Hammers on Loan 2019/20

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Re: Hammers on Loan 2019/20

Post by sanchoz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:58 am

Stoke 0 WBA 2 - Report and pictures

Goals from Matt Phillips and Hal Robson-Kanu saw Albion return to the top of the Championship with a 2-0 win at Stoke.
After being red-carded in that match, Nathan Ferguson served the first of a three-match ban with Conor Townsend coming in at left-back.

Otherwise the Baggies continued in Bilic’s favoured 4-2-3-1 system with Charlie Austin the lone striker, Matheus Pereira in the number 10 role and Grady Diangana and Phillips on the wings.
Albion began the match on the front foot with Bilic’s men playing with a real intensity in the opening 10 minutes.

And that positivity got the rewards it deserved when they opened the scoring with an excellently worked team goal.

After Sam Johnstone found Townsend on the left, the full-back moved the ball on to Diangana out wide.

A clever one-two with Jake Livermore then allowed the West Ham loanee to hit the byline.

And from there he sent in a pin-point low cross from which Phillips side-footed home.
For the Baggies the changes proved inspired with Bilic’s men getting their second just five minutes later - with Robson-Kanu and Krovinovic both heavily involved.

First the striker did well to hold the ball up and find the Croatian, who then played a lovely pass to Diangana in the box.

And he was then seized down by Carter-Vickers with referee Timothy Robinson having little choice but to point to the spot.

Robson-Kanu then stood over the penalty and calmly rolled the ball past Butland for his third goal in four games.
Albion (4-2-3-1): Johnstone, Furlong, Ajayi, Bartley, Townsend, Livermore, Sawyers, Phillips (Brunt 83), Pereira (Krovinovic 62), Diangana, Austin (Robson-Kanu 62).

Subs not used: Bond, Hegazi, Edwards, Zohore
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -pictures/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 am

Stoke City 0 West Brom 2: Match report on yet another depressing night for rapidly sinking Potters
Stoke City have enjoyed a spooky Jekyll & Hyde relationship with West Bromwich Albion over the last three decades.

Beaten only once by Albion in 34 league meetings between 1988 and 2015, Stoke have now won just one in 10 since 2015.

Sadly, and all too predictably for many at this end of the M6, Stoke were outclassed once again this season when it came to defending at one end and scoring at the other.
But the game wasn’t even eight minutes old when Albion almost walked the ball linto the net for the night’s first goal.

Grady Diangana, the West Ham loanee making a name for himself this sesason, played a one-two in virtual slow motion and then steered his return pass across the face of the Stoke goal for Matt Phillips to tap home with enough time to put a bet on himself grabbing the first goal.

It may or may not have been vintage Albion; it was, sadly, vintage Stoke.
But Stoke’s chances of redemption deteriorated on 66 when Albion worked an opening for Diangana and Carter-Vickers, losing his head momentarily, steamed in with an awfully-mistimed challenge that left the referee no option but to point to the spot.

Hal Robson-Kanu, with just about his first touch, duly sent Butland the wrong way to double Albion’s lead.
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... rt-3501636

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am

Five things we learned: Charlton 0 Preston 1 - a positive in defeat?

Schedule taking a toll on depleted squad

The Championship is relentless.

On the back tough encounters with Derby, Bristol City and West Brom, maybe the fixture against Preston was one game too many.

Not known as a fashionable side, it may be hard to get yourself motivated against Preston, especially after the emotions of two dramatic late shows at Ashton Gate and The Hawthorns.

Charlton looked tired on Sunday, and for those who played, especially in the middle of the park they looked a little leggy.

Fitness is key for Charlton and Bowyer has got his side amongst the fittest in the division, but with so many injuries and the inability to rotate the Cullens, Gallaghers, Pratleys, it may be starting to show.

That said, with a weeks rest and the carrot of a huge London derby to get fired up for next weekend, I can’t imagine the players will find it difficult to get up for Millwall away.
Creativity is an issue

Gallagher probed and dribbled with the little success, while Josh Cullen’s game was nullified by a very professional and wiley Preston side.
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/180 ... ve-defeat/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:15 am

AN EMPTY SPACE WHERE FOOTBALL SHOULD’VE BEEN
Canny exponents of football’s dark arts, Preston North End clambered to the top of the Championship table with this victory over below-par Charlton.

After going ahead early in the second half, the streetwise Lilywhites handed their rope-a-doped victims a lesson in what is euphemistically called “game management” these days. There are other, less charitable names for it.
An ominous air of weariness, both physical and mental, accompanied Lee Bowyer’s brothers-in-arms to defeat. Depleted by injuries, they have battled bravely against sometimes overwhelming odds in keeping their heads well above water. This assignment against experienced, cynical opponents simply asked too much of them.

