Not kicking a ball out for injuries

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Big George

Not kicking a ball out for injuries

Post by Big George » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:06 pm

I think this is the way forward, everyone knows where they stand and it’s the ref’s responsibility to blow if it’s serious
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49251887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson has told the other 23 clubs in the Championship that his side will not kick the ball out for an injury.

The Robins played on when Leeds midfielder Mateusz Klich went down during their game on Sunday.

It led to heated scenes on the touchline between the two sides.

"Somebody goes down and sometimes it's tactical, because people try and gain an advantage, and sometimes it's genuine," said Johnson.
:thup:

LeonRivers

Re: Not kicking a ball out for injuries

Post by LeonRivers » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:12 pm

I completely agree.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:12 pm

happened in the Citeh Bin Dippers game Sunday..

not sure who it was from the Reds but Citeh played on...the Reds were livid...not a head injury and the Blue half of Manchester were entitled to play on. then the Scousers got the ball back and what did they do ? played on.......

one of them indicated to a team mate to kick the ball out of play..

irks me no end. if the referee doesn't deem the injury serious enough then play should continue. if he stops it fair enough. if not, it's not the opponents "job" to kick the ball out.

WorcesterWHU

Post by WorcesterWHU » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Kicking the ball out for another player's injury has always done my head in, as it's often used tactically to disrupt momentum (defenders just pointing for opponents to put it into touch). Leave it up to the referee.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Oh no, I can already feel hives breaking out when thinking back to the Cup Final. :arry:

Not that I blame Scaloni (I get why others do) for being a sportsman. I get the other side of the argument but some times I value this behaviour more than desperately winning even if the other team are dying on the floor around them.

Di Canio catching the ball was another for me, rather see that **** than win at all costs.

WorcesterWHU

Post by WorcesterWHU » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Not that I want to start that debate but Di Canio caught that ball for Di Canio' sake, nothing more.

SiO

Post by SiO » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:40 pm

WorcesterWHU wrote:Not that I want to start that debate but Di Canio caught that ball for Di Canio' sake, nothing more.
Indeed, it was hardly a tap in from my memory

Whatsmore, if Bristol City have told the other teams their intentions then there's very little for others to complain about

Hockley Hammer

Post by Hockley Hammer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Colours never run wrote:Not that I blame Scaloni (I get why others do) for being a sportsman. I get the other side of the argument but some times I value this behaviour more than desperately winning even if the other team are dying on the floor around them.
I have never blamed Scaloni for kicking the ball out.

It was the lack of intelligence of the entire team for standing exactly where Liverpool wanted us to be.

Anybody with an ounce of sense would have moved the entire team out of reach of the throw and made the throw on go back to Shaka.

It might have won us the Cup. Self-inflicted stupidity.

NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Anyone who goes to matches knows this has become yet another scam. Strikers collapse to the ground when they lose the ball. For some reason professionals seem to accept this behaviour as part of the ritual but it is infuriating for spectators. If it's serious then the ref can stop the game. 95% of the time the 'injured' player gets up after a quick rub down and we've all had our game spoilt and wasted a couple of minutes. Play on. Play to the whistle.

Derby Hammer

Post by Derby Hammer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Wasn’t this one of the FIFA directives at the World Cup a few years ago? I’m sure I can remember them telling teams to carry on playing and that it’s up to the referee to decide if he wants to stop the game. Friendlies are completely different, but competitive matches - just leave it to the ref.

hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:30 pm

At last common sense. It was never the fault of poor old Scaloni. There were far more experienced heads in out team and should have handled the throw-in differently. And remember who made the run up the right for our first two goals, yes the much maligned Scaloni. Water under the bridge now I know but the whole thing will niggle me until I turn me toes up. Never been so gutted! :(

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Well done Lee Johnson.

Can't help thinking he'll be alone in this stand though.

Sherbet Dab

Post by Sherbet Dab » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Another part of the beautiful game which has become controversial and abused.
There was time when players could hear a leg crack, or know that clashed heads are about to flow claret and would kick the ball out sharpish.
Fair doo's to Bristol City, this is now down to the ref to call.

I still suffer :( when I think of Scaloni but you can't really blame him for it.

billywhitehorse

Post by billywhitehorse » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 pm

I've said for years that I would fine players for kicking a ball out if I was a manager. I remember a home match against Burnley a couple of years ago where they would feign injuries almost every time they lost possession.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:18 pm

It never used to happen. More bollox about the modern game. Headbanger

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:19 pm

The most ridiculous one was last season, we kicked the ball out as Hazard was winded for christ sake

IG8Hammer

Post by IG8Hammer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:26 pm

I agree.

Leave it to the ref, or save it for extreme circumstances where the ref may have missed it but it's obviously severe.

This whole courtesy culture that's developed annoys me. Especially when the player gets himself up 20 second later.

Samba

Post by Samba » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 pm

Hockley Hammer wrote:It WOULD have won us the Cup. Self-inflicted stupidity.

brownout

Post by brownout » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:55 pm

This has got worse and worse over the last few years.
Players know they can break up the game by going down 'injured'. The opposition kick the ball out and very often the don't even need the physio. They don't want them to come on because the 'injured' player will have to go off for a few seconds.
The ruling was the game should continue unless the referee decided it should be stopped. That has now been ignored. And players know the game has to be stopped for a head injuring so they just clutch their head.
Rugby League manages to play on with a physio on the pitch and football should try that too.

warontheterraces

Post by warontheterraces » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 pm

As with the other replies so far, anyone with a brain knows the majority of players falling to the floor and rolling around like they have been hit hard with a cricket bat are just feigning injury to stop the game. It’s all part of this stupid crap known as “game management” where you cheat, break up play and frustrate the opposition at every opportunity rather than try and beat them fairly by playing better football.

Cardiff and Brighton were well drilled in it at their gaffs last season both continually cheating at every opportunity. Fair play to the Bristol lads, they’ll get stick for it but way past time someone stopped this lucrative avenue of gamesmanship. Playing the game reasonably fairly seems to be frowned upon. I’m sure most genuine football fans are bored to death of game management tactics.