Hammers on Loan 2019/20

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Re: Hammers on Loan 2019/20

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:19 am

'He's brilliant' - How Les Ferdinand is helping Jordan Hugill to thrive at QPR

QPR striker Jordan Hugill has revealed that the club's director of football and Premier League legend Les Ferdinand has played a key role in helping him to settle in to his new surroundings.

The 27-year-old came off the bench to score his sixth goal of the season in the 4-2 win over Blackburn Rovers on Saturday after arriving on loan from West Ham United in the summer.

And Hugill revealed that the advice and support he is receiving from Ferdinand is helping him to improve as a player.

"Les is brilliant. Sometimes after games I'll go and see him and say 'what can I do better?' because he's someone that I can learn off," he said after the win over Blackburn.

"When it's someone as good as he was you can only learn from people like that so it's brilliant to have someone like that at the club.

"He's mentioned to me before that he wanted to sign me a long time ago so it's pleasing to hear that these people have watched you for a long time and respect you that much that they want you in that team to try and do well for them.

"You look at what he has (done) and it's just brilliant to have someone like that at the club who has scored as many goals as he has, played in as many games and has been at the highest level.

"I've seen him (play) a few times, especially when he was at Newcastle with Alan Shearer. I always ask him about Alan Shearer because he was one of my favourite players.

"It's been brilliant, the lads have been brilliant and all the staff and everyone at the club has been brilliant with me so I've settled in relatively easy."

This season marks his second Championship loan spell in two seasons, having spent the last campaign at Middlesbrough where he scored seven goals in all competitions.

Hugill admits that being just one off his total from the last campaign at such an early stage of the season has given him huge confidence and is targeting both his and QPR's return to the Premier League.

He added: "I think it's brilliant confidence for me personally. Seven goals all season last season and now I'm one off that record.

"It's one of them things where I can only improve on what I did last year so if I can improve on that this early then who knows where I can go.

"I believe personally that I'm a Premier League player. For me now my focus is to get QPR in the Premier League.

"I'm sure they're (West Ham) keeping tabs and doing what they do but for me personally I'm just focused on what I'm doing here.

"It's not about me getting into the Premier League by myself, I want to get this club into the Premier League.

"For me personally that's my aim, I don't care what goes on individually, this is about a team and a good team at their best.

"To get back on track before the international break was really important."
https://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-6308875

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:22 am

Fulham 2 Charlton 2 - Addicks pegged back twice at Craven Cottage
Charlton left Craven Cottage with a point after being pegged back twice in an entertaining four-goal outing in West London.
Charlton should’ve struck first on 20 minutes but Darren Pratley’s header from a wicked Josh Cullen delivery was straight at Marcus Bettinelli in the Fulham goal.
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/179 ... n-cottage/

Fulham 2 Charlton 2 - Player ratings from Craven Cottage
Josh Cullen 8

Influential both in defence and attack. Against a highly experienced and quality midfield the West Ham man more than held his own. Turns defence into attack in seconds.
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/179 ... n-cottage/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:29 am

RBK KEEPER HANSEN SLAUGHTERS ROSENBORG AFTER ANOTHER LOSS: - I'M VERY TIRED

(Haugesund - Rosenborg 2-1) Haugesund lowered Rosenborg when coach Eirik Hornelands was met with a "Judas banner" on his old home ground. Afterwards, RBK keeper André Hansen slaughtered his own team.
First, Rosenborg Haugesund's lead was leveled by Bjørn Maars Johnsen after 83 minutes of play. Spissen scored his third goal after coming to Rosenborg after turning by two Haugesund players in a delicious way and coldly put the ball into goal.

But then it was only about a minute before it went the opposite way. Martin Samuelsen scored in his third game in a row for the home team when he beautifully took back the lead directly from the wonderful pass from teammate Desler.

