VAR - yes or no ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Crouchend_Hammer

Re: VAR - yes or no ?

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:42 pm

brothernero wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:33 pm
Said on the radio that if either team had scored in that 2 minute spell or there had been a red card, it would be ruled out/over turned.
yep. happened in the Euro Nations Semi final between Portugal and Switzerland. I think Portugal had a goal ruled out and Switzerland got a penalty

if it was a red card for violent conduct i.e a player just punched another player then i expect that would stand

OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:55 pm

Is this even a debate anymore? Surely the question now is how we persuade the suits in charge of the game to drop the whole thing once and for all?

A good starting point would be for both sets of fans, regardless of the outcome, to chant ‘this ain’t football any more’ EVERY time VAR gets involved - rather than just the ones who lose out on that particular decision.

Or perhaps polls on every club’s fan forum asking the yes/no question.

Maybe this is something that can be coordinated between fans groups and/or forum owners?

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:10 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:24 am
Strangely enough,the first one went against Liverpool as a Southampton player wrestled a Liverpool player to the ground as he was about to head the ball over the goal-line.
That was truly bizarre. Pen and red card all day.

Overchuffed

Post by Overchuffed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Time added on question:

So with the Man City penalty one the other night, the referee doesn't give the penalty (foul committed 35:59), play continues for just 2 minutes, before the ball goes out and Mike "It's all about you" Dean is then told to give a penalty and signals for pen (38:04).
Therefore, anything that happened in those (just under) 2 minutes of football would have effectively not contributed to the outcome at all, as any goals scored or potential red card fouls would never have 'effectively' happened if the penalty was given straight away. Does that 2 minutes get added on at the end of the half, on top of the actual stoppage for the ref to receive instructions, as technically its time played that doesn't count.

The sooner we bin VAR the better.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:38 pm

I'm guessing the official answer is along the lines of "The referee is the sole arbiter of timekeeping".

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:41 pm

The ref ruled ‘handball’. Murray celebrated. VAR looked at it multiple times. They decided it wasn’t. But was it a ‘clear and obvious’
mistake from the ref?

No.

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:54 pm

Jon wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:41 pm
The ref ruled ‘handball’. Murray celebrated. VAR looked at it multiple times. They decided it wasn’t. But was it a ‘clear and obvious’
mistake from the ref?

No.
Yes.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:01 pm

Then why did the VAR need several replays?

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:11 pm

To check the various angles just as they do in cricket, rugby etc. Belt and braces. They all showed he didn't handle it. I hate VAR but it got this one right. A rare occurence.

Overchuffed

Post by Overchuffed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:11 pm

Jon wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:01 pm
Then why did the VAR need several replays?
Exactly this - if you can't tell from looking at with one or two different angles straight away then its not clear and obvious and they should go with the ref on the pitch.
I'm for scrubbing the whole thing anyway. I hate it. It's ruined football.

I found myself only half celebrating Issa Diop's goal on Saturday because I'm half expecting a VAR to get involved and disallow it for offside. Given the amount of times we have been screwed over by VAR this season, even others around me seem more reserved in their celebrations because it's not a goal until the other team kick off and you definitely know its been given.

Every fan - no matter if its in our favour or not, all around the country should join together and just lambast every VAR decision and let the world know what we think of it.

"It's killing our game, It's killing our game....VAR - its killing our game"

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:14 pm

"it's not a goal until the other team kick off and you definitely know its been given"

That is how I view every goal scored in every game in the top flight now.

Until the other team has kicked off again I just think what is VAR are going to find this time.

Football is about "In the Moment". Well it used to be anyway.

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Overchuffed wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:11 pm
Exactly this - if you can't tell from looking at with one or two different angles straight away then its not clear and obvious and they should go with the ref on the pitch.
that was pretty clear from only a couple of different angles.
var is still ****, mind.

ornchurch ammer

Post by ornchurch ammer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:19 pm

Overchuffed wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:10 pm
Time added on question:

So with the Man City penalty one the other night, the referee doesn't give the penalty (foul committed 35:59), play continues for just 2 minutes, before the ball goes out and Mike "It's all about you" Dean is then told to give a penalty and signals for pen (38:04).
Therefore, anything that happened in those (just under) 2 minutes of football would have effectively not contributed to the outcome at all, as any goals scored or potential red card fouls would never have 'effectively' happened if the penalty was given straight away. Does that 2 minutes get added on at the end of the half, on top of the actual stoppage for the ref to receive instructions, as technically its time played that doesn't count.

The sooner we bin VAR the better.
If City had scored the goal would have stood and the penalty not given.
If Spurs had scored then it would have been disallowed and the penalty awarded.

As the ref does not review a screen themselves it begs the question why does the ball have to go dead before the ref can whistle and give the penalty?

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:59 pm

I admit I was for it, but now I hate it. Whilst it is managed by PGMOL it will continue to exacerbate their incompetence. The delays, inconsistencies, stupid minutiae of decision etc. etc. adds nothing to the 'entertainment' value whatsoever. I really (now) don't care if the on-field referees decision is right or wrong, just f**king get on with it!!

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:03 pm

VAR is the worst thing to happen to football since Bosman

bigcarpchaser

Post by bigcarpchaser » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:26 pm

I’m not a fan. The game should be the same from top to bottom.
I’d advocate 2 additional assistant refs rubbing the lines and enjoy the old fashioned arguments we. Used to have pre-var.
Would be miles cheaper to implement as well and might have the added benefit of being more refs through the system.

ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:43 pm

With VAR decisions I think the best answer is to stop the clock (you never get accurate injury time added on) or just kick off immediately and wait for the next stoppage.

Might be difficult for fans to accept but the players should just carry on playing. If a goal gets chopped off then 4th official informs manager then subsequently announces to stadium. The team should not be waiting idly for the kick off.

Also side point. I don't think I've seen a team use that review period well enough to get round the management team and listen to any adjustments.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:46 pm

I was in favour

But it’s ****ing ****

They’ll completely change it in the summer

But not before it’s helped win Liverpool the title and helped relegate us

Oldammer

Post by Oldammer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:22 am

I've always thought this and I'm sure many people will laugh.

Why are the replays played in slow motion? The game isn't.

The fella who's making the decision miles away has thirty seconds max to view the incident at normal speed, just as the fans and the ref see it. If he's not sure, the original decision stands.

Jumby

Post by Jumby » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:27 am

VAR coupled with us being so pitifully s**t has made me think "Football - yes or no?"