VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

il_martello_di_genovesi

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Tottenham score a goal which was controlled by Alli’s arm. VAR check it, put the wrong decision on the screen and then still give the goal. It’s an utter farce. The moment Sokratis got away with that handball against Aston Villa, you know VAR is just going to be an inconsistent disruption.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:22 pm

couple of goals ruled out today by a gnat's hair and one we never did see a replay - and a yellow changed into a red late on in the Dortmund game. BMG player being the guilty party.

on a ball into the box, you can clearly see the Mallorca player pull on a Madrid player's jersey.

commentary team: "Well we do have VAR - well I guess it's a selective VAR."

:eh:

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:54 pm

Having watched the rugby quarterfinals this morning and seen how VAR should be used compared to what I'm seeing on MOTD I have to say no. There's no issue with underminding the on field officials as they aren't seen as separate from the TMO. The FA, Premier League, UEFA, FIFA et al have some how managed to totally balls this up. Is football uniquely run by total utter morons? It's ridiculous, utterly utterly ridiculous.

e17

Post by e17 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:22 am

from that Spud **** up yesterday
”Hawk-Eye apologises to Spurs and Watford fans for the confusion caused.

"We are working together with the Professional Game Match Officials Board and the Premier League to understand the root cause of this problem and propose a series of measures to ensure it won't happen again."
:asleep:

“The beautiful game”

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:41 am

Somewhere between the penalty awarded to Mane last week and the one not awarded to Watford yesterday lies the wreckage of this bollox.

bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Goal given in Liverpool game. But why did var even look at it. We had a similar situation earlier in season and was told earlier incidents aren't looked at

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Because they are the Premiership darlings and would march on parliament if they lost the game , Klopp is such a prick

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:15 pm

He will be doing his pieces now :lol:

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Watching Klopp moaning is more entertaining than the game . :lol:

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Post by Tristan Shout » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Why are sky saying "2 controversial var decisions"
The ball hit mane on the hand, the goal is not given, what's controversial about that?

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Tristan Shout wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:34 pm
Why are sky saying "2 controversial var decisions"
The ball hit mane on the hand, the goal is not given, what's controversial about that?
Because on another day it won't be given as handball. Its inconsistent and very very ****.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:54 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:45 pm
Because on another day it won't be given as handball. Its inconsistent and very very ****.

Correct. :thup:

Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:08 pm

Faithless wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:54 pm
Having watched the rugby quarterfinals this morning and seen how VAR should be used compared to what I'm seeing on MOTD I have to say no. There's no issue with underminding the on field officials as they aren't seen as separate from the TMO. The FA, Premier League, UEFA, FIFA et al have some how managed to totally balls this up. Is football uniquely run by total utter morons? It's ridiculous, utterly utterly ridiculous.
This. Rugby and Cricket have been managing to use technology to review decisions for ages without making the games farcical!

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 pm

Macca1973 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:08 pm
This. Rugby and Cricket have been managing to use technology to review decisions for ages without making the games farcical!
This is the thing that makes no sense to me. Both Rugby and Cricket made mistakes at the start and then adjusted accordingly. IIRC in Cricket at first they'd overrule the Umpire on a LBW not out if the ball was deemed to clip the bails much like being offside by a millimetre but changed it to staying with the on field decision after Fans, Players, etc thought it was b*llocks (plus the technology wasn't 100%, sound familiar?). Rugby has taken years to come to the current TMO system.

Football was in a unique position of learning from the mistakes of other sports but instead decided to make all the same mistakes and impressively, some new ones. There was no consultation, as far as I know, with ex players or supporters associations on what people thought it should be used for or to what degree, instead they've managed to turn the whole thing into a farce.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:57 am

Handballs are always gonna be given. Jimenez got done for Wolves and then booked, whereas I think it hits him as he runs.

The non-penalty for Watford goes down as the second biggest error, after the Haller missed pen against Norwich.

I was a fan, wanted it, but am turning against it. The technology isn't a problem, but the officials are so poor at using it. I have issues with the laws anyway - an inch offside isn't worth calling - but the fact the VAR officials seem to want to keep the status quo is a problem.

pezza20

Post by pezza20 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:22 am

There are huge issues with VAR - even pundits don't understand what it can and can't be used for. Last night, the VAR official is not going to overturn an on field decision by the ref that Origi wasn't fouled as he either didn't see it, in which case it wasn't a clear and obvious error, or he did see it and told the VAR official so in which case why would the VAR official override it?

The biggest issue for me is it decides offside decisions after the event and handballs both leading to goals or when goals have been score directly from it, I agree with that, good rule as handball is handball, however in the Haller and other cases where the ref has clearly got a penalty award wrong then it should be given - there was absolutely no doubt at all the player took Haller's legs away from him without making contact with the ball, so a penalty should have been awarded.

S-H

Post by S-H » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:11 am

Does the gurning German cheerleader, honestly think that was a foul on Orgi, before Man Utd scored, yesterday?

ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 am

pezza20 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:22 am
There are huge issues with VAR - even pundits don't understand what it can and can't be used for. Last night, the VAR official is not going to overturn an on field decision by the ref that Origi wasn't fouled as he either didn't see it, in which case it wasn't a clear and obvious error, or he did see it and told the VAR official so in which case why would the VAR official override it?

The biggest issue for me is it decides offside decisions after the event and handballs both leading to goals or when goals have been score directly from it, I agree with that, good rule as handball is handball, however in the Haller and other cases where the ref has clearly got a penalty award wrong then it should be given - there was absolutely no doubt at all the player took Haller's legs away from him without making contact with the ball, so a penalty should have been awarded.
Haller has only been with us five minutes and I have already seen at least 5 or 6 blatant fouls on him not given.

Touch ( or come close ) any Liverpool / Man Citeh player and it's a foul.

Faithless

Post by Faithless » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:15 pm

S-H wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:11 am
Does the gurning German cheerleader, honestly think that was a foul on Orgi, before Man Utd scored, yesterday?

This annoys me more than anything with the way they've implemented VAR. It wasn't a foul and the way Orgi goes down is clearly simulation followed by feigning injury, it's a booking if anything.
Law 12 - FOULS AND MISCONDUCT
CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR:
attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
Note it says sweet FA about contact of any kind meaning you can dive (simulation) or feign injury no matter what ill informed Pundits (Danny Murphy)/Commentators(Guy Mowberry/John Murray)/Mangers (Klopp) might say (I only listened to 5Live/and watched MOTD2). Minimal contact on your left calf does not make you pirouette and collapse to the ground and should never be overruled in a million years.

This is what I wanted VAR to be used for. After the goal had been given a clear conversation between the Ref and VAR, heard by all, should take place with the VAR saying "it wasn't a foul, there was minimal contact that wouldn't have knocked Bambi over and he's tried to deceive you by simulating excessive contact and also feigning injury therefore I recommend a yellow card"

Same as with Gomes against us the other day VAR should've been saying "He's done this 3 times now he's clearly deliberately breaking up their attacks by persistent fouling"

That's the whole ****ing point of VAR not whether someones left ball bag is off side by a millilitre or not.

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:29 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:11 pm
Goal given in Liverpool game. But why did var even look at it. We had a similar situation earlier in season and was told earlier incidents aren't looked at
All goals are checked. All of them.