VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

brownout

Re: VAR

Post by brownout » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:45 pm

According to the laws I believe that a penalty should be retaken if it's scored but an attacking player encroaches.

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Law 14 is here

Once the referee has signalled for a penalty kick to be taken, the kick must be taken; if it is not taken the referee may take disciplinary action before signalling again for the kick to be taken.

If, before the ball is in play, one of the following occurs:

the player taking the penalty kick or a team-mate offends:

if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken

if the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and restarts with an indirect free kick

the goalkeeper or a team-mate offends:

if the ball enters the goal, a goal is awarded

if the ball does not enter the goal, the kick is retaken; the goalkeeper is cautioned if responsible for the offence

player of both teams offends the Laws of the Game,

the kick is retaken

So as both Man City players and West ham players encroached (however marginally) on the 2nd (retaken) penalty it should, ridiculous as it may be, according to their own Law and procedure, have once again been retaken.

As for last nights one I have no idea how or why that escaped practically every media outlets attention.

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:38 pm

thejackhammer wrote: Liverpool had a wrong penalty given against them WITH VAR in play, we cant be saying VAR is bias towards them.
Haven't you heard? It's a conspiracy.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Yep still hate it.It's not suited to football.

wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:56 pm

My issue is consistency. Quite prepared to give it a chance if it is applied the same way in each games. Equally I would be quite happy to scrap it as I am happy with how it was before.

The biggest issue is offside calls.

You have some linesmen putting their flags up like normal and forgetting VAR exists, ref blows whistle and game restarts. Lots of these are still being called incorrectly, yet if the ball hits the back of the net there is a review automatically.

Lino today Arsenal V Burnley put his flag up 2 or 3 times for decisions that were guesswork. Inches in it. But no review as the ref stopped play for the offside. In some games, the lino lets it go, Arsenal break and score, and then there is a review.

Can't be having both of these happening, one or the other.

Junco Partner
Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Post by Junco Partner » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Although we benefitted today its another poor weekend for this destructive innovation.

VAR, for me at least, is ruining the game of football. It destroys the natural rhythm of the game, leaves the paying fans and players feeling bewildered, confused and somewhat less than satisfied even when VAR goes in their favour like today.

BAN IT!

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:28 pm

No VAR for checking goalkeeper stay on their line for penalties

But a goal disallowed today for the ball glancing an arm, rules is rules. Took the fun out of it though

Offside decisions reviewed only for a goal

Throws wrongly called by Lino or ref that lead to goal, do they count ?

What about offside if it leads to a VAR pen, that lead to a save by a keeper 2m off their line !!!?

Essex bill

Post by Essex bill » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:50 pm

I'm sorry but if that has been disallowed for handball we may as all well give it in. Not a single person in that ground saw a handball yet it was still checked until the slightest reason it could be ruled out was spotted.

e17

Post by e17 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:19 pm

It’s killing the game

James P

Post by James P » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:04 am

It will be rolled back. It will take a few years but it’s clearly terrible for the game. Like golden goal it will be considered a good idea in theory that doesn’t work out in practice. It won’t last.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:49 am

The problem with the handball today had nothing to do with VAR and everything to do with the new rule. Basically it was introduced to prevent the perceived injustice of accidental handballs leading directly or indirectly to a goal. Whether the rule is right or not is a totally different debate. You can debate for example with the Hernandez goal last season against Palace (?) was accidental or not, this rule means it would be disallowed irrespective as it would the Llorente one in the CL match at Man City.

Had the ref seen it he would have had to disallow it, there is zero discretion, the handball propelled the ball to Jesus (however minutely) and he then scored to it created the goal scoring opportunity. At least with VAR reviewing it, it should mean a team does not profit from the referee having missed it

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:07 am

James P wrote:It will be rolled back. It will take a few years but it’s clearly terrible for the game. Like golden goal it will be considered a good idea in theory that doesn’t work out in practice. It won’t last.
I am not so sure. It clearly currently causes issues for spectators in the ground and the atmosphere there but the game is increasingly dominated by TV and they can show the replays, have their experts comment etc. I suspect they might like it.

Also is it “terrible for the game” if the laws are being properly enforced, terrible for the atmosphere in grounds maybe and that might just be a presentational issue. What is the difference between a goal in Rugby and a try in football yet there seems to be little kick back against the try review in Rugby? Perhaps we should be miking up the ref who says I have a goal but check for offside, infringement in the box or whatever so the crowd know better what is happening.

Also FIFA will run scared of rolling it back simply due to atmosphere issues, show it is getting decisions wrong then that might change. Imagine the grief they get if the next World Cup is decided by an offside goal with no VAR when the technology is available to get the decision right.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:13 am

The problem with rugby and cricket comparisons are that they’re so stop and start, phase of play sports. Football is more flowing and from a spectator perspective a hell of a lot more impulse reaction. There’s no doubt VAR takes some of what’s left from the atmosphere away. Furthermore it’s also distancing the premier league even further away from not only lower leagues but grass roots. If it can work properly I’m very pro it, so far though I’m not sold.

One of the best introductions to the modern game was goal line technology. The reason being is that it’s so slick that the crowd or TV support don’t even realise it’s being implemented. VAR needs to be more like that and less the main show.

WeallwantMoore

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by WeallwantMoore » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:09 am

Still a no from me, yesterday’s Man City game highlights why...decisions are .still open to interpretation

costa75

Post by costa75 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:17 am

A huge thumbs up from me for VAR.

Why? West Ham will benefit from it, that's why.

Once people get used to it, all will be well.

Samba

Post by Samba » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:24 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:even though he wasn't the "victim" of it, Gabriel Jesus isn't impressed with it either !!!!!!
Manchester City's Gabriel Jesus scored once, assisted another goal, was sent off and pushed the VAR monitor as Brazil won a first Copa America title in 12 years, beating Peru 3-1.
He was just trying to adjust the 'vertical hold'..

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:15 am

VAR has been good to us so far long may it continue !

maybe city should sponsor VAR screens to get what they want. :)

lovely to see some of the big teams not get it all their own way !

goa127

Post by goa127 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:37 am

Although I think the Var decision which stopped City beating a very poor spuds team was ridiculous, one question has been answered. The 'big' teams are having the built-in bias stripped away. Sterling's 'goal' against us last week, the handball decision last night. a ref watching a screen 200 miles away is able to take a dispassionate view. Do I like it? NO

Hammer in Hornchurch

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:28 am

No - at least,, not in the current way
Should be used same as cricket reviews, where each team can have two reviews (captain makes request)
If the review gets overturned by the VAR people you lose that revue
The finest of touch for handball in the Man City v Spurs game was so obscure I don’t think Spurs players would have picked up on that and requested a revue themselves if the above method was used,

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:47 am

VAR is just implementing the laws of the game

It’s the laws that need adjusting

The new handball law is rubbish. Any attacking player if it touches his hand even by accident the goal will be ruled out.. that needs changing

Encroachment .. players just need to remember how to play within that law.

Offside is tricky one. The myth of daylight between players maybe should actually be brought in.

As it stands VAR is getting more decisions correct than it is wrong

For years people have been asking for video assistance for refs