Welcome, Sebastien Haller

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

hammer1975

Re: Welcome, Sebastien Haller

Post by hammer1975 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 pm

I’m a bit torn on him.

I get that he’s not had the kind of service that he has thrived on - and the ‘service’ to him and Lanzini yesterday in the first half wasn’t to feet, into channels or anything smart - it was high, long balls which they were easily outnumbered on. It’s clear that he’s not getting a few good crosses or some decent passes to get off shots in the box. That is certainly true and would reduce down anyone’s potency in goal scoring. He is starved of decent ball and it’s bewildering that our wide players still refuse to sling a cross in most of the time there is an opportunity. That must be confidence crushing and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him perk up significantly if he can play his more natural game.

However , I’m not convinced he works hard enough off the ball or really gives the defenders a physical challenge other than competing for (and winning) headers. Early in the season he flew into some tackles on full backs to let them know he was there - that seems to have gone. Part of his role that he was recruited for (and we were told about by people who’d seen him play) was that he was as much a provider as a scorer, he’d hold the ball up and create space for others. Yesterday Antonio did more of that in twenty minutes than Haller has for the last three games - and Antonio was being talked about being sold in the summer for a third of the amount we spent on Haller.

Maybe controversial but.....There seems a large view that Lanzini didn’t provide service to Haller yesterday - but the reverse could also be said about whether Haller created any opportunities for anyone else. Not saying that to suggest Lanzini was anything but poor yesterday - but my point is that Haller was no better than him in the first half yet seems to get a pass. Haller and Lanzini don’t appear pass to each other much, don’t read each other’s runs and one zigs when the other zags. They clearly don’t work well together (clearly Lanzini looks a shadow of the player he was) - but I’m beginning to think that our attacking malaise isn’t entirely down to our attacking mids.

HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Can you imagine if he did what Raul Jimenez just did? Run win the ball on the break. One two with a winger. Superb header. If only.

jastons

Post by jastons » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Watkins, Grabban and Mitrovic.

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 pm

I wonder what the other players think of Haller, Antonio knocks his socks off and this fella is stationary most of the time

Must be our worse Striker signing ever, Sandy Clark was better than him,

Haller is an effortless, lack lustre, big softy and don't tell he needs to play alongside someone, maybe a DiCanio or Messi or Ronaldo might help

I bet they don't even wash his shirt after the game as he don't break into a sweat

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Post by MB » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Confidence is a funny thing and he looks completely devoid of it.

I don't blame him for not running himself into the ground when he knows no one will be in the box even if he does. Savings his legs for his next club.

smuts

Post by smuts » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Bloke cannot wait to get out of dodge.

I'm just surprised his agent hasn't played the Payet/Arnie gambit. Kick off a bit, cause unrest and get sold for half of their actual value.

I suppose the issue is that at the moment no half decent club would go near him as he's not worth 4.5 million, let alone 45.

Bend it like Repka

Post by Bend it like Repka » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:15 pm

As I said to my brother today, Trevor Morley offered more than Haller.

Lazy, uncommitted, offers nothing.

If he stays our pivotal sticker then we will go down.

Pob!

Post by Pob! » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 pm

He needs to be ****ed off out of here..

Another useless over priced excuse for a footballer..

Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm

smuts wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:11 pm
Bloke cannot wait to get out of dodge.

I'm just surprised his agent hasn't played the Payet/Arnie gambit. Kick off a bit, cause unrest and get sold for half of their actual value.

I suppose the issue is that at the moment no half decent club would go near him as he's not worth 4.5 million, let alone 45.
He'll stay until the end of the year because he has no intention of getting a bad reputation. Then clubs will be all over him for a discount when we go down. He'll slot into a side that has a strike partner for him and a good midfield, get 20+ combined goals and assists and everyone in world football will (correctly) say.... "oh right, he's really good, West Ham is just a rubbish fire"

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:25 pm

you have to wonder how different things would be if pellegrini got his first choice over the line.

like most i was made up with getting haller and thought he was a more complete striker than the raw maxi gomez, who today got a brace against barcelona. i doubt a kid from uruguay would have the same tendancy to down tools and generally not look up for the fight.

but then this is west ham and we have the ability to destroy anyone.

smuts

Post by smuts » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:26 pm

Bend it like Repka wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:15 pm
As I said to my brother today, Trevor Morley offered more than Haller.

