VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Absolutely Hammered!

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:29 am

It just feels like because we are west ham the powers that be back at VAR HQ, in this instance, were searching for reasons not to give the goal as opposed to using VAR to find a clear and obvious issue with the play leading to the goal. The ref didnt call it, the linesman didn't, the home fans didn't, even the frickin sheff utd players didn't even call for hand ball.
So if a striker smashes the ball at a defender from 2 yards and his arm is in a natural position is that now a pen? Because this is essentially what's happened to rice here and to make it worse i see a previous poster had found a handful of instances where this has happened before and yet VAR hasn't pulled this up. Annoyed ain't the word.

JonG86

Post by JonG86 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:36 am

I'm still for it.

I was and still am fed up of being cheated pit of games, especially against big teams, bumpy poor officiating. Like Liverpool last year when Salah was 5 yards offside before crossing for the opening goal, or Silva diving for City.

There have been problems with implementation and I strongly believe something like they have in rugby (video on the big screen, ref watching that, discussion with VAR ref, but refs decision being final) should be in place.

However the biggest issues at the moment are with the rules. The offside, handball and encroachment rules are super strict and people arent used to them (they're also not very lractical).

Spontaneity can get to f***. I want the right decisions. Especially against big clubs.

old fart

Post by old fart » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:41 am

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:29 am

So if a striker smashes the ball at a defender from 2 yards and his arm is in a natural position is that now a pen? Because this is essentially what's happened to rice here and to make it worse i see a previous poster had found a handful of instances where this has happened before and yet VAR hasn't pulled this up. Annoyed ain't the word.
No because we now have a two tier hand ball law different for defenders and attackers; defenders can accidentally handle the ball in the area but attackers can't allow the ball near their hands if it leads to a goal.

What the ref (VAR)would do if a defender were to accidentally handle the ball in the penalty area and then freakishly lash the ball 80 yards upfield into an unguarded goal God only knows

OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:56 am

The Old Mile End wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:59 am
Football has created it's own little monster that will destroy the game as we knew it. Here is a game, dependant upon goals for it's appeal and existence, that has found a way to cancel them out.

It is a killer to the emotions and needs to be stopped for the good of the game.
Exactly that. This time it happened to be us who suffered. I’m against VAR not because I support West Ham and feel hard done by but because it’s sucking the joy out of the game.

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:06 am

If fouls can be turned over retrospectively and red cards rescinded why can’t a goal be allowed? If they have made a mistake and the goal should have stood why can’t they change the result now and make it 1-1. If the goal shouldn’t have stood and the rules are the rules we should stop going on about it as the goal shouldn’t have stood. Either it was a hand ball or not. Either it is the rules or not.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 am

According to the current laws of the game the goal was correctly ruled out

Crap law, but it is what it is

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:29 am
This is the thing. That was ruled out last night because just before, the ball had hit his arm.
Ok, that's fine, but now do it EVERY TIME the ball hits an arm or hand.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:20 pm

It needs to be ditched. It's boring.

Unless they can make it flawless and instant - like goal line tech - it isn't worth what's lost from the game.

mushy

Post by mushy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Another talking point for the TV companies, as such it sells tickets and they are happy.
Who would be talking about last nights match if it had ended 1-1 and the goal had stood? Hardly anyone, instead half the World are venting their Var opinions (Talksport even had some American wrestler on this morning).
They are lapping it up, as such its likely to stay, unless of course people get so pissed off that they start cancelling subscriptions.

Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Mushy,
Are you suggesting that VAR is there at the behest of the TV companies & that cancelling subscriptions will help?
Genuine question, personally i have & never will subscribe to pay tv, i actually think Sky etc are as bad as GSB in many ways

il_martello_di_genovesi

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:56 pm

JonG86 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:36 am
I'm still for it.

I was and still am fed up of being cheated pit of games, especially against big teams, bumpy poor officiating. Like Liverpool last year
Liverpool scored from a goal that was handled by Van Dijk in the build up against Wolves. It should have been disallowed by VAR due to the handball rule and it wasn't. The reason given is that it was 'inconclusive' :lol:.