And the victory tasted good for Haugesund, who has struggled at home with poor results. On Sunday, it took over 50 minutes for some of the teams to take note of a real goal in Haugesund, but then put the ball in return in the net masks behind André Hansen.

For then, Martin Samuelsen had stepped through Niklas Sandberg so he had free way towards the RBK goal. There he made no mistake and sent the ball aside for Hansen to 1-0.
https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/b5d8O ... -moekk-lei

André Hansen slaughtered his own team when Haugesund beat Rosenborg: - Not a hint of development
Erik Horneland was back in Haugesund for the first time after the turbulent farewell. It should not be a pleasant experience for the Rosenborg coach.
A corner kick created great disorder in the penalty area with a goal nearly scored by Tagseth. Haugesund took the lead after a pattern check straight out of the textbook, directed by Martin Samuelsen after Haugesund cleared away an RBK corner.

Samuelsen played nicely through to Nicklas Sandberg who alone with André Hansen was freezing and put the ball safely into the near corner.

- A twin attack that's more than enough. The two have begun to figure out the relationships, Myhre said at the commentary site at Eurosport.
The thrones should not be in heaven for too long. Only a minute later, Haugesund was up with a new score.

Mikkel Desler found Samuelsen on the run and the hired striker was cold and good alone with Hansen in the RBK goal. With his left foot, Samuelsen put the ball down the left corner.

The TV pictures showed that Samuelsen may have been in a slight offside before the score, but the flag was held down.

Thus, Haugesund returned to the lead only one minute after Rosenborg's equalization. Rosenborg tried an end sprint on the tamp, but the home team managed to resist.

Thus, Haugesund won the match 2-1 in Hornelands return.
Home team coach Jostein Grindhaug was naturally a happy man after the win.

- Now we have to hunt for another victory to secure the place in the Elite series. I think we were good, suddenly we have a tip. One would think that we had enchanted Martin (Samuelsen) into a good footballer. What he delivers today is very good, Grindhaug told Eurosport after the match.
https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/andre-h ... 57435.html

Highlights

https://www.vgtv.no/185806?jwsource=cl

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:38 am

West Brom 4 Cardiff City 2 - Report and pictures

After slipping to a first league defeat of the season at Leeds on Tuesday, Slaven Bilic's side returned to winning ways in a breathtaking game at The Hawthorns.

The Baggies were 3-0 up after 70 minutes with Matheus Pereria, Grady Diangana and Charlie Austin all on taget.

That scoreline was no more than Bilic's side deserved with Albion, overall, comfortably the better team.
Bilic made one change to the team that fell to defeat at Leeds on Tuesday when naming his starting line-up.

Up front, Charlie Austin came back into the side with Hal Robson-Kanu the man to make way.

It meant Albion continued in their 4-2-3-1 system with Matt Phillips on the right-wing, Grady Diangana on the left and Matheus Pereira in the number 10 role.
Austin then looked certain to score when Diangana danced his way to the byline before cutting the ball back for the forward.

The 30-year-old met the delivery just yards from goal.

But yet again, Smithies produced an outstanding save to keep the ball out.

In the 42nd minute, though, Bilic's side did double their advantage.

Jake Livermore charged forward before finding Diangana.

And the West Ham loanee then raced towards goal before lashing a spectacular strike into the bottom corner from 25-yards.

Albion were forced into a change early in the second-half with Diangana coming off with a minor knock to be replaced by Kyle Edwards.
Albion (4-2-3-1): Johnstone, Furlong, Ajayi, Bartley, Ferguson, Livermore, Sawyers, Phillips (Krovinovic 73), Pereira, Diangana (Edwards 52), Austin (Zohore 81).