Even normally indefatigable midfield dynamo Josh Cullen was subdued but, like his colleagues, lack of effort was not the reason.
Charlton (3-5-2): Phillips 7, Lockyer 6, Pearce 5, Sarr 5 (Leko 46,5), Solly 6, Cullen 5, Gallagher 7, Pratley 7 (Aneke 74,5) Purrington 7, Kayal 6 (Oztumer 89), Bonne 5. Not used: Maynard-Brewer, Oshilaja, Lapslie, Davison.
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/an-e ... ldve-been/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:20 am

Masterstroke by manager
The Dons were in need of a response after going down 1-0 at Burton Albion last week.

A frenetic start gave way to a sustained period of Lincoln pressure, aided by an inability by the hosts to keep the ball.

Michael O’Connor pulled the strings in midfield for the visitors and forced a good save out of Nathan Trott in the Wimbledon net early on.
Lincoln were a counter-attacking threat and Andrade could and should have put the game to bed with 10 minutes to go, but his effort was straight at Trott.
Trott 8, Kalambayi 7, Delaney 5 (O’Neill 51), Thomas 5, Wagstaff 7, Wordsworth 6, Hartigan 6 (McLoughlin 69), Pinnock 7 (Appiah 78), Osew 6, Pigott 8, Forss 7
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/mast ... y-manager/

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Sky Sports News saying we're trying to get Diangana back to West Ham today .

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:27 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:02 pm
Sky Sports News saying we're trying to get Diangana back to West Ham today .

ironsonthebrain

Post by ironsonthebrain » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Good idea - bring him back.

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:38 am

AFC Wimbledon could be missing nine players for FA Cup tie – with boss thankful loanees from West Ham, Brighton, Watford and Rochdale can feature
Glyn Hodges is set to make a late call on his AFC Wimbledon team for tomorrow’s FA Cup first round tie against Doncaster – with fears that he could be without nine first-teamers.

The Dons will definitely be without leading goalscorer Marcus Forss, with parent club Brentford not allowing the Finnish U21 sharpshooter to play in the competition.

And Hodges admits his selection options could have been decimated even further – with four other loan signings on their books.

“We’re just lucky that we’re able to play Nathan Trott, Ryan Delaney, Max Sanders and Michael Folivi – if they are fit,” said the Wimbledon manager. “I 100 per cent understand [Brentford’s stance]. It is one of those things.”
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/afc- ... n-feature/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:25 am

QPR 2 Middlesbrough 2 - Dreadful error costs Rangers victory
A shocking error from striker Nahki Wells ensured the points were split between QPR and Middlesbrough at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

With Rangers leading 2-1, Wells attempted to pass back to goalkeeper Joe Lumley but his ball was intercepted by Britt Assombalonga who cooly converted.
But an awful mistake on 70 minutes allowed the away side back into the game as Wells' back-pass to Lumley was intercepted by Assombalonga, who cooly dinked over the goalkeeper to level the scores.

Rangers went in search of an instant response again as substitute Jordan Hugill's shot was deflected wide before Hall headed straight at Randolph from the resulting corner.
Lumley was forced to tip a curling corner over the bar on 85 minutes but Rangers went close to taking the lead again when Hugill met Todd Kane's deep cross at the back post but headed wide.
https://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-6367117

QPR 2 Middlesbrough 2 - Player ratings
Hugill 5 - Missed two good chances to score for his side.
https://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-6367285

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 am

Championship: Millwall 2 - 1 Charlton Athletic - match report

Matt Smith snatched a dramatic late winner in injury time as Millwall beat rivals Charlton at The Den.
Charlton struggled to cope with the pressure but eventually overcame their shaky start, and twice went close to levelling the scores during the first half.

Josh Cullen’s stinging long-range effort was thwarted by goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski before it then hit the bar and bounced away. The visiting supporters thought they had scored but officials did not signal for a goal.
Charlton: Phillips; Matthews, Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr, Purrington; Pratley (Kayal 67), Cullen, Gallagher; Leko (Lapslie 84), Bonne.

Subs not used: Maynard-Brewer (GK), Solly, Oshilaja, Oztumer and Davison.
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/180 ... ch-report/

Millwall 2 Charlton 1 – Matt Smith heads late winner as Lions’ 23-year unbeaten run against South London rivals continues
Millwall made it six wins from the last 11 fixtures against Charlton – none of them defeats – as Matt Smith headed a late winner at a rain-slicked Den.
On 38 minutes they came so close to an equaliser. Josh Cullen’s shot squirmed up off the diving Bartosz Bialkowski and back down off the crossbar before being cleared.
Charlton: Phillips, Purrington, Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr, Matthews, Pratley, Cullen, Gallagher, Leko, Bonne. Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Kayal, Oshilaja, Oztumer, Solly, Lapslie, Davison.
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/mill ... continues/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am

Bart Bialkowski makes admission after Millwall’s derby victory over Charlton Athletic

“I didn’t see him [Cullen] taking the shot, so I’ve seen the ball late,” said Bialkowski.

