UEFA Nations League

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

GALF

UEFA Nations League

Post by GALF » Fri May 31, 2019 8:26 pm

I’m wondering how many other KUMB members are making the trip over to Portugal next week to cheer on the boys?

If so where have you decided to base yourself and where are you planning on plotting up to take advantage of some light refreshments? I have not been Porto myself before so interested to know where it’s likely that we will set up shop.

Looking forward to my first England away trip getting over there Wednesday evening and out there until it’s over.

Those not travelling do you have any real interest, does the potential to “win” something mean anything or is it just another set of glorified friendlies?

Danny's Dyer Acting

Re: UEFA Nations League

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 pm

First "It's coming home" of the thread :scarfer:

prophet:marginal
Location: Boleyn Ground, Westham United Football Club, Green St, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ

Post by prophet:marginal » Fri May 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Truth told, GALF, I reckon I am more interested in the England set up presently, than for any time over the last 30 years. Italia 90 was the true benchmark, of England, for me, anyway. I think Southgate has properly bided his time to become a decent international coach and that we have a fair crop of high class players (need some work on 'keeper and defence).

This new 'league' is a bit of a money-spinner, of course, but, if we lift up a bit of silverware, who's moaning?

Porto is going to be baking this time of year, Shirley

Westcliffspur

Post by Westcliffspur » Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 pm

I believe England will win this. It will be such a boost going in the European Championship if our lads can bring this home.

S-H

Post by S-H » Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 pm

Can't bloody wait!!

It's coming home!!!

HarlowEssexHammer

Post by HarlowEssexHammer » Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 pm

GALF wrote:I’m wondering how many other KUMB members are making the trip over to Portugal next week to cheer on the boys?
Flying out on Wednesday night, can’t wait!

DH Hammer

Post by DH Hammer » Fri May 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Flying out Wednesday aswell. Quite a few West Ham going by the sound of it :thup:

Ironsn3lions

Post by Ironsn3lions » Fri May 31, 2019 11:11 pm

Going Tues- Mon ,we are staying in Porto , 4 out of the 16 are West Ham ( all KUMB readers) looks set to be a cracking trip and not been back to Portugal since Euro 2004.....Bring it on :)

James P

Post by James P » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am

Flying out Monday night. Back Friday.

Staying in Porto and gonna get the free train to Guimaraes on the day. Would be up for watching Wednesday’s game with some Kumbers if anyone knows of a decent bar in Porto.

HarlowEssexHammer

Post by HarlowEssexHammer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 am

James P wrote:Would be up for watching Wednesday’s game with some Kumbers if anyone knows of a decent bar in Porto.
I think there’s still tickets available through UEFA for Portugal v Switzerland, only €30 too. Even better than the bar!

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:48 am

GALF wrote:I’m wondering how many other KUMB members are making the trip over to Portugal next week to cheer on the boys?

If so where have you decided to base yourself and where are you planning on plotting up to take advantage of some light refreshments? I have not been Porto myself before so interested to know where it’s likely that we will set up shop.

Looking forward to my first England away trip getting over there Wednesday evening and out there until it’s over.

Those not travelling do you have any real interest, does the potential to “win” something mean anything or is it just another set of glorified friendlies?
Glorified friendly as a money grab for UEFA.

I just can't identify with England any more, especially when its full of Spurs.

GALF

Post by GALF » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:46 pm

James P wrote:Flying out Monday night. Back Friday.

Staying in Porto and gonna get the free train to Guimaraes on the day. Would be up for watching Wednesday’s game with some Kumbers if anyone knows of a decent bar in Porto.
We touch down c.6pm on the Wednesday so I’m hoping a bag drop and pub job should get us somewhere with a pint for kick off. Suspect we’ll head straight to the Irish bar near the river. Pretty much know what you get with any Irish bar. Hopefully then we’ll get a taste for where people are boozing. Either that or just keep tabs on Twitter over the Tues/Weds.

James P

Post by James P » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:13 pm

We were gonna head to the James Ryan Irish bar this evening to scout it out but it seems to the moron meeting point. Could hear the anti-IRA & ten German bomber songs from three streets away.

Will probably watch tomorrow night in the Fan Zone in front of the town hall.

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Post by dodger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 pm

prophet:marginal wrote: Porto is going to be baking this time of year, Shirley
Not at all. Likely to be in the teens most of this week.

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Post by dodger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:41 pm

GaryP wrote:

Ok I’ll bite.

First, how is there anything wrong with this tournament? It replaces the completely pointless and generally boring friendlies we used to have with games which actually have meaning. Also, the tournament has been very enjoyable so far with some great matches and late drama.

Second, you can’t identify with England because there’s a few Spurs players in there? There’s also a West Ham player in there in case you haven’t noticed, and however hard it is for us to accept Spurs do have some of the best English players in the country at the moment.

This is an exciting, young England side who play excellent football, have a very adept and likable manager, and could actually win something. If you can’t get behind this England team there probably will never be one in the future that will fit your ‘preferred’ England.

r99c

Post by r99c » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:46 pm

Weather update - unfortunately it was baking last week, but being northern Portugal it fluctuates and now it's back down to the same temperatures as we're getting here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2735943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The whole of southern Europe seems below average at the mo. Even Madrid, inland, which was 33°C on Saturday is now 23°C or so.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 pm

dodger wrote: Ok I’ll bite.

First, how is there anything wrong with this tournament? It replaces the completely pointless and generally boring friendlies we used to have with games which actually have meaning. Also, the tournament has been very enjoyable so far with some great matches and late drama.

Second, you can’t identify with England because there’s a few Spurs players in there? There’s also a West Ham player in there in case you haven’t noticed, and however hard it is for us to accept Spurs do have some of the best English players in the country at the moment.

This is an exciting, young England side who play excellent football, have a very adept and likable manager, and could actually win something. If you can’t get behind this England team there probably will never be one in the future that will fit your ‘preferred’ England.
Honestly Dodger, there is no point replying.

I don't know why people come on a thread all about a tournament England are playing in, just to slag it all off.

As you rightly say, if you can't be excited to be an England fan right now, I don't know when you will ever be

Ludeksgloves

Post by Ludeksgloves » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:57 pm

GaryP wrote:

While I respect your viewpoint, and to a certain extent understand, for me personally it is different. For me, as soon as they pull on the Three Lions shirt they are England players. Not Liverpool, Spurs or Man U. I think many people have come around to this way of thinking under Southgate. He has really created a fantastic spirit in and around the team, and I’m quite excited about the prospect of England finally stepping up internationally.

HarlowEssexHammer

Post by HarlowEssexHammer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:53 am

GALF wrote:Those not travelling do you have any real interest, does the potential to “win” something mean anything or is it just another set of glorified friendlies?
GaryP wrote:Glorified friendly as a money grab for UEFA.

To be fair to Gary P, GALF did ask the question, he didn't just slag the competition off out of nowhere.

GALF, if it's your first England away trip you will love it , Dad's been doing them for decades and I was never interested, but got hooked after doing Berlin in 2016. As for the Nations League it's one of the modern games better ideas, the last ten minutes of the Croatia home game when both teams had to score as a draw was useless to both was fantastic to watch, better than any friendly.

Personally I get over the Tottenham players in the team as long as they're doing the business in an England shirt; if we're winning and Kane is scoring that's fine with me. I'll just call him a **** next season when he has a cock on his shirt again!

hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Post by hadleighhammer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:58 am

James P wrote:Could hear the anti-IRA & ten German bomber songs from three streets away.
Sums up why I'll never bother traveling with England even when some mates do. Too many morons.

At least the players don't seem like total tossers for the first time in years. At least have some pride in them now.