A future West Ham manager in the waiting

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

lincolnhammer1963

A future West Ham manager in the waiting

Post by lincolnhammer1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:27 am

I have been wanting to tell this story for over a year, but felt the timing wasn't right.
Well anyway here goes.

West Ham has always been my team, even though I have no connection with London, Essex
or anywhere else in the south of England.

Growing up in Lincoln in the 1960s you generally as a kid picked a 1st division team to support
I was seduced by the glamour of West Ham United,
Other kids at my school followed more successful teams of the time, such as Liverpool, leeds Man utd

I never waivered with my support and even experienced some glory years through the 70s and 80s
,all be it from a distance

At 14 I went to my 1st West Ham game on my own, away to Notts County 1978. the excitement of that day i can still feel it . Since that day ive been a regular to many games home and away. the excitement and build up was always there, even though i often went home feeling deflated rather than elated, you know what i mean !!

During the whole of this time i have also followed my local team Lincoln City, going to many games, and believe me if you think West Ham have had it bleak over the years trying following a team like Lincoln.

Which brings me onto my main point.

3 years ago Lincoln City appointed 2 Essex boys to manage the team Danny Cowley and his younger brother Nicky.

These guys are dyed in the wool Hammers fans, and have completely transformed my local football club.We have been promoted twice, won our first domestic cup competion at Wembley .( dont laugh the checkatrade trophy)
We were the first non league team at the time to reach the last 8 of the FA cup having beat premier league Burnley away !!
Danny and Nicky have come to Lincoln and completely changed the whole feeling within the city.
Since West Ham moved to the Olympic stadium i have felt more and more isolated from the team that i really love. i dont feel the love anything like as much as i used too
I will still keep coming in the hope that i get the feeling back, but im not sure i will.

Anyway getting back to Danny Cowley,

This is a manager who I believe is destined to manage at the very highest level in English football. And if i could have him manage any club, i hope it will be West Ham,

He has all the right attributes to be a great West Ham manager, he's one of us and a great motivator.

Now i've brought him to your attention keep a watch on him, he's going all the way.

West Ham manager within 3 to 5 years get a bet on now, i have !!!

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: A future West Ham manager in the waiting

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 am

If you've not read this before, lincoln, you'll like it:

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3912

Marky

Post by Marky » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:07 am

I really admire what he has done. He is going to the top

likemydreams

Post by likemydreams » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am

what was the odds mate ?

BillericayDickie

Post by BillericayDickie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 am

Great post Lincoln will watch Danny Cowley's progress with interest :thup:

Fantastic article too, brought back memories of my childhood footballing education in Harold Hill and environs. Brenthill Wanderers were my team (followed in later years by Claparcro), played Gidea Park Rangers a few times. Always used to win - in part due to the lanky agricultural lump up front who used to score for fun 8-) . Anyway that was early 80s so I wouldn't have come up against the Cowley's.

Fabulous stuff though - thanks for posting Lincoln and thanks for the article link boss.

mushy

Post by mushy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 am

Went to Campion school in Hornchurch.(as did I).
I think the brothers have done brilliantly, they are the type of forward thinking, radical coaches that West Ham need.
Unfortunately our owners only pick trusted and stable managers. Hence, Allardyce, Moyes and Grant.

OFT

Post by OFT » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:28 am

lincolnhammer1963 wrote:
West Ham has always been my team, even though I have no connection with London, Essex
or anywhere else in the south of England.

Growing up in Lincoln in the 1960s you generally as a kid picked a 1st division team to support
I was seduced by the glamour of West Ham United,
Other kids at my school followed more successful teams of the time, such as Liverpool, leeds Man utd
!
Very similar story with me over in Crewe where 'glamour' was and remains at a premium.

Anyway, good read and fingers crossed.

Up the Junction wrote:If you've not read this before, lincoln, you'll like it:

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3912
As always, great stuff by HHS. I usually don't miss any of the articles on the front page although I don't remember reading that one. Mind you, these days, that doesn't mean I didn't read it :?

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:31 am

lincoln's piece above also duly promoted:

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=43623

FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am

I have kept and eye on these two since they were at Concord Rangers , they visited a vastly better squad of Basingstoke Town FC and promptly turned us over with ease, the energy and direction given from the Concord bench was enough for me to move from behind the goal to near the dugouts to watch these two in action. :thup:

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 am

I have certainly been keeping a close eye on the Cowley's and have been impreesed. :thup:

It'll be interesting to also see how a lot of our Ex player's get on in their first manager roles, to see if they could potentially be future West Ham managers too:

- Lee Bowyer at Charlton;

- Scott Parker at Fulham;

- (Don's tin hat) Fat Frank should he leave Chelsea.

If I was Pellers and IF Zabaleta was to retire at the end of this season I would also ask him to stay on the coaching staff to learn from him and potentially take over as of course Pellers isn't getting any younger. :thup: I think Zabaleta ticks a lot of boxes needed to make a great manager.

Sir_Trevor

Post by Sir_Trevor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 am

Both articles a fantastic read for anyone who has ever played or coached at youth level. Thanks for sharing. And good luck to the Cowleys. Would be great to see them succeed and end up here one day.

Marky

Post by Marky » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 am

I would take him next season as Manager.
Why not? We will finish 9th -14th with a negative goal difference this season. Let’s take a risk....no evidence to suggest we will do worse with Cowley.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:06 am

They probably are on the distance radar. There are a few other promising young managers managing down there and that is where most of the best managers start out their careers. Back them and give them a go, I think

r99c

Post by r99c » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:08 am

I've been saying for years that he's obviously a tremendous manager

Got Concord Rangers up to their highest ever division, think they may have won a minor local cup or something too, and got them into the FA Cup 1st round proper (took Mansfield league 2 to a replay, with a draw away from home before narrowly losing 1-0 at home) for the first time in their history.

Went to Braintree, got promotion into the Conference

Went to Lincoln, got 2 promotions and got the cup run whilst in Conference to playing Arsenal?

Tremendous achievements at three clubs and counting.

rudekid

Post by rudekid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:10 am

Being from Essex originally and schooled at FitzWimarc it's great to see these boys doing well.... Great start to the season for them so far as well so will be tracking Lincoln and the Cowleys progress...

LincolnshireHammer

Post by LincolnshireHammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:10 am

Plenty of Hammers in Lincolnshire! :crest:

Boo Boo

Post by Boo Boo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:19 am

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Plenty of Hammers in Lincolnshire! :crest:
True

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am

Marky wrote:I would take him next season as Manager.
Why not? We will finish 9th -14th with a negative goal difference this season. Let’s take a risk....no evidence to suggest we will do worse with Cowley.
You really dislike Pellegrini don't you?

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:33 am

It's good to see them doing the business for Lincoln, they taught my sons partner at school in Rayleigh, but they will never get a shot at a PL club, they don't have European contacts to scout players and elite PL players won't respond to coaches with no global reputation and that's if they would sign for us knowing who our coaches were. It's sad, but true.
If we went into the championship it would be a different story.

Marky

Post by Marky » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:34 am

No I don’t Jackhammer. How can you he is a classy gentleman?

I just think he is too rigid tactically and I think sometimes you need to change for the opposition. He won’t do that and I know he will never change.