“And it swerved a little bit. I’ve gone down to my right side and the ball has hit me there [points to his left wrist]. I parried it away. It was lucky, but sometimes you need to take that.

“I should’ve done better but a save is a save – I’ll take it.

“I was confident it was not over the line. I just saw the picture, it was very close.

“It’s a good job we have got goal-line technology, otherwise the ref might have given the goal for them.”
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/bart ... -athletic/

Championship: Millwall 2 - 1 Charlton Athletic - player ratings

Josh Cullen - 7 - Very unlucky to see his shot rebound off Bialkowski, then the bar and then Bialkowski again. Cullen has been a key figure in Bowyer's midfield for two seasons now, whose return for this campaign has been vital.
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/180 ... r-ratings/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:38 am

Hull City 0 West Brom 1 - Report and pictures

Jake Livermore came back to haunt his former club as Albion battled their way to an impressive 1-0 win at Hull.
For the hosts, Josh Bowler, Kamil Gorsicki and Jarrod Bowen all had good chances to score.

For Albion, Grady Diangana, Matt Phillips and Matheus Pereira all went close.
It meant the Baggies continued in their 4-2-3-1 formation with Matheus Pereira in the number 10 role, Matt Phillips on the right wing and Grady Diangana on the left.
After a keenly contest opening half-hour, it was the hosts who created the game’s first real chance when Diangana was robbed off possession wide on the left.

A wonderful pass from Irvine then played Grosicki clean through on goal.

But while the Polish international took the ball into his stride to enter the box, he then fired wide when he really should have scored.
As is often the case with Bilic’s subs, the change proved to be a positive one with the Baggies settling into a rhythm and creating two excellent chances to extend their lead.

First some lovely build-up play involving Krovinovic saw Sawyers play in Diangana.

But on the angle just eight-yards out, the West Ham loanee then squeezed a strike the wrong side of the post.
Albion 4-2-3-1: Johnstone, Furlong, Ajayi, Bartley, Townsend, Livermore, Sawyers, Phillips (Krovinovic 62), Pereira, Diangana (Edwards 78), Robson-Kanu (Zohore 93).

Subs not used: Bond, Hegazi, Brunt, Austin.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -pictures/

West Brom Player Ratings v Hull

GRADY DIANGANA

The West Ham loanee was lively throughout but at times his touch and end product let him down. Nevertheless, he still gave Hull a lot to think about, whilst also providing protection for Townsend. Should have scored in the second-half to make the game more comfortable. 7
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... gs-v-hull/

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm expecting Haksabanovic to come back absolutely raring to go. Still young and ended the season in really good form.

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Depleted Dons get another chance at progressing in FA Cup
Glyn Hodges’ depleted AFC Wimbledon side were left to fight another day in the FA Cup as they were held to a draw, played in an unrelenting downpour.

Stripped of seven first-team players due to injury, the Dons manager was also without Marcus Forss after parent club Brentford refused to allow him to play.

Doncaster should have gone ahead on the half-hour mark – Kwame Thomas’ close-range header was parried wide by Nathan Trott.

Kieran Sadlier tested Trott’s reflexes before the Dons finally gave a drenched home crowd something to shout about.
AFC Wimbledon (3-5-2): Trott 7, Wagstaff 7, O’Neill 7, Thomas 8, Kalambayi 7, Osew 6 (Guinness-Walker 79), McLoughlin 6 (Reilly 74), Hartigan 6, Pinnock 6, Piggott 6, Appiah 8. Not used: Tzanev, Stabana, Macnab, Robinson, Madelin.
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/depl ... in-fa-cup/

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:43 am

Grady Diangana loving life on loan with West Brom
Grady Diangana is enjoying every moment of his Albion loan spell.
The 21-year-old has been a revelation for the Baggies ever since joining from West Ham in the summer.

Diangana has scored four goals and registered four assists in 15 appearances for Slaven Bilic’s side.

That form has led to speculation the Hammers could recall the winger in January.

But speaking last week, West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini said he believes Diangana needs to continue his development with Albion.

And the player himself admits he couldn’t be happier at The Hawthorns.

“I’m really enjoying my time at West Bromwich Albion,” he said.

“Playing every week is amazing for me and it’s helping me gain a lot of confidence.

“I feel very comfortable at the club and everyone has treated me really well.

“To be a big part of the team shows that Slaven Bilic has trust and confidence in me and that makes me feel special.

