Non WHU Sheikh bin Zayed Al Nehayan:

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

hammerman11

Re: Non WHU Sheikh bin Zayed Al Nehayan:

Post by hammerman11 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:05 am

perhaps we could sell them Hernandez for an inflated price !

we have a good squad which just needs another 5-6 players of quality which gsb could do if they wanted to .

I reckon another 80-90m spend would do the trick and make us very competitive for top 8 or above.

sales should get us 40-50m so another 40m would do it. surely a net spend of 40m is doable for a club our size ?

big wages are going off the books with carroll nasri Adrian going and hopefully followed by Hernandez and perez. we have the financial space under FFP to do this and give us a chance to compete !

will they invest in the team again is the question. personally a 40m net spend is a minimum investment that is needed

wolverine

Post by wolverine » Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 am

the toon fans are in for a shock if indeed that this takeover goes through,

rules were put in place a few years ago to stop wealthy owners buying clubs and trying to break up the current "top 6" by splashing out billions on players etc

and the majority of the prem league chairman all voted for it...….

Prob

Post by Prob » Fri May 31, 2019 9:57 am

Man U will fine once they sack Ed Woodward who is mismangering them. It is Arsenal that need to worry with all these new big spending clubs coming up.

wildkard

Post by wildkard » Fri May 31, 2019 9:59 am

No bid, no proof of funds. Sounds like another load of old b*llocks.

S-H

Post by S-H » Fri May 31, 2019 10:03 am

Prob wrote:Man U will fine once they sack Ed Woodward who is mismangering them. It is Arsenal that need to worry with all these new big spending clubs coming up.
They won't sack Woodward, he makes them bundles of cash, they just need to keep him away from player recruitment, although I'm more than satisfied with the job he is doing on that front. :wink:

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 am

wildkard wrote:No bid, no proof of funds. Sounds like another load of old b*llocks.
You mean to say Mike Ashley made up a takeover bid to - say - sell season tickets?

Say it isn't so! He's done this every bloody year for the past however long.

wildkard

Post by wildkard » Fri May 31, 2019 12:51 pm

But he's a great owner. He's ploughed in £300m of his own money.

Which he wants back when he sells the club, effectively doubling the money a new owner would need to lay out.

bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Hearing all sorts now. Biggest premier league budget. Odds slashed on signing Mbappe. Im hoping it's all horlicks

goa127

Post by goa127 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 pm

now they're saying, if it goes through they'll bin rafa! Not convinced that this isn't all bulls**t

Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:39 am

wolverine wrote:the toon fans are in for a shock if indeed that this takeover goes through,

rules were put in place a few years ago to stop wealthy owners buying clubs and trying to break up the current "top 6" by splashing out billions on players etc

and the majority of the prem league chairman all voted for it...….
Have these rules been properly tested yet though?
I mean many major CL clubs have broken FFP and/or recruitment regulations with little significant punishment (Man City, Barcelona, Chelsea, Liverpool, Paris S-G, I think, ....).
Leicester broke Football League regulations, got promoted and soon won the Premier League with no repurcussions.

What would happen if a new owner did spend billions on a super-squad and won the PL?
A token fine? A futile transfer ban? Would they really be disqualified from UEFA tournaments the following season - potentially the best team and the best players (imagine if they bought Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, Pogba et al, could you see UEFA banning their biggest stars from their showcase competition?).

And even if there was a punishment of some sort, wouldn't it be worth the long-term rewards?
So they break rules, get a punishment, and emerge as legitimate title candidates the next season?
It seems a quicker and more effective model for success than incrementally increasing spending in line with PL rules over the next ten seasons or so.

HoustonHammer24

Post by HoustonHammer24 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:43 am

The rich always seem to find ways around these types of regulations; injecting cash via subsidiary companies, “sponsorships”, etc. I don’t think the regulations are stringent enough to deter billionaires from taking over certain teams and doing whatever they want, at least not yet.

The main reason I would want new owners is to invest in the non-personnel side. We need a huge influx of cash to update our training facilities, scouting department, partnerships, etc. This will make us a more attractive proposition for senior squad players, youth players, managers, coaches, investors, etc.

Pellegrini has started that process with what little budget he has; upgrading the training facilities (albeit slightly), moving the youth team over to train with the first team, upgraded scouting, etc. These are things he learned at professionally-run clubs like City and Madrid and I believe the main reason he was brought in was to instill more professionalism in this club from the ground up. Let’s hope there is more to come...

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:Hearing all sorts now. Biggest premier league budget. Odds slashed on signing Mbappe. Im hoping it's all horlicks
If Newcastle sign Mbappe this summer I will give £50 to the Bobby Moore fund every season until we win a trophy.

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:32 pm

thejackhammer wrote: If Newcastle sign Mbappe this summer I will give £50 to the Bobby Moore fund every season until we win a trophy.
Will you write this into your will? :lol:

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:35 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:
Will you write this into your will? ::
Not even 30 but I'll probably have to :lol:

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Q&A the newspaper up in Newcastle did on the take over:

New Bin Zayed Group claims and Benitez's future: Newcastle United Q & A full transcript
Newcastle United’s future remains clouded in uncertainty with takeover talk and Rafa Benitez’s future still unresolved.

The Bin Zayed Group are adamant that they are close to clinching a deal for the club but Newcastle sources are not so sure. And while Rafa Benitez only has 29 days left on his contract, it’s still not clear when that situation witll be resolved – and how. Against the backdrop we held one of our regular NUFC Q & As.

Here is the full transcript of our Sunday evening session .

