VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

westham,eggyandchips

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:32 am

Goal line technology has worked pretty well, I think we'll all agree on that. Mainly because the decision is black or white.

VAR still contains too many grey areas. The Lingard one was appalling. The angle they was using wasnt even in line with the attacking player and the defender. No way of being 100% accurate.

NO from me.

VV2

Post by VV2 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:32 am

If it improves player behaviour then I’m all for it. :thup:

ChzMff

Post by ChzMff » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:34 am

No. It will ruin the game for the majority of match going fans. Those high up are quick to forget it is those very fans that play a fundamental part in making football what it is, particularly in England. Half empty stadiums for European finals should not be met with derision for supporters of those clubs but serious questions of those in charge of our game.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:37 am

ChzMff wrote:No. It will ruin the game for the majority of match going fans. Those high up are quick to forget it is those very fans that play a fundamental part in making football what it is, particularly in England. Half empty stadiums for European finals should not be met with derision for supporters of those clubs but serious questions of those in charge of our game.
I've had far too many games ruined for me by the wrong decision.

Imagine the euphoria of Chelsea's last minute penalty being overturned in 2016, and Loftus-Cheek being booked. Same for Leicester's a week later.

All the Liverpool fans celebrating Mane's goal against us only to see the scoreboard drop back to 0-0.

Hilarious.

The VAR decision was one of the most tense moments I've experienced watching a football game outside of Penalties. I'd seen the replay, I said it was offside and that England were quite lucky, only for the ref to consult VAR. It was tense.

ChzMff

Post by ChzMff » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:53 am

And what about games that have been ‘ruined’ for the opposition by a wrong decision?

You will not get a 100% correct decision with VAR anyway so you will still be in the same situation.

Was you at the England game?

Rasp

Post by Rasp » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 am

VAR would have given us points last season.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:54 am

All this talk of the 'tension' making the game more exciting, it's football not Deal Or No Deal. FFS :x

szola

Post by szola » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:04 am

Less diving and cheating or more gamesmanship?
:o

Stulaw

Post by Stulaw » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am

It takes longer for some "injured" players to get off the pitch than most VAR decisions have taken so far.

SullySpecial

Post by SullySpecial » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:51 am

No. I hate it.

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:57 am

Things like the England 'goal' should be like umpires call in cricket. I am not saying that because it was an England goal but his toe was literally offside. It was not a clear and obvious error. If the players body is visible from the linesman's position then call it offside.

Needs to be much quicker with crowd involvement watching the replays.

As it stands right now... NO. With tweaks.. yes.

Ferret

Post by Ferret » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:21 pm

YES....it will stop Man Utd getting all those penalties they've cheated their way too...for the past 20 years!.

e17

Post by e17 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:52 pm

thejackhammer wrote:I've had far too many games ruined for me by the wrong decision.
Followed by a list of games I’m assuming you watched on the television?

I think this is my problem with it... I don’t really have a problem when it’s presented in that format - it’s no more annoying to me than Carragher or Redkunt blabbing on. But as an addition as a spectator and as a replication of a 100 year old game played universally from the concrete to the stadium, I’m completely against it because not only does it make the elite even more elite, but it undermines the officials and spontaneous nature of watching.

Honestly I’d rather we got done by a ropey Hackett decision, than wait 4 minutes for ****ing robocop to tell us it wasn’t a red card.

I would support the idea of one appeal each per half and a decision to be made within 30 seconds. OR the ref to have opinion given to him via earpiece

But **** the whole “stopping the game while I walk over to a camera” absolute nonsense

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:34 pm

I quite enjoy the odd bad decision - get's the crowd going.

It won't level the playing field at all and could quite easily do the opposite. The big teams create more chances, have players of more trickery and the controversy just moves elsewhere. The WC final did it for me.

I prefer the instantaneous joy or despair.

mike1961

Post by mike1961 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:20 pm

No, definitely not. If they showed the replay to the spectators I might reconsider but they will never do that for fear of riots/ pitch invasions when (inevitably) the wrong decision is made.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:33 pm

What had whether I was watching on tele or in the ground got to do with anything.

The Chelsea and Leicester games I watched on tele, the Liverpool game I was at. But regardless, us and many other teams have lost out due to bias decisions, although I agree with Crouchy that the bias isnt purposeful.

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:45 pm

[quote="GaryP"]Things like the England 'goal' should be like umpires call in cricket. I am not saying that because it was an England goal but his toe was literally offside. It was not a clear and obvious error. If the players body is visible from the linesman's position then call it offside.

Needs to be much quicker with crowd involvement watching the replays.

As it stands right now... NO. With tweaks.. yes.[/quote]

:thup:
I've often wondered about Hawkeye - is its accuracy down to being aligned with the stumps? Or can it be off-centre?
After all it appears to make some remarkable measurements wrt to trajectory and point-of-impact of the ball.

e17

Post by e17 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:32 pm

thejackhammer wrote:What had whether I was watching on tele or in the ground got to do with anything.

The Chelsea and Leicester games I watched on tele, the Liverpool game I was at. But regardless, us and many other teams have lost out due to bias decisions, although I agree with Crouchy that the bias isnt purposeful.
More my personal reason for being a no than yes mate - I agreed with the matches and comments you made on the highlighted games, but not sure I’d swap better results for longer dragged out games as a paying punter

I guess we see next season anyway

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:55 pm

the review in the England game took about 5 minutes (they added 7 but you figure in 2 for the subs) so again, if it takes 5 minutes, it cannot be by definition, "clear and obvious."

30 seconds should suffice - with the number of people in the booth and the video replays available to them it should take nowhere near that long.

whenever you watch a La Liga game prior to the start they always show the VAR room. there's about 4+ people in there with about 5 tellys with those angles available to them.

4 people with all of those cameras, equipment and that and it takes 4-5 minutes I would say on average for the La Liga reviews I have seen. and they were about as obvious as the one in the England game. about half a football stud length.

mentioned over in the betting thread, I watched the Kentucky Derby about 6 weeks back.

an objection was raised about a horse moving offline and obstructing another horse.

22 minutes later the winner was disqualified.

just wait until VAR takes 5-10 minutes to make a decision.

it will happen.

that's why I say 30 seconds. with the technology available to them and a panel in the VAR van, if they cannot figure it out in 30 seconds it ain't clear and obvious and the ruling on the field stands.

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Post by Tristan Shout » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:47 pm

Ferret wrote:YES....it will stop Man Utd getting all those penalties they've cheated their way too...for the past 20 years!.
Or it could get them more Headbanger