The one player you wish had signed for West Ham

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

BondsoBob

Re: The one player you wish had signed for West Ham

Post by BondsoBob » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:25 pm

I probably should have made it clearer. What I actually meant was players that we were strongly linked with, but then never happened.
Such as my example, Gordon Banks.

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Post by Clucking Bell » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:27 pm

Banks is probably the stand- out example and even though Greenwood has been praised for doing the right thing by keeping his promise to Ferguson, you can't imagine Shankly or Busby being so generous. Clough might have though.

I can't really think of anyone else. Lacazette hasn't really been as impressive as I thought he was when we were linked with him. Weren't we linked with Maddison and Cairney last summer? If so, I quite like the former but, we dodged a bullet with the latter. However, in either case, I'd rather have any of our attacking midfield options.

Rocketron

Post by Rocketron » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Eider Gudjohnnsen, shirley?

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:45 pm

Matt Le tissier

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Actually more Tevez and Mascheraons...

Since then...

Something Husillos is doin now..

Balbuena is a good example.

AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:38 pm

Marcelo Salas.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:14 pm

hammers92 wrote:Jermain Defoe during the last year at Upton Park. A few more million spent on him instead of Jelavic and the other guy (forgot his name) and we'd have got those extra few points to finish 4th imo.
Didn't Sakho get injured in December too - Jelavic ended up going to China in February , we could have done with a January striker , not sure who but seeing as we only finished just 4 points off a Champions League spot it would have been worth spending on whoever would have got us the goals , Defoe as Hammers92 suggested would have been ideal .

I realise this isn't what the OP intended so I'll chip in with Didier Drogba - there were stories going round that had we stayed up in 2002/2003 Roeder had an agreement to sign Drogba from Le Mans or Guingamp [ or whoever it was ] , we didn't and he joined Marseilles instead then onto Chelsea .
He would have been good . :)

irons88

Post by irons88 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 pm

Didn't we have a deal agreed for Didier Drogba in 2003, should we have not been relegated? I'm sure it was for something ridiculous like £1 million. He'd be my choice if so.

Odessa

Post by Odessa » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 pm

Kenny Dalgleish.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 pm

Jimmy Greaves .

Oh , hold on..............

NedN

Post by NedN » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 pm

East_London_Hammer wrote:Batistuta or Ronaldo (Brazilian), wasnt we linked with Ronaldo when he went back to Brazil or did i just imagine that?

To be honest id take Ronaldo now just to see him in a West Ham shirt.
I can’t remember but I believe we were linked with either Ronaldo or Ronaldinho, or both, and we were for a fact linked with Adriano. Would have been interesting regardless.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 pm

Adebayor in 06 before he went to Arsenal could have been fun.

NedN

Post by NedN » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 pm

stu1 wrote:Is this meant to be within reason?

If not Ronaldinho, in his prime he was the most entertaining footballer I’ve ever seen.

His stats aren’t up there with Ronaldo or Messi but for pure entertainment he was better than both imo.
Just checked, he was linked to us...

Rewatch the clip of his game for Barca against Milan: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...unbelievable...made Pirlo, Gattuso, and Nesta look like complete mugs. Don’t think anyone has copied anything like that against top opposition in the past 20 years

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 pm

AnthraxDave wrote:Marcelo Salas.
Then, I have to say and add to that....

(as I in my post about Mascherano and Tevez said)

He was for the taking as he was, 20-22 years old... for... 2 m pounds, or least, I think..

(Thats why scouts and people who really SEE and understand about football is that important... )

Later with 22, he goes to River Plate, and the sold him later to Italy for about 20 m dollars.. crazy.

Still, There is a small anecdote to Salas...

As he was searching club to move on from Chile, he came to Argentina, and first was the talk about to sign for Boca Juniors, as they were the first club that scoutet him...

So, they told him, "Yeah, you can come, bring your things too and you can see the facilities"...

They do not had talk about fees, or contracts or nothing...

And as Salas has never been abroad and he come from a very rural/humble bakgrounds... he just felt alone and not been taking serious... that he left with his one single agent (I think it was only his father then), and went to the archi-rivals, River Plate...

To that time, chilean players were just not that famous, or well known as in those days, and even leass in the big game that the Argentinian League and Football is... not internet or big media, as today...

Moral of a fable: Go out there and scout, scout, scout scout... and just see tousands of tousands of football games and videos... and.. if you do your work right.. YOU WILL FIND some Marcelo Salas... some Ariel Ortegas... some Marcelo Gallardos, etc... For peanuts... or at least for 2 m pounds... NOT for the 20 m dollars...

And there are some... outhere... waiting for a chance...

And thats the chance a club like West Ham need and as a signal from the board..

To try to sign the Marcelo Salas and the Sebastien Heller BEVOR, when they were totally unknown and to get for 4 millions...

Thats the great deal.. the artistry of how good to sign...

:scarfer: