👋 Farewell, Pablo Fornals

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: Pablo Fornals

Post by stu1 »

Gsbgsb wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:41 pm For me when he came on against Villa he showed he had the skill to play in the Premier but his speed of thought and decision making could be better. First 20 minutes against Man Utd at the weekend were similar, we were desperately missing the link that Lanzini offers be that.
Whilst it is obviously ridiculous to be writing him off now, I have to say I’m surprised at his speed of thought and decision making.

I would have thought these would be two of his main qualities being a Spanish midfielder. I think this is where some of the frustration with him is coming from, he’s perceived strengths actually seem to be his weaknesses so far, which is a little concerning.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Big adjustment for the lad stu1. The game is played at breakneck speed in England compared to what he's used to
kentishiron
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by kentishiron »

At this stage last season people had completely written off Anderson... give the lad some time
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

agree give him some time before we slag him off. just joined a new club, new country and it takes time to settle.

shows glimpses of what he is about but needs to quicken up and get his passing accuracy up. in time I am sure he will. should start tonight for game time.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:02 pm Can't boo Masuaku these days. Carlos doesn't provide as much opportunity to boo. Up you step Pablo.

There are no guarantees he will come good. But I am still very hopeful. He has a good attitude from what I can tell. Fans can be so annoying.
how about we dont boo anyone

ive never boo'd a player, and i aint going to start now...it aint a pantomime, and im 43! :)
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Only having an unproven Ajeti to cover for Haller should be much more of a concern in my opinion.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I actually thought he looked a lot better against Man United. I think this little spell whilst lanzini is out is perfect for him. My worry is we will opt to use Wilshere instead.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

how about we support all the players wearing our shirt. I am 55 and never booed a west ham player.
I have slagged off ogbonna fredericks Arthur cresswell noble etc but fully support them when they are on the pitch

lets hope no more injuries with lanzini back after the palace game and antonio at Christmas.

ajeti to get a few sub appearances and a few goals would be good as well.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

frankiemac wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 am
how about we dont boo anyone

ive never boo'd a player, and i aint going to start now...it aint a pantomime, and im 43! :)
I look forward to playing Everton, for sentimental reasons..

woodford
Has liked: 421 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

frankiemac wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 am how about we dont boo anyone

Bang on Frankie, never understood what makes grown men pay good money, leave the house, travel to the ground, then boo a player of the very team they claim to support. But each to their own i suppose
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

frankiemac wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 am how about we dont boo anyone

This.

I think it is so destructive booing your own players. It will never improve a players performance and more likely make them retreat into their shell.

If it is actively making the team play worse, seems a stupid thing to do to me.

I remember back in the 1980’s when David Kelly joined and how the boo boys destroyed his confidence. Seems madness to me.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:57 am I am 55 and never booed a west ham player.
That’s total destroyed my mental picture of you and your lists hammerman11.

I imagined you as a teenager. :D
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

young at heart and mad as hell about west ham !
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:50 am Only having an unproven Ajeti to cover for Haller should be much more of a concern in my opinion.
Depends on how you define unproven.

Unproven in the Premier League? So is/was Haller before the start of the season.

Unproven throughout his career? Scored 29 goals in 58 games for Basel, has played in the Champions League.

Like Fornals, Ajeti needs some time - but is a very promising player.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Looks a bit tentative some of the time, looks like he's trying a bit too hard to force things at others. Has shown some nice touches and passes in between, but nothing that's quite led to an end result yet.

He hasn't set the world alight, but that's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a young man acclimatising to a new league, new home, new team-mates, new language, etc, etc. Confident he'll have been seen to have come good by the end of the season, which is when we can make a better judgement on him.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

He needs game time to adjust to the pace and physicality of the Prem.
I'm sure he's quality and his attitude is fine, so, with a cup run or 2, some sub appearences and a few starts due to absences of other players, come the spring, we'll have a proper player on our hands.
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

Needs time and time is on his side

You could see in the second half against Man U that when gets on the ball he can spread the play beautifully.

His little bit light weight at this stage but hopefully with age and confidence he will get stuck in a tad more

Far from giving up hope on him yet. Let’s not forget he played 90 minutes in a team that bossed Man U which rarely ever happens to us. He can’t be hurting us that bad
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

I think he's trying to play too fast sometimes because of the hype of the speed of the Premier League. If he just took a little longer I think he has the ability to make the right runs and play the right ball at the right time.
Same as in quite a few positions on the field we have 2 quality players for the #10 spot with him and Lanzini.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Not sure anyone is suggesting that picking Fornals in the current situation is “hurting us” just that as things stand he does not replace a fit Lanzini or Noble in a first choice 11, same for Wilshere who is probably his direct competition for a spot at the moment. This of course may change as he acclimatises to the English game. Having the likes of him and Wilshere as “back up” simply shows the strength we currently have in this area.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

At half-time on Sunday I said to my mate I thought he'd been ineffective, but by the end of the game my opinion had totally changed. I think he could be a serious player later in the season. For those with short memories Antonio only played about 10 mins before Xmas in his first season with us, and was being written off as a flop by many.