VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Vic_Watson

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by Vic_Watson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:08 pm

The current use for handballs takes the ref out of the equation altogether - not the case for pens as the ManU one today shows. Obviously Dec's handball was unintenional and resulted in no gain so why not stick with the onfield decision? It really is that simple.

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:09 pm

Another one goes in VARpools favour

swash

Post by swash » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Liverpool goal stands, quelle surprise

Pob!

Post by Pob! » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm

61dicksey wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:09 pm
Another one goes in VARpools favour
Indeed.. :lol:

swash

Post by swash » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:11 pm

Corrupt as ****

il_martello_di_genovesi

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:18 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:44 pm
Genuine question as I haven't seen the Van Dijk one, but was it the same situation or was there a reason it was 'allowed' (outside of it just being Liverpool)
Controlled with has hand, pass played from it and Liverpool score. Basically a handball in the build up the goal. They said it was 'inconclusive' even though it was clear. The same rule applied to Rice and Antonio should've been applied.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:21 pm

Apparently the Van dijk one wasn't disallowed because:

According to Sky Sports, VAR checked the replay and claimed the ‘evidence is inconclusive’.

But according to beIN Sports, the match referee Anthony Taylor told Wolves’ technical staff that Van Dijk’s handball was ‘too far back in the move’ to be considered.

Apparently there is some vague nonsense in the law about phases of play and so forth

This is clearly a problem as is then open to interpretation when I thought the point was to remove that!

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:23 pm

People were mentioning things like scorer and assist last night. Is that part of the law? What does an assist mean? Is it only the player who makes the final assist who can be considered?

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:21 pm
Apparently the Van dijk one wasn't disallowed because:

According to Sky Sports, VAR checked the replay and claimed the ‘evidence is inconclusive’.

But according to beIN Sports, the match referee Anthony Taylor told Wolves’ technical staff that Van Dijk’s handball was ‘too far back in the move’ to be considered.

Apparently there is some vague nonsense in the law about phases of play and so forth

This is clearly a problem as is then open to interpretation when I thought the point was to remove that!
This is where the whole rule book is and has been a ****ing shambles for years. The very same kind of foul play goes relatively unpunished in the middle of the pitch compared to that within the area on the attacking side. A foul is a foul or isn’t no matter where it happens on the pitch. Football also isn’t played in phases. For instance in rugby a phase is started when the attacking side sets up a new attack from the ground after a tackle. So there is a definitive point in play where an attack is restarted, and even then a ref can go back and award an advantage from a previous phase. Football is one phase until the ball goes dead.

The whole mess is utter bollox, and has ruined the experience for the supporter. I said early on in this thread, that the only interested party is the Broadcasters who have more controversy to talk about.

Absolutely Hammered!

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:01 pm

Liverpool's Robertson does a studs up challenge and VAR not even looked at :D .
VAR or no VAR does it really matter?

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:49 pm

swash wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm
Liverpool goal stands, quelle surprise
Come on, it's Livarpool. At best, it's 'the evidence is inconclusive'...

e17

Post by e17 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:32 am

So many were saying “it will even out decisions against the big teams”

Not “it will help Liverpool stay undefeated”

Not so many now

mushy

Post by mushy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:09 am

Heysel76 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:42 pm
Mushy,
Are you suggesting that VAR is there at the behest of the TV companies & that cancelling subscriptions will help?
Genuine question, personally i have & never will subscribe to pay tv, i actually think Sky etc are as bad as GSB in many ways
It was a bit tongue in cheek if I am honest Heysel.
I am though convinced that the controversy created by Var is just what they want. The post match reviews of games often hardly mention the football side of things, var decisions are much more interesting.
You don't even get much ref bating anymore.
Hardly anyone will cancel subscriptions either, punters actually quite like the arguments.
It's those that watch live matches that are most effected, and who the f**k ever cared about them?
I feel dirty celebrating a goal these days.

Stevo44

Post by Stevo44 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 am

mushy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:09 am
I am though convinced that the controversy created by Var is just what they want. The post match reviews of games often hardly mention the football side of things, var decisions are much more interesting.
This in one - don't know what coverage you get over there but in Oz every Tuesday we see the review show - usually the Poo, Dublin and Hutch etc. This season they have Chris "that is what VAR is there for" Foy on the panel fulltime to dissect every single incident as nauseum. They love it, end of.

The question I always ask VAR fans is...."do you think there is less controversy now than there was BEFORE VAR"....media loves controversy.

Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am

jastons wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:58 pm
It feels like VAR is being used to find a reason to disallow a goal but when it ones to punishing fouls or dives missed by the ref then it isn't interested.
Absolutely.
Problem is they only want to use it for things that they can make black and white decisions and that's why rthe offemsive handball and offside rules are so strict.

Liverpool's goal last night came from a throw-in that should have been awarded the other way. It shouldn't take more than a video feed on a five-second delay to instantly see those things.

steps

Post by steps » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Villa fans are singing “f**k VAR”

The tide is turning.

Fans, players, certain managers and pundits are all against it now.

Not many still advocating it. I’m wondering how long it’ll be before there is enough backlash for it to be scrapped. Imo it has to be for the greater good of the game.

e17

Post by e17 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:01 pm

steps wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:55 pm
Villa fans are singing “f**k VAR”

The tide is turning.

Fans, players, certain managers and pundits are all against it now.

Not many still advocating it. I’m wondering how long it’ll be before there is enough backlash for it to be scrapped. Imo it has to be for the greater good of the game.
They won’t scrap it. Too many people making even more money from its use, and not just EPL or FA people.

It’s amazing - Sepp Blatter of all people actually kept this ***** at bay for years

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:07 pm

I watched the VAR-less Cardiff Swansea game earlier.

Poor game, but at least the flow was uninterrupted by VAR.

How long 'til they start putting adverts on whilst we wait for them to make up their minds ?

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:10 pm

With half or more of PL clubs having betting company sponsorship you can be sure VAR is here to stay.

It's all for the gambling industry.

costa75

Post by costa75 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:13 pm

I was massively in favour of VAR, but now admit I was massively wrong.

Bin it.