Is there space at The London stadium for a museum?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

RichieRiv

Re: Is there space at The London stadium for a museum?

Post by RichieRiv » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:12 pm

poplargeezer wrote:Didn't we once have a museum and there was some palaver about a really expensive model boat?

Memory might be playing tricks on me.
Nothing wrong with your memory mate. Terry did indeed commission an expensive model of a Thames Ironworks vessel.

It was at a time when the playing squad was getting or no investment

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:15 pm

poplargeezer wrote:Didn't we once have a museum and there was some palaver about a really expensive model boat?
Yes PG - 150 grand's-worth of model "ship", referred to here in this article from the KUMB archives:

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=2417

NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:First I've heard of this. I don't disbelieve you, but have you got any evidence to back it up? :shock:
Last season at Upton Park they sent out brochures flogging the family silver.

Utter scum, and a **** move that they had no right in doing.

Quickly forgotten by the modern day West Ham London, Twitter bods...

Francoisvander or else

Post by Francoisvander or else » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Here's the proof http://westhamauction.com/m/search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; certainly some items there that would make good exhibits in a museum.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:53 am

I think eggy's question was concerning the claim that they sold things that didn't technically belong to them. The fact that they auctioned off our history cannot be disputed.

The Old Mile End

Post by The Old Mile End » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:36 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:First I've heard of this. I don't disbelieve you, but have you got any evidence to back it up? :shock:
Back in the 90's the Australian Hammers gave Tony Cottee an award as Player of the Year. It was paid for out of supporters clubs funds. TC had it displayed in the museum. The club flogged it in the sale. As far as I am aware, no one asked the Aussie supporters club if it was okay to be flogged on. I was one of those who had paid money to purchase the trophy (didn't cost a great deal but that is not the point).

My old school presented the club with a pennant. They flogged this too.

Old players (since deceased) such as Ernie Gregory donated their memorablia to the club for display. These were flogged in the sale.

There were many other similar items, the sale of which was extremely distasteful to say the least.

Technically these items and others like them, were not really the clubs to sell IMHO.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:58 pm

The Old Mile End wrote:Old players (since deceased) such as Ernie Gregory donated their memorablia to the club for display. These were flogged in the sale.
50 years at the club in various guises, kicked out of Chadwell Heath and his memorabilia sold off.

Pretty shoddy treatment, especially as David Gold said this sort of thing wouldn't happen any more.

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm

I know a few people, myself included bought a couple items and sent them on to the families where possible.

The amount of ***** this board have overseen has been utterly disgusting. Despicable bunch.

The Old Mile End

Post by The Old Mile End » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Up the Junction wrote:50 years at the club in various guises, kicked out of Chadwell Heath and his memorabilia sold off. Pretty shoddy treatment, especially as David Gold said this sort of thing wouldn't happen any more.
Exactly. Thanks UTJ. I think I read it in EX or somewhere similar. Ernie put his medals etc in the museum because it was safer there than in his attic where no one could see them. I don't suppose he had thought about what happens to it all when he dies. I doubt very much he would ever believed there could possibly be a day when West Ham United would sell off his and his fellow players' memorabilia.

The more they flogged, the less they had to store/keep - the less the future expense. A museum at the LS would cost rental money. The shop is there, but probably pays it's way through retail merchandise. A museum? No chance of it paying it's way. I wonder where they are currently storing the stuff they did not sell?

The whole thing leaves a taste in my mouth that will never go away.

The Old Mile End

Post by The Old Mile End » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:47 pm

Happyhammer52 wrote:I know a few people, myself included bought a couple items and sent them on to the families where possible.
The amount of ***** this board have overseen has been utterly disgusting. Despicable bunch.
:thup: That's one of the best things I've read in a long while HH52. Thank you.

mushy

Post by mushy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 pm

The Old Mile End wrote:. I wonder where they are currently storing the stuff they did not sell?

The whole thing leaves a taste in my mouth that will never go away.
Probably in a skip along with the 150k boat, chucked out by the Icelandics (apparently).
I personally don't believe a word of it, my money says it's in Terry Browns house, along with half of the Lyall gates.
The selling off of our heritage donated by many including former players and former board members families (Betty Thomas for instance) is not only an appalling way to treat former stalwarts of the club, it's also morally wrong. I would also contend that it's probably illegal when your bear in mind that these so called gifts to the club are in the form of loans.
A bit like when the Getty's loan different galleries their paintings.
The people that have done this should never be forgiven.

Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:06 pm

For some reason this thread has for some reason brought back a lot of nostalgia about UP.

Haven't really thought about the ins and outs of the stadium for ages, bloody miss that place :(
Happyhammer52 wrote:I know a few people, myself included bought a couple items and sent them on to the families where possible.
Good on you HH52, glad to read stuff like this :thup: