Just how big could West Ham be?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

BondsoBob

Just how big could West Ham be?

Post by BondsoBob » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:29 pm

I'm only musing, but I have often wondered just how big this club could be with the right people running things.
We all know we have the fan base to match most. And that's with not winning anything in 40 years. I have always thought that we could certainly match the other London clubs. Although maybe Man City, Liverpool and Man United are too far out of range. As I said I'm only musing. What do you think?

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: Just how big could West Ham be?

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:30 pm

We were once the biggest club in London. All it takes is a little ambition.

And about a billion quid...

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Up the Junction wrote:We were once the biggest club in London. All it takes is a little ambition.

And about a billion quid...
Yes indeed, around the mid 60's we were probably top dogs in the capital.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:37 pm

That's the era I was thinking of, Bob. Can it be done again?

I don't see why not with the right investment and a Board willing to take us there.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Up the Junction wrote:That's the era I was thinking of, Bob. Can it be done again?

I don't see why not with the right investment and a Board willing to take us there.
So we've got no chance then

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Mega Ron wrote:So we've got no chance then
I'd say it's fairly unlikely with the current mob, Ron...

prophet:marginal
Location: Marking Us With The Sight Of What We Might Have Known

Post by prophet:marginal » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:45 pm

Size of club is size of world audience.

West Ham United has enclave following, in certain parts of the world, but we're like a straw in the wind in comparison with the people, from Australia westwards, who follow the likes of Man United and Liverpool. The latter, of course, having played their biggest ever match (>110,000 punters) in some kind of competition laid on for the convicts.

I don't think that kind of expansion is replicable, personally, even in trophy-hoover MCFC, Chelsea or any other London club.

The streams of revenue flowing into the Manchester and Liverpool make them impregnably big, imho.

We could, with equal lashings of luck and investment crack top, as 4th, once, maybe, but don't have the squad to even look at domestic cups with greedy eyes (at board level), still less regular CL participation.

hammers92

Post by hammers92 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:15 pm

The one thing that grates me is our hospitality offering. We're next to Canary Wharf and most would prefer to take their clients and business elsewhere.

It's a fundamental part of growing your income but we seem incapable behind the scenes to provide them with a reason to look closer to home.

Danny's Dyer Acting

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Given time and owners with the right plan, there's no reason we can't mimic what Spurs have done over the last 20 years since ENIC & Joe Lewis bought into them.

The owners would be afforded the time if it became clear there was a plan.

The owners don't have a plan.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Got the attendance - we were 3rd behind Manchester United and Arsenal , so that's ok .

All we need is an owner like Man City's or Chelsea then we could be BIG .

It can be done with good management , coaching and scouting but it's usually money that gets the best players .

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:43 pm

About 5ft 3.

bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:56 pm

Yes indeed, around the mid 60's we were probably top dogs in the capital.[/quote]

Seriously where do you get that idea from ? We won 1 FA cup and cup winners but were a bottom half team. Spurs won the double European titles FA cups, Arsenal and Chelsea were both top half teams. We’ve never been bigger than Spurs or Arsenal. I think we’ve got 3 top 5 finishes in our entire history. However as a fan base we could easily be as big as the other London clubs with right investment. But we better get a shift on as Leeds are about to be bought by PSG owner. PL very soon will be a serious billionaires club and GSB don’t measure up.

bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:07 pm

Just checked it out average attendances in the 60s were approx:

Spurs 40k
Arsenal 35k
Chelsea 30k
West Ham 25k

romfordneil

Post by romfordneil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:23 pm

bubbles500 wrote:Just checked it out average attendances in the 60s were approx:

Spurs 40k
Arsenal 35k
Chelsea 30k
West Ham 25k
Thanks for your research bubbles500. Got over your Champions league final defeat yet?

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:29 pm

bubbles500 wrote:We won 1 FA cup and cup winners but were a bottom half team.
Not sure if you're aware of this, but we won the World Cup too.

Liverpool have never won the Premier League. Are Leicester a bigger club?

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 pm

With my claret and blue tinted contact lenses in I think it’s a little frightening. And wasn’t it David Dein who said that too.

Even with pretty little to celebrate in the last 40 years we take big numbers away consistently. We get big crowds at home. The playoff final v Blackpool had the ticketing been arranged correctly we would have nigh on filled it on our own. We took 6000 to City on a Monday night with around 5 days to arrange it for the 2006 quarter final.

Now imagine that plus a modicum or success. Add to that the aforementioned imaginary billion quid, top notch players and City style levels of personnel and trophies.

Until the Tevez thing. We seemed to be a club everyone had admiration for, dare I say everyone’s ‘second team’. We accumulate a lot of press coverage. We have support in high places.

Success would bring back a lot of lapsed fans, obviously attract the bandwagon jumping Sky generations. The foreign support.

We could be massive. And it’s a mystery why no rich benefactor has ever acquired or been allowed to acquire us.

I’ve said it for years. I’ll probably be saying it for many more to come

bubbles1966
Location: Mama don't like it, way I comb my hair, Papa thinks I'm crazy, clothes I wear....

Post by bubbles1966 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:06 pm

At least as big as Chelsea and Manchester City.

All it takes is a big, concentrated investment in the playing squad.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:31 pm

As much as people try to pretend differently and talk about ‘sensible’ transfer strategy - it’s simply about money to climb into the top six on a regular basis. And we don’t spend enough, consistently enough to push on into an ‘elite’ league position.

The Leicester one-off proved that point. as did Chelsea, Spurs, and Man City escalating into their current level off the best part of a decade investing more than everyone else (even ‘didn’t spend anything last summer’ Spurs got into the top six by spending more than everyone bar Chelsea from 99-2009)

Where we are now is probably as big as we get (relatively) under these owners. We’re about to see the next wave of clubs brought by serious money - even if only half of Wolves, Villa, Newcastle and Leeds have the success of the spending sprees that Chelsea, Spurs and Man City did then we have a glass ceiling of ninth.

I also wonder about the long term impact of the likes of Sky, EA sports, BBC MOTD all glorifying the big six/eight/whatever. Couple of my friends were actually my teachers when I was younger and they talk about how half the kids in the classes they teach nowadays are Liverpool, Man Utd or Man City fans - despite no family members supporting those clubs or being from the region of the clubs they support. I’m sure most people had the odd Man Utd or Liverpool mid in their class at school but there definitely seems to be some shift going on.

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 pm

I remember being told the chant ‘stand up if you hate x.’ Started in the 60s about West Ham and there was a bit of negativity from other clubs towards West Ham’s World Cup players before the final. Bit before my time so no idea if it was true or not.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:13 pm

hammer1975 wrote:Couple of my friends were actually my teachers when I was younger and they talk about how half the kids in the classes they teach nowadays are Liverpool, Man Utd or Man City fans - despite no family members supporting those clubs or being from the region of the clubs they support.
That sounds like my junior school, 40 years ago. Except it was Liverpool or Forest then.