote:Toss up (!) between Jimmy Greaves and Paul Gascoigne in their days. Both ran into problems but were definitely among the best.
Definitely among the best but neither the Greatest of them all, for me anyway and I rated both of them extremely highly too.

ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer » Sun May 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Tough one, Moore, Greaves, Charlton, Gazza and there's probably another bunch like Hoddle, Lineker Shearer etc... they all are up there it's a really hard one to call just like who is best player in the world you could name anyone of ten and still not cover it. :)

Colours never run

Post by Colours never run » Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Charlton is a great shout. Still our Bob for me though (just!).

And why I say that, is although we had a very good Team of that era, we still weren't quite as good as Man Utds Team during Charlton's time.
Last edited by Colours never run on Sun May 19, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claret&Blue,Thru&

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& » Sun May 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Manchester United fans like to ask whether Bobby Moore would have been in the World Cup team if Duncan Edwards hadn't been killed. I like to reply that England doesn't win world cups without three West Ham players in the team!

prophet:marginal
Location: Boleyn Ground, Westham United Football Club, Green St, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun May 19, 2019 7:06 pm

My personal favourite Bobby fact is that he lifted a cup at Wembley on three consecutive seasons, 64-66.

Here's a teaser for you lot:

Whereas WHUFC were represented in the CWCF by an all-English squad, from which country did 2 of 1860 Munich's country hail?

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Sun May 19, 2019 7:10 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Still the only man to captain England to international football’s top honour.
If you haven't done it on the biggest stage, you don't really have a claim.

Hence why your Maradonas will always best your Messis, in my view.

If I had a

Post by If I had a » Sun May 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Before my time but if we are talking UK then apart from Bobby I would include George Best. He won three major honours in club football at the age of just 22, the league title, European Cup, and European Player of the Year award in 1968.

Colours never run

Post by Colours never run » Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 pm

On pure natural ability and nothing else from the British Isles, it's Best.

But overall taking everything into account for me it's..

Moore
Charlton
Best

In that order.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Mon May 20, 2019 7:25 am

Bobby Charlton.

For what he done domestically as well as internationally. Also, players from other clubs and countries feared him, along with Greaves.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Mon May 20, 2019 7:48 am

You can add Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews to your list of apparently great British players you've barely seen play as well CNR :thup:

e17

Post by e17 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:58 am

fjthegrey wrote:You can add Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews to your list of apparently great British players you've barely seen play as well CNR :thup:
I vote for Fatty Foulke. Or Pele.

S-H

Post by S-H » Mon May 20, 2019 7:58 am

fjthegrey wrote: Tom Finney
The GOAT innit.

Colours never run

Post by Colours never run » Mon May 20, 2019 8:05 am

fjthegrey wrote:You can add Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews to your list of apparently great British players you've barely seen play as well CNR :thup:
Don't be a sarcastic **** all ya life.

Banksy also deserves an honourable mention. :thup:

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst » Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:Manchester United fans like to ask whether Bobby Moore would have been in the World Cup team if Duncan Edwards hadn't been killed. I like to reply that England doesn't win world cups without three West Ham players in the team!
Obviously Moore and Edwards would both have played
- Edwards would have replaced Jack Charlton, OR STILES :twisted:

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:08 pm

A man who sadly passed the other week, Billy McNeil.

Row X

Post by Row X » Mon May 20, 2019 1:09 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:
Here's a teaser for you lot:

Whereas WHUFC were represented in the CWCF by an all-English squad, from which country did 2 of 1860 Munich's country hail?
If I were to guess, East Germany.