Subs not used: Bond, O'Shea, Gibbs, Robson-Kanu.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -pictures/

West Brom 4 Cardiff 2 - Player ratings

GRADY DIANGANA

A full-back's nightmare, Diangana is great when he stays wide and looks to beat his marker before getting crosses into the box. But he is ever more devastating when he cuts inside. The West Ham loanee combined beautifully with Pereira for the Brazilian's goal. He then went on to score with an equally spectacular strike himself. Subbed with an Achilles problem, fans will have been relieved to hear Bilic say he doesn't think it's serious. 8
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... r-ratings/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:40 am

Exclusive: West Ham goalkeeper Nathan Trott on AFC Wimbledon switch – and how AFC Bournemouth man helped seal the deal

When Nathan Trott was told he could leave West Ham on loan in the summer, he saw a club in AFC Wimbledon with a reputation for giving young goalkeepers an opportunity.

In recent seasons, George Long, Tom King and Aaron Ramsdale have been signed on loan at a young age and been the first-choice goalkeeper during their respective temporary stays.

Nik Tzanev, aged 22 but signed from Brentford at 19, progressed to make his senior debut for the Dons earlier this campaign.

Ramsdale was a huge success as part of the club’s escape from relegation last season and has since become the regular AFC Bournemouth goalkeeper. The 21-year-old also played a role in Trott’s move to Wimbledon.

“There were quite a few League One teams who were interested in me,” said Trott. “From West Ham’s side, they wanted me to stay relatively close.

“Wimbledon was probably the closest one, it was only an hour-and-a-bit away from West Ham’s training ground. It was easier for both parties.

“One of my England team-mates, Ramsdale, was there last season. He was telling me about how it’s a good club, it’s a club that will give you games and they have a history of having young English goalkeepers. It was a no-brainer just to come here and get the experience.

“They have a history of having good goalkeepers. When you’re in goal at Wimbledon, there’s a lot to do and the fans are right behind you. Even from the time I’ve been here, you know the fans will love you right from the start.

“You can make a mistake and they will still be behind you, they will still be positive around you, no matter what the result is.

“I can understand why the goalkeepers do really well. It’s just positivity around you and that can only have a positive effect on you.

“My focus is just on getting as many games as I can, everyone’s situation in the first team is a bit different. It depends on a lot of things for me.

“I don’t know what his [Ramsdale’s] situation was at Bournemouth, but I’m concentrating on myself, it’s a long season ahead.

“I want to try to get as many games in and try to have a positive impact on the team, then we’ll see how it goes next year.”
Trott is just 20 but his fledgling career has already taken him from Bermuda where he was born, to Valencia where he was still a versatile outfield player. He took on roles at left back, in midfield and on the wing and admits learning the Spanish style of football has had a positive effect on his ability with the ball at his feet when in goal.

He then returned to Bermuda to finish school but that was where his goalkeeping career took off at the age of 14 following a chance injury to the national youth team’s goalkeeper during a tournament in which Trott subsequently won man of the match “in most of the games”.

Trott moved to England and had trials at Crystal Palace and Reading before an agent linked to his cousin – the former Millwall youngster Brandon Phillips – helped him settle at West Ham.

His progress was recognised with a call-up to the England U21 squad during the last international window.

“[England] contacted West Ham and West Ham contacted my coaches at Wimbledon,” said Trott.

“There were talks around a potential call-up but nothing was 100 per cent until the day before when I got a message from one of the coaches from England saying I’d been called up. I wasn’t expecting it to be so early.

“I thought it would take longer for me to get some first-team games before getting a call-up, but it was a good moment for me.

“It’s what I’ve been working for since I got into the England set up, so it’s a good achievement for me and my family are really proud. It was good to be involved.

“I wouldn’t say it was difficult [choosing to play for England], but I saw it as a step in my career and people understood why I did it.

“It’s all about playing at a high level, raising my game and I’m learning more.

“You can only improve if you look at training with England compared to Bermuda. You’re seen as being one of the best players in the country, it’s only a good thing.”

At the end of the season, Trott will return to West Ham where he has won the ‘Premier League 2’ Save of the Season for the last two years. The Hammers – dumped out of the FA Cup by Wimbledon last season – have an academy with a reputation for producing first team players.