A new rule comes in, VAR comes in and still it's not consistent. Liverpool benefit, West Ham get punished (3rd time).

jastons

Post by jastons » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:58 pm

It feels like VAR is being used to find a reason to disallow a goal but when it ones to punishing fouls or dives missed by the ref then it isn't interested.

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....

Post by Plashet Grove Pete » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:03 pm

So the net result is (a) VAR reduces the number of goals scored in games (the critical element of matches) and (b) defeats the excitement when the ball hits the net (as no one knows whether or not it will count anymore).

Can anyone suggest a more idiotic way of f*cking up a sport?

Utter retards.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:12 pm

I'm watching Soccer Saturday on Sky for the first time on yonks - VAR is killing it.

Every time there's a goal or a penalty, the reaction is muted before the inevitable 'let's see what VAR says' comment as everyone hangs about , goes and makes a cup of tea while they bugger about looking at everything...

Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:17 pm

My first game this season so therefore my first VAR game. When we scored I went ****ing ape, only to then see people stop jumping and start staring at the screen. What an awful moment that is. Gut wrenching when they all went up as it got ruled out.
Watching it on tv is bad enough, but for the people that actually go to games it kills the one thing that got me hooked as a kid in the first place; celebrating a GOAL!!
Hats off to you boys who go every week although judging by the chatter on the way home even the die hards resolve is being fully tested this season.
Someone on an Xbox in Swindon telling me the outcome of the match I’m at after 12:30 coach start and getting in at 3:30am on a Friday ?? What the actual f*** is going on.

e17

Post by e17 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:19 pm

Personally think it makes any top flight neutral matches now completely redundant. It’s boring enough waiting for it to dick about at games of the team you support, let alone some random match between asshole of nowhere Wolves v Southampton game

e17

Post by e17 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Porkeyes wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:17 pm
My first game this season so therefore my first VAR game. When we scored I went ****ing ape, only to then see people stop jumping and start staring at the screen. What an awful moment that is. Gut wrenching when they all went up as it got ruled out.
Watching it on tv is bad enough, but for the people that actually go to games it kills the one thing that got me hooked as a kid in the first place; celebrating a GOAL!!
Hats off to you boys who go every week although judging by the chatter on the way home even the die hards resolve is being fully tested this season.
Someone on an Xbox in Swindon telling me the outcome of the match I’m at after 12:30 coach start and getting in at 3:30am on a Friday ?? What the actual **** is going on.
Great post mate :thup:

Those saying “I still think it’s a good idea” need to read your post and go and watch what it’s doing for themselves

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:03 pm

JonG86 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:36 am
I'm still for it.

I was and still am fed up of being cheated pit of games, especially against big teams, bumpy poor officiating. Like Liverpool last year when Salah was 5 yards offside before crossing for the opening goal, or Silva diving for City.

There have been problems with implementation and I strongly believe something like they have in rugby (video on the big screen, ref watching that, discussion with VAR ref, but refs decision being final) should be in place.

However the biggest issues at the moment are with the rules. The offside, handball and encroachment rules are super strict and people arent used to them (they're also not very lractical).

Spontaneity can get to ****. I want the right decisions. Especially against big clubs.
You’re still getting cheated. Snods goal last night is a case in point. You’re just getting cheated in a different way.

For what is an entertainment industry football is doing its best to take away the biggest part of the entertainment

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:44 pm

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:56 pm
Liverpool scored from a goal that was handled by Van Dijk in the build up against Wolves. It should have been disallowed by VAR due to the handball rule and it wasn't. The reason given is that it was 'inconclusive' :lol:.

A new rule comes in, VAR comes in and still it's not consistent. Liverpool benefit, West Ham get punished (3rd time).
Genuine question as I haven't seen the Van Dijk one, but was it the same situation or was there a reason it was 'allowed' (outside of it just being Liverpool)

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:05 pm

goa127 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:20 am
Var was our friend v Bournemouth
You mean the Noble pen when we were already two to the good?