A future West Ham manager in the waiting

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

ironilunga

Re: A future West Ham manager in the waiting

Post by ironilunga » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:36 am

Dont want to piss on anyones chips but I think this is very reactionary to the result last weekend against what I think is the best team in Europe.

We will he hailing the impact of Haller and Fornals by the end of the season. I am not so sure someone like Danny Cowley (with all due respect) would attract such names.

lincolnhammer1963

Post by lincolnhammer1963 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks for the positive feedback, I thought I would get pelters for saying they could manage the mighty Hammers!!
I truly believe Danny and Nicky have what it takes to be premier league managers.

Just to mention a few things that have changed about Lincoln City in the last 3 years

1 The whole city has come together in unison. We feel like a proper football club with loyal fans who are going to support the team for the whole game whether we are winning or losing. the atmosphere inside the stadium is fantastic,really loud and passionate ( just like the Boleyn)

2 People actually have conversations about lincoln city at work. 3 years ago we only talked about premier league teams and last nights game on the tv.

3 Home gates have gone from 2500 to 3000 upto 9000 regualarly
Away support is 2000 plus regularly as well. fantastic support for a relatively small city

4 I will always be a Hammer its part of my DNA. But Danny and Nicky have made me feel proud to be from Lincoln. And that is a very special gift to be able give to somebody.
We know we wont have them forever but we will look after them until they come back to Essex and the London stadium

come on you irons and up the imps

Tranq

Post by Tranq » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:49 am

West Brom took a look at Danny in the summer before they settled on Slav. Not sure how tempted Danny would have been, but the brothers seem to have taken to living in Lincoln. Their families have settled, and even the grandparents have move up here. Don't forget about Nicky. They come as a pair with Nicky apparently being behind the tactics - there is a great clip on You Tube of the 2 of them explaining how they set up the win over Burnley - search for masterclass/tactics/Cowley/Burnley. And Nicky came up with the 'lovetrain' corner that was stolen by Gareth Southgate!

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:50 am

Tranq wrote:West Brom took a look at Danny in the summer before they settled on Slav. Not sure how tempted Danny would have been, but the brothers seem to have taken to living in Lincoln. Their families have settled, and even the grandparents have move up here. Don't forget about Nicky. They come as a pair with Nicky apparently being behind the tactics - there is a great clip on You Tube of the 2 of them explaining how they set up the win over Burnley - search for masterclass/tactics/Cowley/Burnley. And Nicky came up with the 'lovetrain' corner that was stolen by Gareth Southgate!
[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JAjjINAH2CI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 pm

I enjoyed listening to that , seem a couple of nice young men with their feet firmly on the ground .

If I were them I'd stay at Lincoln -

Ironlunga is right about attracting the likes of Anderson and Haller to a club like West Ham if Danny and Nicky Cowley were in charge but I guess we could always employ a DOF for that sort of thing - thing is though , what type of owner would employ those two young lads as Managers of their Premiership investment - it would need to be a British owner of a recently promoted team I would guess .

Good luck to them .

hxhammer

Post by hxhammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Tranq wrote:West Brom took a look at Danny in the summer before they settled on Slav. Not sure how tempted Danny would have been, but the brothers seem to have taken to living in Lincoln. Their families have settled, and even the grandparents have move up here. Don't forget about Nicky. They come as a pair with Nicky apparently being behind the tactics - there is a great clip on You Tube of the 2 of them explaining how they set up the win over Burnley - search for masterclass/tactics/Cowley/Burnley. And Nicky came up with the 'lovetrain' corner that was stolen by Gareth Southgate!
A mate of mine from golf, is great mates with the Cowleys from when they were young, often going as their guest to games including Wembley the other year. Says they are smashing blokes and West Ham mad

West Brom spoke to them, well Danny, Twice and had the offer came, they said they would probably have gone, because its not too far from their base in lincolnshire, where they moved their families too after promotion from the conference.

He also confirms that their dream is to end up Managing West Ham one day

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:39 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Ironlunga is right about attracting the likes of Anderson and Haller to a club like West Ham if Danny and Nicky Cowley were in charge
They're here for the dollar, not the bloke who sits in the dugout.

I'm fairly sure Alex Song et al didn't see Sam Allardyce as some kind of football visionary.