Declan Rice is the most notable current graduate, but defenders Reece Oxford and Ben Johnson, and midfielder Conor Coventry, have also made their senior bows. Under Manuel Pellegrini, Trott knows he is in with a chance of being the next in line.

“He [Pellegrini] is a really motivating coach.

“He’s not just there coaching, he has a really good relationship with all the players. Especially the young players, he’s always asking if you’re okay, asking how things are going in your personal life.

“He always knows what’s going on and that’s important for young players, that he knows about you and is watching all the time.

“It urges you to do well, because you know the more you perform then the more chances you have.

“Whether that’s getting called up to the first team or whether it’s getting put on the bench, or maybe coming on in a league game or a cup game.

“It’s given a positive vibe around the academy and it’s helpful to know you can get the chance.”
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/excl ... -the-deal/

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:55 pm

EFL Trophy Fixtures:

Nathan Trott

Nathan made his first appearance in the tournament as Wimbledon beat Leyton Orient 3-0. He saved a second-half penalty with the score at 2-0.

MATCH REPORT:
“a 3-0 victory that was also achieved with a superb penalty save from Nathan Trott that came with the game still in the balance at 2-0.”
“Dale Gorman stepped up and struck a fine effort from 12 yards that was bound for the bottom corner, but Nathan Trott dived to his right to save superbly.”

LIVE TWEETS:
71’ A penalty now to Orient....
71’ Great save from ‪Nathan Trott‬ to deny Dale Gorman's penalty. Still 2-0 to The Dons.

Next Match: Sat 12th October vs Southend (a)

Dapo Afolayan

Dapo made his full debut for Mansfield, playing the full match in a 1-1 draw with Crewe. He scored his penalty in the shoot out, which Mansfield lost 3-4.

LIVE TWEETS:

14’ Afolayan is brought down after a quick turn of pace, giving ‪Mansfield‬ a free-kick 30 yards from goal.
PK: Confident finish by Afolayan! 2-1

Next Match: Sat 12th October vs Oldham (h)

Aji Alese

not in squad

Next Match: Sat 12th October vs Rochdale (a)

OP UPDATED

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 am

AFC Wimbledon survive late fightback to finally chalk off a League One win – with Marcus Forss straight back on goal trail

Rochdale remained lively and Dons keeper Nathan Trott pulled off a stunning save.

Unfortunately he was left exposed again and again – the 3-0 lead becoming a needed cushion.

Dale sub Ian Henderson scored in the 66th minute. Then another was ruled out for offside to leave home supporters’ nerves jangling.
AFC Wimbledon (3-5-2): Trott 7, Wagstaff 8, Nightingale 6, Thomas 6, Kalambayi 6, Osew 8, Wordsworth 8 (Hartigan 85), Sanders 8, Pinnock 8 (Reilly 90+2), Forss 8 (Folivi 74) , Pigott 7. Not used: Tzanev, Appiah, Stabana, Guinness-Walker.
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/afc- ... oal-trail/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 am

MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town again lose Trophy penalties shoot-out after draw with Crewe
Mansfield Town once again lost a penalty shoot-out after drawing 1-1 in the Leasing.com Trophy as Crewe Alexandra came away from the One Call Stadium with the extra point from tonight’s group game.
In the end, penalty misses by Andy Cook and Alistair Smith left Stags needing a win in the final group game at Burton to hope they can stay in the competition.

It was still a useful work-out for a mostly second string Stags with defenders Matt Preston and Ryan Sweeney rock solid and striker Dapo Afolayan having a very impressive first half.
Forwards Afolayan, Cook and Knowles led the line for the Stags with Afolayan making his full debut.
Afolayan made it 2-1 to Stags, sending Richards the wrong way before Pickering did the same to Olejnik for 2-2.
STAGS: Olejnik, Preston, Shaughnessy, Sweeney, Clarke, Tomlinson (Mellis 52, Benning 71), Smith, Hamilton, Afolayan, Cook, Knowles (Khan 83). SUBS NOT USED: Stone, Maynard, Gordon, Sketchley.
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... 1-10041033

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:22 am

West Ham loanee Dapo Afolayan shows his class in a Mansfield Town shirt at last

Mansfield Town fans finally got the chance to see a bit more of West Ham loanee Dapo Afolayan in Tuesday’s Leasing.com Trophy draw with Crewe – and will have been impressed by a sensational first half hour.