Chris Armin asks: Do you expect with the rate the British media are again questioning their credentials. BZG will make another official statement or even provide proof of deal?

Judging by the noises I’m getting from the BZG camp I’d be surprised if that’s the case. They’ve steered clear of going into any details of the deal so far - perhaps because of an NDA, perhaps, the cynics might say, because there isn’t much substance to it - so I don’t think there’s much more for them to add now.

They say it’ll be two weeks before “Premier League processes” are complete and are urging people to wait and they’ve stuck to that since Wednesday. It would take something really significant to happen now for them to release another statement. Personally, I think the next word in this saga will come from NUFC. But what that will be, I don’t know.

Southern Magpie asks: Why do you think there is so much confusion around at the moment? Different journalists have different stories and ideas and it’s hugely frustrating for fans. What needs to be done to rectify the situation?

The confusion comes because the statements BZG are releasing are contradicted by what people we’ve known for a long time and trust think about their veracity. I think all of us are sceptical after what has happened in the last two years and if this takeover does happen, it’s an especially unorthodox way of doing it. But that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

I reckon things will go quieter this week and the situation will settle down somewhat. But I can only speak for myself in saying I’ve made a heck of a lot of calls and while I’ve picked up snippets of information I can verify, there’s been an awful lot of contradiction and counter claim. I think it’s fair to say that all of us on the North East patch are highly cautious - although I personally am treating it as a credible attempt to buy the club.

It’s been hugely frustrating and with the Premier League and NUFC both saying ‘no comment’ I’m not sure it’ll change for a while. Don’t discount the possibility someone else - another group - might blindside us all and get the deal done before BZG or anyone else.

Does Ashley really want to sell?

While there may be confusion around process one thing I’m hearing time and time again is that the owner seems more motivated to sell the club than he did. This is likely because of his other business interests, I’ve been told.

It represents a shift in opinion from January, when the failure of the Peter Kenyon bid convinced some within the club that Ashley would take the club off the market. This will be the eighth time we’ve been told a sale could be close. All I’ll say is I believe it when I see it.

Is there any chance this gets done before Rafa Benitez’s contract is up?

I really don’t think so. We’ve got 29 days for that to be sorted and the BZG are saying it’ll be 10-15 days as a minimum until ‘Premier League processes’ are complete. It’s a very tight timeframe to get things done in time to make a difference to Rafa’s situation - and our information so far is there has been no contact from this group with Benitez so far.

So I think the priority has to be getting the contract done first before the takeover plays out.

So what is going on with Rafa Benitez?

Sunday morning’s story sums it up. Benitez hasn’t got much give and take on the terms that he was offered by Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley at the initial meeting - the transfer budget is what we reported at the time of the accounts, a £61million transfer fund supplemented by sales and a very good yearly wage of around £6million. Talks have been pretty much ended now and it’s up to Benitez to make his decision.

The uncertainty around takeover hasn’t helped but Benitez has to decide on a number of options in terms of contract length. It was reported this week that a one-year extension was a possible way of ending the impasse but my understanding is the board are looking for a longer option.

I still think it’s got a few more days to play out, but as Lee Ryder reported on Sunday: we’re finally reaching crunch time.

Is Rafa Benitez talking about potential targets - even if his contract isn’t sorted?

That’s my understanding. Benitez is nothing if not professional so you can be sure he’s doing his level best for Newcastle right up until June 30, when his contract runs out. He’s held talks already and as we reported last week, he’s even spoken to one striker target.

It’s probably a good sign that he’s doing that - and I do think, on the balance of probabilities, that he will probably end up staying at NUFC - but maybe reserving the right to leave during the season if United don’t keep certain promises.

On the balance of probabilities, do you think NUFC will be taken over?

Let’s put it this way, I’m cautious. I know talks have taken place and there’s been a head of terms submitted. But when it comes to actually getting into the meaty part of the transaction - the Sales Purchase Agreement and the Owner and Directors Test - I’m not sure we’re there yet, whatever BZG say.

We’ll have to wait and see but I will say that BZG tell me they’re absolutely sure it’s going to happen.

Is there any chance of signing Salomon Rondon?

It’s not over but we need all the uncertainty to be resolved first. Rondon’s agent has had conversations with Wolves and West Ham but Newcastle also wanted to be kept informed of updates.

He’s in no hurry to make a move and having seen his contract clause triggered by West Brom to keep him at the Hawthorns for another year, Newcastle remains an option. If it becomes a bidding war, I don’t know whether Newcastle in their current form are going to find it difficult to compete with Wolves.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... s-16369177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:59 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:
Will you write this into your will? ::
thejackhammer wrote:[
Not even 30 but I'll probably have to :lol:
You'll probably live to be 100! - by which time I'm confident that
- they'll have found a cure for cancer.. :)

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:08 pm

sanchoz wrote:This will be the eighth time we’ve been told a sale could be close. All I’ll say is I believe it when I see it.
Seems to be the most salient point in that interview.

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Seems to be the most salient point in that interview.
Like I said, happens every year, like clockwork - it's like when we get 'linked' with a player in the month(s) before season ticket renewal and then it surprisingly doesn't happen.

They've been told the club is nearing being sold 8 times in the 12 years Ashley has been there. Says it all.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Liverpool sources seem to think they're timewasters based on what happened with them, although given the discrepancy in price tag (circa £1.2bn vs £350m) I suppose it doesn't necessarily follow that having done a bit of tyre kicking on a Ferrari you won't pony up on the more keenly-priced family wagon.