Welcome, Sebastien Haller

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Turns to Stone

Re: Welcome, Sebastien Haller

Post by Turns to Stone » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:07 am

We need to get players closer to him and he needs to work harder. Neither of those things will make any difference independently.

The truth is, we just have no drive from midfield. We only have one player in the squad capable of changing pace and that's Antonio.

Many of us were saying this all summer though. And the summer before that etc etc

I feel a bit sorry for him tbh.

Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:08 am

Beavis Danzig wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:05 am
i'm usually the first to sympathise with big buys running low on confidence, but i'm not even demanding goals from him. he's far less mobile than i'd hoped which is a shame (and i wasn't expecting much), but it's his complete inability to do the basics of a number 9 that's annoying me. you don't need to be massively in form to battle for headers or to take a ball down and lay if off to someone wearing your own colours, or to atleast give their centrebacks a few bruises to think about. even andy carroll in his lumbering final appearences managed that.

we've seen him play the same role far better at the beginning of the season and we were all talking about how if he plays like that, he doesn't need goals to have massively influence on the game. he was to be the physical fulcrum of the attack, not someone moping around getting bullied out of the game looking for tap ins.

I think he is still taking the ball down and laying off well when he is in the right place. It's the battling he is not doing, or putting in a shift to even get in a position to battle for the ball that worries me. I get that strikers get fed up with this system or are out of form but the minimum he should be doing is working hard.

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am

Give the dog a bone though !!!

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 am

Prob wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 am
He has no support or help up front, when you watch him he is working hard off to the ball to get into space and calling for it yet no one passes it forward to him.

This signing just highlights our owners really thought they could shut us up with one big big signing without putting in the support network around him. We need to play two up top to support each other
If you cost £45m you should be able to adapt to other systems, other tactics etc, or at least make a fist of doing it

He is clearly a one-trick pony and thus massively over-priced

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:23 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 am
If you cost £45m you should be able to adapt to other systems, other tactics etc, or at least make a fist of doing it

He is clearly a one-trick pony and thus massively over-priced

What is our system? What are our tactics?

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:24 am

Can anyone work out why he played well up front on his own at the start of the season. And now all of a sudden he has gone into hiding? :?

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:26 am

S-H wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:23 am
What is our system? What are our tactics?
No idea! I was just responding to posters who said that we are not using him properly becuase he was part of a three at Frankfurt

For that price, you expect a degree of versatility/ adaptability

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am

funky chicken wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:24 am
Can anyone work out why he played well up front on his own at the start of the season. And now all of a sudden he has gone into hiding? :?

We had Antonio playing and supporting him at the start of the season, Since he got injured, Haller has lost both, form and confidence.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 am

RARS, last night wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am
He's at a football club, with no infrastructure and can feel that absolutely no one at the club gives a f***.

Why would he strive to play any better than to turn up and get a paycheck?
Think that pretty much nails it.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:31 am

of the frankfurt front three:

haller was £45m and has done nothing of note since september. to his credit he got four goals and an assist or two in that time.

jovic was £65m, went to real madrid and can barely get a game now with his whole return being 1 goal, 0 assists.

rebic was £39m, went to AC milan who are having a **** season having already sacked their manager and residing in the bottom half, 0 goals, 0 assists.

maybe we need to accept the possiblity that they caught lightning in a bottle with that team which came from a perfect combination of its elements and made all three players look much better than they actually are. on paper i think we still got the best of the three and he showed plenty of promise early doors, but expecting him to be the player he was at frankfurt without recreating that side player for player (and manager) is unrealistic.

it's something haller needs to accept too, which is where workrate comes into it.

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:38 am

We can't keep coming up with the same excuse for different players. i.e. we bought a bad one or work rate etc...

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:40 am

S-H wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am
We had Antonio playing and supporting him at the start of the season, Since he got injured, Haller has lost both, form and confidence.
we also had Masuaku who gives an extra dimension to our attacking play as he stretches the play

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:40 am
we also had Masuaku who gives an extra dimension to our attacking play as he stretches the play
Yes, i'd have dropped Andersonn weeks ago for him !!

TommyHammer

Post by TommyHammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:56 am

Great video on how Haller will be best used effectively. I think it's such a poor and lazy argument to look at him as a player without looking at the system in which we're playing in. Pellegrini doesn't have a clue lets be honest.

Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 pm

TommyHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:56 am
Great video on how Haller will be best used effectively.
That's a decent video. We have had problems getting the best out of our strikers for years and I think the video highlights the changes we'd need to make to get the best of out Haller or anyone else.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:27 pm

Three big c-f bought for big money in the summer: Haller (French), Joelington (brazilian), Wesley (dutch)
None of these three have really impressed. Top scorers in the prem Vardy, Mane (haven't checked that!)
Is the era of the big centre forward past. Add to that list Benteke and Caroll as a waste of space and I'm beginning to wonder. Of course Chris Wood bucks the trend at burnley and Aubangyang isn't a titch (but isn't a traditional 'big man')

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:43 pm

TommyHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:56 am

Great video on how Haller will be best used effectively. I think it's such a poor and lazy argument to look at him as a player without looking at the system in which we're playing in. Pellegrini doesn't have a clue lets be honest.
Well there you go ! none of those options involved Haller being an isolated target man. So why are we insisting that he becomes a totally different commodity to the successful one we signed ? It makes no sense financially or tactically. Just because he's a big unit doesn't mean he is like Carroll. It's like buying an expensive highly rated fast road car and then complaining when it gets stuck in the mud on a farmers field !
What is the point ?

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 pm

funky chicken wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:24 am
I am struggling with that one as well. The only thing I have noticed is that earlier in the season he was dropping back/off the defenders and between the oponents midfield and then playing in the likes of Lanzini, Antonio and Anderson. Now he seems stuck to the two centre halves and makes little movement back or to the channel's. I also remember him closing players down, indeed, were there not several 'hard' challenges by him? I can only think he has been told to stay on the shoulder of the centre halves and not run around tackling and risking a yellow/red card. To be fair watching our team at the moment, several of our players look like they have been taken over by Aliens (Invasion of the Body Snatchers)!

Hammer in Hornchurch

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 pm

We quite often seem to sign players based on a particular strength and then not use that strength when they play for us, making it look like we have signed duds, or they have turned into rubbish players since joining us.
Bad luck or do we not check how new players would fit into our style of play/and with the type of players we currently have in the squad, beforehand ?
Haller being the latest, and same could be said when we signed Chicharito/Hernandez.

Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:05 pm

It's alright we've got Ajeti!!

Antonios Chelsea performance showed haller how it should be done. You get out what you put in & this bloke doesn't put in enough...