“Dapo is a very good technical player – that’s why he got his move from Solihull to West Ham. We see him every day in training,” said Dempster.

“But what impressed me was the distance he covered. He was pressing all over the pitch. He ran himself into the ground. And he hasn’t played for a while so that’s probably why he faded towards the end.”

He continued: “It’s been quite a tough month for Dapo as he’s not had a lot of game time. He’s got a lot of competition for a place.

“He has moved up from London to make sure he can commit fully.

“He is a good player who has fitted well into the squad and someone who brings something slightly different to the table as well, which is important.”
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/w ... 1-10044711

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:26 am

Mansfield Town 6 v 1 Oldham Athletic: Nicky Maynard scores first-half hat-trick as Stags thrash nine-man Latics

Magnificent Mansfield Town stormed to a 6-1 home victory over nine-men Oldham Athletic to secure their first back-to-back wins of the season in a sensational game.

Nicky Maynard was the hero with a first half hat-trick before setting up Dapo Afolayan for his first Stags goal.
Afolayan replaced MacDonald in Stags’ second change on the hour before Pearce saw Mansfield’s first yellow card for tripping Smith.

Goal number five came on 66 minutes as Stags broke from an Oldham free kick and Maynard looked set to go clear. But as he was tackled he just managed to thread the ball to Afolayan to roll in at the far post.
A controversial penalty decision against Hamer as he tackled Afolayan on 84 minutes gifted Knowles the chance of his first League goal on 84 minutes and he calmly sent Woods the wrong way to make it six.
STAGS: Logan; Sweeney, Pearce, Shaughnessy; Gordon, MacDonald (Afolayan 60), Bishop, Benning; Maynard (Knowles 69), Rose (Cook 54), Khan. Subs not used: Stone, Tomlinson, Hamilton, Smith.
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... 1-10048167

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Looks like he might kick on now after some disappointing spells.

A goal and penalty earned, hopefully enough for a start next time out.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Just read that article with Hugill. I counted him saying "brilliant" at least seven times. Reckon he must be like this in filmed interviews

docarnie

Post by docarnie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:15 pm

See above Mansfield hat-trick hero - Nicky Maynard - I'd forgotten about him - scored for us in the Championship play-off semi in 2012, then sold to Cardiff, where he had ACL injury almost immediately. Disappointing & nomadic career since, but good to see him having a late revival in fortunes.

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Do you agree with our ratings for Mansfield Town's players in the 6-1 thrashing of Oldham?
12. DAPO AFOLAYAN 9
Building on his fine first half in midweek, sub Afolayan scored one and won a penalty in a thrilling half-hour appearance. His confidence and fitness will grow game by game.
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/d ... 248?page=3

Mansfield Town’s demolition job on Oldham Athletic ‘the best we’ve played,’ says on loan West Ham United forward Dapo Afolayan
Dapo Afolayan says Mansfield Town’s demolition job on Oldham Athletic was the best he has seen from the Stags since joining the club.

The 22-year-old scored within minutes of replacing Alex MacDonald in Saturday’s rout and was later tripped to earn a penalty which Jimmy Knowles tucked away.

Afolayan impressed during his half-an-hour cameo against a club he represented during the second half of last season, on loan from his parent club West Ham United.

And the on loan forward is looking to continue his recent form.

“It was a good game for me to come on in,” he said. “There was space for me to attack the other team’s defence and I just wanted to make an impression.

