The greatest English Footballer of all time (WHU related)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Re: The greatest English Footballer of all time (WHU related)

Post by the pink palermo » Mon May 20, 2019 10:06 pm

:thup:

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Mon May 20, 2019 10:07 pm

the pink palermo wrote:The reason I posed the question was to try and ascertain how much of Moores legend is based around his contribution for West Ham and how much is determined by winning the world cup for England as Captain.

Although I was lucky enough to see Bobby Moore play [ 3 times ] I was very young at the time , by the time I turned 18 he had joined Fulham and while I'm not saying you can't appreciate a player when you're 13/14 you do understand the game better when you're a bit older which is why I've said more than once that I put Billy Bonds before Bobby , a player never capped over the England World Cup Winning Captain as the Greatest Ever West Ham Player .

' Greatest English Footballer Of All Time ' is different [ in my opinion ] - Bobby Moore is the obvious choice followed by Bobby Charlton but I'd have Martin Peters up there or thereabouts .

Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck » Mon May 20, 2019 10:37 pm

I was fortunate enough to see Bobby Moore in the flesh many times (as well as Best, Charlton, Greaves, et al). As a footballer and as a man he was head and shoulders above them all, great though they were. I love Bonds, Brooking and the other West Ham greats too, but there really is no comparison. Moore was on a different planet, and the players who played with him, for West Ham or England, will tell you as much.

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole » Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 am

Can only go by who I saw in the flesh and that would be John Barnes, Hoddle and Gazza.

Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs » Tue May 21, 2019 12:46 am

Internationally, it might have been a dark period for the national team (although in days when it was harder to qualify for final tournaments), but, two-time Ballon d'Or winner, Kevin Keegan rose from playing in the 4th Division to captaining his country, winning the European Cup, UEFA Cup, 1st Division, FA Cup, Bundesliga as well as various personal player-of-the-year awards.
Unlike most of the other nominations, he played overseas in his prime and was a success (it's claimed he was the Bundesliga's first foreign superstar).
Plus he had a pretty good partnership with Sir Trevor Brooking. (If only he could have pulled on a claret and blue jersey).

Regarding Bobby Moore, who I never saw play: was it that Burnley forum that recently claimed Moore only got into the national team on favouritism, and that their club had two far better and more worthy centre-halves that were overlooked? (Two players I've never heard of).

Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs » Tue May 21, 2019 1:55 am

From the Burnley opposition view last November:
Woodleyclaret wrote:"Bobby Moore wasnt even the best in his position. He was just the prettiest. But playing for media darlings West Ham got you selected. Jimmy Adamson was a great player but overlooked for England caps. Joe Shaw who played for Sheff Utd was the best centre back of his generation and was also overlooked by England selectors."
Read more at http://kumb.com/story.php?id=133004#stLOIKzWmXrEWdtV.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NT Hammer

Post by NT Hammer » Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 am

Interesting subject & some great points made so far

I never saw Bobby in the flesh . All round package greatest England player then yes . He was captain of our only World Cup winners

How do you define greatest could it be greatest in there position they played

George Best & Gazza undoubtedly had such great skills. Different skills to Bobby Moore appropriate for their position

Let’s be thankful we had him a global icon associated with West Ham

DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock » Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 am

Bobby was a star performer at multiple World Cups, too. Gazza had two good tournaments, as did Lineker. There’s a few others you could put in that category - Beardsley, Ashley Cole possibly. Maybe Harry Kane in the future. I seriously can’t think of anyone other than Bobby who was as confidently dominant on the biggest stage.

steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:53 am

Johnny Haynes according to Bobby Moore

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Tue May 21, 2019 7:54 am

Saw Bobby,Best , Charlton, Currie etc, but really regret never seeing Robin Friday........my sort of player.

DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock » Tue May 21, 2019 8:07 am

Tenbury wrote:Saw Bobby,Best , Charlton, Currie etc, but really regret never seeing Robin Friday........my sort of player.
Fair point. If that story is true about Lawrenson, then yes - it’s a fair shout that Friday is England’s greatest ever footballer. Possibly its’ greatest man.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Tue May 21, 2019 9:38 am

Reflecting on the period 64-70 as a club that had three world cup winners as its base and a youth policy that would throw up Lampard senior, Redknapp and Brooking within the period is our greatest let down. We didn't replace Budgie Byrne and choose Ferguson over Gordon Banks in goal.

