Pellegrini's best signing so far

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

WebmasterFF

Re: Pellegrini's best signing so far

Post by WebmasterFF » Tue May 21, 2019 8:35 am

I must admit I thought this was going to be a pointless thread as I felt that Fabianski has been the best signing hands down, however reading the other posts I can't really disagree with anyone on their other options and reasons why :thup:

For me it has to be Fabianski. I was surprised we signed him as I didn't watch Swansea that season and didn't think he would be much of an upgrade on Adrian - how wrong I was. I have not felt more comfortable with a keeper dealing with crosses in years and I think that has had an effect on the defence as well. Some of the saves he has made this season have been stunning, the act he has one of the highest save rates in the league two years in a row is impressive.

Last season was a bit of clusterfuck between Hart and Adrian and I think we suffered by not having an established number 1 - there has not been any doubt as to who our number 1 is now.

Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike » Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 am

It's lovely to see 4 different names in the first 4 posts, and as Dan pointed out Yarmalenko had a significant impact before his injury.

I'll go for Anderson purely for the glove adjustment run he made, was it against Southampton at St Mary's?

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Tue May 21, 2019 9:42 am

I think it's between the three at the back.

Fabianski has probably kept us in/ahead in games more times than we can count this season. Without him we'd have been staring at the bottom 3, I think. The stats say it all - the xG against us this season was 65.66, and we only conceded 55. Only four sides had a higher xG against this season - the three relegated sides and Burnley.

Balbuena has been a really calm, assured presence at the back after settling in, and for the pittance we paid for him has to be considered a masterstroke. The Premier League website has him down as making no errors leading to goals this season, and I struggle to think of a time he was significantly out of position.

Diop's difference can be best summed up by the first four games. We were all over the place defensively against Liverpool and Bournemouth in the first two games, he comes in and against Arsenal and especially Wolves we look significantly better at the back. Had a bit of a rough break against Arsenal for their second, but came back stronger and only improved as he got used to the game.

The three of them playing 38 games together next season in the league might be the key to us getting up to the Top 8.

rudekid

Post by rudekid » Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 am

What no mention of Perez yet?!!!

Almost all of Pelle's signings have been top notch so far and have had some positive contribution.

Zabaleta is not mentioned yet but he has been great both as a right back and bringing the best out of Fredericks....

The other five go without saying - Fab, Diop, Rocky, Yarmolenko and Felipe (although I couldn't stand him when he started out).

Nasri gave us a decent bump when we needed it offensively and I'm glad Pelle has seen him as a short term need and got rid - Gives me a lot more faith in Pelle's management.

I'm hoping we see something out of Wilshere as well....

HammerAl

Post by HammerAl » Tue May 21, 2019 10:08 am

Best player: Fabianski
Best find: Balbuena
Best investment: Diop

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Tue May 21, 2019 10:11 am

That's the thing. Even the signings you could argue were poor:

Sanchez: unfortunate injury, can't really judge.

Perez: earned us valuable points against Cardiff and Leicester, should have won us the game against Leicester but for poor officiating. 4 points earned.

Nasri: the assists for winners against Arsenal and Huddersfield and arguably the catalyst for the Huddersfield comeback. 5 points earned.

His worse 2 signings still earned us 9 points. Could've been more.

Nick Sneddon

Post by Nick Sneddon » Tue May 21, 2019 10:14 am

DasNutNock wrote:The General. I can see him having an absolutely dominant season next term now he’s established himself. He makes Diop better, he makes us better.
I sincerely believe they will be one of the best centre back pairings in the league next season

Liam

Post by Liam » Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 am

Got to be happy that the key signings bedded in so well this season. If they all continue to improve into their second seasons in the prem we should be looking forward to next season.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am

I guess the thought experiment really is if we were playing a cup final, which of the four being discussed would make you most concerned to be starting without. To me that would be Fabianski or Anderson.

swash

Post by swash » Tue May 21, 2019 10:41 am

Fab for me, because of his consistency. Anderson could well be the pick long term, but didn't do it week in week out, Diop and the General both very good, but still room for improvement.

psychoscoredthelot

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Tue May 21, 2019 1:01 pm

i am happy that it is so hard to pick from them

Diop, Balbuena, Fab have slighlty edged anderson for me

hxhammer

Post by hxhammer » Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Fabianski for me, simply for the fact i didn't want him and was p&ssed off we signed him. How wrong he proved me

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole » Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Anderson is our best player full stop.

Plus he looks like John Rambo (First Blood version).

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Tue May 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Our summer transfers last year were utterly superb.

Diop is the star signing for me, just pipping Anderson. The guy is an absolute beast who has it all - tackling, leadership, presence, power. He has the potential to go to the very top but is already an excellent player. He did have a dip in form around Feb/Mar, but he's still very young.

Anderson has also been a brilliant signing, a match-winner with the ability to excite and thrill. We paid big money for him, but I think he'd be worth a bit more now.

Fab (3rd) and Balbuena (4th) also excellent signings.

Still hopeful Wilshere will come good and Fredericks has shown flourishes of form and ability.

Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B » Tue May 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Balbuena

Didn't think we really needed him, thought it was a weird signing. No English not even played in Europe - a fee that made him lkook like he would be a squad player.

Absolute beast of a player for me, he makes Rio look flustered and Collins look half hearted.

TeddyThePug

Post by TeddyThePug » Tue May 21, 2019 2:29 pm

I'd say his best signings would be his scouts, or that Husillos bloke. Whoever found our best players in the summer basically :)

OooohChristianDailly

Post by OooohChristianDailly » Tue May 21, 2019 2:44 pm

HammerAl wrote:Best player: Fabianski
Spot on - only thing I would add is Anderson is the only match winner out of all of our signings. I know Yarmolenko won us the Everton game but generally thought he was crap that game aside.

OooohChristianDailly

Post by OooohChristianDailly » Tue May 21, 2019 2:45 pm

HammerAl wrote:Best player: Fabianski
Spot on - only thing I would add is Anderson is the only match winner out of all of our signings. I know Yarmolenko won us the Everton game but generally thought he was crap that game aside.

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Tue May 21, 2019 2:52 pm

I’d feel bad for Sanchez and Wilshere to have a go at them, as injury crocked them. Equally, Nasri who laid on Rice’s goal against Arsenal. The spread of signings made can look to various parts of the season and be very proud. I think there is a genuine debate to be had about all the players purchased, and who is the signing of the season.

Personally, I’d still go with Fab. Amazingly, the actual expenditure of money on a keeper has proved a master stroke. I’m not sure we’ve spent more than £5 Million on keepers since Ludo,and now we have, we have a superstar,

reo_coker20
One line wonder

Post by reo_coker20 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:57 pm

rudekid wrote:What no mention of Perez yet?!!!

Almost all of Pelle's signings have been top notch so far and have had some positive contribution.

Zabaleta is not mentioned yet but he has been great both as a right back and bringing the best out of Fredericks....

The other five go without saying - Fab, Diop, Rocky, Yarmolenko and Felipe (although I couldn't stand him when he started out).

Nasri gave us a decent bump when we needed it offensively and I'm glad Pelle has seen him as a short term need and got rid - Gives me a lot more faith in Pelle's management.

I'm hoping we see something out of Wilshere as well....

Zaba was Slavs signing

For me our best signing is the general for the value we paid, when we lost him to injury the back 4 looked a bit shaky and since he’s came back the defence looks a lot more solid. Plus he’s goal line clearance against spurs