“I played well on Tuesday night [against Crewe in the EFL Trophy] and I wanted to carry that on. I feel like I need to get game-time and to keep pushing.

“I’m hitting really good form in training as well, so it’s good to get a goal and an assist.”

A Nicky Maynard hat-trick set Stags on their way against Oldham who were reduced to nine men towards the end of the first half, but Afolayan believes the sendings off had little impact on the overall outcome.

“It was a great performance and the best we’ve played since I’ve been here,” he said.

“Even before they went down to nine men we dominated the game. We were 2-0 up and the team were creating chances. 11-v-11 we were still the better team.

“People might look at how many men they had and make false things up but we were the better team no matter what.”

Stags’ victory sealed back-to-back wins in League Two for the first time this season to move within five points of the play-off spots.

“It gives us massive confidence,” he said. “We know out start to the season hasn’t been the best. We’ve got way too much quality to be where we are in the league.

“I know we’re going to keep climbing the league. We’ve got some good games coming up.

“Teams are going to look at our form and going to start to fear us and so they should because we’ve got too much quality in this squad to not be towards the top of the league.”
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... 1-10049278

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Weekend Fixtures:

Nathan Trott

Nathan played as Wimbledon moved out of the relegation zone with a 4-1 win at struggling Southend.

Next Match: Sat 19th October vs Portsmouth (h)

Dapo Afolayan

Dapo played 29 minutes as Mansfield crushed nine-man Oldham (who he played for on loan last season) 6-1. He scored the 5th goal and won a penalty that was converted for the 6th.

MATCH REPORT:
“Despite the Latics’ best defensive efforts, Maynard raced upfield from Oldham’s set-piece before setting substitute Afolayan to notch his maiden goal in amber and blue.”
“Teenage substitute Jimmy Knowles bagged his first league goal with a cool penalty after Hamer had brought down Afolayan with six minutes remaining.”

LIVE TWEETS:

61: John Dempster makes his second change as Afolayan comes on for MacDonald.
66: DAPO! Maynard spearheads a stunning counter, putting the ball on a plate for Afolayan, who rolls home into the empty net to make it five!
82: Penalty! Afolayan is brought down by Hamer. Knowles sends Woods the wrong way with his spot-kick to register his first ever league goal!
86: A lovely touch by Afolayan in the area gets him into a promising position, but his cross is claimed by Woods.

Next Match: Sat 19th October vs Forest Green (a)

Aji Alese

not in squad

Next Match: Sun 20th October vs Ipswich (h)

OP UPDATED

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:47 am

Striker Jordan Graham marks return from injury in style with goal for Mansfield Town reserves
A young Stags side, including first team stars Hamilton, Will Tomlinson and Dapo Afolayan, had been behind since the half-hour mark when James Hardy fired a loose ball past Aidan Stone from 18 yards into the top left corner.
STAGS RESERVES: Stone, Gibbens, Walker, Hamilton, Smith, Tomlinson, Fielding (Graham 62), Knowles, Afolayan, Clarke, Law. UNUSED SUBS: Campbell, Chisholm, Sketchley, Tomlin.
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/s ... 1-10052963

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 am

Championship: Hull City 2 QPR 3
Ebere Eze converted two second-half penalties to help QPR to a deserved victory at Hull.
QPR: Kelly, Rangel, Leistner, Barbet, Manning, Scowen, Cameron, Osayi-Samuel (Pugh 62), Chair (Amos 83), Eze, Wells (Hugill 62).

Unused subs: Lumley, Kane, Ball, Mlakar.
https://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-6331707

Middlesbrough 0 West Brom 1 - Report and pictures

He signed a new contract yesterday - but Hal Robson Kanu's week got even better after he netted the only goal as Albion secured a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough.
In what was a keenly contested clash at the Riverside Stadium both teams created chances to win it.

