VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

sendô

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by sendô » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm

thejackhammer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 am
Just do away with the lines. If from a still the VAR panel cannot come to a unanimous agreement in 30 seconds stay with the onfield decision.
What is this? Common sense?

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 pm

They'll only change it when a 'top 6' side 's involved (and it goes against them) in a match towards the end of the season or a cup final......and then they'll do it pretty quickly.

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:33 pm

thejackhammer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 am
Just do away with the lines. If from a still the VAR panel cannot come to a unanimous agreement in 30 seconds stay with the onfield decision.
Not rocket science is it? If however they insist on keeping the stupid lines at least introduce a time limit and margin of error. Let the lino make the call and only overrule it exceeds those limits, I'd suggest 30 secs plus a margin of error of 2.5cm/1inch.

Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:51 pm

I'm staggered that we haven't yet had a league-wide fans protest against VAR.

Last Friday was the first time for me that I have experienced it in its worst, can I just say I don't care about the handball rule, the waiting around, the lines or any of the other VAR issues, in my opinion it all boils down to 1 thing the supporters who go to the games. What's the point in even going anymore if you can't celebrate a last minute equaliser away to a rival team on a Friday night in fear of it being chalked off?

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:49 am

What an absolutely feeble penalty that was last night.

Imagine how we'd have felt if that had been given in reverse and then not overturned on review.

Cabinfever

Post by Cabinfever » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:00 pm

The “VAR” Experience it’s :thdn:
In theory it’s ok
In practice I hate it. It’s taking even more enjoyment from the game. Apart from no organisation between the match officials, VAR back room & stadium. The decisions don’t make sense from one incident to another. Takes too long to come to a decision, which is unclear why is made in first place.
If you are going to do it, do like Rugby, show the incident on the big screen, and conversation between the field & back room officials. Show the reason something is happening & why the decision is made.
Today from the screen replay, appeared to be handball and while they may/may not have got the decision wrong, I felt robbed as would the opposition fan if they didn’t get the goal.

In the past, goal given, you looked to the Lino flags Up no goal, flag down goal. With our first two goals I didn’t feel I couldn’t celebrate as I was waiting for them to be chalked off. Goals are the enjoyment of the game, don’t take the enjoyment away.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:10 pm

Horrendous!

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:24 am

Watching MoTD last night,the Liverpool vs Southampton game - the pundits drew attention to 2 VAR "no-penalty" decisions that were so obviously stonewall penalties that it beggars belief.
Strangely enough,the first one went against Liverpool as a Southampton player wrestled a Liverpool player to the ground as he was about to head the ball over the goal-line.
The only explanation - short of visual impairment or skullduggery - is that the VAR officials are ordered to uphold the ref's onfield decision wherever possible.
Baffling.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:29 am

I weren't seeing things when I thought I saw on the big screens that VAR was complete - Disallowed Goal, only for the process to eventually overrule itself? :eh: They announced the decision, they should stick to it. And it clearly wasn't clear and obvious error for it to take so long and full of confusion.

It's such a ****ing farce it's destroying game. This aint football, geeks glued to screens trying to figure out whether hairline decisions are right or wrong.

AlfieG

Post by AlfieG » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:37 am

To the original question, a massive NO from me.

I understood it was to be used for 'clear and obvious errors'.....

From what I have seen in many matches they are changing the rules on a week by week basis.. Some matches they review things that in another match is ignored??

It is ripping the joy out of watching a game we all love.

Turn the sh1tty thing off NOW and let the officials in the ground do the job as they used to.

Most of the time they were correct and when they balls'd it up we all had something to debate and moan about.

Now all we do every week is discuss what some faceless idiot in a portacabin in Uxbridge pissing about with a computer has decided did or did not occur.....

Its a sport FFS not some matter of global significance, leave the game alone!!...... :oops:

Frank fellover

Post by Frank fellover » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Having attended the game yesterday where from what I saw I thought Fabs was at fault for their first goal. However watching the highlights on MOTD. I saw him mouth to Oggy straight after "he held my arm" The replay clearly showed Murray holding Fabs left arm so he couldnt catch the ball. The question, is surely Fabs would tell the captain Noble who would ask the ref to check VAR for his foul? The foul was also mentioned by Wrighty on MOTD, surely the players should be coached by Moyes to ask for a review with a specific complaint of a foul. As I see it that VAR miss went a long way to us losing 2 points yesterday.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Man City awarded VAR penalty 2 minutes later while the game was still in play.

Pen missed, Man City get another after Sterling fouled going for the rebound.

VAR then says no penalty.

:lol:

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....

Post by Plashet Grove Pete » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Do you remember the good old days, when football was football?

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:15 pm

What a farce and the pantomime dame Mike Dean in his element .

Hammer in Hornchurch

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:15 pm

Nearly 2 minutes play went on before they (VAR) confirmed penalty to city.
What if Spurs has scored in that time?
It’s ruining football.

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 pm

It's Ducking Shut

Even spoils watching a game on TV

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:18 pm

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:15 pm
Nearly 2 minutes play went on before they (VAR) confirmed penalty to city.
What if Spurs has scored in that time?
It’s ruining football.
What if City had scored?

bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:20 pm

I'm mildy amused by it all. Especially the ref wandering with the yellow card in hand...

Hammer in Hornchurch

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:25 pm

brothernero wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:18 pm
What if City had scored?
Yep.
Or if there was a red card offence, would play get pulled back for the penalty, to rule out red card?
I guess probably not but who knows !

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:25 pm
Yep.
Or if there was a red card offence, would play get pulled back for the penalty, to rule out red card?
I guess probably not but who knows !
Said on the radio that if either team had scored in that 2 minute spell or there had been a red card, it would be ruled out/over turned.

Plus Liverpool would be awarded a free penalty to use when they see fit.

(2nd part may be a joke)