VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

James P

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by James P » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Sauce

You said right at the start that them looking at M-N’s foul to see if it was a red card made the decision not to review Arthur’s second yellow an even more ridiculous one.

I’m just pointing out that they don’t review yellow cards to try and over turn them at all. That decision was made months ago when they were deciding the parameters for how VAR would be used upon introduction to the Premier League. There was no “Arthur decision”.

Junco Partner
Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Post by Junco Partner » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 pm

Still hate it, haven't mellowed into it with more familiarity.

Totally kills the most beautiful part of watching a game live in the flesh, I'd happily consign it to history's dustbin tomorrow.

There is no upside.

Awooga_Iron

Post by Awooga_Iron » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Having been massively in favour, I've realised that controversy won't go away because a. the media stoke it for clicks and discussion and b. there's no respect for referees in football. So why bother until that has changed. In cricket, you cant have a game without the umpire, in rugby the ref can sanction disrespect, and there's an acknowledgement that refs need help. In football, those ***** in the middle have now no excuse to get things wrong.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Estuary wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:49 pm
So yesterday Chelsea had a goal chalked off for an offside that happened way back in the build up to a goal by their right back. If Mount was offside he was offside but here's the thing, if Liverpool had won the ball back gone up the other end and scored would that have been hauled back for the "off side"?
It was not 'way back' in the build up, it was 2 or 3 passes before the goal.

It wouldn't have been looked at because Liverpool winning the ball back starts a second phase of play, and there would be no need to look because Chelsea wouldnt have gained advantage.

Last year Chelsea would have scored a goal that should not have counted, VAR has prevented that.

That is a good thing.

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:45 pm

So any fans of VAR left?

szola

Post by szola » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Yes. I'm a fan.

OFT

Post by OFT » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 pm

Vic_Watson wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:45 pm
So any fans of VAR left?
Liverpool FC.

Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm

I watched a VAR decision in realtime today, for the 1st time.
I agree that technically the decision was correct.
However, football is dead as far as i'm concerned, 3 minutes to review a goal, it's a feckin joke.
I will take comfort in my memories of 70s & 80s football & genuinely feel sorry for those that never witnessed REAL football.
SKY & their like have killed football for me
RIP :thdn:

S-H

Post by S-H » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:04 pm

It's the brain dead morons, making the decisions from it, that are the problem.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:05 pm

S-H wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:04 pm
It's the brain dead morons, making the the decisions from it, that are the problem.
Out of interest, what decisions should they have made?

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Heysel76 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm
I agree that technically the decision was correct.
I'm not even sure it is. When does the ball actually leave the boot? Another frame and the man is offside.

OFT

Post by OFT » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Based on the current rules they had no choice but to 'allow'
I'm sure we've already discussed this but why bother with the linesman for offsides at all. If they're going to review every goal just let play continue. As we saw, In the first half Yarmo was incorrectly given off by the lino. Who knows what may have developed if play had gone on.

EMI

Post by EMI » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:05 pm
Out of interest, what decisions should they have made?
They could put the lines in the right place...

Not only is this sucking the joy out of football, they can’t even draw the lines in the right place

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:13 pm

I am assuming that EVERY goal is reviewed these days, or at least that what the commentary seems to believe.

because the flag went up, just like Monday's game. Aubamayang was 2 yards on and according to the VAR today, Ayew was a cm (if that) onside.

we know that it's any part of the body that can score is the defining rule but is it the same for defenders i.e. any part of the body that can prevent a goal is the defining rule ?

anyway, said from day 1 I didn't like VAR and nothing since has changed my mind. not today's goal but every game that has these goals denied or awarded by a cm is naff.

OFT

Post by OFT » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:17 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:13 pm
I am assuming that EVERY goal is reviewed these days, or at least that what the commentary seems to believe.
Yep. That's what they said.
Linesmen un-necessary

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Clear snd obvious, how the **** can that be clear and obvious? fag paper in it , Lino put his flag up so that should have been the decision on that one , piss poor technology.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:43 pm

well they are obviously not going with clear and obvious, unless that only applies to the referee. although the clear and obvious applied Monday. so what ARE the rules exactly ? no one seems to know.

I think that it was the Bin Dippers game when the commentary team said something along the lines that the VAR guys don't want to over rule the referee on field call. and as long as the same blokes in the VAR booth/studio who have to work together next week or so, they're not hardly likely to are they ?

has to be a completely independent body. look as to where we are with appalling decisions week in week out but these guys normally keep getting top games. there is no independent body running the rule over them so they in general, support their own.

and I am not talking about today's game against Palace. it happens loads of times. too many to be coincidental. and I don't mean a conspiracy, I just mean in general, inept refs. is that AR from Monday nights game who incorrectly flagged the Arsenal goal offside being demoted ? which again isn't really fair to the lower level teams. says to them, we're not only sending you blokes who are not competent to officiate at the top levels but we're also sending you blokes who cock up regularly until they get it right again. in other words, you're our guinea pigs.

HammerAl

Post by HammerAl » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Absolutely f*cking no.

S-H

Post by S-H » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:48 pm

61dicksey wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:29 pm
Clear snd obvious, how the **** can that be clear and obvious? fag paper in it , Lino put his flag up so that should have been the decision on that one , piss poor technology.

It's not the technology, it's the people reviewing it.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:54 pm

“Clear and obvious” does not apply to questions of fact - including onside/offside. It only applies to questions of interpretation - was that a foul, red card etc.