Lazy, uncommitted, offers nothing.

If he stays our pivotal sticker then we will go down.
Morley was a good player for us. Not a world beater but scored well over 50 goals in our colours.

He'd walk into this side.

Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:54 pm

I reckon whether we stay up or not, he's off at the end of the season.

He's just not interested. Sadly, there's a tiny bit of me that doesn't blame him.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:04 am

Lanzini, been a part of the team as far back as the final season at the Boleyn, signed after a loan when he allegedly had offers elsewhere, only cost £8/9m, was on about £30k for two years, with Arnie helped keep us up last time Moyes was here, had a serious injury. Is playing badly and gets rightly called out for it but there is outcry every time he’s included in the first team.

This bloke seems to get a pass from half our fans despite only breaking into a sprint every other game.

He’s turned into a **** Andy Carroll. I’d start Antonio up front on Wednesday and leave him to get splinters in his lazy arse. I’d even be tempted to recall Hugill to play ahead of him.

jastons

Post by jastons » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:23 am

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:54 pm
I reckon whether we stay up or not, he's off at the end of the season.

He's just not interested. Sadly, there's a tiny bit of me that doesn't blame him.
He needs to take as much responsibility as any other player. He does nothing! He doesn't show for the ball, he doesn't run in behind, he doesn't create space for other players, he doesn't drop deep for the ball and make things happen. He has scored the same number of goals for us as a 35 year old Brian Deane.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:28 am

MB wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:08 pm
Confidence is a funny thing and he looks completely devoid of it.

I don't blame him for not running himself into the ground when he knows no one will be in the box even if he does. Savings his legs for his next club.
You don't blame someone on 100k not running himself into the ground ?

Surely that is the least we expect.

Why are you letting him get away with that?

He is an absolute fraud

Probably the worst we have ever bought pounder for pound

Jumby

Post by Jumby » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:32 am

Probably the best in the air in the Premier league, the stats don't lie. Sadly when you look at the other parts of his game the stats don't lie.

In 1993 I got Trevor Morley on the back of my shirt, I saved up my pocket money to get him on the back of my shirt. If I was 10 years old I wouldn't get Haller on the back of my shirt, I'd probably be put off football watching this continual dross, years and years of it. At least when I was a kid a s**t season would be tempered with a fun one to follow it.

Duff

Post by Duff » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:36 am

The amount of times he just waits for the ball to come to him rather than go to it and challenge is unbelievable at school level let alone premier league. He obviously has no motivation to play for us. Looked good first few games but something is seriously wrong there.

SpongeBob's Pants

Post by SpongeBob's Pants » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:40 am

Has shown very, very little.

A fit Andy Caroll is better than what Haller has shown.

The contrast when Antonio is playing, is vast.

Ive said this before, but Haller is a big part of the problem.

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Post by MB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:03 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:28 am
You don't blame someone on 100k not running himself into the ground ?

Surely that is the least we expect.

Why are you letting him get away with that?

He is an absolute fraud

Probably the worst we have ever bought pounder for pound
Oh the classic as long as they break a sweat then all is well! Yet I’m the one letting him off easy.

Let’s say he runs the channels, who is breaking into the box to get on the end of it? If he presses then no one presses with him unless Antonio is on the pitch so it is pointless.

“Get in behind” requires space. We transition so slowly that most teams are set by the time we even think about getting the ball in the box. He can probably get caught offside a few times each game to make you feel better about his price tag?

We have one player capable of consistently hitting a cross and he is the slowest winger in the league.

So no I don’t blame him for giving up. He has tried all of the above at some point this season and now looks like a beaten man.

He is a shadow of the player of last season and I don’t think that is just down to him. You could put any striker in the league upfront for us and you’d get roughly the same result. Yes a few of them will get mud on their shorts but the goals for column won’t look any different.

Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 am

He's the biggest embarrassment of this whole sorry season. Doesn't show for the ball, hides in games, stands watching while Antonio and even Ajeti compete for headers, and then on the rare occasions when he does score, he doesn't even celebrate. The sooner he's out of the team, the better and I'd drop him for the next game.