We may have had the best English player to ever pull on a pair of boots but jesus we have had managers/owners who were the polar opposite.

psychoscoredthelot

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Tue May 21, 2019 11:35 am

if Pele considers Moore as the greatest footballer he has played against then thats good enough for me.

hamstas_paradise

Post by hamstas_paradise » Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 am

Bobby Moore really was that good in my view. In an age where the pitches were heavy, the ball like a rock when wet and it was extremely physical, he had the class to be head and shoulders better than the rest. His style would have fitted in well with a City or Barcelona today. As good/effective as the likes of Lineker, Shearer, Gazza etc have been, they were not as good as Moore, Bobby Charlton, Alan Ball, Jimmy Greaves Gordon Banks or George Best.

Of today’s crop of players, Kane and Sterling have done really well, and are still young. If they can do it consistently for another 7 or 8 years they could conceivably be counted in the same bracket.

bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 pm

I think Greaves gets massively underrated. His ridiculous European club goal scoring record was only broken by Messi and Ronaldo last year. Had he played in 1966 but for injury I think he’d be viewed differently. I think I’m also correct that his goals per game ratio for England is miles ahead of anyone else. A very under appreciated player.

NT Hammer

Post by NT Hammer » Tue May 21, 2019 12:46 pm

bubbles500 wrote:I think Greaves gets massively underrated. His ridiculous European club goal scoring record was only broken by Messi and Ronaldo last year. Had he played in 1966 but for injury I think he’d be viewed differently. I think I’m also correct that his goals per game ratio for England is miles ahead of anyone else. A very under appreciated player.

Spot on nearly posted the same

He’d be a phenomenon today one of if not the best striker in the world.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:17 pm

bubbles500 wrote:I think Greaves gets massively underrated. His ridiculous European club goal scoring record was only broken by Messi and Ronaldo last year. Had he played in 1966 but for injury I think he’d be viewed differently. I think I’m also correct that his goals per game ratio for England is miles ahead of anyone else. A very under appreciated player.
Greaves goal to games ratio for England is misleading. He was a bit of a flat-track bully scoring freely against weaker opposition but disappearing against tougher opposition. When he came to us at the end of his career I was genuinely amazed at how skilled he was (bearing in mind he was really boozing heavily). Ironically his goalscoring prowess for Spurs masked how talented he actually was. If he'd have been born ten years later he would have played in a deeper role and been renowned as a goalscoring playmaker. However his style didn't fit with ramsey's ideas, and his injury in the tournament probably helped England win. I may sound like I'm contradicting myself but his real ability got overlooked because he was just regarded as a goal poacher

hxhammer

Post by hxhammer » Tue May 21, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm going to base answer on players i actually see play live on more than one occaision and for me, there was none better than Paul Scholes, absolute class. The England side should have built around him, yet they simply accomodated him.

prophet:marginal
Location: Marking Us With The Sight Of What We Might Have Known

Post by prophet:marginal » Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:
Here's a teaser for you lot:

Whereas WHUFC were represented in the CWCF by an all-English squad, from which country did 2 of 1860 Munich's country hail?
Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:Yugoslavia.
:thup:

bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Greaves goal to games ratio for England is misleading. He was a bit of a flat-track bully scoring freely against weaker opposition but disappearing against tougher opposition. When he came to us at the end of his career I was genuinely amazed at how skilled he was (bearing in mind he was really boozing heavily). Ironically his goalscoring prowess for Spurs masked how talented he actually was. If he'd have been born ten years later he would have played in a deeper role and been renowned as a goalscoring playmaker. However his style didn't fit with ramsey's ideas, and his injury in the tournament probably helped England win. I may sound like I'm contradicting myself but his real ability got overlooked because he was just regarded as a goal poacher[/quote]

Sorry mate but your post makes absolutely no sense at all. Greaves was the greatest British goal scorer of all time in club football. And probably would have been internationally but for injury and boozing. It may be your opinion that he was better in a deeper role, but that’s just your opinion. The facts are he was the best at what he did scoring goals.