“We expected to be good this season. We play good football, we defend well and we attack well.

“We’re a very good team so we’ve always had high hopes and high standards for ourselves.

“The chemistry is good and the feeling in the dressing room is really good. Everything is going well.

“I’m enjoying every moment. I just want to keep improving and keep getting better.”

Diangana is currently away with the England under-21s with the young Lions due to play Albania on Friday and Holland on Tuesday.

“It’s really exciting to come away with England,” the winger added.

“I wasn’t really involved with England when I was younger so, at this stage of my career, it’s really nice to know that I’m in and among the best in the country.

“To represent England is an amazing feeling. The two games will be difficult for different reasons. They are two quality teams. We know the Netherlands and their style of play. Albania will be very direct so it will be good to test ourselves.”
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... west-brom/

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 am

Wasn't aware that Grady had been recalled to the U21s. He's not in the squad on the FA website. Nor is Trott.

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Millwall 2 Charlton 1 – Richard Cawley’s big-match verdict as Addicks’ wait for a win against South London rivals continues

The Lions got lucky when Bartosz Bialkowski dealt unconvincingly with Josh Cullen’s shot – the ball coming back down off the bar before being cleared. The goal-line technology showed that nearly all the ball had crossed it.
It took almost 20 minutes for Charlton to begin to get their own game going after a torrid start and they finished the first period strongly. Bialkowski just about kept out that Cullen attempt and also pushed Macauley Bonne’s first-time volley over his bar.
Charlton (3-5-2): Phillips 7, Lockyer 6, Sarr 4, Pearce 6, Matthews 6, Cullen 7, Pratley 7 (Kayal 67, 5), Gallagher 5, Purrington 6, Leko 6 (Lapslie 84), Bonne 6. Not used: Maynard-Brewer, Oshilaja, Solly, Oztumer.
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/mill ... continues/

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:40 am

Weekend’s Fixtures:

Martin Samuelsen

Martin played as Haugesund beat 5th placed Vkking Stavanger 1-0 to hold on to 8th place in the league with 2 games left to play.

Next Match: Sun 24th November vs Sarpsborg 08 (a)

Nathan Trott

Nathan played as Wimbledon drew 1-1 with Doncaster in the FA Cup first round.

MATCH REPORT:
"Doncaster were denied an opener approaching the half-hour mark when loanee goalkeeper Nathan Trott brilliantly tipped Kwame Thomas' header wide."

LIVE TWEETS:

28 - Fine save from @Nathan_trott to deny Kwame Thomas. Best chance so far.

Next Match: Sat 16th November vs Blackpool (a)

Jordan Hugill

Jordan played 28 minutes as QPR drew 2-2 at home to Middlesbrough.

MATCH REPORT:
"Former Boro player Jordan Hugill could have secured victory for QPR two minutes from time, flashing a header wide from Todd Kane's cross."

LIVE TWEETS:

62' Double QPR change. Hugill & Chair on for Scowen & Amos
74' So nearly back in front! Another delicious ball from Ryan Manning finds Jordan Hugill, whose shot deflects wide.
88' Agonising. Jordan Hugill gets on the end of Todd Kane's deep cross but his header flashes wide.

Next Match: Fri 22nd November vs Fulham (a)

Josh Cullen

Josh played as Charlton lost in injury time, 1-2 at Millwall. He came close to scoring in the first half, when his saved shot hit the crossbar and bounced almost completely over the line.

MATCH REPORT:
"The closest Charlton came before stoppage time was from an 82nd minute Josh Cullen free kick which Chuks Aneke couldn’t quite finish at the back post. "

LIVE TWEETS:

38' SO CLOSE! Cullen's shot is tipped onto the bar and onto the line by the keeper. The whole ball is not over the line, though. Inches away!

Next Match: Sat 23rd November vs Cardiff (h)

Grady Diangana

Grady assisted both goals as West Brom won 2-0 at Stoke to return to the top of the Championship.

MATCH REPORT:
"Grady Diangana nearly made it 2-0 when his low shot flew just past the post."

LIVE TWEETS:

20’ First real chance for us as Diangana breaks free on the right, but his shot goes straight into the side-netting.
73’ CLOSE! Diangana's low shot so nearly nestles into the bottom corner, but it ends up inches wide.

Next Match: Sat 23rd November vs Sheffield Wednesday (h)

Dapo Afolayan

not in squad

Next Match: Sat 16th November vs Macclesfield (a)

Aji Alese

Aji played as ten-man Accrington were eliminated from the FA Cup by League 2 Crewe, losing 0-2.

Next Match: Sat 16th November vs Rotherham (a)

OP UPDATED

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Cullen to win his second cap for Ireland tonight.