Filip Krovinovic, Jake Livermore and Matheus Pereira all had chances after meeting cut-backs from Grady Diangana.
Bilic was forced into a change when naming his starting line-up with Matt Phillips missing the trip to the North East with a minor shin problem.

It meant Filip Krovinovic came back into the team with the Benfica loanee taking over duties in the number 10 role.

That meant Matheus Pereira switched to the right flank with Grady Diangana on the left in Bilic's 4-2-3-1 system.
It was Albion who started the game on the front foot with Bilic's men getting into dangerous areas right from the off.

They almost opened the scoring when Diangana did well to bundle his way to the byline before sending in a low cross which found Krovinovic.

From close range, the Croatian then looked to curl a strike into the corner but his effort was brilliantly blocked by Ryan Shotton.
Bilic's men weathered the storm and came close to breaking the deadlock once again with Diangana doing more good work to get to the byline.

This time he picked out Jake Livermore with a low cross but the midfielder then scuffed a shot off target.
Albion had got most of their enjoy in the first-half through Diangana.

And that continued to be the case following the re-start with the West Ham loanee doing brilliantly to nut-meg Fry before picking out Livermore.

Once again, though, Shotton was in the right place to make a brilliant block to keep Bilic's side at bay.
Moments later the Baggies threatened again when Diangana hit the byline once more.

This time he cut the ball back to Pereira but Shotton was in the right place to make another well-timed block.
That miss proved to be costly with Albion then opening the scoring in the 82nd minute.

After Sawyers and Diangana combined, Edwards then saw a shot blocked.

And the ball then fell kindly for Robson-Kanu who tapped in from just a yard.

From that point, the Baggies managed the game well.
Albion (4-2-3-1): Johnstone, Furlong, Bartley, Ajayi, Ferguson, Livermore (Hegazi 90), Sawyers, Krovinovic (Edwards 62), Pereira, Diangana, Austin (Robson-Kanu 62).

Subs not used: Bond, O'Shea, Brunt, Townsend.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -pictures/

Middlesbrough 0 West Brom 1 - Player ratings

GRADY DIANGANA

Time and time again the winger managed to get to the byline and pick out a man – with Boro simply unable to live with his trickery. A mixture of good defending and poor finishing meant he sometimes got frustrated with his team mates. But Diangana got his reward in the end by playing a key role in the winning goal. A fantastic display. 9
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... lesbrough/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:49 am

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Derby County - report and reaction as Rams are well beaten

It was a disappointing day for Phillip Cocu's men as they saw their five-match unbeaten run ended in emphatic style at The Valley on Saturday afternoon
Roos did well to keep out Josh Cullen as the Charlton midfielder went one-on-one with the Rams keeper.

Charlton doubled their lead three minutes into the second half, helped by some shocking defending by Derby at a set piece.

Cullen sent over a corner, Roos and his defenders were caught out, and Sarr headed in at the back post.
CHARLTON ATHLETIC: Philips; Lockyer, Pratley, Sarr; Solly, Cullen, Williams (Field, 32), Gallagher (Kayal, 78), Forster-Caskey; Leko, Bonne (Hemed, 74).

Other subs: Amos (gk), Oshilaja, Pearce, Oztumer.
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... on-3443117

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:43 am

MATCH REPORT: Andy Cook off the mark with crucial brace as Mansfield Town fight back for battling draw at Forest Green Rovers

Sub Andy Cook picked the perfect time to open his Mansfield Town goals account with a brilliant brace as the battling Stags fought back from two behind to snatch a fine 2-2 away draw at high-flying Forest Green Rovers this afternoon.
MANSFIELD: Logan, Gordon, Pearce, Preston, Benning, Shaughnessy, Bishop, Tomlinson (Cook 45), Hamilton (Afolyan 58), Maynard (Knowles 90+3), Khan. SUBS NOT USED: Olejnik, Clarke, Sterling-James, Smith.
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... 1-10058729

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Getting to the byline and cutting the ball back to a teammate sounds exactly like what we need.