Welcome, Sebastien Haller

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Re: Welcome, Sebastien Haller

Post by sanchoz » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:16 am

More convinced with every passing game that having someone like Javier Hernandez along side him as a front two (hell, even Perez) would see so much more productivity from Haller.

szola

Post by szola » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:23 am

You do get the impression that he was promised something else than what he has been given.

As for someone else next to him, did he need that at the beginning of the season, when he was scoring goals?

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:25 am

haller makes carroll seem a fast and committed player. another awful performance from our main and only striker.
play ajeti up top with him.

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:16 am

I think he’s ok, but he needs help up there. Nowhere near enough support. We get in a position to cross the ball in the box and he’s there surrounded by three defenders.

If Moyes Is going to play one up top he’s better off playing Antonio up there.

Keeping Antonio fit is key. We may survive if he stays fit by dragging us through with his enthusiasm.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:49 am

Shame he's injured again, as I think Yarmalenko would be ideal as a second striker with Haller.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:56 am

yarmolenko is lazy weak and not interested plus injured all the time !

I hope we go for it in the cup play 2 up top

Randolph
U23 RB diop ogbonna masuaka
Antonio rice noble fornals
haller ajeti

subs martin Balbuena cresswell lanzini Snodgrass plus two other ??

1-0 west ham I hope ajeti !

Pob!

Post by Pob! » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:30 pm

He's a poor man's Steve Jones...

kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!

Post by kev » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:24 pm

Think we need to take into account he has bugger all help, movement around him, lack of service etc. Also he's come from a league that is nowhere near the same level or pace. I certainly wouldn't judge him on a season at a top club with all the support let alone a struggling one. Remember Henry, Bergkamp etc etc all needing time. It's a very different game over here and doesn't help when the team around you is utter *****.

DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 pm

He needs support up top, that much is clear. Couldn’t have illustrated it better than when Beast came on last night and they instantly linked up.

He does, however, need to work on his movement in the area. Too static and too easy to mark at the moment.

sendô

Post by sendô » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:43 pm

^ :scarfer:

He needs to put a bit of effort in too. Far too much standing still waving his arms for me.

BromleyHammer

Post by BromleyHammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:52 pm

Does any know the deal for him ie how much we paid upfront with add ons etc. I’m beginning to think it’s not 45m but more, 4.5m

StokeIrons

Post by StokeIrons » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Not used as a lone striker before we signed him, so why do we persist with it?

Looks far more effective with Antonio in tandem.

Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Disastrous business - temperament, tactics, workrate, skillset, price. All so wrong it's laughable. He can score a few more bicycle kicks if he likes, but for me, at the moment, he's up there in our top 5 worst ever signings.

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:19 pm

We make good players look bad.

He was sold a pup basically.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:50 pm

sendô wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:43 pm
^ :scarfer:

He needs to put a bit of effort in too. Far too much standing still waving his arms for me.
Yeah, regardless of services he needs to be working hard, if you aren't getting the ball, go looking for it, half of the stuff Arnie created was down to himself

NorthBank86
Location: Halfway up the North Bank, by the right hand post behind the goal

Post by NorthBank86 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Pretty clear that to function at his peak he needs two things.

Firstly, he needs (and wants) ball from wide positions put into the box early, so he can attack whilst being marked one-to-one. If you watch him carefully, when we get it out wide he actually takes a couple of steps back and springs as if to attack space, but because we are so ponderous his next move is regularly to put his hands on his head in frustration. Zabaleta and Fredericks can’t cross for toffee, Snodgrass can’t cross first time as he has to pull it back on his left foot, Fornals is more of a central midfielder playing left midfield, and the only player who regularly puts in early crosses that do prove dangerous is Creswell. Put simply, we’ve got a strapping centre forward who wants to attack the ball and we are simply not playing to his strengths.

Secondly, he needs players running beyond him. Every single time Lanzini has played with him, he has seemed ineffectual, but come on, he can’t very well f*** the ball on and then control it himself. Lanzini refuses to go past the last man, leaving Haller isolated. It’s no coincidence that he looks an entirely different player when Antonio is up with him running beyond, and also in the home game against Bournemouth when Anderson was given that central role and liberty to run beyond Haller; what a difference that made.

Tactics. There’s a decent player there, not a world beater but he has qualities. Pellegrini has lost interest in the detail, and Moyes is so ultra defensive he keeps erring on the side of caution, which nullifies Haller and invites pressure. First half Leicester 78% possession case in hand.

Derby Hammer

Post by Derby Hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 pm

On MOTD on Saturday, they analysed Bournemouth and Callum Wilson. They showed him winning a few headers, running on to the ball etc... and highlighted that he’s not done too bad a job, even though there was nothing to show for it. They then highlighted where the nearest Bournemouth players were to Wilson... miles away. This is pretty much how we’ve been playing with Haller (I’m not comparing Haller and Wilson’s qualities/work rate btw).

We seem to expect miracles from Haller when he ends up with the ball pumped up to him, but then can’t seem to get the ball to him when he’s in a promising position.

We spend our record transfer fee on a player, but then don’t actually change the way we play in any way to get the most out of them.

Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:37 pm

I thin he's been fine recently. Not good, but far from our worst.

I think generally the effort criticism is misguided. He ran a lot yesterday, particularly closing down and pressing in defense, probably ran twice the distance of Lanzini. He isn't going to make lightning runs with pace, what he will do given the opportunity (and he rarely is) is win the ball, move it on to another attacker then drive to the net for a return or a rebound.

He gets frustrated, but he has a right to. His flaws have been giving away possession too easily once he brings it down and finds himself alone, he isn't despite his size a player who is comfortable holding the ball waiting for others to arrive. On the other hand, he wins a ton in the air, he just has no-one to win the ball to.

Haller is definitively not anywhere near our biggest issue. If we can get midfield sorted and put him up top with Antonio I expect to see marked improvement. He's a very good round peg that we insist on trying to jam into a square hole, then get upset that he isn't a square peg.

jastons

Post by jastons » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:57 pm

For £45m I would expect a striker to actually do a bit. We could sign 3 strikers from the championship for less that would all put more effort in, and ultimately score more, than Haller.

Derby Hammer

Post by Derby Hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:59 pm

jastons wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:57 pm
For £45m I would expect a striker to actually do a bit. We could sign 3 strikers from the championship for less that would all put more effort in, and ultimately score more, than Haller.
Bit pointless signing three though when we’d still play one up top!

And having just looked, there’s only 12 players in the Championship who have scored more than 10 goals. So which of those do,you fancy? Mitrovic is joint top scorer and he’d have cost us £25m this summer.