Hockley Hammer

Post by Hockley Hammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:47 pm

I was in Vietnam last year on the day of the Checkatrade Final.

A husband and Wife came down dressed for that day's trip in Lincoln Shirts, which surprised us as we found out during the trip that the guy worked at Stamford Bridge.

They were impressed that we knew all about their manager and how well he was doing.

Was well chuffed for them when we got back and they had won the trophy.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:58 pm

I know they turned down Ipswich at the start of last season when they were in the Championship.

They've been on my radar for a while, been impressed with them, the next logical step is for them to do the business in the Championship, to be honest I thought Celtic might've gone for them in the summer.

DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:05 pm

The Cowleys are a really interesting prospect for West Ham.

It won't, and indeed shouldn't, happen now. Nor would it happen under our current ownership. But down the line they could well come here. If we get ourselves relegated again I think they'd probably be an absolute shoo-in.

djbubbles

Post by djbubbles » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:13 pm

What are the odds on him/them becoming West Ham manager/s in the next 5 years?

Tranq

Post by Tranq » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm

They are unusual in that we don't need to worry about missing out on them. Let someone else take the risk in the full knowledge that if they prove themselves good enough, they are likely to drop everything and coming running if asked. Irons through and through.

StevePottsGoalsReel

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Up the Junction wrote:lincoln's piece above also duly promoted:

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=43623
What a brilliant piece of writing.

Very good in its own right, but as someone who played in the Echo League at around the same time for a similarish club, all very familiar too.

Nice one HHS!

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:53 pm

ironilunga wrote:Dont want to piss on anyones chips but I think this is very reactionary to the result last weekend against what I think is the best team in Europe.

We will he hailing the impact of Haller and Fornals by the end of the season. I am not so sure someone like Danny Cowley (with all due respect) would attract such names.
I think you may very well be the only person on this forum that thinks this is reactionary, or has anything to do with Saturday's result.

Brilliant piece Lincoln :thup:

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Up the Junction wrote:If you've not read this before, lincoln, you'll like it:

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3912
That was a great article, really enjoyed that :thup:

sendô

Post by sendô » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Ah, the Echo league. That takes me back.

I remember playing against Gidea Park Rangers back in the day. This was early to mid nineties though, so maybe not the same time. We had a decent team and I was a much improving player until I gave the whole thing the spanish archer treatment at age 11 because I didn't really like any of my team mates.

LincolnshireHammer

Post by LincolnshireHammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:47 pm

lincolnhammer1963 wrote:1 The whole city has come together in unison. We feel like a proper football club with loyal fans who are going to support the team for the whole game whether we are winning or losing. the atmosphere inside the stadium is fantastic,really loud and passionate ( just like the Boleyn)
Few mates in the "617 Squadron", appropriate name for the area too. Fantastic group, we could do something like that at the OS.

Love the air raid siren at the bank too. They should really have the players walk out to the Dambusters theme tune IMO though.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Up the Junction wrote: They're here for the dollar, not the bloke who sits in the dugout.

I'm fairly sure Alex Song et al didn't see Sam Allardyce as some kind of football visionary.
Whilst i think the Cowley brothers will go on to manage at the highest level one day [hopefully at West Ham], the manager of a club will certainly have some influence on some players when deciding where to move to. Not as much as the pay cheque in most cases, but an influence nonetheless.

Having a 'well-known' manager like Pelligrini will likely be an influencer for foreign players, plus you also have to take into consideration the contacts and networks that managers have, both with other clubs and agents. If you are in with the agents, that is half the battle of signing players completed, because players often just do as there agents advise them

I doubt players were particularly motivated by Allardyce as a reason to sign on the dotted line, but for all his faults he did seem to have a network of contacts in the game [mostly crooked agents admittedly].

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 pm

mushy wrote:Went to Campion school in Hornchurch.(as did I).
I think the brothers have done brilliantly, they are the type of forward thinking, radical coaches that West Ham need.
Unfortunately our owners only pick trusted and stable managers. Hence, Allardyce, Moyes and Grant.
Im ex-Campion too..as is Alex Iowbi I recently learned.

NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 pm

I'm not really bothered if our manager has local connections or not.