VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

WeallwantMoore

VAR - yes or no ?

Post by WeallwantMoore » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Personally I hate it....so NO

fjthegrey

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by fjthegrey » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:49 pm

NO.

It exists because adults can't accept that occasionally a game is unfair.

Middlesbrough Hammer

Post by Middlesbrough Hammer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Yes - too many high profile decisions are made incorrectly. Other sports use the technology available, so why not football? I appreciate there will be a bedding in period whilst everyone gets used to the technology, but I think it's worth it if the correct decisions are made.
Last edited by Middlesbrough Hammer on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S-H

Post by S-H » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:50 pm

From everything I've seen to date, it has to be no.

No reason why it can't be successful moving forward, with a few tweaks, but I won't hold my breath.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Absolutely. Will be a great asset to teams outside the 'top six'.

They should begin to start emulating cricket though, in the sense that they should show the replays inside the stadium. The current process doesn't work as it's too slow and the game loses momentum.

For example - last night everyone knew England's second "goal" was offside long before the decision came through. That shouldn't happen.

MafiaLeader

Post by MafiaLeader » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm

We need a system like in tennis, whereby each team has a finite amount of times they can use it. Kills the momentum in games otherwise

Row X

Post by Row X » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:57 pm

It has to be used right.

Last night my major gripe with it was that we don't get to hear the officals make the decisions. In Cricket and Rugby, you hear the conversations taking place and accept it far easier.

Football being football love to make sure we don't hear what the officals are communicating to the players and each other.

Let us hear why they are making the decisions, then a far greater amount of people will accept them.

When I used to play sunday morning football, the best ref in our league was an ex-player who came into the dressing room, introduced himself to the team and explained that he is human and will make bad decisions like we will make bad passes etc. Then on the pitch he would tell you why he made a decision and everyone just accepted it.

If we can hear why they are making the decisions there will be far less outcry.

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:57 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Absolutely. Will be a great asset to teams outside the 'top six'.

They should begin to start emulating cricket though, in the sense that they should show the replays inside the stadium. The current process doesn't work as it's too slow and the game loses momentum.

For example - last night everyone knew England's second "goal" was offside long before the decision came through. That shouldn't happen.
I'd suggest a change to the rules where a ref officially calls for a VAR review/is told by someone watching the replays that there is something to look at then the clock stops.

I would also suggest booking's for players not the captains approaching the ref who is trying to listen or communicate with the VAR officials and they are coming up to him to complain about all sorts of things. Give him the space and time to communicate with his officials and then let him make the decision.

Hammerted

Post by Hammerted » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:59 pm

It's a Yes from me.

Rugby League has benefited from video replays for many years.

k-r-c

Post by k-r-c » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Yes, We would have gone 2-1 up last night and the goal was offside.

The correct decision was got to using VAR.

Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Personally, I've always enjoyed the role of a ref and linesman in a game, so I've always been a 'no'. But then the last few years have become so tedious with decisions seemingly overshadowing every single game, that I see no choice but to go with it.

I do feel it could be a catastrophic mistake though and might remove the 'spontaneous joy'. Which is one of the few positive elements left in football in my opinion.

MD_HM

Post by MD_HM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:13 pm

From what I've seen so far, it's a No

Thought it was going to be used for controversial decisions not if a player's big toe is offside.

Good for sending offs, penalties where the game is stopped anyway but kills the momentum and atmosphere

I imagine the offside rule will be changed instead at some point in the near future

Eastbourne Hammer

Post by Eastbourne Hammer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 pm

It's a strange one, it has to be yes from me given all of the tech available. I can only see it being honed over the first few years until it reaches a similar level to pre-Premier League/Premier League style division.

Despite that, I think it will spoil the game for those watching the match in the stadium. Will people celebrate as much with the visceral thrill of a goal being given taken away from them? Probably not.

It'll also mark a clear dividing line between those leagues using it and those not, at what level do we apply it FA Cup games as it becomes more and more prevalent?

It'll mark the death of the game as we knew it before, much the same as all seater stadia did. The game will adapt, adopt, survive much as it always has, but it'll become even more removed from the football we used to know.

OrrMakesItThree

Post by OrrMakesItThree » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:26 pm

It's a 'No' from me......................until we actually benefit from it in a game........at which point it will become a very big 'Yes'.............I'm fickle!!

ballantine

Post by ballantine » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Nope.

ornchurch ammer

Post by ornchurch ammer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Yes - for decisions where there is a definitive Yes or No, I.e. Offside.

No - for decisions where the decision is a matter of opinion. We've all seen replays of countless penalties over the years where even now people argue if it was or wasn't. You might as well stick to original decision and carry on. It will identify the divers more but I bet that the top teams are not penalised for it as much as the others.

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:33 pm

Still on the fence to be honest. Ask me again in a year.

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Absolutely. Will be a great asset to teams outside the 'top six'.
bet you a tenner it won't.

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm a yes, but I'm not sure VAR is necessary compatible with the rules of the game, or vice versa, in specific situations.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm

fjthegrey wrote:NO.

It exists because adults can't accept that occasionally a game is unfair.
Good point FJ

it was much better in the old days when you never really knew if decisions made were right or wrong, and thus didn't really care about it